Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

He's got better, more recent success than basically anyone available- His defense was 2nd in points scored in 2016. I'd feel better about him than Rex Ryan if I were a Chiefs fan IMO

I think you picked the one year since 2008 he's been in the top 10, and one out of four years in his career he's been in the top 20 by that metric.

Not that I'm a fan of Rex either, but Spags seems pretty underwhelming.

e: here he is by DVOA since leaving the Giants the first time:

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1088097600287444994

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Catfish Noodlin posted:

He's got better, more recent success than basically anyone available- His defense was 2nd in points scored in 2016. I'd feel better about him than Rex Ryan if I were a Chiefs fan IMO

Doesn't he run a 4-3? I don't think I want a guy who won't optimize the players already there. Chiefs are in their window now.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Spags? loving Andy.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Grittybeard posted:

I think you picked the one year since 2008 he's been in the top 10, and one out of four years in his career he's been in the top 20 by that metric.

Not that I'm a fan of Rex either, but Spags seems pretty underwhelming.

e: here he is by DVOA since leaving the Giants the first time:

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1088097600287444994

If I'm looking at hiring a veteran defensive coordinator I think my biggest concern is that they've hit a good level of success within the last 5 years or so- that they've at least got the upside of putting together a top defense in the modern meta-game.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Sataere posted:

Doesn't he run a 4-3? I don't think I want a guy who won't optimize the players already there. Chiefs are in their window now.

I don't know that I'd worry too much about that, Spags knows how to use quality DL and edge defenders. It's not like the Chiefs have real good linebackers who you might spoil.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Anyone is better than Sutton. He had the most uncreative, static, soft defense I have ever seen. If Chris Jones and Dee Ford weren’t incredibly talented I’d hate to see how much worse it could have been. No real stunts or loops or creative blitzes, barely moved guys around, sacks were got just off individual effort and talent

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

I mean I guess if Schiano's going to fit anywhere it's the most hated team in the league

Please make the Patriots defense do that stupid dive at the ball during victory formations

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This year really is the end of the MAGA Patriots reign of terror. This confirms it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So Miami's coaching staff is

HC: Brian Flores
OC: Jim Caldwell
DC: Patrick Graham

And the GM is Chris Grier.

blackest staff in the NFL?

:hellyeah: at least we have something unique going for us

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

I don't know how the gently caress Greg Schiano would work in New England. You're hiring a defensive coordinator with an entirely different defensive philosophy to what...learn your defense?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Ehud posted:

So Miami's coaching staff is

HC: Brian Flores
OC: Jim Caldwell
DC: Patrick Graham

And the GM is Chris Grier.

blackest staff in the NFL?

:hellyeah: at least we have something unique going for us

Jim Caldwell isn't the OC, he's going to be the QB Coach/Assistant Head Coach. I'm assuming the offensive coordinator is going to be a younger guy that Jim Caldwell is going to help out with.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Jim Caldwell isn't the OC, he's going to be the QB Coach/Assistant Head Coach. I'm assuming the offensive coordinator is going to be a younger guy that Jim Caldwell is going to help out with.

ah you're right

Have any names floated out there for OC

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I sort of respect the Patriots more now that they're openly leaning into it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Anyone is better than Sutton.

lol I watched every play of Spags' reign of error in New Orleans. Quit rubbing that lamp

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
steve spagnuolo is great when he has three all-pro defensive ends

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

I sort of respect the Patriots more now that they're openly leaning into it

I guess one way to prevent your coordinators from getting hired away is to hire the most poisonous assholes that other teams won’t touch as HC.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1088552602122547202
sorry kawalimus

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

pseudodragon posted:

I guess one way to prevent your coordinators from getting hired away is to hire the most poisonous assholes that other teams won’t touch as HC.

Fast forward to two years from now....

The Buffalo Bills are proud to announce their new head coach Greg Schiano!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/1088564261704683521?s=21

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm not sure what name I wanted, but I am pretty sure that's not the one.

schmug
May 20, 2007

man I was so hoping for Rex

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Guess it's time to head on over to RSR and see how the intelligentsia are taking it

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I'm not sure what name I wanted, but I am pretty sure that's not the one.
This is an Andy wanted to give his buddy a job hire and make sure his drug addicted son still had a job. It's a particularly not good hire considering the circumstances.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
You really can’t stand Andy Reid huh

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

You really can’t stand Andy Reid huh
I don't see the pieces to make the change like that and the move really doesn't make any sense.

He's completely bungling the Defense.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

could be worse, could still have Bob

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LiquidFriend posted:

He's completely bungling the Defense.

Andy Reid, offensive genius who once promoted his OL coach to DC is bad at defense?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Flikken posted:

Andy Reid, offensive genius who once promoted his OL coach to DC is bad at defense?

bad at personnel, really.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Flikken posted:

in his defense, that guy really really wanted to be dc

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1090298300882960384
Ravens hired a 63-year-old Reid alumni to design their passing game. He's mostly been a wide receiver coach, which will be his official title here.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Arkhams Razor posted:

Ravens hired a 63-year-old Reid alumni to design their passing game. He's mostly been a wide receiver coach, which will be his official title here.

"passing game"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Arkhams Razor posted:

Lamar is gonna need more help than that

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Dom Capers is now being considered for the DC job for the Bengals :negative:

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Doesn't he do 3-4? Why would we switch when we don't have the linebackers for it?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

No Irish Need Imply posted:

HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA!

Why?!

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
the history of the bengals is a history of pain

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
So uh ... about hiring the Rams QB coach

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im glad the cardinals got the guy that just talked on the phone with sean mcvay instead of the ones that had to be around him and catch whatever bad football disease he has

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hifi posted:

im glad the cardinals got the guy that just talked on the phone with sean mcvay instead of the ones that had to be around him and catch whatever bad football disease he has

Still the shakiest hire, but maybe the best one to have a chance at some semblance of an offense with what Rosen looked like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Adun posted:

So uh ... about hiring the Rams QB coach

I get the concern but he now gets to coach a QB with a proven track record of post season success so I'm sure it will work out