Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Kalli posted:

I think that's the one I'm referring to and of all the things to get mad at coaches about : trying to instill discipline in teams that are sloppy as poo poo doesn't qualify.

Like yeah, Patricia may suck out loud and fail, but that won't be why.

I’ll readily admit that I am extremely biased against Patricia because of the sexual assault allegations, but forcing everyone to run to “instill discipline” comes off as some extremely bush league poo poo. I don’t think a few instances of it is necessarily bad, but if it happened so often that an agent was able to accurately predict this opening day meltdown, then it sounds like Patricia has no idea how to balance motivation and discipline his team. That combined with the way he just stood there staring last night as his team was destroyed by the Jets is quickly painting a picture of a guy who has no idea how to coach in the NFL.

But again, extremely biased take here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion
Bill O’Brien and the Texans are 3-3, but they deserve to be 0-6. Those 3 wins were practically gifted to them and looking at the remaining schedule, they’ll probably back their way into several more victories, maybe even the divisional title.

O’Brien getting fired this season (or immediately after) was always a pipe dream, his offseason power struggle victory against Rick Smith and Bob McNair’s infamously long leash for coaches and general lack of awareness pretty much guaranteed his job security. But at the very least, I thought his many failures this year would at least heat his seat up and the organization would demand he finally hire a loving offensive coordinator, but even that seems less and less likely.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion
Lol if Gregg Williams coaches his way into a full-time job

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

DariusLikewise posted:

So is Riverboat Ron done?

It sure seems that way, especially with the owner’s comments a few weeks ago, but I guess he has Cam’s bum shoulder as an excuse.

If they think Cam’s going to be out for a good chunk of next season I wouldn’t be surprised if Ron gets the same treatment Pagano got last season, where he’s brought back as a sacrificial lamb for a year so their potential coaching pool isn’t limited to guys willing to come in and immediately eat 12 losses.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

Sataere posted:

In 11 years, Tomlin has made the playoffs 8 times, including two Superbowl appearances and a SB win. He's never had a record below .500 and had 8 10+ win seasons. The idea that he is underachieving seems to ignore the very important fact that winning in the NFL is hard. Arguing that he is underachieving while consistently putting in top five performances seems reactionary.

Like with most NFL coach evaluations, it comes down to how much of that is on the coach himself, and how much is the result of the roster. I’m not saying Tomlin deserves to be fired, but he’s consistently had one of the most talented rosters in the league over the past decade. He’s always had a HoF-caliber QB, multiple receiving threats, and either a really good defense (first half of his tenure), or an unreal o-line (today).

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

Sickening posted:

Can someone name the coach who is going to be an upgrade for the Steelers that they can get this offseason? I don’t think I have seen this just yet.

I don’t think the inability to name a potential coach that will be a definite improvement over the current one is a reason to argue against said coach’s firing. There were strong arguments against some of the best current coaches in the league before they were hired. McVay put up a lot of yards as OC of Washington, but his offenses were mediocre when it came to scoring. Pederson and Nagy were both relatively inexperienced and there were a lot of questions about how much the Chiefs’ offensive prowess was them or Reid’s.

Sometimes you just have to roll the dice. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it’s just the first step. People were really opposed to firing Reid on the Eagles, and then Chip was a disaster, but Pederson brought them a Super Bowl.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion

Sickening posted:

Making your team worse by firing your good coach is the first step to success, got it.

Well at least with that Eagles example, the team didn’t even get worse. Chip had two 10-6 seasons before he got fired during the year the Eagles would eventually go 7-9. Pederson had another 7-9 season then won the Super Bowl.

Reid was a good coach, there was no guarantee his replacement would be better, but the Eagles rolled the dice and had the Lombardi trophy half a decade later. I’m not even arguing that Tomlin should be fired, only against the idea that there must be a demonstrably better option out there before you do fire a good coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

2nd Battalion
Caldwell looks like a much better coach than he did last year by virtue of Patricia coming in and making GBS threads the bed with mostly the same roster and even coaching staff.