Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe he only thinks he's white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Bacter posted:

Yeah, it's totally unrealistic! Henry is a middle-class white guy living in the suburbs, so he doesn't fit any of the demographics for getting immediately shot on sight by the police! :v:

Eh, he's mentally ill. They shoot a lot of "crazy" people.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

To be fair if I was armed and I saw a guy carrying a decomposing human corpse and talking to it, I would probably shoot him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah, by that point they (correctly) assume that he's a psychotic mass murderer.
I really can't blame those cops for their preventive action. Would you go there and try to cuff that guy? For all they know he might have laced himself with anthrax just to spite them. He seems like the type.

Nevileen
Jan 4, 2008
hey so that was the worst goddamn thing to make the 'reason' why the rhyming was happening, jesus christ. Because 'he hates art?' If that's true, then there should be, as discussed before, multiple types of rhyme, and have different people use different rhymes as part of the world. Couplets? yeah sure, but there's so much that could have been done to really drive in 'There's a reason for this' and, again, it comes off as that the creator had no idea there were other types of poetry out there. I thought it was neat for like 5 seconds before going 'no, wait! That's really goddamn dumb!'

Speaking of, the endings are also a mess. The first ending is at least coherent in that we learn Henry is stuck in an eternal timeloop hell of his own making, damned to repeat the same things over and over and over again. It's not the most original ending, but after a whole game of learning what a loving monster this character is, it's at least cathartic in some way. I'm with baxter in that the first ending is fun because it's a great way to go 'oh, okay, this is why the world is off', especially if everyone else is experiencing the same thing with eternity going over and over again. You could even have a fun little thing of subsequent playthroughs having little things changed or dialogue being changed to reflect this - characters saying 'wow, deja vu' or '....have I done this before?'

And then the true ending goes and shits all over that, because it goes for an even more tired cliche of 'Henry is a crazy person taking care of his wife's corpse and gets shot on his front lawn.' Which is just....incredibly lazy, for lack of a better word. Stick with the 'eternal hell of your own making' ending and stand by it, instead of it being all in his head.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
No, don't you see? The reason the poetry is so lovely is because all the rhyming is in Henry's head, and he doesn't know anything about poetry! It all adds up!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I honestly can't tell whether I love or hate that ending. There's the glint of something brilliant here, but it needs so much work before it'd be anything more than a clusterfuck. At the same time, I love ambitious messes, and this fits that category.

I'd love to see some of the other endings, if you're up for it Bacter. One credit for the creator is exactly how things can go off the rails in different ways.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

That Lone Survivor LP was a nice and relatively quick read! While some readers had similar complaints about the ending and setting, it does things a LOT better than this game. Definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoyed this LP. I enjoyed playing Lone Survivor, so I didn't get discouraged and give up. But after playing all the way through a few times, I don't think I'd have the urge to pick it up to play through it myself again.

Anyway, back to IFFG. While the "cause you hate art" justification is absolutely ridiculous, I did really like the effect of the text rhyming in one world then flipping back to normal. It might have been better without ever giving any justification at all. Just let us come to the realization ourselves that the rhyming world is all a delusion, without needing any specific reason why it's like that.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Incidentally, I think if you turn off rhyming dialogue, Henry still rhymes in his dreams, just not during normal day-to-day conversation. Working on one of the Very Different endings!

Here is the "bare-bones" walkthrough. It's kind of a neat idea, though it's unfortunately hard to follow in reverse.

I don't really care about spoilerth now that we're done with the main playthrough, so if you'd rather not know anything about the other paths, give this a miss, BUT, if you want to read through the last pages of the thing and find something that you really want to see, let me know and I'll try to gun for that ending.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'd like to see what happens if we mention the nightmares.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A bare-bones walkthrough should be less than 120 pages.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ultrafilter posted:

A bare-bones walkthrough should be less than 120 pages.

Every branching decision causes an exponential increase.
I wont bother to read that, but I'd expect there are some redundancies.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It looks like there are "cluster" endings. The dev has said there are 20 "real" endings, including the "premature" endings, i.e. dying before day 5. There are for sure more than 20 "last" pages in that, so a bunch of decisions can lead you to the same place.

For instance, saying you need to do more research before giving Grace the pill, you actually still end up giving her the pill, or at least I did, so I imagine things could proceed similarly.

One difference is I killed Harris with a meat cleaver and disposed of his body in Doris' kitchen. She discovered that, and wanted me to do some stuff or she'd rat me out, replacing the Mrs. Harris sequence. But that didn't seem like it was going to replace the ultimate events.

I think one of the BIG choices is having an affair with Mrs. Jones or not. There's a character so important that she's one of the named, profiled characters on the IFFG webpage that we never got to interact with at all, that is unlocked by having the affair. It's the crying lady in front of the apartments

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Is there a possibility for a 'maximum body count' playthrough?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Keldulas posted:

Is there a possibility for a 'maximum body count' playthrough?
Add your body to the pile, it's 85% off now.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/672230/

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

So this happened in Vilkacis' Fire Emblem romhacks thread

and I thought of you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SelenicMartian posted:

Add your body to the pile, it's 85% off now.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/672230/

Some things are best experienced vicariously.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

There once was a reader named Zedd
Adventure games filled him with dread
But he heard of this tale
And he saw it on sale
He'll post his reactions in-thread

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

PHEW

Just a short gap there :v:

But then, I gave up my schedule and ANY sense of responsibility.

So I'm basically looking for things that look neat in endings, for the few alternate endings imma do.

One will be the carbombing of the police, for SURE. This first one? I wanted to see the ending where you actually use the skull of zanzibar.

Spoiler alert: the skull is VERY disappointing, but lots of other things are NOT. What I learned was, the main playthrough we did actually organically fit together much better than... well, you'll see. Than it could have!

ENJOY, NERDS!

Give it a bit to process, ya animals

Also: Lord Zedd: any reactions?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...okay, I did laugh at how the affair with Ms Jones unfolded. That would honestly have fitted into our 'canon' run. (Fitting that he still doesn't know/care what her first name is afterwards.)

I agree it makes no sense for that to be the event flag to trigger this entire story arc though :psyduck: how does not wanting to cheat on your wife (again) lock you out of tons of content from characters who have no idea if you did or not?

I guess because we know most of this game is just a hallucination anyway it kind of makes sense for Henry to see himself differently after cheating, except he's a horrible person who doesn't care and there's no reason why you'd get bonus content for being terrible.

also jfc only Henry would straight up kill an elderly abuse victim to get through a door.

...and then Ms Jones. Uh. What the gently caress. :psypop: Quite apart from the whole 'wait what why' aspect, that is NOT how nuclear reactors work or how radiation works and also why the hell is there a nuclear reactor in the basement of a random office block/lab what the ffffffuuuuucccccckkkkkk

I just. What.

I would say I'm glad you're back with this, but...

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I just like that Harry, thinking fast, comes up with the nuclear reactor plan.

I mean, we've already settled on MURDER, that's easy enough. Lure her down there and bash her brains in, I guess!

It doesn't help that this is BY FAR the least critical 'crisis' we've seen so far. I'm here to tell you, if this company had somebody come up with a major, major breakthrough, but then a spurned lover showed up being crazy? They, uh, wouldn't care. They'd make sure she left. She isn't DORRIS, she isn't actually dangerous, as far as we know.

It's just... it's pretty funny, is all.

I think for me, this run really highlighted how just time-filling a lot of this stuff is. The whole thing with Dave is set up like a real mystery, as if we don't know what happened immediately, from day 1. In our playthrough, GENERALLY, what we did next made SOME sense. It wasn't smart, necessarily, but if there was ever something non-obvious to do, we could listen to the conversation at the lunch table, or talk to Dawn.

Here there are I think three or four times when I would have had NO idea what to do without the FAQ, and where I guess... I'd just have to click on everything in the world. The GIANT world. That's no bueno.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bacter posted:

The real horror is looking in the mirror and Henry staring back at you.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

The real horror is looking in the mirror and Henry staring back at you.

:suicide:

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
So I guess I misunderstood something about the plot: I had assumed the apocalypse ending (and the time loop) were a direct consequence of letting Evil Corp mass produce the pill (by giving it to Grace without testing, not mentioning the nightmares, or maybe some other choice I'm forgetting). Does that just happen every time no matter what? Kind of disappointing--I thought we had lucked in to the darkest ending.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Having not seen all the endings, I'm not 100% sure. I can guarantee that there are playthroughs that don't end with "then go right into the medical ward for the ending cutscene" (and I'll be gunning for one of those next). I think the cyclical nature of this week will probably be preserved somehow, though?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Bacter posted:

PHEW

Just a short gap there :v:

So I'm basically looking for things that look neat in endings, for the few alternate endings imma do.

One will be the carbombing of the police, for SURE. This first one? I wanted to see the ending where you actually use the skull of zanzibar.

Spoiler alert: the skull is VERY disappointing, but lots of other things are NOT. What I learned was, the main playthrough we did actually organically fit together much better than... well, you'll see. Than it could have!

ENJOY, NERDS!

Give it a bit to process, ya animals

Also: Lord Zedd: any reactions?
Wow. This whole game, just... wow. Thank you for displaying this monstrosity.

(Also, I think something went wrong with the video encoding there - there are a lot of what look like compression artifacts, especially around the text.)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm glad you... enjoyed? It? I feel the same way. I think!

Hoping that the video issues were addressed, I'm switching from FRAPS and avisynth to OBS and avidemux, so there's a bit of an encoding learning curve!

I DO know that I enjoy these next two endings: they're much shorter videos, lots more cut out, but... they've each got their moments. As you'd expect at this point.

Probably 2 more alternate endings coming after this one - a high body count one, and a kind of unexpectedly sweet one out of NOWHERE!

EDIT: ALSO, I'm interested in hearing what your favorite rhyme of the whole game was - I'll post everybody's round-up list here, and the winner gets a little sumpin' sumpin', as I mentioned in the FP!

Edit edit: Thought not.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 8, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, I'd say 'foetus/poetess' except THAT IS NOT A RHYME :bahgawd:

Most memorable attempt at a rhyme, at least. Pretty sure I don't have a favourite, everything else has blurred together into a mess. (Unless rhymes posted by goons count.)

Actually no, my favourite has to be 'gently caress OFF! JERK-OFF!' from this update :allears:

...that axe moment. I guess some of these alternate paths do make it much clearer that Henry has lost his loving mind.

I agree it's weird they're investigating Harris now but not on the other path. And it's weird they're only investigating one person given the heap of bodies we've left scattered around.

oh holy gently caress that ending though :stare: That laugh's gonna haunt me.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AXE OUT OF NOWHERE

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

AXE-IOM: I DON'T GO TO JAIL!

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
My first thought with 7-12-9-14 is that it's A=1, B=2... encoded, but I don't know what GLIN would be. Glad they didn't go with 8-5-12-12, at least.

Given how these endings have worked, it seems like not giving Grace the pill would be a huge divergence. How do they railroad you back on track?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Funny you should ask, actually!

LET'S FIND OUT

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm not going to rack my brain too hard trying to remember the absolute worst rhymes, this one from this episode is definitely my new favourite :

Sir, please move along,
or I'll nightstick your dong.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Bacter posted:

AXE-IOM: I DON'T GO TO JAIL!

If only this game had terrible puns instead of terrible rhymes...

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I don't really think axe we need to go for the demonic possession angle to justify Henry's random acts of murder. Whether you go for the literal apocalypse interpretation or all in this head interpretation, both happen in a nightmare reality Henry created through his own lack of empathy and opportunistic greed. When push comes to shove Henry will always put himself over the well-being and in extreme cases even the lives of others, that's just who he is.

Incidentally that's why I have no problems with the "all a dream" ending, because fundamentally there's no difference between his wife becoming a Satan and putting him in his own tailor-made hell, or his own subconscious making an internal nightmare because the guilt of being a horribly lovely husband finally caught up with him. Either way he is stuck in a world that only exists to torture him, is filtered to the player entirely through him, and either way Henry is still a garbage person that makes life worse for everyone around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I don't understand how a lot of these alternate paths are structured. Why is this particular method of dealing with Harris only available after making several choices that have nothing whatsoever to do with Harris' sub-plot? Why does the favour Dawn wants depend on Henry doing something totally unrelated to her that she is unaware of? I suppose it's so multiple playthroughs can actually be considerably different from one another, but it just seems so random and disjointed.

• Locked thread