Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
From my (super enlightened) Swedish perspective:

Close/close are pronounced exactly the same way and rhyme perfectly with goes, unironically.

Pain and again don't normally rhyme, unless you're speaking some kind of accent.

As a Swede, I'm formally declaring myself as the official adjudicator of any rhymes in this game :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Covski posted:

Close/close are pronounced exactly the same way and rhyme perfectly with goes, unironically.

I'm not Swedish but I 100% agree with this.

Sometimes I really dislike the English language.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Man, you guys live next to Finland, and you're mad at ENGLISH for being bizarre and difficult?

As of like 2 years ago, the last time I was caught up with this, this whole comic was amazing, and unless something awful happened in that time, I heartily recommend it

Bacter fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 28, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

HardDiskD posted:

I'm not Swedish but I 100% agree with this.

Sometimes I really dislike the English language.

If it makes you feel better, as a native American I also find myself hating the English language at times :v:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Say what you want about Finnish, but at least the spelling is 100% phonetically correct!

And for what it's worth, all the Icelandic words in that example are completely understandable in Swedish, albeit via somewhat archaic words that are well known but rarely used.

Edit: I'm speaking speaking specifically about tungumál = tungomål (literally tongue speech) and veikur = vek (the root of the English word "weak"). The rest are pretty much obvious.

Also sorry for turning your LP into the scandinavian language thread :v:

Covski fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 28, 2018

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Oh my god, why did the artist make the Finnish cat look so sad. He's adorable but it's a bit heart-crushing.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fwoderwick posted:

Also British and personally I'd give Again and Pain a pass. Not sure if it's a Northern thing but I pronounce them 'ah-gay-n' and 'pay-n'. In the South I'd expect to hear 'ah-geh-n' though.

The moon language that is the phonetic alphabet has them down as the same anyway: "peɪn" and "əˈɡeɪn" (or "əˈɡɛn").

Speaking of, maybe the dev could have used that as a resource, but to be fair they were quite busy doing all of the everything.

Yeah, again and pain does sort of work (also British). I tend to pronounce again differently based on the sentence it's in. In all the examples so far I wouldn't naturally have made them rhyme, but it's not too weird to me if it does.

(Then again some of my pronounciations can be a bit off, as a side effect of reading way above my 'recommended' level for far too long as a kid and having to guess or make up pronounciations for a lot of words I'd never heard said aloud.)

English is a bastardised mongrel language anyway, you can forgive a lot of things. But nothing on this earth will ever justify poetess/foetus.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Huh, neat language notes-

*several hours of marathoning later*

I both love and hate you for exposing me to this Bacter.

That being said the comic's oddly thematic all things considered, in that it does a much better job of "the supernatural creeping into reality" kind of thing that this game is going for - actually who am I kidding it's more of me wishing that there was a game more like that.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It’s kind of Like the banner saga in IFFGs universe.

Aaaand now I’m going to read 400 more pages to get caught up. U-update still on for Monday!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Again can be rhymed with pain or with pen in standard (RP) British English. Both pronunciations are normal and are used in poetry and in song lyrics. In normal speech I vaguely suspect that rhyming with pain is for emphasis (in “not again”, if you want to stress “again”, you’d lengthen the sound so it rhymes with pain).

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Sure, I mean, we know HOW it rhymes, it just sounds really doofy. At least to uncultured Yank ears, nobody says "uh-gain" unless they're affecting a 40's hollywood accent or some upper-crust British thing.

MEANTIME, ME HEARTIES:

It's time for the "everything is fine, no problems what are you talking about it's fine! It's FINE. IT'S FINE." Update!

And there are TWO CHOICES to be made. I'm going to spoilertag them here, but don't feel compelled to spoilertag your votes. As I say in the update, one of these is VERY important, and one is not. It's genuinely hard to know which is which! GOOD LUCK!

ELOPE WITH GROCERY LADY or DON'T

and

MENTION NIGHTMARES or DON'T

Edit: I know I say this a lot, but, I DO recommend reading at least the downtown and therapy sections this time! One of the decisions is downtown, and therapy is amazing as usual, though for different reasons.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 1, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Call me crazy, but let's not try to elope with some random cashier. It's the kind of thing that sounds like it will begin and end in Vegas.

Also mention the nightmares. I get the feeling that maybe that might help stop this. (We're already totally screwed, aren't we?)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Absolutely do not under any circumstances mention the nightmares. Henry hasn't acknowledged them when they're serving as his new wife-powered alarm clock; he sure as hell isn't going to now.

And don't elope with the grocery lady because she deserves so much better.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Don't elope, and don't mention the nightmares.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Don't elope - that would make more sense in the timeline where we don't give Grace the pill, I think. As if sense is an issue at this point.

Mention the nightmares - let's at least pretend we're still capable of doing the right thing once in a while.

You've got a broken link to the "Heated1.png" near the top of the office section.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Don't elope.

Don't mention the nightmares.

Henry is garbage but damnit he's not cheating garbage.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't elope.

Don't mention the nightmares.

Henry is garbage but damnit he's not cheating garbage.

Umm did you miss the part where he did that already?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Umm did you miss the part where he did that already?

I woke up an hour ago, it's too early to remember every horrible thing he's done.

Let me rephrase: he's garbage, but whenever the mysterious people controlling his life get a choice, he doesn't get to be cheating garbage.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Fair enough. As for my vote, it's the same, Don't elope and don't mention nightmares

I want Henry to at least hang around to have everything fall apart.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Don't elope but do mention nightmares.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I woke up an hour ago, it's too early to remember every horrible thing he's done.

Pure poetry. :allears:

No eloping, no mention of nightmares.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Don't elope but do please show us the dialogue option for Henry just randomly suggesting to this grocery store clerk that she should run away with him.

Don't mention the nightmares, as other people have pointed out Henry canonically doesn't care.

I like this update just for all the frustrated retail workers who finally get to tell an annoying customer that just because he chooses to babble inanely at them every day and they're not allowed to walk off or cover their ears that doesn't mean they like him.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Does the nightmare death curse only apply to Henry's nightmares, or would talking about Grace's nightmares also trigger it?

Assuming it's the latter, I dunno if killing a boardroom full of people Henry despises because they're his superiors or causing immense mental and emotional anguish to untold innocents is the more Henry thing to do here.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

No Elope because why should Henry let any other person get a share of his newfound wealth? We already have Grace and uhhh.

Don't mention the nightmares One person getting nightmares and going crazy is not worth mentioning. I mean, WE have been getting nightmares and we never took a pill, right?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Don’t elope, even though I wouldn’t be shocked if the true ending is hidden in her pants.

Don’t talk about the nightmares. Lol, just lol if you think Henry would try and do any kind of scientific process and hold back his career in the process.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Don't elope.
But do mention the nightmares purely because I really want to see how exactly Henry handles bringing them up.
"Uh, I know I'm awesome and all, but this drug does cause horrific suicide-inducing nightmares, just FYI..."

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Don't elope. Henry doesn't care that Grace is going crazy, just that she isn't physically dying so he can move on with HIS CAREER!
With that said, definitely don't mention the nightmares.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So it's pretty clear that we're going to NOT ELOPE at this point. I do just want to point out that the dialogue literally goes (roughly)

Grocer: ...
Grocer: Don't you... have a wife?
Henry: She's not the woman I married anymore, she's changed! She went crazy!
Grocer: Oh what the heck, not like I have anything to lose. Meet me in a day or two here.

He's Henry! :suicide:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bacter posted:

So it's pretty clear that we're going to NOT ELOPE at this point. I do just want to point out that the dialogue literally goes (roughly)

Grocer: Don't you... have a wife?
Henry: She's not the woman I married anymore, she's changed! She went crazy!
Grocer: Oh what the heck, not like I have anything to lose. Meet me in a day or two here.

He's Henry! :suicide:

I'm genuinely glad we saved her from Henry.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Do not mention the nightmares

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Glad we're not eloping.

Don't mention the nightmares. Gotta get that C.R.E.A.M.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Don't elope and don't mention the nightmares. This is Henry's career, after all.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Don't elope and mention the nightmares, only because I want to see if more people get killed in gruesome ways.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

We're already not eloping; don't mention the nightmares. There's no way Henry would let some bad dreams ruin his time to shine, even if it maybe did kill his therapist and make his wife a bit odd.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
Caught up with the thread, loving the LP so far. I'm going with mention the nightmares because half-assedly doing the right thing much too late also feels in character.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'm going to say mention the nightmares because I'd like to see the company fully acknowledge it's evil corporation status by not showing any concern whatsoever for blackspotitus.

Also against all evidence thus far, maybe it'd be the start of Henry realising he's an utter tool and I'd be interested to see how the dev writes that. Even if there is a path to redemption route I fully expect him to do the right things for all the wrong reasons.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
A bit metagamey here but eloping seems like it might be the parachute option for if Henry completely hosed up his life. We got the keys to the hell door or whatever and his career is looking up, what could go wrong? :pseudo:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Someone mentioned and linked this in the LP for Restaurant Empires 2 and I read it all over the past few days. At least I haven't missed the ending! Or all the much better poems people here have been writing, but it's good to know I'm not the only one mentally rewriting half most of the dialogue in an attempt to make it less painful.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

And I'm glad you're here now because, folks.

Oh folks.

It's time TO FINISH THIS

I would really like to hear what you think about this ending. I've got... some thoughts, obviously, but I didn't say all of 'em.

Ready yourselves as best you can, tell me what your favorite thing was about it, because goons. The delights. Are MANIFOLD.

Thanks for tagging along for this LP, everybody! It was absolutely a blast and a half, and I'm glad we could all, uh 'experience' it together!

I might do some more short video segments on other paths through the game, obviously there's a LOT left untouched, but this is it for the main run!

Edit: gonna fix the Mrs harris portrait Typo tomorrow :v: but I see it!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
:stare:

... 'kaaaaaaay. Well, that certainly was an ending!

(Is it wrong of me to want to believe that Mrs. Harris' first name is... Beth?)

• Locked thread