Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the worst of the development in Tallahassee is all around FSU and I saw similar nonsense at USF in Tampa so there's probably some truth to that. Wondering who's going to tallahassee to pay $1100 in rent every month when my sister's old place (currently being torn down for new construction) was $350 a month just two years back

The first group that comes to mind is Chinese money launderers using their child's education as a vehicle for turning their Yuan into Dollars. The second is bougie alums and legacies.

In addition to the upscale development throughout the space between Downtown and Midtown, there's also a new shopping area near Archer filled with Darden chain restaurants, a Costco, and a Bass Pro Shops. They've even started renovating some of the buildings at UF in Sorority Row that are really old. And yet, there's nothing new to alleviate traffic to any of these already high traffic areas. wew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

hell yeah big sexy

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the worst of the development in Tallahassee is all around FSU and I saw similar nonsense at USF in Tampa so there's probably some truth to that. Wondering who's going to tallahassee to pay $1100 in rent every month when my sister's old place (currently being torn down for new construction) was $350 a month just two years back

idk why but you made me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um8K-eafDac

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

off to a great start! :buddy:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Shageletic posted:

Wanna give more details on that?

Basically Tallahassee has been having the worst :tm: crime stats in the state for a couple years running, and there's been a corresponding response by police forces. Doesn't help that the city and areas around it have like two dozen overlapping jurisdictions and that the city is heavily segregated on economic/racial (near synonymous for tallahassee) lines. If I'm remembering correctly they've already tazed two or three people to death this year alone.

Xelkelvos posted:

The first group that comes to mind is Chinese money launderers using their child's education as a vehicle for turning their Yuan into Dollars. The second is bougie alums and legacies.

In addition to the upscale development throughout the space between Downtown and Midtown, there's also a new shopping area near Archer filled with Darden chain restaurants, a Costco, and a Bass Pro Shops. They've even started renovating some of the buildings at UF in Sorority Row that are really old. And yet, there's nothing new to alleviate traffic to any of these already high traffic areas. wew.

Fun addition to this, the University itself actually owns and leases a lot of the land that got flipped. A good chunk of the grift went to more local oligarchs connected/on the boards as well -- i.e. the people the feds are looking into-- but I'm more fuzzy on the details. There's also a contingent of developers tryna bulldoze a local nature park to pave over and replace with pickleball courts (among other amenities) so Tallahassee can also gentrify off sniping the Villages crowd. Fun times all around.

Also the answer to "whos gonna pay for these overpriced condos with decent location near campus" is all the upper-middle "daddy owns a (x) business" kids. Rest of us are getting pushed further and further out -- or into odd pockets.

ThatBasqueGuy has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Aug 29, 2018

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

how do you bankrupt the state by raising taxes :psyduck:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Basically Tallahassee has been having the worst :tm: crime stats in the state for a couple years running, and there's been a corresponding response by police forces. Doesn't help that the city and areas around it have like two dozen overlapping jurisdictions and that the city is heavily segregated on economic/racial (near synonymous for tallahassee) lines. If I'm remembering correctly they've already tazed two or three people to death this year alone.

Fun addition to this, the University itself actually owns and leases a lot of the land that got flipped. A good chunk of the grift went to more local oligarchs connected/on the boards as well -- i.e. the people the feds are looking into-- but I'm more fuzzy on the details. There's also a contingent of developers tryna bulldoze a local nature park to pave over and replace with pickleball courts (among other amenities) so Tallahassee can also gentrify off sniping the Villages crowd. Fun times all around.

Also the answer to "whos gonna pay for these overpriced condos with decent location near campus" is all the upper-middle "daddy owns a (x) business" kids. Rest of us are getting pushed further and further out -- or into odd pockets.

It's really funny how similar Gainesville and Tallahassee are since Gainesvile is turbo segregated as well, though idk about crime stats there, but since there's not the state capitol and its generally conservative presence to offset FSU's and FAMU's progressive presence, I'd assume it's better.

I'd have to look in on G'ville's situation since that might very well be a similar case where it's the University (so basically the board and the ultra high level admin staff) making a quick buck off of trying to "modernize" the area or what have you.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Addamere posted:

how do you bankrupt the state by raising taxes :psyduck:

pretty simple

- if taxes go up, the Nice Corporate Men will get mad and leave the state and take their company with them
- there will be no more companies left and no one will replace them
- everyone will be poor and thus
- there are no more taxes to collect

Economics 101 :smug:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

It could end up like Nashville, and the previous more ghetto places like East Nashville turn out to be inundated by hipster poo poo.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nah posted:

pretty simple

- if taxes go up, the Nice Corporate Men will get mad and leave the state and take their company with them
- there will be no more companies left and no one will replace them
- everyone will be poor and thus
- there are no more taxes to collect

Economics 101 :smug:

those corporate men do not sound very nice, get rid of them and install new ones

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Xelkelvos posted:

It's really funny how similar Gainesville and Tallahassee are since Gainesvile is turbo segregated as well, though idk about crime stats there, but since there's not the state capitol and its generally conservative presence to offset FSU's and FAMU's progressive presence, I'd assume it's better.

I'd have to look in on G'ville's situation since that might very well be a similar case where it's the University (so basically the board and the ultra high level admin staff) making a quick buck off of trying to "modernize" the area or what have you.

I'd argue the state capitol as a whole project a lib presence, current crop of top grifters and their parasites notwithstanding. The bulk of the workers/voters in the whole apparatus are gonna lean towards poo poo that keeps their jobs intact, at the very least. Which isn't to say that basically being the southern edge of the "south" doesn't give both our towns a large contingent of Johnny Rebs, but it's less skewed than you'd think.

Shageletic posted:

It could end up like Nashville, and the previous more ghetto places like East Nashville turn out to be inundated by hipster poo poo.

That's all but the explicit longer-term goal. They're trying to kick off the gentrification of the south side by, I poo poo you not, moving the main city PD HQ to a half-used strip mall. Arguing that with that as a beachhead the foot traffic and whatnot will drive commerce and uplift the area. Reads to me more like some colonizers plopping a fort down in "unruly" land with the express intent of bringing settlers in after, but what do I know.

ThatBasqueGuy has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Aug 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Were better things possible

• Locked thread