Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Nice piece of fish posted:

Thank you! I had hoped it might inspire some other folks to try and realize their own project, no matter the size. It's very rewarding, but a lot of goddamned work. On the balance, I'd say it's worth it.

Having a cabin is pretty much at the top of my life goals, the details may not line up 100% to yours but I'm already all-in on the concept. I'm likely 15+ years away from realistically doing something about it, but I can dream in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

dreesemonkey posted:

Having a cabin is pretty much at the top of my life goals, the details may not line up 100% to yours but I'm already all-in on the concept. I'm likely 15+ years away from realistically doing something about it, but I can dream in the meantime.

Cool! If you don't mind, what kind of vision do you have for it? Do you have a rough idea of where, what kind, what you're mainly gonna use it for (hunting, fishing, dog sledding, wood shop, arboral plantation)?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
You should make a video with a Bon Iver soundtrack as you make stuff (play video games).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Cool! If you don't mind, what kind of vision do you have for it? Do you have a rough idea of where, what kind, what you're mainly gonna use it for (hunting, fishing, dog sledding, wood shop, arboral plantation)?

My vision would be probably cabin in name only, more of a secluded vacation home/family compoud where my family (immediate and extended) could spend time relaxing and being outdoors. Like the default place for people to enjoy the holidays. I enjoy outdoor stuff like ATVs, motorcycling, and your snowmobile made me add that to my mental checklist.

If I'm talking about the ideal place that I could remotely afford someday:
- On a fair amount of land, I wouldn't mind seeing neighbors, but I don't want to be packed in close.
- Relatively close to where we live so we could use it often. Should be doable, our area is pretty rural.
- Electricity and plumbing would be awesome
- On/near a body of water. A lake would probably be ideal, but it would be hard to get secluded AND a lake, let alone anywhere close to where we live. I'd settle for a river/creek or something assuming I didn't have to worry about flooding constantly.
- Big enough that it could sleep a decent amount of people with relative privacy. A few bedrooms, maybe a big bunk room for the kids.
- Plenty of room for being outside (flat yard area, etc).

In reality I could probably get most of those things without the seclusion / proximity to a body of water depending on what I'd be willing to give up.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jeebus that's a really nice cabin ya got yerself, you could be completely self sufficient without too much more work if you had some kind of greenhouse or something. Any good fish in that lake?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hasselblad posted:

You should make a video with a Bon Iver soundtrack as you make stuff (play video games).

I'll take it under consideration. Apparently that guy's gonna hold a concert over here in late October. I'm more of a classical rock kind of guy though.

Also I'm retired from videogames because they stopped making good ones.

dreesemonkey posted:

My vision would be probably cabin in name only, more of a secluded vacation home/family compoud where my family (immediate and extended) could spend time relaxing and being outdoors. Like the default place for people to enjoy the holidays. I enjoy outdoor stuff like ATVs, motorcycling, and your snowmobile made me add that to my mental checklist.

If I'm talking about the ideal place that I could remotely afford someday:
- On a fair amount of land, I wouldn't mind seeing neighbors, but I don't want to be packed in close.
- Relatively close to where we live so we could use it often. Should be doable, our area is pretty rural.
- Electricity and plumbing would be awesome
- On/near a body of water. A lake would probably be ideal, but it would be hard to get secluded AND a lake, let alone anywhere close to where we live. I'd settle for a river/creek or something assuming I didn't have to worry about flooding constantly.
- Big enough that it could sleep a decent amount of people with relative privacy. A few bedrooms, maybe a big bunk room for the kids.
- Plenty of room for being outside (flat yard area, etc).

In reality I could probably get most of those things without the seclusion / proximity to a body of water depending on what I'd be willing to give up.

Now that's a nice plan. Totally doable. If you're looking for something along the lines of a summer house (despite the name, they are usually used all year round) I can vouch for it being a good alternative. My folks have a place out on an island in the north sea, an old fishing village that's basically deserted. I've spent a lot of summers there fishing out where the open ocean meets the continental shelf, and the fishing is unbelievable. We also catch crab and lobster. It's basically what you're describing I think, only sea-adjacent and nautical and all. There's even a lighthouse!

(note, not my pictures)

The trick was that getting the place mostly required knowledge and research, the place itself wasn't expensive at all due to the place slowly getting deserted (fishermen don't live in villages way out in the ocean anymore). So if you do your research, I'll bet you'll be able to grab some land or maybe something old and renovation-y for an absolute steal. I wish you the best of luck regardless. Post about it when it happens.

Dreadwroth posted:

Jeebus that's a really nice cabin ya got yerself, you could be completely self sufficient without too much more work if you had some kind of greenhouse or something. Any good fish in that lake?

Thank you! Completely self sufficient would probably be a bit of a stretch. This is at a fair altitude and things grow very slowly up there due to the average temperature. Even as warm as it has been, anything but weeds grow at a glacial pace, and most of the trees you see around the cabin are decades if not hundreds of years old. Still, it's an interesting idea, I might try to do something small with a greenhouse just to try it out. If Sepp Holzer can manage it, surely I'll be able to as well?

The fishing in the lake is pretty good, actually. It's mostly brown trout, but some nice big ones since there aren't too many predators. It's not actively managed, but it seems to do quite well.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 27, 2018

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
This thread makes me teary-eyed in the best way.

Thank you! Completely self sufficient would probably be a bit of a stretch. This is at a fair altitude and things grow very slowly up there due to the average temperature. Even as warm as it has been, anything but weeds grow at a glacial pace, and most of the trees you see around the cabin are decades if not hundreds of years old.

What's the plan for heating, long-term? Are there enough trees about that you can rotate growing/chopping, or are you going to have to start hauling firewood in?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

TheNothingNew posted:

This thread makes me teary-eyed in the best way.

What's the plan for heating, long-term? Are there enough trees about that you can rotate growing/chopping, or are you going to have to start hauling firewood in?

I'm happy you enjoyed it.

That's a good question, actually. Since the main method (at least until I get some renewable energy going up there) of heating will be wood, I secured myself logging rights for about a hectare of land around the property. Just about anything I see close to the cabin I can chop down and make firewood out of. Problem with this though is that I quite like the tree cover around it, since it provides shelter from strong winds and hides the cabin in the terrain. Trees also grow super slow at that altitude, we're talking the upper ranges of the tree line here, so logging will have to be sparse and careful.

Luckily, I have a deal with a couple of farmers for some great cheap firewood (honestly, it's really cheap in bulk) and having to drive wood up to the cabin during winter is a prerequisite for having a snowmobile permit! Snowmobiles are disallowed for personal transport, and I get only about 10 trips a year for transport of water and wood. Motor Vehicle Use In Nature Environmental Protection Act, and so forth. So, I use my needing wood as an excuse to drive me and people up there. I may fudge the numbers a bit on the whole number of trips thing, but it's all fine.

So, I'm pretty much done painting inside but unfortunately I have to redo all the trimmings, so I don't have pictures quite yet. As soon as I can manage, though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

So, I'm pretty much done painting inside but unfortunately I have to redo all the trimmings, so I don't have pictures quite yet. As soon as I can manage, though.

Actually, why wait. We're almost caught up after all. Might as well make a mini update so far kind of deal.

So, we're currently in autumn of 2018, about two months in since last time.

Haven't gotten much visible work in, and I've spent a good bit of time on vacation and the rest at work picking up the huge amount of slack after I stupidly went on vacation. They never tell you when justice is done served, you know?

We did take that time to start enjoying the fruits of nature some more, though.

We've been mushroom hunting and picking late season berries and whatnot.

Dinner was a bit fowl though.

Inside we're pretty much done painting, like I said, but you're gonna have to wait a bit since right now it's not all that photogenic, since

Yeah, gonna have to redo the trimmings. Then pictures.

Otherwise, I readjusted one of the sliding doors that wasn't feeling well, reworked the flue and added a chimney hat to reduce precipitation making its way down the chimney as well as doing a checkup (it's all nice and dry up there) and refastening the insulated part of the chimney to eliminate potential slippage, carried in additional trimmings, done some afterwork on the porch, chopped some wood and started cleaning out all the tools and equipment up there. I also went full genocide on all the annoying loft flies up there and fumigated the entire structure when I left (loft flies are annoying, they live in the wilds off of flowers and try to stow away inside cabins to ride out winter - goddamned moochers).

It sure is a nice place in autumn though.

Wait what? No I said autumn.

No wait I said autumn god damnit

Nonono poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 1, 2018

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

No wait I said autumn god damnit

Nonono poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

:rip: Lawman.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Thank you for your efforts in building a home for wayward law goons.
I vote the chandelier comes back even though you can't light it. Classy.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Thank you for your efforts in building a home for wayward law goons.
I vote the chandelier comes back even though you can't light it. Classy.

Oh, not at all. Noblesse oblige and all that.

I'll consider it, but it's doubtful. I don't know how classy I am, it's not really a thing we do.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Just put candles in the chandelier. Super fancy.

Then dress up like characters in Interview with a Vampire.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EvilElmo posted:

Just put candles in the chandelier. Super fancy.

Then dress up like characters in Interview with a Vampire.

You're assuming I don't already walk around dressed like that.

I'm basically like a younger Tom Cruise if Tom Cruise was six foot, bearded and didn't look anything like himself.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Amazing cabin, great thread. I would love to own a couple hundred acres to hunt but I would settle for a camp on a lake somewhere. Something as remote and cozy as yours is a total pipe dream...enjoy it for all of us.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Amazing cabin, great thread. I would love to own a couple hundred acres to hunt but I would settle for a camp on a lake somewhere. Something as remote and cozy as yours is a total pipe dream...enjoy it for all of us.

Thank you very much! Not gonna argue, that would be pretty sweet. I'll settle for having all-season hunting access to most of the area around my cabin for now, but luckily there's loads of public land nearby if I get wanderlust. I hope it isn't a pipe dream at all and that you find a place exactly how you want it in the near future. And if not, well, if you find yourself around my parts, please don't hesitate to come visit.

So, where was I?

Right. We're still in the autumn of 2018 and you are all caught up, because we're at present day cabinposting.

It's a beautiful day in mid fall, and I've been hard at work making the cabin presentable for you guys. Even though there's some random smatterings of woodwork and touchups I need to do, the main work is done and I'm declaring the cabin personal-goals wise finished. Everything remaining is stuff that can wait. Getting some more furnishing and stuff would be good. Shelves and such. But nothing needs doing before winter. So, come on in and see the done thing.

And what a lovely day it is. Done with trimmings and did some tidying.

This is the entryway, eventually it'll become clothing and footwear storage as well as a detailed area map viewing location, CB Radio shack and general utility room (where I'll keep the batteries for the solar power and wind and the control unit and such).

En suite kitchen is a bit sparse for now, but I'll get around to putting up some shelving and such eventually. Needs to be tasteful and in keeping with the style of the cabin. Also, it needs more light so I better get on that eventually.

This is the living room. As you can see, the roof is done painted in white to bring in some light and an airy feeling. It brightens up the cabin like you wouldn't believe, and that is very very nice during the winter months, I assure you. The staining on the walls isn't noticable immediately, it's a fairly subtle shade of oak that doesn't darken the room at all but brings out a lot of life and play from the woodwork. The colour and shades change with the changing light, so it's constantly refreshing to look at. The overall impression is one of light and warmth.

The view is also undiminished. I love autumn.

The first bedroom is in the same colour as the living area, and you can kind of see how much the light affects the perception of colour. It gives a close, cozy feel and almost radiates a palpable warmth without darkening the room overmuch, even in the smaller enclosed space.

The other bedroom is in a different colour, one that I originally thought to use throughout the cabin but ultimately decided against because it was slightly too dark. It contains more shades of brown and gray, and is reminiscent of a wooded rock face. It's so multi-faceted, it goes through incredible changes with the light from a dark gray stony cave in the twilight to a warmer silvery brown in the sunlight. I love the colour and shift of it, but it's just too dark for the main living area.

Yeah, so that's it. Cabin is done as far as I'm concerned, and now I have a bunch remaining smaller things to do which I'll post about eventually. I need to build myself a longtable, have a traditional christening party, sow some grass, put more sod on the roof, do some minor outdoors stuff, fix up my snowmobile sled, build a bannister, build some stairs, build some seating, make a fire pit, fix a flushing toilet and a water system with filters for drinking water, get another small utility building up there and build a smithy and a workshop, build some vegetable growing spots and a smoker for meat. Yeah, that'll about do it. Thanks for following along so far, and I'll update next time I do something interesting.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

A+++ would definitely hunt out of and drink with friends inside.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

A+++ would definitely hunt out of and drink with friends inside.

Thanks! Ever hunted on skis? Just saying, practice a bit and come on up in winter, we'll go for winter rock grouse.

We might need a dog though, they are kinda hard to spot.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Thanks! Ever hunted on skis? Just saying, practice a bit and come on up in winter, we'll go for winter rock grouse.

Surely it can't be any harder than playing DayZ

Love the cabin by the way!

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 10, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ahdinko posted:

Surely it can't be any harder than playing DayZ

Love the cabin by the way!

Well, grouse don't generally shoot back but then again neither do most pubbies so maybe equal? Certainly colder.

Thank you very much! It's my refuge from the folly of Rocket et al.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Hello again, friends! Thought I'd post a quick experience from lovely late autumn in the mountains.

It's been a while since last time and I've been pretty much stressed out of my head with work and more work. I finally managed to get some cabin time, and it was a pretty lovely weekend to do so. Wanted to get out a little and maybe find a nice bird to pick out of the sky.

Had no such luck, unfortunately, but I did se some løvely lakes. Lake is starting to get frozen over and it's pretty chilly overall. I did see one forest fowl, but wouldn't you know it it took off just as soon as I got around that tree you see in the first picture. Yeah, it was sitting less than 50 meters from the cabin. That's the only thing I saw all day. But I did have a lovely walk, and it was absolutely worth it.

I did a bare minimum of needful work, including chopping up wood for winter, winterizing the cabin and putting up some Tiny Shelves. They are just :3: adorable.

In the evening I relaxed with a traditional dry stout, lefse and whisky while listening to slow radio, jazz and such.

Then I moved on to the good better stuff.

And wouldn't you know it, a little tickle in the back of my head told me to head outside for a breath of fresh air. Kind of hard to capture this stuff on a cell phone cam, but I tried my level best:

The sky was starry and clear, like only absolute darkness can make it.

And with the wintery darkness and starry skies arrives...

Yes, that's right. I spent my weekend sitting outside in the crisp, wintery air sipping a really rather good Glenlivet Nadurra watching the northern lights flicker across the sky. Not a bad way to spend an evening, take my word for it.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you had a good weekend as well and I'll post more next time something interesting happens.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Big, dark, starry sky is one of the most moving things a person can see in my opinion. So many of us live in light-polluted places and never see the Milky Way, but when you actually see it, it’s something you’ll never forget.

Great pics. What kind of gun(s) is/are that?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I agree, and I can vouch for it being even better in person. I'm definitely getting a telescope to bring, particularly for those midwinter nights when the skies are completely clear and the air takes on that crinkly quality. There no light pollution what so ever up at the cabin, so it really gets just ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks, I ought to get a proper camera because a cell phone really does not do anything good justice. The gat is a finnish (Valmet) over/under combi shotgun/rifle for varmint and medium game. This time of year grouse and wood hens capercaillie and such are changing to winter coat, so they are really skittish. Can't get close enough with a regular shotgun, so you have to go spot them landing or spot them in the distance to get a shot in. It actually works best on bare mountain tops, where you get a great view of them landing and you can see them actually run along the ridges. It's not ideal, but then it doesn't have to be to get a nice hike out of it.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 11, 2018

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Those pictures of the sky are amazing. You're living the dream, buddy.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ghostnuke posted:

Those pictures of the sky are amazing. You're living the dream, buddy.

Very kind of you to say so. It's definitely a major perk of living this far north, although it doesn't happen all that often. The northern lights sure are pretty, though.

I should probably make myself some sort of DIY seating arrangement on the porch for sky watching, sitting on furs and by a fire or something. Another thing to the list, I guess.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Hi again! Time for another quick update on the life and times of the Mountain Cabin as it were.

Been a while since the last update, there hasn't really been permissible weather in terms of mountain travel so far this year, and the earliest I was able to make it up there was christmas day. It was a fairly miserable experience and I had to turn around quite quickly because the weather took a turn.

However, a nice arctic breeze came around and provided some appreciable amounts of snow. Quite a lot, actually. So I took a trip.

It's still an absolutely beautiful place in the wintertime, but there was some work to be done. Firstly, I had to shovel an ungodly amount of snow just to get down to where my wood stack was. Yes down. And then I had to dig down to the porch. After moving tons and tons of snow, I discovered a couple of things on my inspection. One: The key was missing (as per tradition, cabin keys are left in easily accessible places so people in need can let themselves in, we also stock wood just in case and keep food, saves lives and such) so I had to break into my own cabin. It had probably been blown off its perch and landed in the snow somewhere, won't be found until summer, probably. Second, the chimney cover had been blown off by one of the many storms and the chimney and flue was absolutely stuffed with snow. I discovered this when I lit the stove.

Nice and snowy. After fixing the issue and bolting the cover over the chimney so it won't fly off again, I went to work on the snow pile on the porch. One man's obstacle is a norwegian's treasure; too much snow? Make furniture out of it!

Yeah, got me an outside fireplace to make the snow feel cozy. Isn't it still cold though, you might ask? It is. But that's just cozy too. And with such nice weather, what are norwegians to do other than the obvious. Barbecue!

Nothing like barbecue in way below freezing temps bathed in the eerie glow of moonlight. Absolutely wonderful, and I got to have the first outside beer of the year (utepils, big deal in Norway)!

"Babbel Magazine: Untranslatable Words From Around The World posted:

utepils (Norwegian)
noun: a beer you drink outside

Norwegians must endure a long, dark winter before they can enjoy the brilliant, but brief, summer. So a beer that you can drink outside, while absorbing the sun’s glorious rays, is not just any old beer.

It was nice and frosty.

Overall, a fantastic trip, nice and crispy cold and blazing hot inside.

Got to see the snow drifting through the sunlight, the crinkly stillness of absolutely dormant nature, the crunch of boots on icy snow, and I did some actual work as well but mostly just maintenance stuff. Not a lot else you can do in winter.

Oh yeah, that reminds me. For following along so far and for being such good sports, I'm gonna show you my secred hideyhole:

In addition to this and finishing the deck, I rigged up the propane gas system on the outside, finished the vents for the fridge (which works great now), and finished up my vanity project: A secret whiskey cupboard built into the wall behind a panel that's actually hinged and opens. Obviously, this isn't pictured because that would give away my secret hiding place.

I figured why the heck not? It's dumb not to. Ignore the masking tape, I'm still not quite done with that trimming (and now it's too cold).

That's just a wall.

And...

Now it's everything good and right in the world.

Alright, that's about it for this time. Thanks for reading along and I'll see you when I see you.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Ok the chain, now an ice chain, had me wondering earlier but I don't think I asked about it. Hope it hasn't been covered, but what the hell is it for? It looks like a downspout now? :confused:

Beautiful pictures btw!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

schmug posted:

Ok the chain, now an ice chain, had me wondering earlier but I don't think I asked about it. Hope it hasn't been covered, but what the hell is it for? It looks like a downspout now? :confused:

Beautiful pictures btw!

It's probably to keep water draining into a receptacle, and not just spraying out of the spout.

Awesome pictures, Fish. Do you enjoy this place by yourself, in true hermit fashion? Or to you invite victims friends to stay with you?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

schmug posted:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It's probably to keep water draining into a receptacle, and not just spraying out of the spout.

Exactly correct. It's a better and cheaper alternative to a pipe, which can very easily burst due to the ice. There's no sewer system around to take the water away, and my own drainage kinda stops working when the ground freezes since it's just soil drainage pipes directly on bedrock with a thin soil layer on top.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Awesome pictures, Fish. Do you enjoy this place by yourself, in true hermit fashion? Or to you invite victims friends to stay with you?

Thank you! I do occasionally go up there just to sit and be alone with nature and/or hunt, but the point of a cabin is to share it with friends and family. This weekend I was actually there with my fiancée, and next weekend I'm taking some friends up for whiskey and D&D. Cabin's suitable for both in my opinion. The victims we chucked into the lake, gotta keep our local water trolls fed.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Amazing. Living the good life for sure. I love that there is a word for the first outside beer of the year, so very cool.

Its probably been asked and I forgot but do you have any plans for any modest solar / battery storage for some LED lighting / your radio? Or does that go against the nature of this place for you?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

dreesemonkey posted:

Amazing. Living the good life for sure. I love that there is a word for the first outside beer of the year, so very cool.

Its probably been asked and I forgot but do you have any plans for any modest solar / battery storage for some LED lighting / your radio? Or does that go against the nature of this place for you?

I got some plans for some modest stuff, particularly in the outhouse some light and electrical systems for a decent toilet system would be very helpful. Other than that I want a CB radio just cause they are cool (a HAM radio would be complete overkill and weird apocalyptic hermit scenario fantasy stuff) and maybe some simple lights in the kitchen area. I'm not looking into that just yet, but I'm loosely planning on a solar panel, a solar air heater and a windmill to power a small battery array for intermittent use. Won't need much. E: So long as I'm self-sufficient it's all within the spirit of the cabin, I think.

Meanwhile I'm getting myself a better radio (one with a crank and solar panel and rechargable batteries and such) and a smaller mobile panel to charge it and phones and such. The current one is just too drat annoying and eats a set of batteries every weekend.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Another thought I had real quick, I'm not sure what's available in europe but have you considered a "jobsite" radio? It's a portable radio that runs off of hand tool batteries. Here in the states some of the big names are dewalt, milwaukee, hitachi, makita, etc. They all have their own tool/battery ecosystem. Might be a good way to kill two birds with one stone, you get a decent radio with a rechargeable battery and have some off the grid tools to go with it. You can get lanterns/lights, chainsaws, string trimmers, miter saws, table saws that run off of batteries these days. Pretty crazy!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

On the outside, a kind visitor stained the outside with anti-fungal hard use water resistant wood staining to make it all look a little more at home in the woods.

So pine tar?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

dreesemonkey posted:

Another thought I had real quick, I'm not sure what's available in europe but have you considered a "jobsite" radio? It's a portable radio that runs off of hand tool batteries. Here in the states some of the big names are dewalt, milwaukee, hitachi, makita, etc. They all have their own tool/battery ecosystem. Might be a good way to kill two birds with one stone, you get a decent radio with a rechargeable battery and have some off the grid tools to go with it. You can get lanterns/lights, chainsaws, string trimmers, miter saws, table saws that run off of batteries these days. Pretty crazy!

Not a bad idea, FIL has a makita one and it's pretty great. Solid option, esp. once I get a robust renewable power situation up there that could be all kinds of useful. I could pretty much use something like that for a light, chain saw and a bunch of other useful things. Meanwhile I do have a generator just in case.

Eh. Tjæralin.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s the weather like up there?

Cold, clearly. What about cloud cover?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Ah yes, this thread. This thread that I've been neglecting for no good reason. Hello, I am back.

So, since last time we've had easter and then some, mostly not doing too much work but taking some time to enjoy the very good weather and some well-deserved recreation. Not a lot in terms of building stuff, but we'll get to that soon enough once the snow clears up there and I can get around to working on things.

Platystemon posted:

What’s the weather like up there?

Cold, clearly. What about cloud cover?

I'm glad you asked.

It's often very nice.

And then it's not so nice. This was about an hour later:

But give it a while, and it's nice again.

It's mercurial, I guess you could say. The montain weather changes quickly, but it's not as bad as other places. We were blessed with amazing weather this easter, it was just plain incredible. Pictures to follow. It was nice enough that a random doggo ran up to say hello!

A very handsome lad. From the tag, turns out I knew the owner, so he got to hang out with us for a while until he got bored and then headed home. Not to worry, he's a norwegian moose hound which means he can trek far from home, no problem at all.

So, I've been wracking my brain on what I could show you guys I haven't already, and of course! The nearest mountaintop seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? Easter holiday in Norway is about cross country skiing, eating oranges and a superior form of KitKat and of course, climbing mountains. Ours is here:

Cross country trips in the mountains can be really nice.

And here's the view from the top from the days I bothered to go all the way up:

Yeah, that's just about the 360. Last one there is what they usually put on mountaintops I think.

Back down, it was time for beer and sausage grilling.

All things considered, a hell of a time.

Oh yeah, I have a cabin too, almost forgot. Just a warning, the next image is a huuuuge easter egg:

Told ya.

(easter tradition is filling those things with candy and gorging throughout easter)

Other than that I got a new radio, suitable for my needs, grabbed a corner cabinet that we've now de-varnished and are going to stain, and a glass kitchen cupboard from goodwill that, while nice, didn't fit inside and I have to toss it. Also I'm decorating with lanterns everywhere. Just, lanterns out the rear end.

Alright, that about does it for this time. Thanks for reading, and I'll be back once I have something to post about.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Super jealous. That’s an amazing place you have there.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Is that snow recent?

Also are those deer tracks? Can you still hunt?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Think hunting is not allowed during spring time because the animals have young then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

JRay88 posted:

Super jealous. That’s an amazing place you have there.

Thank you, I do appreciate the sentiment. I am very lucky in terms of the coincidences that had to line up for me to get a chance to do this all, though it was kind of hard to keep that in mind during the worst of the building process.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is that snow recent?

Also are those deer tracks? Can you still hunt?

As of easter. This year. So like, 21st of April?

Those are hare and fox, respectively. I think, at least. They look weird due to the gaits being different for different snow conditions. Fox one might be a small dog, fox is usually more regular but it might have been in a hurry? Also, not a lot of doggos on the mountain itself. It's a fun mystery.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Think hunting is not allowed during spring time because the animals have young then.

It's out of season, yeah. The only thing in season around april would be Lynx (special permit), raccoon, raccoon dog, muskrat and wild boar. None of which are up there. Well, the Lynx might be, but I would never hunt such a gorgeous animal anyway.