Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
First of all, it looks amazing and I'm very jealous!

You say "I'm not a builder. I'm an office worker of the worst sort. I had never before built a cabin, didn't know much about any of it and now I was responsible pretty much by myself for getting the thing built, and mostly by my own labour as well". Are you just being modest or is it actually rather simple to build a cabin? Not saying easy because it's obviously a poo poo ton of work. How do you get the required knowledge, just googling a lot? Or have you built a lot of things before?

Bear in mind that this question is coming from someone who has never done anything more complex than assembling IKEA furniture basically. I've never had to renovate anything because I've always rented my apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Claeaus posted:

First of all, it looks amazing and I'm very jealous!

You say "I'm not a builder. I'm an office worker of the worst sort. I had never before built a cabin, didn't know much about any of it and now I was responsible pretty much by myself for getting the thing built, and mostly by my own labour as well". Are you just being modest or is it actually rather simple to build a cabin? Not saying easy because it's obviously a poo poo ton of work. How do you get the required knowledge, just googling a lot? Or have you built a lot of things before?

Bear in mind that this question is coming from someone who has never done anything more complex than assembling IKEA furniture basically. I've never had to renovate anything because I've always rented my apartments.

Thank you very much, you're too kind!

That's a pretty difficult question, actually. For this build I basically tore down a cabin with minimal if any damage to the wood, beams and such and rebuilt it from scratch, which I guess makes it both a harder and easier build than normal? I certainly can't claim to be any sort of expert, but I have been working with wood since I was a teenager (har har) helping out various family with their own cabins and houses, doing renovations with my father and uncles and generally I've worked a lot more with my hands than I assume is average. It's just a family thing for us. So I've already made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot about general woodwork, which helped a lot. That said, I made mistakes during this build, learned one hell of a lot (particularly about chimneys and windows) and I worked probably at a third of the pace of what a professional probably could. So overall, probably a case of quantity over quality.

Overall, I think it's fair to say that I am far from any kind of builder, but maybe I'm not a complete amateur at it. This build in particular was not really complex, which is a big reason why I felt comfortable attempting it. It's nothing like building a house to code standards, for instance, and the design of this type of cabin being very much about rustic resilience and redundancy helps assure that you can't really gently caress it up too badly. I didn't need to google anything, though.

However, I did have help, like I said in the OP both my father and brother put in some time helping me, so I had someone to call up for advice and discuss solutions and ideas. That's really helpful when you're doing this stuff. I suggest trying it if you get the chance, you'll be amazed how quickly you learn and how much sense it all really makes when you put it together.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
It just feels like there are so many small details that you can't know unless someone tells you or you make a mistake and realize why you shouldn't do thing X the way you did it. Or you do X but you didn't do Y before which is super important, because you had no idea that Y even was a thing. But since you have years of woodwork behind you I guess those thing become second nature after a while.

It's no log cabin but I got inspired after reading your thread and had to build something, so I made a small box out of popsicle sticks:

So thanks for the inspiration!

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 20, 2019

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Claeaus posted:

It just feels like there are so many small details that you can't know unless someone tells you or you make a mistake and realize why you shouldn't do thing X the way you did it. Or you do X but you didn't do Y before which is super important, because you had no idea that Y even was a thing. But since you have years of woodwork behind you I guess those thing become second nature after a while.

It's no log cabin but I got inspired after reading your thread and had to build something, so I made a small box out of popsicle sticks:

So thanks for the inspiration!

I guess? I certainly don't know what things I don't know, but again the basic principles aren't that complicated so if you take your time and think things through before you do them, it usually ends up okay. That said, I did gently caress up a few things during this build that were rather important: The outside laths were insufficient to air the backside of the boards because I didn't know the proper way to double them up. This means there's a higher chance of accumulated moisture rot on the boards so I'll have to inspect them regularly too see if there's an issue with them. One of the floor joists in the hallway turned slightly wonky after I was finished with the floor, and you can really tell it's not completely level which pisses me off. I screwed up the chimney hat so there's been an unneccesary amount of moisture inside the flue for a year, which can lead to dangerous sooting and a chimney fire. I underestimated the amount of water that gets trapped by the deck, and now standing water collects on it near the lower end of the frame, which will eventually lead to wood rot, and I'm going to have to fix that somehow. Laid the floor wrong too, the joins were supposed to meet over the floor joists so now there's a couple of places that creak (though there's a fair chance I'll tear out and replace it within ten years anyway, because it didn't take the rebuild all that well).

So yeah, maybe it's not really that easy and I've certainly screwed up several things. However, that is how you learn, and there's really no other way to learn either when you're doing your own build like that. So, don't get discouraged by the seeming complexity of it all, it's not that complex and I'm sure you would do absolutely fine in my shoes.

Also, I'm glad my cabin could inspire some small greatness. That box is sweet. However, I have to raise a question of concern here; how many popsicles have you eaten oh my god?

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Yeah I guess I should just start to build poo poo and work my way up. An ex-colleague of mine had a saying I liked: "Just because you haven't done it before and don't know how to do it isn't a reason not to do it!". Just gotta make sure you don't groverhaus yourself.

The store had a discount on popsicles so I made sure to get my yearly consumption done in one go, saves time man!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Claeaus posted:

Yeah I guess I should just start to build poo poo and work my way up. An ex-colleague of mine had a saying I liked: "Just because you haven't done it before and don't know how to do it isn't a reason not to do it!". Just gotta make sure you don't groverhaus yourself.

The store had a discount on popsicles so I made sure to get my yearly consumption done in one go, saves time man!

Yeah, lucky there aren't stairs inside the cabin so I didn't have to insulate those.

My suggestion would be starting out with basic stuff, kitchen cupboards and trimmings. There's a lot to learn and not a lot to screw up (so long as you know how to actually fasten cupboards to a wall), and particularly with trimmings you learn precision, thinking with angles and the value of using specialized tools for the job. If you have a friend who's ever building a deck, ask to help out. That will teach you a lot about foundations, how joists work and how to think about creating a level surface that holds weight. And back pain and carrying a lot of crap around.

Or you could go full tilt on the woodworking and start making boxes and chests and shelves and such, it's a lot more difficult but you'll learn how to make stuff look good, you don't need to own property, you obviously handle small scale stuff well and I think DIY has a lot of great resources and threads to read about it. So that's my $0,02 on the issue.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Alright, time for a mini update. Took a quick trip now that the road's mostly open (god I love 4WD) just to see what's what and...

Yeah, snow's gone.

Well, I say gone.

It's still snowing. But that's alright, I have a warm fireplace and... yeah, booze.

A really great bourbon that I picked up on the advice of the whisky thread, drat good stuff. And beer. I like beer. I used to like beer and I still like beer. Beer.

And I got a beer stein at a flea market, never been to Hamburg but I do like hamburgers, so I got it. Kinda cheesy, but it's... actually great to drink beer from. Keeps the beer cool.

Other flea market bargains:

Traditional style painting of a sæter, which is appropriate because that's what the are around the cabin was used for.

Kinda iffy on it, what do you think?

A wooden box.

What's in the box? What's in the booooox? Nothing. Might keep firewood in it, we'll see. I'll maybe stain it a bit.

Cupboard. Looked like hell, so I refurbished it a bit, stained it and painted the back and it turned out great.

Yeah and also those things on the top, I also bought those. Handpainted. Very norwegian. It's traditional. I like'm.

And I made a tiny birb cabin.

Well, snow's gone so it's time to get to work. I've cleaned up around the center of the property, made a huge bonfire and got rid of all the crap that was lying around from the construction, so that's done.
I'll get started on some more stuff and I'll see you guys later.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Welcome back! It's been a busy time in the mountains, and like I said last post the snow is gone. We're a couple of weekends since last post and I've had a proper cabinwarming party and everything.

Deer are trespassing on my property.

Uhm.

Yeah no, it's really nice now. No snow.

Even at night there's nothing, not a twinkle nor a flurry. We're finally in the clear. Summer has arrived.

Yep.

Motherfucker.

I got poo poo to do goddamnit :bahgawd:

Well, one chick that wasn't gonna let herself be stopped by something as trivial as snow was this gal:

Ain't no snow stopping that little go-getter from getting busy getting buzzy :kimchi: She was merrily flying around in between snowflakes and sampling all the early goods.

Of course, I'm not gonna be dissed by some insect, so I got busy as well.

I got to work building some very needful waterboarding. I know, it's a direct translation so I promise you I'm not doing what you think I'm doing. I have no idea what you call this in english and google and wikipedia was no help. The closest I got was I guess a type of gable cornice? I don't think that makes sense. We call it a waterboard. It's a flat piece of highly resistant wood that goes horizontally over the windboards (the vertical ends on the roof) and are meant to protect from wind, water, general damage and to generally look useful.

As with any roof work they are annoying as hell and you're half way hanging off the roof constantly. But, I got it done.

I also made a shelf for my butt.

And a shelf for my stuff.

Oh, and what's this?

It's definitely not IKEA, but it does look like some assembly is required.

Tada! I made a table. It seats anywhere from 8-12 people, it's pretty sturdy since I overengineer things. It's also pretty darn comfortable to sit at.

It came in real handy for the party. It's also heavy as poo poo so I have to disassemble it to move it. Seriously, it's like 2,5 meters long, and those boards are thicc.

For the party I got some nice stuff, I'll show you some of it later but I had to show this:

Not the flower, but the pot. My grandma gave it to me, and it's actually a good hundred years old and was used as cookware for her and her parents and her grandparents family when they used the mountain area around the cabin as a sæter in early times. So, it's literally a piece of family history that's seen good use feeding them. I think that's just great.

The cabinwarming party was grand, a name was decided. It's named "Steve". Steve the Cabin. There was much drink to be had, which may have influenced things, but overall a great experience and the cabin keeps spreading love and happiness with its mere presence.

As always, thanks for reading and I'll be back once I have something interesting to show you.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Still looking good...does the cabin have a smokehouse yet?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Still looking good...does the cabin have a smokehouse yet?

It's already a smokehouse if you know what I mean :420: :birddrugs: :350: :2bong: :okpos: :birdthunk:

... I have literally never even seen a mariwana.

The answer is no, it does not yet have one. But, i have grabbed a promising old stove for smoking purposes, so all I really need is to get cracking on a shed. It's on the list for sure.

But not this weekend, I just got my new .308 so I'm at the range practicing for getting things to put in the smoker.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's been really interesting reading your story and your updates. That's an awesome cabin you've got going! Thanks for putting in the effort to tell the story.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Internet Explorer posted:

It's been really interesting reading your story and your updates. That's an awesome cabin you've got going! Thanks for putting in the effort to tell the story.

Thanks a lot! I'm glad it's entertaining and not dumb and boring. To most norwegians, while we love cabins, nothing is quite as boring as people talking about cabins or visiting them, because they are very commonplace. It's a whole huge deal with us. It's just a thing. Even so, this particular build is kind of old school and different compared to many of the newer types of cabins, that are more modern and box like and generally awful, so I thought it might be interesting - at least since the plot is pretty different and I honestly like to share the view (it's even better in real life).

I've even invited folks in certain threads that shall remain anonymous to come on up and visit if they get a chance, and I think that would just be fantastic if it ever came to pass. Most irl folks I know would find it uninteresting and boring, but some people from different countries and different backgrounds do seemingly find this kind of thing charming and peaceful and worth it, and I just absolutely love the opportunity to share this all with you guys. It's one of the best things about this subforum, and I've found a ton of threads here to lurk in to see things I'd never get a close look at anywhere else, different ways, different ideas and different cultural approaches. That is just the best.

Thanks for reading along, and I'll post more hopefully interesting stuff when I get a chance.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nice piece of fish posted:

Thanks a lot! I'm glad it's entertaining and not dumb and boring. To most norwegians, while we love cabins, nothing is quite as boring as people talking about cabins or visiting them, because they are very commonplace. It's a whole huge deal with us. It's just a thing. Even so, this particular build is kind of old school and different compared to many of the newer types of cabins, that are more modern and box like and generally awful, so I thought it might be interesting - at least since the plot is pretty different and I honestly like to share the view (it's even better in real life).

I've even invited folks in certain threads that shall remain anonymous to come on up and visit if they get a chance, and I think that would just be fantastic if it ever came to pass. Most irl folks I know would find it uninteresting and boring, but some people from different countries and different backgrounds do seemingly find this kind of thing charming and peaceful and worth it, and I just absolutely love the opportunity to share this all with you guys. It's one of the best things about this subforum, and I've found a ton of threads here to lurk in to see things I'd never get a close look at anywhere else, different ways, different ideas and different cultural approaches. That is just the best.

Thanks for reading along, and I'll post more hopefully interesting stuff when I get a chance.

If I ever happen to be in the area and this is a possibility I will be up in your PMs so fast

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

To most norwegians...

I actually thought you were Finnish for some reason. I'm not sure why, given that you clearly stated otherwise on the first page. In any case, thank you for sharing all of this, you've clearly put a ton of work into it and your cabin is really awesome.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If I ever happen to be in the area and this is a possibility I will be up in your PMs so fast

Hell yes, man! We'll get drunk, swap stories and go shoot at birds or fish a fish.

Azathoth256 posted:

I actually thought you were Finnish for some reason. I'm not sure why, given that you clearly stated otherwise on the first page. In any case, thank you for sharing all of this, you've clearly put a ton of work into it and your cabin is really awesome.

Perkele. The easiest way to tell the difference is that Finland is comparatively flatter and more coniferous. That said, there's fewer differences between us than you might think. Primary one is probably that we have way less saunas (they are kinda awkward and wayyy too sociable).

Thanks for reading along! I'm going to start thinking about getting the cabin into the 20th century soon with some :science: electricity :science: and vastly upgraded sanitation, it'll be sweet.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
If you're still getting snow I guess you're quite high up north? I get that you don't want to say where it is exactly but is it higher up than for example Luleå in Sweden?

Adding electricity sounds interesting, are you thinking solar panels, diesel generators or what's the plan there?

Also a friend mentioned that he was planning on building a deck so I offered to help, so thanks for that suggestion!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Claeaus posted:

If you're still getting snow I guess you're quite high up north? I get that you don't want to say where it is exactly but is it higher up than for example Luleå in Sweden?

Adding electricity sounds interesting, are you thinking solar panels, diesel generators or what's the plan there?

Also a friend mentioned that he was planning on building a deck so I offered to help, so thanks for that suggestion!

It's more a function of elevation than latitude, it's not even as far north as Luleå is. Norway is very mountainous and in terms of weather quite exposed to the north sea winds and man, it can get rough sometimes. If you've ever been to Iceland, it's like that, often nice but sometimes very unpredictable. This is a very important fact when travelling in the mountains.

The plan is solar panel, batteries and eventually a small windmill generator and with all that I'm pretty confident I'll have about as much power available as a small house uses. Might have enough for a waffle iron, which is great!

That's fantastic, go get that deck built. A solid foundation and properly level joists and you really can't go wrong. Let us know if you learn anything cool.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Dear livejournal

So hi again, thought I'd pop in for a quick wish-you-were-here from near the cabin, more specifically the lake. I've been wanting to show you more of it, since it's one of the main attractions of the immediate vicinity.

It's a fine norwegian summer in the mountains, rain, overcast and a solid 8 degrees. Thought I'd take a quick trip up to try out my fishing luck, since I've made some tall claims about the quality and quantity of fish in the lake and I really haven't had much of a chance to do any actual fishing. So I grabbed a canoe and took a quick trip.

It was actually quite nice to be honest, but the black flies at this time of year are atrocious. As for the fishing, well,

Pretty damned good all told. Probably didn't spend more than a couple of hours out there and they just wouldn't stop biting. Just a basic copper red dot spinner and they couldn't leave off. Meat was all nice and red, no signs of damage or sickness/parasites. Looks like they are really doing quite well in the lake. Apologies for the blood.

Hope you're having a nice summer, I'll post more stuff whenever.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

holy poo poo you have a lake full of trout too?! I super hate you now.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ghostnuke posted:

holy poo poo you have a lake full of trout too?! I super hate you now.

Well, a little less full now. It's not my lake though, it's just the closest one good for fishin'. It's about five minutes walking distance from the cabin, north end terminates in an old sæter, so there's a few cabins around there but it's pretty undisturbed as far as lakes go. Great for ice fishing. Blackflies make it unattractive for swimming in the summer though.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Blackflies make it unattractive for swimming in the summer though.

So you're saying it's better for swimming during the winter.? :confused:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ssthalar posted:

So you're saying it's better for swimming during the winter.? :confused:

Well yeah, obviously.

My neighbor can vouch for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxA9O2WW138

douche_waffen
Mar 18, 2009
Holy Santa clause poo poo!

Gramps I would pay you quite a large sum of money to rent this place from you air bnb style.

Amazing work!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

douche_waffen posted:

Holy Santa clause poo poo!

Gramps I would pay you quite a large sum of money to rent this place from you air bnb style.

Amazing work!

Ho ho ho?

Sure thing, although there will be strictly no canoeing unless you bring Umdrehung.

Thanks very much from the compliment from down under, don't suppose you have much of a cabin culture down there but at least you're enjoying some snowy weather perhaps, just like us?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I would legit try to go off the grid there. The trout are gonna be epic year-round in that cold. Plus whatever you can hunt. Get a PO box for brewing beer ingredients and you're set.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
Greetings from the rusty wastes of Cleveland, Ohio!

So, I made a mistake. I showed this thread to my wife.
She is now hell bent and obsessed with packing our poo poo, moving north, and making me undertake this kind of adventure.
I'm not saying I wouldn't love to, mind you.

I read through how you acquired the cabin itself, but as an estimate, how much do you think you have invested into your Nordic slice of paradise?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ghostnuke posted:

I would legit try to go off the grid there. The trout are gonna be epic year-round in that cold. Plus whatever you can hunt. Get a PO box for brewing beer ingredients and you're set.

I mean, you conceivably could and I know a few folks that live like that but I can't help but feel you'd be giving a lot up such as sanitation (I'll be showing some of that once I get done with that completely), internet (never not post) and an easy source of potable water. It's easy to romanticise cabin life but you would be giving up a looot of comforts living that life 24/7. I would hate to try and brew reliably up there with what's available.

MrDesaude posted:

Greetings from the rusty wastes of Cleveland, Ohio!

So, I made a mistake. I showed this thread to my wife.
She is now hell bent and obsessed with packing our poo poo, moving north, and making me undertake this kind of adventure.
I'm not saying I wouldn't love to, mind you.

I read through how you acquired the cabin itself, but as an estimate, how much do you think you have invested into your Nordic slice of paradise?

I apologize, you're in for a ton of work then.

My total investment if I was gonna give an estimate (screw my budget, that's fiction at this point) would be maybe 30 000 dollars for a cabin to tear down, 15-20 for transport, maybe 20 for extra materials, foundation, nails and screws, equipment, additional expenses, stove, kitchen etc. 4 grand for the contractor as well I suppose.

Also figure in the plot itself, which I basically got for free or drat near to it, and expenses for apllications and paperwork, plans and such, easements and other needful property stuff that I did myself since paperwork is basically what I do. There's a lot of stuff to think about outside just the build itself.

There's also the time spent, which is extremely easy to underestimate. Whatever help you can get from family and friends is worth so goddamned much. Don't underestimate the work. Do not.

While I can't be much help I expect, if your plans solidify feel free to post about it or even make a thread and I'll be there with whatever advice I can give.

E: just to mention, things are significantly more expensive over here so all of it would probably be a lot cheaper in the US. For comparison, a starter house over here anywhere close to a city would be 500 000 dollars minimum.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 14, 2019

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I mean, you conceivably could and I know a few folks that live like that but I can't help but feel you'd be giving a lot up such as sanitation (I'll be showing some of that once I get done with that completely), internet (never not post) and an easy source of potable water. It's easy to romanticise cabin life but you would be giving up a looot of comforts living that life 24/7. I would hate to try and brew reliably up there with what's available.

Yeah, I'm mostly full of poo poo. I couldn't live without electricity (internet). I guess "off the grid" is probably the wrong term. Hermit, that's what I would be lol

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ghostnuke posted:

Yeah, I'm mostly full of poo poo. I couldn't live without electricity (internet). I guess "off the grid" is probably the wrong term. Hermit, that's what I would be lol

Well, rural living makes a lot of sense and working toward "grid independent" is a pretty good alternative to off the grid. That said, it can totally be done, but it's always going to be a tradeoff. One thing that cabin living really teaches you is the amount of things we all take for granted in civilization. It's a useful lesson.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Summer living

Hello again, friends!

I'm back with a quick summer update, as personal changes in my work, life and worklife has robbed me of much cabin time this summer. Instead, I went out in the ocean and did some fishing at the previously mentioned summer house.

It was pretty good.

What's this? You know, roadkill in Norway is pretty different.

Weird country. (it's Stockfish)

Did a lot of fishing, a little bit of swimming and a lot of eating fresh food, the best that fjords and the north sea can provide.

But, I didn't forget my duties.

With what time I've had available so far, I decided to channel my inner Desperate Dan (of the rather amazing Five Acres thread that is just... the best, seriously if you haven't read it, read it) and finally got my gardening groove on. In more than one way.

First things first, I decided to hoe it up by hoeing down the entire plot of exposed dirt by the cabin and I've planted down a lawn. Between the blackflies, the horseflies, and botflies and the various other flying assholes as well as the super compacted soil it was a real hoedown chore. See that rock on the left? Size of my chest and a couple of feet down, took me at least fifteen minutes with an iron bar to get that thing moving.

But I got it done. It's gonna be really interesting to see if the grass takes and if it does well. To get a decent mat of roots I planted 3 different kinds of grass and a combination of barley and wheat, so here's hoping something survives. I'm definitely taking the "survival of the fittest" approach to gardening.

I also made this as a fun side project:

It's a thin layer of soil on top of bedrock, and the stuff I've planted there is like extremely hardy weeds (but photogenic weeds) that I really hope can take the heat and weird climate. For mulch I did basically newspapers and rotting wood chips and they seemed to protect the soil a bit better. You might notice the tiny insect hotel, it's probably completely redundant in the middle of a forest but hey, the birds got a cabin so the bugs should get one as well. I don't discriminate.

Besides, Emma the Spider (who's unwisely decided to nest in my windboards) needs food for the young'uns.

Overall, the cabin is just wayyy too warm and insect-y during July for my taste, but we did get to enjoy a little sun and some barbeque and... wait...

https://i.imgur.com/4VI7zvJ.gifv

I see you there, you little poo poo!

That motherfucker has plans for my flowers, I just know it. Just look at him!

I tried chasing him but that only seemed to make him hungrier.

https://i.imgur.com/Tzb3ylH.mp4

Anyway, blueberries are in full effect, not gonna be long now what with the recent warm weather until it's berry and mushroom season. I must find a way to grow wild mushrooms on site, but that's a different update.

I'm also starting on curtains, thanks be to my fiancee, painting all the windows (again, her) and I've received An Art as well as made Art. Unsure about the last one, though. Might actually be trash.

That's it for this time around, hopefully when I come back things will be greener, hares will be leaner and I'll be a lot cleaner.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

gently caress that rabbit! That little poo poo would be out of season here but unless your game wardens are psychic...blam

He looked fat enough to roast, and rabbit is always good in stew.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

gently caress that rabbit! That little poo poo would be out of season here but unless your game wardens are psychic...blam

He looked fat enough to roast, and rabbit is always good in stew.

Oh, he's a wascal alright. But in the interest of fairness and my own soft heart I'm gonna wait until he grows up (and it's season), he's just a baby still. It's pretty unusual to get a wild hare that interested in humans and that unafraid, I guess it might be the cabin that confuses some of the local wildlife, but even so. It might be it's an orphan or abandoned, but it seemed pretty fit and healthy and was chowing down on the edge of the plot all day, so I don't know. My money is still gonna be on he's gonna gently caress over my new lawn and plantings.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

wtf you have an ocean cabin too? where's my guillotine...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ghostnuke posted:

wtf you have an ocean cabin too? where's my guillotine...

Oh no, it's a family summer house. I don't own it, might inherit some of it (cause boomers and their ridiculous fortunes) but I really don't know if I'd want the hassle. I'm not really an ocean type person. I've been thinking of getting together with my brother and refurbishing a used sailboat for all-electric (you know, used electric car battery, solar and wind power) to enjoy the coast seeing as we have a lot of it, but I don't know if I'm motivated enough for that kind of amount of work. But it'd go real nicely together with the summer house that I'm gonna have to share with that idiot anyway.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Small thread hijack for a deck update: After a whole weekend's work in 30 degrees (celsius) and constant sun we got the deck built! Only railings and the "kjol" (don't know the english word, the planks that cover the sides) left. But we could put a dinner table on it and have burgers and beer on Sunday evening.

It was very satisfying to have a beer on a deck you've built yourself, so I can only imagine the satisfaction from hanging out in an self-built cabin.

Funny thing, I talked to a guy on Friday and he asked me about my weekend plans. I told him I was helping a friend build a deck and he said "Wow, that doesn't sound like fun!" and when I told him I had volunteered myself he just went "Oh...". Different ideas of "fun" I guess.

I also found a short tv series I can recommend called "Cowboykåken" about a guy with no building experience who built his own cabin in northern Sweden mostly by himself over the course of three years. It's on SVT Play though so don't know if you can view it outside of Sweden.. https://www.svtplay.se/cowboykaken

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Claeaus posted:

Small thread hijack for a deck update: After a whole weekend's work in 30 degrees (celsius) and constant sun we got the deck built! Only railings and the "kjol" (don't know the english word, the planks that cover the sides) left. But we could put a dinner table on it and have burgers and beer on Sunday evening.

It was very satisfying to have a beer on a deck you've built yourself, so I can only imagine the satisfaction from hanging out in an self-built cabin.

Funny thing, I talked to a guy on Friday and he asked me about my weekend plans. I told him I was helping a friend build a deck and he said "Wow, that doesn't sound like fun!" and when I told him I had volunteered myself he just went "Oh...". Different ideas of "fun" I guess.

I also found a short tv series I can recommend called "Cowboykåken" about a guy with no building experience who built his own cabin in northern Sweden mostly by himself over the course of three years. It's on SVT Play though so don't know if you can view it outside of Sweden.. https://www.svtplay.se/cowboykaken

Ajamennsann! That's absolutely great! Did you learn anything new?

It's fun building a deck in warm weather, huh? They say there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad kläder, but I'm not so sure. Hope you had beer.

Interesting, I'll have a look at that series when I can.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I learned that I can actually build things and now I want to build more things! I also made a super simple stand for my tablet so I can watch stuff while I'm cooking. I think I might have gotten a new hobby.

Yeah, we were pouring sweat but after a while you hit an equilibrium where you didn't get any warmer if you kept working at a constant speed so we just made sure to drink a lot of water and it was fine.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Hello! Well I really need to update the thread, but it's been so long between visits and I've been pretty busy! I've changed jobs, moved to a farm in a different county, learned to drive a combine harvester, started hunting moose and boy are my arms tired!

No but seriously, it's been a hell of a few months. But I did have time to get some basic stuff done, cabinwise:

The woods are getting super autumny with the sun getting lower and lower in the sky.

I've been digging holes for posts.

I need to get that outhouse situated on a solid ground base, because...

:siren: :science: ELECTRICITY :science: :siren:

Yes, sustainable electrics have made their way cheaply and effectively to the cabin. With the massive solar panel (seriously, it's huge) and some long charge low temp adapted batteries, this mfer is gonna gather all the electricity I'm going to need for the near future at least. I'm going to keep it in the outhouse where it's a lot safer in terms of fire safety than the main building, and run a ground cable into the cabin itself... when I get that far. I have really struggled to get any work time up at the cabin lately.

Mostly I've been busy doing this poo poo instead:

Life in the country... I find it pretty great. More hopeful than I've been in a long while out here, and I feel a lot better prepared for life in general.

Now, where was I? Yes, the cabin. The green stuff is coming along nicely, and the good stuff is accumulating as well.

Can't wait to see some flowers in spring, when...

wait.

where

the gently caress

ARE MY CLOVES?

YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Oh it's on now, you tiny son of a bitch.

See you later folks. I'll be back.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Looks like wabbit season has just opened up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’m so goddamn jealous