Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
drat those waffles look good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
How do you make your waffles? The bog standard recipe or with sourcream like cool grannies do?

Great fun tracking your progress building this little getaway :D really makes me wish that both sides of my family weren't idiots who sold the family cabins (Lindås, Nordhordland on mom's side and Billefjord, Finnmark on dad's side) out of the family in the 90s.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Gone Fashing posted:

drat those waffles look good

Government Handjob posted:

How do you make your waffles? The bog standard recipe or with sourcream like cool grannies do?

Gotta be honest here, no idea for those particular waffles since my fiancee made the batter, but they were gooooood. I love me some waffles and beer.

Great fun tracking your progress building this little getaway :D really makes me wish that both sides of my family weren't idiots who sold the family cabins (Lindås, Nordhordland on mom's side and Billefjord, Finnmark on dad's side) out of the family in the 90s.

Happy to hear you say so! Cabin ownership is extremely burgoise (there are 63% less Red voters with cabin ownership in the county than SP voters), so I guess that's a comfort? Anyway, I'm opposed to selling property unless you absolutely have to, so I'm sorry to hear all that. Still, a cabin at the extreme southwest and northeast of the country? Jesus, they literally couldn't be further apart if you tried!

We'll have a goonmeet at the cabin, we can get the whole scandi thread in there to rage against Frp, mainstream media and Oslo west people while we empty my whiskey collection.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Nice piece of fish posted:

We'll have a goonmeet at the cabin, we can get the whole scandi thread in there to rage against Frp, mainstream media and Oslo west people while we empty my whiskey collection.

This is extremely my jam.

Anyway the cabin at Lindås wasn't more than a 90 minute drive from Bergen, Nordhordland is just north of Åsane. The cabin in Billefjord on the other hand wasn't seeing much use, it was the childhood home of my grandfather and my dad and his sisters spent a few of their early years there before my grandparents moved back to Bergen.

There's a cool article from a local paper about my great uncle where he talks about what it was like how bad it sucked growing up poor in Finnmark back in the 30s but I can't seem to find it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

We're lucky, our snakes are harmless. Mostly. In fact, I'm hard pressed to think of an animal that poses a serious threat to people in Norway. Probably cows. Avalances kill orders of magnitudes more people than animals do, I don't think we even keep track of wild animal deaths.

Tell you what, I'll do what I can about those northern lights.

Incoming mini update, stay tuned.

People in North America always seem deadly afraid of moose, but as far as I know nobody cares much about them here. They can be dangerous but they don't seem to have the same deadly rep here.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

People in North America always seem deadly afraid of moose, but as far as I know nobody cares much about them here. They can be dangerous but they don't seem to have the same deadly rep here.

Growing up in Vermont it wasn't so much that a random moose would attack you, but more that their shape makes car accidents with them pretty awful. Every five years or so someone would get decapitated when those massive antlers went through a windshield.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
More moose talk.

In winter up in Northern Canada, after the snows begin the railroads of course plow their tracks. Over time this becomes somewhat of a trench that has tasty greens that aren't covered up.
Mr. Moose will be snacking away on these easy treats when he will notice in the distance a train is heading his way.
Sensing a threat, but instead of scooting outta there Bullwinkle has been known to drop the antlers, and charge head-on in to the fast approaching locomotive.

SPLAT!
A couple thousand lbs of moose meat spray over the countryside.

I think locomotives are the the only natural predator of the might moose.

Edit:
Years ago I was driving down some backroad in northern BC, moving along at about 40 kph when we noticed a moose running along beside us, through the bush and small (2 - 3 inches) trees like they weren't even there.
Amazing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nucken Futz posted:

Wolves like to attack moose by biting them on the taint, a known weak spot of many species :v:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nucken Futz posted:

More moose talk.

In winter up in Northern Canada, after the snows begin the railroads of course plow their tracks. Over time this becomes somewhat of a trench that has tasty greens that aren't covered up.
Mr. Moose will be snacking away on these easy treats when he will notice in the distance a train is heading his way.
Sensing a threat, but instead of scooting outta there Bullwinkle has been known to drop the antlers, and charge head-on in to the fast approaching locomotive.

SPLAT!
A couple thousand lbs of moose meat spray over the countryside.

Edit:
Years ago I was driving down some backroad in northern BC, moving along at about 40 kph when we noticed a moose running along beside us, through the bush and small (2 - 3 inches) trees like they weren't even there.
Amazing.

Oh absolutely. Just asked a buddy of mine who works rail about it, he estimates they splatter at least 1000 meese a year. That's a lot of hamburger. Reindeer too, they like to cross railway bridges, and since we don't have flat ground we have a lot of those. Entire herds are lost this way.

Luckily, the vast majority of the country is still pretty untouched, so it's not like the population can't recover. Still sucks.

Moose aren't a huge security risk for people normally, as they are still pretty shy. The ones that aren't shy of people get first priority with the hunters. And I gotta say, if a moose starts hanging around the area and looks at me or any of the neighbourhood kids funny, I will have to put it down. The things are huge and you can't have them get used to people.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
The most exciting thing that happened during my military service in Trøndelag was when me and one of my officers were walking back from a storage area to our office building off base.
We get to the parking lot and I just hear him go "å dæven" in that way only people from the deep Trøndelag can go and he nodded in the direction of the fence about 15 meters from the entrance to the building.

A moose and her calf were standing between some trees just staring at us, and Captain Trønder calmly told me "Alright, GovHandjob, lets just slowly make our way to the door. No sudden movements."
We got inside without incident but the moose stuck around outside for another hour before finding its way back off the property, in the meantime Captain Trønder told me about the time he had been stuck in a tree for five hours after being chased by an aggressive moose during mating season.

I don't gently caress with moose.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Moose aren't a huge security risk for people normally, as they are still pretty shy. The ones that aren't shy of people get first priority with the hunters. And I gotta say, if a moose starts hanging around the area and looks at me or any of the neighbourhood kids funny, I will have to put it down. The things are huge and you can't have them get used to people.

There are a few people who have had a pet moose. There's a guy near here with one.

Ah, but in swedish only;
https://www.vasek.fi/vasaregionens-utveckling-ab-vasek/kommunikation/nyheter/motet-med-mervi-glommer-man-aldrig

This guy does do it for a job though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iay7Z1Rxvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuY3VMTKJW8

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 19, 2020

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

I don't gently caress with moose.

Government Handjob:

Moose: What the gently caress did you just say to me you little bitch come out here and fight me

Trøndelag

"å dæven"

Checks out.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Please explain, google translate is lacking cultural elaboration

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

There are a few people who have had a pet moose. There's a guy near here with one.

Ah, but in swedish only;
https://www.vasek.fi/vasaregionens-utveckling-ab-vasek/kommunikation/nyheter/motet-med-mervi-glommer-man-aldrig

Also Swedish only, but a good read about tame moose (meese?) in the 18th century.
http://runeberg.org/faunaflora/1908/0301.html

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Sorry to derail moose chat, but those waffles look loving delicious. What is brown cheese?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

JRay88 posted:

Sorry to derail moose chat, but those waffles look loving delicious. What is brown cheese?

I've since confirmed they were indeed made with sour cream.

Brown cheese is a very important norwegian foodstuff, like kimchi for koreans, tea for the british and lard for the danish.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunost

It's caramelized whey, basically. It's great on toast, waffles, in soups and stews. You have to eat it as part of the citizenship test.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It's a local colloquialism. It's a norwegian in-joke, basically, you can tell by how it's not funny

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Some of the dialects in Trøndelag are pretty drat distinctive. Just substitute it for an "oh darn" in a comically thick southern drawl.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Some of the dialects in Trøndelag are pretty drat distinctive. Just substitute it for an "oh darn" in a comically thick southern drawl.

Well, you mean "oh the devil" as "dæven" literally means the devil/Gammel-Erik/styggen/tykje/fanden/faen/søren/Tybring-Gjedde etc.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Yeah you're right about that, I went for a translation that was a better analogy in terms of coarseness :)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Just a quick update: There probably won't be an update for a little while, as it's looking like the government is banning going to a cabin over the Corona-virus pandemic. Might post something else, but I'm staying home for the near future at least. Hunkering down and working from home as ordered.

Good luck out there.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 15, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tycho Brahe famously had one.

It got drunk at a party and fell down the stairs.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Just a quick update: There probably won't be an update for a little while, as it's looking like the government is banning going to a cabin over the Corona-virus pandemic. Might post something else, but I'm staying home for the near future at least. Hunkering down and working from home as ordered.

Good luck out there.

I feel like during a pandemic outbreak, hiding out away from everyone in an isolated cabin sounds like the best thing you could do.

Like if you are clean, there's no one to catch anything from, and if you are sick, there's no one to spread it to.

Maybe the thought process is just any travel in general?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Twenty Four posted:

I feel like during a pandemic outbreak, hiding out away from everyone in an isolated cabin sounds like the best thing you could do.

Like if you are clean, there's no one to catch anything from, and if you are sick, there's no one to spread it to.

Maybe the thought process is just any travel in general?

Nah, it's basically:

- Don't be in any of the municipalities that have loads of cabins because you're doubling their natural population and local health services can't cope.
- Travel spreads disease.
- Emergency services can't come get you on the top of a loving mountain and you can't get to a hospital yourself, you might even get stuck on a mountain. There are people right now that are asking the Red Cross to come get them because they went to a cabin and got sick, cause it takes a little while. It's not acceptable. This isn't a holiday. It isn't an excuse to go skiing. It's a loving pandemic.

The cabin ban hasn't been enacted yet, so far it's basically a threat to get people to go home and stay there. But it might just get enacted tonight, because loving Oslo people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How is “cabin” defined for the purposes of the ban?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I think the technical definition is “place where you gon find out what love is whether you want to or not”

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

How is “cabin” defined for the purposes of the ban?

Pretty much non-primary residence located in another municipality than your primary residence.

so if your cabin or vacation home is in the same municipality as you live in, you are fine..ish.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Klogdor posted:

Pretty much non-primary residence located in another municipality than your primary residence.

so if your cabin or vacation home is in the same municipality as you live in, you are fine..ish.

So far. My cabin is not in the same municipality, so... there goes Easter? :smith: Can't be helped I suppose, we're all in this mess together.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I miss this thread and don't want it to fall into the archives, so I'm going to exercise allemannsinnleggrett and post about enjoying and doing something with some not nearly as nice but much easier to get to land.

There's a nice view to be found, it's just got some stuff in front of it.

Bippity-Boppity-Boo!

This steeper part was a bit of a pain.

There's a nice view of to the right here,

And some flowers

But not really a vista

Onward and upward!

Yes, the path ended, but there was a view that needed clearing.

No cabin, but tents are allowed under allemannsrett.

Aahhh.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

I miss this thread and don't want it to fall into the archives, so I'm going to exercise allemannsinnleggrett and post

Beautiful post, very nice indeed. Thank you very much.

I'll try and get a post going after work, I'm sure I can find something to post about.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Beautiful post, very nice indeed. Thank you very much.

I'll try and get a post going after work, I'm sure I can find something to post about.

Hey fish post something about the cabin!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hey fish post something about the cabin!

Ok.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well, hi! Welcome back, and I hope you've been well.

I'm very sorry to have neglected this thread but between all the crazy nonsense over the past year, I have barely had the time to even think. But I wanted to let you know I'm here, cabin's still here, and a lot of things have changed since we last spoke.

And I do mean a lot.

But first thing's first, sit down, grab a drink and some barbeque and I'll tell you all about it!

So, the cabin has genuinely been okay, but I haven't had very much time at all up there this year for the very obvious reason of the gosh darned virus leading to regular shutdowns and whatnot. There was in fact a cabin ban, I did in fact not get to celebrate easter at the cabin this year, which was bad - but then I'm also alive so I don't have too much to complain about, do I. The things we did get done have mostly been little stuff, incremental stuff, and of course in the time of quarantine we've had a few things happen at home as they do when you're cooped up. New hobbies and interests of course, so in the interest of keeping it interesting I'm posting a little about that too.

Cabin first though.

My survival of the fittest approach to gardening at altitude has yielded... varying results.

A couple of tough bastards made it through winter! I'm happy they were selected for. My lawn, however... Eh well. Sometimes you just got to have some perspective on things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbdabAQJv1Q https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TIczscql0g

Pretty dry summer, all things considered.

I was planning on finishing the outhouse. I did fix the electrics, so the WC facilities stopped crapping out on me, but upon digging down to make concrete posts I discovered that the last half meter to bedrock was shale dirt, an extremely dense and packed crumbling layer of rock that you cannot dig through and cannot drill foundations into. So I need to belt in a digger to loosen it up enough to reach bedrock, and this proved impossible this year.

So what did I do?

Made my bed and had to lie in it.

Pretty comfy actually, now the cabin comfortably sleeps six.

New curtains came up as well as a new lamp. I love lamp.

View's still pretty great.

I picked a lot... and I mean A LOT of berries. Wild raspberries, wild blueberries, the infamous cloudberries of the north. And enjoyed nature!

And, I did actually do a little more planting. I planted these... on the roof!

Well, what are those you might ask?

They are Nagoonberries, also known as arctic raspberries. Goonberries, for short. And so what, what are those good for? Well, they make these:

Which I used to make these:

Gorgeous, sweet, tart, complex and wonderful goonberry and wild raspberry honey mead. Trust me on this: It came out very well indeed, and I've already sent two samples to fellow goons. It was well received.

Yes, I started brewing during the corona, and so far things are progressing nicely. I've made a great deal of homebrew beers and ales, mostly successfully as well as a number of different meads, including a cloudberry mead.

So, how are things at the farm, now that we're settling in and all? Weird. Wonderful. Weathers been a bit off, but other than that.

Pretty busy

PHEW! Well, then I guess you're all caught up. Thanks a lot for reading, I hope you are well and that you're keeping safe. I'm sorry for being such a MIA poster, but frankly, things have gotten out of hand around here.

Hopefully, next year will be a lot more quiet and I can do more cabin work and posting...

Yeah, real quiet. See you around!

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 9, 2020

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
drat what an update. Congrats on your news! :)

Despite being on a completely different continent your drone footage of the valley reminded me of a similar view we have somewhat locally here (though our mountains are not as impressive)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Thanks! That looks like a very pleasant area.

Yeah, the valley thing is pretty typical of central Norway, it's highlands, deep valley, mountain, more highlands, and it goes on and on like that. It's a visitor's footage though, so I'll try and get my hands on their super HD footage because what they sent me kind of sucked. Well, I make do with what I have.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

This is great, thanks for the update!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’m loving coming to the camp Fish.

How do you get up there when it’s not snowy, four wheelers?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
:dance: yay, cabin update! :dance:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’m loving coming to the camp Fish.

How do you get up there when it’s not snowy, four wheelers?

Happy y'all didn't give up on me during the corona posting drought!

Actually, there's an access road to an area close by the cabin in the opposite direction from the valley drone footage, that is driveable by regular old car. I usually drive up that and park there, then I hike in. It's not far. Wouldn't wanna do it during bad weather, but in winter I usually drive the snowmobile up from the valley along the drone route.

Yeah, you should come on up, get out of your mansion and live rough for a bit. I suggest winter, get some skiing time in, little bit of ice fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I had cloudberry jam recently and it was a letdown.

I hold hope that the fresh article lives up to legend.