Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That's a really nice write-up and while I'm not surprised that the Citroen surprises (heh), it was pretty interesting to see how "bad" the others were. The 318i I kinda knew would disappoint as I've asked about it on this forum before, but the 75 and Sierra was a bit surprising (especially the 75). I guess that the 75 should be had with a turbo or V6.

Man if I weren't dead set on having an RWD classic car, I'd love me a Citroen. Cool rear end cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"six-appeal" is :discourse:

"Sex" and "6" are pronounced identically in German (and in Danish, and possibly more) which, obviously, is a goldmine for puns.

Edit: Pursesnatcher, if you post the original German text, I can try to fish out some of the finer details, if I'm able.

bolind fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 27, 2020

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Great group test there. Reminds me of this Dutch review of the roadholding, stability and ride quality of a bunch of 1980s executive saloons. including the CX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cRhfPOBhpc

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

So it's been a minute, Covid has really made my life difficult, but car stuff has been progressing albeit more slowly than normal. The 16v engine is back together and in the car:

A new set of wheels and tyres should be arriving for it soon, as well as some paint to respray the worst parts of the body.

This little bugger governs LHM flow to the power steering on the XM and broke, I fixed it and it has since broken again, I'm planning on having another look at it and, failing that, replacing the unit.

The Fulvia has been painted and is currently awaiting me refinishing the front subframe and engine, which again has been slow due to Covid delaying delivery of parts.

I've also taken brief custody of some fun cars belonging to friends and acquaintances that needed stuff doing.

Got a friend's old Barchetta ready to be their wedding car. Great little sports car, incredibly responsive and a real looker to boot! Had it for about a month, fixed up the engine, suspension and brakes, gave it a polish and refurbished the wheels. Been looking at buying a convertible ever since :v:

Helped arrange for a Norwegian friend's Alpina B10 V8 to get bodywork, wheels and paint, Covid slowed this down a lot but the end result was simply spectacular. Got to drive it around a bit and it's a real nice piece of kit too..

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Oh crikey. Your big Cits are bloody lovely.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

meltie posted:

Oh crikey. Your big Cits are bloody lovely.

The CX is my dad's, he's brought it over to have some work done. He says thanks, as do I! That's the first picture I have that does justice to quite how long it is...

Wheels for the 16v arrived today!

Just waiting for the hub centering rings to arrive..

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
sexy

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Grakkus posted:

The CX is my dad's, he's brought it over to have some work done. He says thanks, as do I! That's the first picture I have that does justice to quite how long it is...

Wheels for the 16v arrived today!

Just waiting for the hub centering rings to arrive..

Ohhhhhhhh gently caress yea. Those are amazing.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I've been on a bit of a painting kick lately, and decided to do some parts on the 16v that are particularly letting the car down at the moment. Started with the sun faded window frames:

It's by no means perfect but from more than a foot away it's good. Going to pick up some more tape and do the other side next, and then tackle the rear bumper where the clear is all peeling away. I want to get the whole car professionally repainted to a high standard, but that will have to wait for a year or two. In the meantime I actually quite like that it's a bit battered, means I don't have to worry too much about dickheads damaging it in car parks.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ronal turbos are a great choice, fully period and style correct. And that B10 is a beauty!

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Other side done!

I've noticed the pressure regulator will sometimes remain open when the car is at idle and only tick once it gets any amount of revs, so I may be in the market for a new hydraulic pump in the near future. Luckily on 16vs the pump is in a pretty accessible spot at the top of the engine bay next to the battery. I also need to bleed the doseur valve (hydro equivalent of a brake master cylinder) in case an air pocket there is causing issues, as it does tend to happen after moderate to heavy braking. That, however, is buried under A/C lines, ABS lines, the hydro pump, and other crap, hooray..

Also rebuilt the XM's flow distributor again, and it doesn't leak from where it used to and I have power steering back, but now it's leaking from one of the hard line unions :sigh: Will do an effort post on that soon.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Grakkus posted:

Other side done!

I've noticed the pressure regulator will sometimes remain open when the car is at idle and only tick once it gets any amount of revs, so I may be in the market for a new hydraulic pump in the near future. Luckily on 16vs the pump is in a pretty accessible spot at the top of the engine bay next to the battery. I also need to bleed the doseur valve (hydro equivalent of a brake master cylinder) in case an air pocket there is causing issues, as it does tend to happen after moderate to heavy braking. That, however, is buried under A/C lines, ABS lines, the hydro pump, and other crap, hooray..

Also rebuilt the XM's flow distributor again, and it doesn't leak from where it used to and I have power steering back, but now it's leaking from one of the hard line unions :sigh: Will do an effort post on that soon.

It never rains but it pours LHM.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

meltie posted:

It never rains but it pours LHM.

Too right :sigh: I've been pretty lucky so far, owning 4 Cits and being able to fix hydro issues with essentially spit and duct tape. Guess my time has come.

One of the great things about BXs is how gloriously simple they are, but of course I had to go and buy by far the most complicated one....

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man those Citroens are super nice. Good work!

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Late to the thread here but enjoying it very much! I'm onto my second Peugeot fixer upper in 2 years, but my first was a 1998 V6 406 and I'd like to confirm it was a fantastic engine and made a very pleasant noise indeed when you put the hammer down.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Chrpno posted:

Late to the thread here but enjoying it very much! I'm onto my second Peugeot fixer upper in 2 years, but my first was a 1998 V6 406 and I'd like to confirm it was a fantastic engine and made a very pleasant noise indeed when you put the hammer down.

Ah, very cool! Yeah, the ES9 is a great engine. Got some pictures of the car? What was your first Pug fixer upper?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Grakkus posted:

Ah, very cool! Yeah, the ES9 is a great engine. Got some pictures of the car? What was your first Pug fixer upper?

A 1998 406, got it extra cheap and got 6000km out of it, smoothest car I've ever driven, cruised along so nicely without the modern feeling of a soundproof box. I should have done some more major repairs but I knew nothing and eventually passed it on to another amateur repairer. Onto a 206 1.6 convertible now, another backyard rescue that's now up to proper spec. Last owners had given up on it due to overheating, turned out to be a complete lack of fins on the water pump! New timing belt and pump and it's smooth as silk. No roof problems, thankfully.

Ahhh the 406, straight outta Taxi

That bloody airbag cover was a problem tho, bent up in the sun

This year's model, 206cc

The Aussie sun is not kind to French duco

La disparition of le pompe d'eau

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

I haven't had the time to do anything on my own eternal project lately, but I did come across this and thought I'd be an absolute monster and post it here.

You know you need it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pursesnatcher posted:

I haven't had the time to do anything on my own eternal project lately, but I did come across this and thought I'd be an absolute monster and post it here.

You know you need it.

Tissier made many dual axle conversions like that starting in the DS-era. The most visible of which were the helicopter carriers used in Algeria and the express newspaper delivery vans. I think they still make, or until fairly recently made, ambulances based on the Jumpy, etc. From what little I've read, those tow truck were used quite often in city centers on account of their low height and relatively narrow width.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Chrpno posted:

La disparition of le pompe d'eau

i like that for sure 100% of the material that came out of that water pump is kickin around inside the cooling system, god drat

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i like that for sure 100% of the material that came out of that water pump is kickin around inside the cooling system, god drat

The ol TU5 can take it, you need a bit of iron in your system.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It'll be picked up by the large coolant filter at the front of the car radiator. Which, once removed and drained, may serve double duty as a maraca.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

So next, I'm looking at:

- Pug 607
- Citroen C5
- 407 sedan
- 407 coupe

all with the lovely ES9 V6, similar age and mileage and price. Which one should be mine?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
A 406 coupe, because the 407 is ugly as gently caress. Although I don't recall last time I saw one with the V6, sadly.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Blacknose posted:

A 406 coupe, because the 407 is ugly as gently caress. Although I don't recall last time I saw one with the V6, sadly.

The 406 coupe is likely the prettiest, most underrated car evar. Too bad they're rare and, in many cases, riced to poo poo.

The 607 is its own kind of baller though. Trunk opening button is in the middle of the 0 in 607. :cool:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

406 Coupe is a lovely looking car but it had worse looking tails than the standard 406.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Chrpno posted:

So next, I'm looking at:

- Pug 607
- Citroen C5
- 407 sedan
- 407 coupe

all with the lovely ES9 V6, similar age and mileage and price. Which one should be mine?

#07's all look terribly unbalanced to me, very nose heavy. The C5 only looks okay in wagon form but then it's only redeeming feature is the incredible load space.

So I vote 407 wagon?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Get the C6. C5 is cool though and has air suspension.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Chrpno posted:

So next, I'm looking at:

- Pug 607
- Citroen C5
- 407 sedan
- 407 coupe

Unfortunately -07s are past the peak of Peugeot in terms of both looks and durability. The 607 is still a lovely (and very French) old barge to roll around in, especially in V6 form. As a Xantia owner I'm biased, but I'd go for a C5 with 205PS V6. They also have the Hydractive 3+ hydropneumatic suspension with its twin driving modes and automatic ride height selection. It doesn't feel like a 'proper' hydropneumatic Citroen (and lacks the power-hydraulic brakes and steering) but they do feel like a really, really good and well set-up coil-spring car.

madeintaipei posted:

Tissier made many dual axle conversions like that starting in the DS-era. The most visible of which were the helicopter carriers used in Algeria and the express newspaper delivery vans. I think they still make, or until fairly recently made, ambulances based on the Jumpy, etc. From what little I've read, those tow truck were used quite often in city centers on account of their low height and relatively narrow width.

Dual axle Citroen conversions? Bof! [Gallic shrug]

(Built out of bits of DS by Michelin for truck tyre testing, powered by TWO Chevy small-blocks.)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The 406 Coupe is definitely the best looking of the bunch. Interior-wise, the 407 and 2nd gen C5 is a step up from the 406/607/1st gen C5 imo. On the overall, I'd say a 2nd gen C5.

EDIT: Doh, I just noticed that your original list didn't even include the 406. :downs:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The 406 Coupe is definitely the best looking of the bunch. Interior-wise, the 407 and 2nd gen C5 is a step up from the 406/607/1st gen C5 imo. On the overall, I'd say a 2nd gen C5.

EDIT: Doh, I just noticed that your original list didn't even include the 406. :downs:

I had a 406, V6 sedan and it was so good, but I'm hoping to move into the 21st century a bit. Have never driven a Citroen (or even been in one) so I might go tyre kicking soon.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Get the C6. C5 is cool though and has air suspension.

Errr yeah there's 2 for sale nearby, around $30000 each so yeah nah

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Chrpno posted:

I had a 406, V6 sedan and it was so good, but I'm hoping to move into the 21st century a bit. Have never driven a Citroen (or even been in one) so I might go tyre kicking soon.

Errr yeah there's 2 for sale nearby, around $30000 each so yeah nah

That's hilarious. How on earth can a C6 be worth that. I'd go for a good specced C5 estate then.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

That's hilarious. How on earth can a C6 be worth that. I'd go for a good specced C5 estate then.

14 years old too! Come on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

very niche car, i can kind of buy it

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

C6s vary wildly in price based on engine and spec. In most of Europe, you can find "regular" 2.7HDi Exclusives(top trim level) for 5-10k. Much rarer are the petrol V6s as Europe was deep in the throes of that bullshit push for diesels at the time, so not many people bought them. They're pretty sought after at the moment because of the whole "not a diesel" thing, plus scarcity. They tend to go for 10-20k from what I've seen. Then you have the 2009+ 3.0HDi models which have the same fuel economy as the old 2.7s but with a power bump from 204 to 241ps, that are also newer, more reliable, and exclusively(pun intended) fully loaded on equipment. Those can and do go for 30k EUR. So considering the differences in availability, I'm not surprised that prices are pretty steep in Aus for C6s :v:

I'd personally go for a C5 estate from those options, if you're looking for the best allround car. Do the Carlsson special editions exist over there?

The 607 is the fun option, they're exceedingly comfortable and have fun French quirks. Basically,

BalloonFish posted:

Unfortunately -07s are past the peak of Peugeot in terms of both looks and durability. The 607 is still a lovely (and very French) old barge to roll around in, especially in V6 form. As a Xantia owner I'm biased, but I'd go for a C5 with 205PS V6. They also have the Hydractive 3+ hydropneumatic suspension with its twin driving modes and automatic ride height selection. It doesn't feel like a 'proper' hydropneumatic Citroen (and lacks the power-hydraulic brakes and steering) but they do feel like a really, really good and well set-up coil-spring car.

*cough*406coupeisprobablystillbetterthanboth*cough* dusty in here isn't it

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Preliminary shot of the wheels on the car:

The trim pieces covering the wheels have these metal reinforcement brackets that extend into the wheel well about 10mm past the trim pieces, and the wheels would foul on them so I cut them right down to the trim. This leaves me with nearly a fingers worth (10mm or so) of space between the trim/bracket and the tyre sidewall when the car is at normal height, and maybe 3mm when the car is fully lowered.

Before

After

That should be okay, I think? I'm tempted to cut a bit more away just in case, but I'd have to start cutting into the trim itself which I'd rather keep to a minimum. How much movement can I expect from the rear wheels under heavy cornering?

Pretty pleased with the look though.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Grakkus posted:

Preliminary shot of the wheels on the car:

:flashfap: yesssssss

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Looks amazing!

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Who would have thought, hiding half the wheel could look soo good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Decided to tidy up some rock chips on the passenger side before putting the new wheel on in case of accidents. This will be my first time repainting actual body panels, with clear coat and everything, so I'm not expecting a lot, but anything is better than this:

First layer of primer on, will do the remaining coats over the weekend. I plan to get the whole car professionally repainted to a high standard at some point, probably in a year or two, but for now it just needs to be a bit less rough. Speaking of which, my dad's CX is going for body and paint tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be picking up a pristine golden torpedo by the end of the year!

Also, somebody please talk me out of buying a peugeot 403 pickup