Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
-going action star!!

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan is a new drama on Prime Video which features....well.....Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, an analyst-turned-field-agent-turned-president-eventually-apparently-but-not-here. This season follows his induction into field work as he discovers dubious bank transfers that lead to him following the trail of a terrorist organisation with plans to launch an attack on the US.

The series is created and ran by Carlton Cuse, showrunner extraordinaire, and Graham Roland, writer for LOST and Fringe, among others, and previously a member of the US Marine Corps who served in Iraq. It stars John Krasinski as the titular Clancy's Ryan, the awesome Wendell Pierce as his boss James Greer, Abbie Cornish as his love interest Cathy Muller, and Ali Suliman as Suleiman, an Islamic activist who I assume is the main baddie terrorist because America and all that. Main directors include Morten Tyldum of that creepy-rear end Passengers movie, The Imitation Game, and the Counterpart pilot, and Daniel Sackheim, a prolific TV director with credits ranging from The X-Files to TWD to The Leftovers to The Americans....a lot of 'the' shows, basically.

Reviews so far are positive, but far from exemplary. A second season has already been ordered and is either just about to begin shooting or has already, with a South American setting as opposed to the Middle East focus of the first.

Jack Ryan season 1 is out on Prime Video now! First episode is decent, but realistically y'know it's a relatively straightforward Tom Clancy action show, you probably already know if you're gonna dig it or not.

Here's a trailer.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished episode 1. Solid so far. Starting episode 2, the romance angle feels forced and lacking chemistry.

tatertot
Aug 29, 2003
Stopped watching after Jack Ryan knew all the Jeapordy answers.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it being adapted from the books or are they going of their own storylines?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Laughed so hard in episode 5 at Tupac420

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm really digging this. The cast is great and the action has been terrific.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Solid first episode. I'm all in.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm not going to watch this but from the trailers it looks like they are couching the Yemen situation as one where a earnest white guy can Get the Bad Guys and Save the Day and that seriously makes me a little ill.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Does this show have office pranks?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jack starts off his first day at the CIA by accidentally putting his boss's stapler in Jell-o instead of Dwight's.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

I'm not going to watch this but from the trailers it looks like they are couching the Yemen situation as one where a earnest white guy can Get the Bad Guys and Save the Day and that seriously makes me a little ill.

This is bacsically homeland with a handsome white guy. Nothing wrong with it as a show. All these terrorist shows and movies do it

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I feel like the first episode has a twist ending. It's like: surprise, you've been following these bureaucratic CIA drones in DC and bloodthirsty SOG grunts in Yemen when the real hero brothers who have undergone tremendous tragedy and physical pain as young boys outsmart them at the end. Not quite sure that's what they're going for.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

This is bacsically homeland with a handsome white guy. Nothing wrong with it as a show. All these terrorist shows and movies do it

I think Homeland is a little more complex than that, outside the Abu Nazir seasons.

(Though there's, of course, currently only one extant season of JR.)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Some of this dialogue is... weak. Show don't tell.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

I feel like the first episode has a twist ending. It's like: surprise, you've been following these bureaucratic CIA drones in DC and bloodthirsty SOG grunts in Yemen when the real hero brothers who have undergone tremendous tragedy and physical pain as young boys outsmart them at the end. Not quite sure that's what they're going for.

That was my thought as well. So far, "the bad guys" have a way more interesting story.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think Homeland is a little more complex than that, outside the Abu Nazir seasons.

(Though there's, of course, currently only one extant season of JR.)

Complex yes, but it's always Murica vs the muslim world. This show is not much different in that regard.

Saying that, i'm enjoying it.

I loved the Ebola easter egg in the fist couple episodes. TC thumbprint.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 1, 2018

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I like it so far. Very much US vs Islam but in a still enjoyable way.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Episode 4

:stare:

Also, RIP acerbic hot French cop lady. Shoulda gotten on that when you had a chance, Ryan.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm on episode 5 and I'm really liking it. For a show called Jack Ryan they made drat sure that he was the blandest character possible. The show spends way more time on Suleiman and I'm glad. I don't condone what he does but his character makes sense. Also I credit the show for having the characters speak French and Arabic with subtitles instead of stupid accented English.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Drone Operator story is amazing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
End of ep 6 was legitimately tense as hell

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Ep 2, so happy to see the return of CTU perimeters where the main baddie can walk out of easily, unnoticed by anyone not named Jack

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Oof, John Krasinski it wholly unconvincing whenever he has to be tough or show some spine.

CeeJee posted:

Ep 2, so happy to see the return of CTU perimeters where the main baddie can walk out of easily, unnoticed by anyone not named Jack

And then he just sorta let's him get away. Shows should have better writing than this in 2018.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 2, 2018

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It's like, at least for the action at the end of ep1 and ep2 they didn't talk to a single military or law enforcement expert..

I mean Tom Clancy has problems, but one thing he always did in his origional Ryanverse books was talk to military folks. Sure sometimes it was to wank off with future war stuff but this poo poo never would have flown in a Clancy book.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In this series you will probably be cheering for the bad guy than white guy who did crew and is good at maths.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Elendil004 posted:

It's like, at least for the action at the end of ep1 and ep2 they didn't talk to a single military or law enforcement expert..

I mean Tom Clancy has problems, but one thing he always did in his origional Ryanverse books was talk to military folks. Sure sometimes it was to wank off with future war stuff but this poo poo never would have flown in a Clancy book.

Yeah, those French SWAT guys were totally owned by what looked like 5 teenagers who were smoking pot 30 seconds ago.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finished the season last night. Overall, I'd say it was average. I'll probably never rewatch that season. They could have cut out several side plots and lost nothing.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hughmoris posted:

Solid so far. the romance angle feels forced and lacking chemistry.

This is pretty much a synopsis for Red Storm Rising too.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah, those French SWAT guys were totally owned by what looked like 5 teenagers who were smoking pot 30 seconds ago.

I laughed when they just walked by that kid. Yeah no way a terrorist cell would use kids as lookouts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You are an American wolf!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This show is pretty fuckin good.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Halfway through and it's like a 6/10 for me.. It does everything decent but that's about it. The action is serviceable, the plot's okay, but moments that should be tense never felt so and there's some eye-rolling moments.

At the end of Ep.4 with the funeral massacre. Like.. the terrorists did a super good job of being noticeable with their bright duffel bags which were left open and I find it hard to believe no one spotted em sooner. Also, there's only one entrance/exit? Nobody went for any other way out like windows? They tried to make it more emotional with a focus on some random French couple and closeups of people trying to get through the door but I just didn't care for em and the whole scene in general wasn't as shocking or emotional as it could've been. Oh and when Jack goes after that guy in the shed, he gets ambushed by the dude who has a gun the whole time but never uses it until he's basically done. He could've just shot Jack from the shadows but I understand why that didn't happen... but it was just so unbelieveable I'd rather they have shown that he had lost the gun in the pursuit or something.

It's only 8 episodes so I'm going to finish it but hopefully it gets better.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 2, 2018

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Elendil004 posted:

I guess it costs nothing for a writer to go 'while 300 uniformed cops handled the perimeter the SWAT team went in with helicopters overhead' while a TV show would have to pay for all that.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
The fake video game chat scene in episode 5 was loving awful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Elendil004 posted:

No, instead he would have spent six pages talking about every single aspect of an Abrams tank or an F-15 or some poo poo.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Timby posted:

No, instead he would have spent six pages talking about every single aspect of an Abrams tank or an F-15 or some poo poo.

Sure but like if any show is gonna do that it should be a Tom Clancy show.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

No, instead he would have spent six pages talking about every single aspect of an Abrams tank or an F-15 or some poo poo how Chinese penises are small and pathetic compared to massive American man-meat and how a flat tax is the best possible way to benefit the rich everybody.
Those are genuine Clancy digressions, by the way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

You are an American wolf!

French MILF was the best

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Good show. Wish they bothered to keep track of bullet counts though, magic pistols everywhere that seem to carry 20 bullets or more. They waste them on half-assed shots and never seem to reload or carry extra magazines, and yet they just keep shooting.

Also the ending had a major plot hole for me...

(ENDING SPOILER) At the end there's a bomb with a cell phone activation. The secret service shuts down the cell tower so the terrorists can't call the bomb. I'm expecting the leader to send one of the terrorists back inside to manually set the bomb off, sacrificing himself but keeping the plan going. But instead they say "we need to get far enough away" and they go running to try to get to another cell phone tower. This makes zero loving sense, as the bomb would still have to be able to receive the call, and the bomb isn't moving now is it? When Jack gets to the terrorist and shoots him, he grabs his phone to see that it had JUST gotten cell phone service, and he shuts the phone off, just in the neck of time to save the bomb from going off. Except, how the hell did that call connect? Doesn't really work. Sloppy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CeeJee posted:

Somewhat similar, at the end (ENDING SPOILER) Someone happens to notice the kid speaking Arabic or something so shoots the bodyguard and arrests him, and yet somehow NOBODY is observant enough to notice that the crying kid is staring at his father and tracking him as he moves and practically calling out to him? And then somehow even after the father is gone, our hero Jack Ryan shows up and instantly realizes that the kid looking to the left meant his dad went that way. But really, NOBODY is gonna glance over to see what that kid is looking at and notice the suspicious EMT? Jeeze man.