Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its definitely not perfect, but I definitely enjoy this show more than 24 or Homeland.

Pierson posted:

Is it being adapted from the books or are they going of their own storylines?

Pretty sure this is all new, unless there was a book where Jack Ryan hunted Bin Laden that I missed.

They're trying to adapt it to be more modern than cold war stuff.

E: I guess it pulls some ideas from Executive Orders, but Jack isn't where he was in that book so its pretty heavily new stuff.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So is Matice basically John Clark? Seems to fill that role. Either he's a new character or Matice is an alias he's using for some reason.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's really funny that Jack Ryan has an arc where he learns to be comfortable killing a suspect with civilians in the way. That's some Die Hard-rear end poo poo.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Show is ok, entertaining but not worth rewatching. Seems like they're just milking the Tom Clancy / Jack Ryan name. Not a lot of correlation between the character of Jack Ryan in the books vs this show. Agree with the other comments that the bad guys have more interesting plot than the good guys.

Zaphod42 posted:

Good show. Wish they bothered to keep track of bullet counts though, magic pistols everywhere that seem to carry 20 bullets or more. They waste them on half-assed shots and never seem to reload or carry extra magazines, and yet they just keep shooting.

Also the ending had a major plot hole for me...

(ENDING SPOILER) At the end there's a bomb with a cell phone activation. The secret service shuts down the cell tower so the terrorists can't call the bomb. I'm expecting the leader to send one of the terrorists back inside to manually set the bomb off, sacrificing himself but keeping the plan going. But instead they say "we need to get far enough away" and they go running to try to get to another cell phone tower. This makes zero loving sense, as the bomb would still have to be able to receive the call, and the bomb isn't moving now is it? When Jack gets to the terrorist and shoots him, he grabs his phone to see that it had JUST gotten cell phone service, and he shuts the phone off, just in the neck of time to save the bomb from going off. Except, how the hell did that call connect? Doesn't really work. Sloppy.

At 24:30 it shows them hardwiring it to land line. Also a lot of handguns can carry 20 rounds.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LesterGroans posted:

It's really funny that Jack Ryan has an arc where he learns to be comfortable killing a suspect with civilians in the way. That's some Die Hard-rear end poo poo.

Really hope they don't turn Ryan into Jack Bauer.

mysteryberto posted:

At 24:30 it shows them hardwiring it to land line.

Ahh, good catch. I thought they were just plugging in power for the fans but you're right.

mysteryberto posted:

Also a lot of handguns can carry 20 rounds.

Typically to get those numbers you need some kind of extended magazine protruding below the gun at least a little bit. But yeah I guess they could all just have 20-round handgun mags. Its not impossible it just seems implausible for service weapons.

But then again its pretty reasonable for them to have like 18 rounds so guess that checks out fine. Still seems like they're wasting bullets though.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 2, 2018

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I will say I love the look in the last ep that Kathy gives the Secret Service guy as she hits the fire alarm.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Jack "figuring poo poo out" is almost to the point of parody in this show. I still enjoyed it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Hughmoris posted:

Some of this dialogue is... weak. Show don't tell.
with ep1 full of gems like "jack it's me joe miller, I'm your ex-boss from a previous job" I'm not sure the writers have ever heard real people speak to each other

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This was fun. I kinda wish they got a full 22-23 episode season with maybe 1-2 extra episodes to fit everything in, and maybe if they made events occur in real time too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Terrorist guy tells his son that the mother is dead but the next episode he says "we're going to save your mother and sisters..."

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

mcmagic posted:

Terrorist guy tells his son that the mother is dead but the next episode he says "we're going to save your mother and sisters..."

Yeah kind of strange the son was never mad about that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah kind of strange the son was never mad about that.

Arab sons don't get mad at Arab fathers, especially when the father has a terrorist network and is by and and large a nice guy.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Man some dumb stuff happened in episode 7.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mcmagic posted:

He wasn't speaking literally. He said the mom is now living with the Americans and that she's basically dead to their family.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

He wasn't speaking literally. He said the mom is now living with the Americans and that she's basically dead to their family.

Doesn't he tell his son she's dead after he gives the order to have her killed?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Bodyguard is 3 epiosdes in and has twice the story telling of Jack Ryan.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Doesn't he tell his son she's dead after he gives the order to have her killed?

Yep

nooneofconsequence posted:

Man some dumb stuff happened in episode 7.

I hate when major plot developments revolve around children being idiots

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's sort of tough to have a solid series if the main lead and actor is so forgettable.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

He wasn't, though. John Krasinski is charismatic and fun to watch, and I don't think I would have enjoyed this show so much if it was some no-name actor. It was really the character of Jack Ryan that was written as a little too bland, and I think it's a credit to Krasinski that he was able to bring it off as well as he did. Maybe with a second season they'll have a little more leeway to write him as something other than the perfect milquetoast protagonist.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Krasinski is the worst element of the show for me, even more than the sloppy writing. He seems like a nice guy in real life, but he just doesn't have the range to pull off the self-serious, tortured bad-rear end. I'll probably keep watching just for Wendell Pierce.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
saw the first episode and it was meh. Does it get any better. Also, why didn't they just shoot him as they were exiting the room at the end? It doesn't seem like he would be able to lob a grenade down the hallway when he has 5 rounds in his chest/head.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Wizgot posted:

saw the first episode and it was meh. Does it get any better. Also, why didn't they just shoot him as they were exiting the room at the end? It doesn't seem like he would be able to lob a grenade down the hallway when he has 5 rounds in his chest/head.

That's about par for the course for the whole series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Phenotype posted:

He wasn't, though. John Krasinski is charismatic and fun to watch, and I don't think I would have enjoyed this show so much if it was some no-name actor. It was really the character of Jack Ryan that was written as a little too bland, and I think it's a credit to Krasinski that he was able to bring it off as well as he did. Maybe with a second season they'll have a little more leeway to write him as something other than the perfect milquetoast protagonist.

He's forgettable. I can't even describe him.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Is this exactly like any Tom Clancy novel in that it’s completely straight faced hoo-rah America is great action hero with zero irony or self awareness?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It isn’t jingoistic, no

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I like him better than Kiefer Sutherland by far, but he does seem the weaker part of the show. I agree with everybody saying Suleiman is the best actor and character in S1.

The thing for me with Krasinski is that whenever he actually tries to act I just see Jim.

That scene where he's getting all serious with the doctor woman and telling her about the awful moment in his past, he doesn't look like he's mourning. He looks like he's got to deliver some really bad news and he feels sorry for you, not that he himself feels bad. Like "oh, hey, sorry about this" and I just see Jim Halpert, not Jack Ryan.

The Bunk was pretty good as his boss.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was on Mousa’s side at first. Kid just wanted to rock out to Safety Dance and not do his chores.

The US took that away from him.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I don't but Krasinski so far as an action actor.

I'd rather watch a show of Suleiman, how a survivor of a bombing and finances grad, turned into terrorist.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

benzine posted:

I'd rather watch a show of Suleiman, how a survivor of a bombing and finances grad, turned into terrorist.

Its Narcos all over again

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

John DiFool posted:

Is this exactly like any Tom Clancy novel in that it’s completely straight faced hoo-rah America is great action hero with zero irony or self awareness?

The main lead Krasinski said he wanted to make a TV series for red state republicans.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Rocksicles posted:

The Bodyguard is 3 epiosdes in and has twice the story telling of Jack Ryan.

I'd heard good things and this comment pushed me over the edge.

Ya'll... Bodyguard is really loving awesome.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was on Mousa’s side at first. Kid just wanted to rock out to Safety Dance and not do his chores.

Israel bombed his house. That was the start of the 1982 Lebanon War

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Israel bombed his house. That was the start of the 1982 Lebanon War

An excellent movie of that war is Waltz with Bashir

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

benzine posted:

An excellent movie of that war is Waltz with Bashir

LadyPictureShow posted:

It could have been US planes, i just rewatched the beginning it says 1983 and the US first dropped bombs in 1983. Also, that's when Safety Dance came out.

edit: But the plane profile looks a lot like an Israeli C7

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 4, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What's a better version of this show that I can jump on? Flaws and all, it really hit my 24 itch that I thought had been scratched for good, and I do wish there were more than 8 episodes. I fell off of Homeland around season 4, so I don't know that I'd want to try jumping back on.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Phenotype posted:

What's a better version of this show that I can jump on? Flaws and all, it really hit my 24 itch that I thought had been scratched for good, and I do wish there were more than 8 episodes. I fell off of Homeland around season 4, so I don't know that I'd want to try jumping back on.

Can't think of anything that is a close match. Killing Eve and The Americans are both recent good spy shows though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

Deep State ? Mark Strong is the main guy.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Phenotype posted:

Not sure if it can be found anywhere but I remember The Grid from 2004 being very good.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

does jim ever shoot anyone and then give that look into the camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Is this as good as Homeland season 1? Or is it more like the later seasons (bad)?