Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It was really stupid the drone guy didn't at least try to use a translation app or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The only point of the drone guy was to add in a plot related tits scene.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I liked it, some stuff was dumb though. The drone pilot plot felt a bit like filler, and the part where he says what happened with the chopper was so out of place, it made me laugh at the stupidity of it.

Choco Zulu
Oct 10, 2007

A critical mass of chocolate confectionary
Having Bunk in this show is great, especially with scenes at Jim's cubicle and arguments in the office. It also seems like a natural extension for him to carry heavy weaponry and riding in APCs etc. Perhaps he could show up in other shows as the same character ala Munch?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Based on other comments in this thread I feel like I enjoyed this show more because I've never seen The Office and wasn't seeing Krazynski as Jim.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I really enjoyed the show. I don't think of him as Jim so I guess that helps out a lot. Kinda hoping they go through the whole series of Jack Ryan bookswith this.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

People keep mentioning 24 or Homeland, but how is it compared to STRIKE BACK

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

People keep mentioning 24 or Homeland, but how is it compared to STRIKE BACK

It's much worse than Strike Back

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Matice has been re-upped as a regular for season 2

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hexel posted:

Matice has been re-upped as a regular for season 2
Maybe he should be the protagonist in season 2 while they're at it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

mystes posted:

Maybe he should be the protagonist in season 2 while they're at it.

Krasinski is kinda forgettable as a leading man but i like the overall supporting cast and thought it was a decent action thriller.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

lol the french police are so incompetent in this show

etalian posted:

This show is basically a republican dream come true especially the whole incompetent dumb foreigners bit.

I was in Paris last summer. They're undertrained. Casually sweeping civilians with the muzzles of their SMGs while on patrol was my particular favorite (saw this so much I turned it into a drinking game, suspect they weren't even loaded because who the gently caress does that), followed by never looking up in a city of man-made canyons. What the hell are they patrolling if they aren't checking those sight lines? Then an actual incident went down (not exciting, some nut with a hammer @ Notre Dame) and I got to see the French version of SWAT in action. They were screaming more than the civilians, apparently unaware that screaming doesn't calm anything down. I seriously thought this one guy in heavy body armor ten feet away was going to stroke out. He was wearing more armor than Optimus Prime, and was like beet-loving-red and hollering at an APC for awhile until he finally realized no one was inside of it. Maybe he was mad that someone left an APC unattended in the middle of the street? I'd be mad too, but yelling at the vehicle isn't going to help. How about use one of the radios attached to your body?

Then the army showed and things tightened up. I think they figured a lone wolf was either a nutjob or a honeypot, spread out and got elevation. Good firearm discipline and no fear on their faces. Swept for unexploded IEDs immediately instead of clustering up and gawking at each other. The training difference was huge.

Show is good. Best Jack Ryan since Red October but still Jack Ryan.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I haven't been to Europe since 2013. I imagine the general atmosphere in a lot of places must be very different now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Turkey seemed great before the whole ISIS thing

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

My parents went to Turkey this year and they weren't blown up. Hardly any Western tourists which is also a big plus.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh yeah I'm not saying it's a deathzone but I feel like the mood must be significantly more somber these days when someone like Erdogan has so much popular support. I feel 10 years ago the thinking was they would be joining the EU any day now.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

etalian posted:

The only point of the drone guy was to add in a plot related tits scene.

Carlton Cuse loves having characters cross paths. Seems like the whole thing was to get the drone guy to the middle east so they could show him walking out of the same airport as Jack.

Overall I like the show a lot. Very entertaining and well acted by the main cast members. Looking forward to season 2.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Michael B. Jordan is playing the lead role of John Clark in a Rainbow Six movie with plans for more in a franchise. Crossover in the future please.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Mu Zeta posted:

Michael B. Jordan is playing the lead role of John Clark in a Rainbow Six movie with plans for more in a franchise. Crossover in the future please.

You’d think they would do Without Remorse first, considering Jordan's age.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

physeter posted:

I was in Paris last summer. They're undertrained. Casually sweeping civilians with the muzzles of their SMGs while on patrol was my particular favorite (saw this so much I turned it into a drinking game, suspect they weren't even loaded because who the gently caress does that), followed by never looking up in a city of man-made canyons. What the hell are they patrolling if they aren't checking those sight lines? Then an actual incident went down (not exciting, some nut with a hammer @ Notre Dame) and I got to see the French version of SWAT in action. They were screaming more than the civilians, apparently unaware that screaming doesn't calm anything down. I seriously thought this one guy in heavy body armor ten feet away was going to stroke out. He was wearing more armor than Optimus Prime, and was like beet-loving-red and hollering at an APC for awhile until he finally realized no one was inside of it. Maybe he was mad that someone left an APC unattended in the middle of the street? I'd be mad too, but yelling at the vehicle isn't going to help. How about use one of the radios attached to your body?

Then the army showed and things tightened up. I think they figured a lone wolf was either a nutjob or a honeypot, spread out and got elevation. Good firearm discipline and no fear on their faces. Swept for unexploded IEDs immediately instead of clustering up and gawking at each other. The training difference was huge.

Show is good. Best Jack Ryan since Red October but still Jack Ryan.

Brussels also had a lot of regular cops suddenly given heavy gear to beef up the presence on the streets. At some point they must have run out of weapons because a lot were carrying Uzis, Beretta SMG's and carbines like they just stepped out of a 70's Italian police movie.

But the French really got screwed over in this show. Not only the botched raid but after suffering a massive WMD nerve gas terror attack they vanish from the show as soon as Ryan leaves France, not doing anything themselves but apparently passively waiting by the sidelines waiting for the CIA to give them information. As if they do not have their own secret services.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 21, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Diabetic posted:

I really enjoyed the show. I don't think of him as Jim so I guess that helps out a lot. Kinda hoping they go through the whole series of Jack Ryan bookswith this.

They probably will, Amazon has slapped Krasinski on the covers of all the Jack Ryan audio books.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it was Netflix they probably would have already ordered twice as many seasons as there are books.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The show doesn't really have anything to do with the books, though. Jack is a CIA analyst, Greer is his boss, but that's about it. The Jack Ryan origin story in the books is much different -- it's set in the '80s, and he helps stop an IRA attack on the British Royal Family and gets mixed up with the terrorists and CIA from there. I suppose there's nothing stopping them from using some of the plots from future books, but so far there's nothing that indicates they aren't just slapping the name onto 24 fan scripts.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

CeeJee posted:

Now I've finished it this is Strike Back with half the charm and a quarter of the action.

I quite liked Jack Ryan, but this is spot on.

This made me start rewatching Strike Back and even the british season with Armitage plays better.

This is roughly on par with the Nu! Strike Back that premiered earlier this year - by no means bad and certainly has its moments. But its got a good long ways to go before really clicking on a higher level.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

This is roughly on par with the Nu! Strike Back that premiered earlier this year - by no means bad and certainly has its moments. But its got a good long ways to go before really clicking on a higher level.

So... three episodes?

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I'm still confused by the whole swinger scene.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
an homage to Quinn from Homeland?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I mentioned it earlier in the thread but it does feel like a red herring. It’s absolutely the place a lot of these stories would introduce a fifth column.

Is there any service I can stream Strike Back? Aside from Cinemax streaming.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I think it was just a clancyism. He would always get into the backstory of some random person with a bunch of detail only to have them be a minor-albeit-key player later on.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

I think it was just a clancyism. He would always get into the backstory of some random person with a bunch of detail only to have them be a minor-albeit-key player later on.

Yep, this is exactly what I was going to say. That whole digression was very Clancy. It was also kinda his way of being a moral scold.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

There's a bunch of ways that would play out the way it did which would have worked but the one they went with left me going wtf?

It's half a story. The husband seems to basically be setting up the whole scene, to what end? He gets off on punching people? He can't say no to his wife? The whole thing is way too smooth. It's like a conjob with but no con.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

People are saying it was a red herring in that yeah, basically, the husband gets off on punching people. The scene is framed for this poor drone jockey going on a destructive bender and getting in over his head with this couple who are gonna rob and maybe kill him... but no, he just likes seeing his wife gently caress other men and then likes to get a little rough with them. It's just a sexual game they like to play, they're not even interested in his money. It's not half a story, it's just a much shorter and less-important story than the show frames it to be.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but it does feel like a red herring. It’s absolutely the place a lot of these stories would introduce a fifth column.

Is there any service I can stream Strike Back? Aside from Cinemax streaming.

amazons got it

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

tom clancy's dying wish, to put a terrorist led lebanese family playing monopoly in the show

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Decided to rewatch the show, and my god, Samir is a god damned space cadet. It'd be funny if it wasn't played so straight.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

show needs more badass bunk and like we've always known, john clark should be the main character

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Complex yes, but it's always Murica vs the muslim world.

So like the real world then?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I can't believe I watched a whole season of this show. So many questions: How did Suleiman time the poisoned vitamins to sync up with a rescue that wasn't even a sure thing at that point? How was the terrorist's video game account not password-protected? How is it even remotely possible that a guy responsible for two recent terrorist attacks (one against the president) whose picture is surely loving everywhere is able to get inside the country? What was the point of the drone guy storyline? Was it really necessary to gesture toward the "you're just a pencil-pushing, boy scout analyst, Jack!" shtick in every other line of dialogue?

Just terrible.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
It’s watchable but with plenty of flaws. Anybody ever catch the AMC show Rubicon? Really good single season slow burn spy thriller that was very realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

beanieson posted:

It’s watchable but with plenty of flaws. Anybody ever catch the AMC show Rubicon? Really good single season slow burn spy thriller that was very realistic.

I missed this when it first came out, and now there seems to be no legal way to watch it.