Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jack starts off his first day at the CIA by accidentally putting his boss's stapler in Jell-o instead of Dwight's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

This was fun. I kinda wish they got a full 22-23 episode season with maybe 1-2 extra episodes to fit everything in, and maybe if they made events occur in real time too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

He wasn't, though. John Krasinski is charismatic and fun to watch, and I don't think I would have enjoyed this show so much if it was some no-name actor. It was really the character of Jack Ryan that was written as a little too bland, and I think it's a credit to Krasinski that he was able to bring it off as well as he did. Maybe with a second season they'll have a little more leeway to write him as something other than the perfect milquetoast protagonist.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What's a better version of this show that I can jump on? Flaws and all, it really hit my 24 itch that I thought had been scratched for good, and I do wish there were more than 8 episodes. I fell off of Homeland around season 4, so I don't know that I'd want to try jumping back on.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

NoDamage posted:

Up to episode 6 so far. So far it seems pretty generic, retreading the same territory as 24 and Homeland. It's not bad, but not amazing either. One plot point stood out as not making any sense to me:

Episode 3: Creepy rapist guy gets hit by a drone strike at the end of the episode.
Episode 6: He comes back, totally fine, and is chasing after the girls again. Are we supposed to believe he walked away from that without a scratch?

Wait, that was the same guy? I thought I was just being racist and thinking all the terrorists look the same. Yeah, that's loving stupid, even the terrorist's wife almost didn't get up from that blast.

Hasselblad posted:

I don't know if it is the acting writing or directing, but I concur. Getting uber upset that a guy who told you his job was a boring job turning out to be a pseudo badass agent guy is kind of :wtf:

This irritated me too, as it usually does when someone reveals their secret identity as a selfless hero and their friends get mad. Literally all he'd told her was "My job is really boring, I just keep track of buying boring stuff for the government, let's not talk about it anymore because it's so boring." It's not like there was some intricate web of lies that he'd been maintaining.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

The show doesn't really have anything to do with the books, though. Jack is a CIA analyst, Greer is his boss, but that's about it. The Jack Ryan origin story in the books is much different -- it's set in the '80s, and he helps stop an IRA attack on the British Royal Family and gets mixed up with the terrorists and CIA from there. I suppose there's nothing stopping them from using some of the plots from future books, but so far there's nothing that indicates they aren't just slapping the name onto 24 fan scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

People are saying it was a red herring in that yeah, basically, the husband gets off on punching people. The scene is framed for this poor drone jockey going on a destructive bender and getting in over his head with this couple who are gonna rob and maybe kill him... but no, he just likes seeing his wife gently caress other men and then likes to get a little rough with them. It's just a sexual game they like to play, they're not even interested in his money. It's not half a story, it's just a much shorter and less-important story than the show frames it to be.