Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Solid first episode. I'm all in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

qirex posted:

I'm not going to watch this but from the trailers it looks like they are couching the Yemen situation as one where a earnest white guy can Get the Bad Guys and Save the Day and that seriously makes me a little ill.

This is bacsically homeland with a handsome white guy. Nothing wrong with it as a show. All these terrorist shows and movies do it

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think Homeland is a little more complex than that, outside the Abu Nazir seasons.

(Though there's, of course, currently only one extant season of JR.)

Complex yes, but it's always Murica vs the muslim world. This show is not much different in that regard.

Saying that, i'm enjoying it.

I loved the Ebola easter egg in the fist couple episodes. TC thumbprint.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 1, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah kind of strange the son was never mad about that.

Arab sons don't get mad at Arab fathers, especially when the father has a terrorist network and is by and and large a nice guy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Bodyguard is 3 epiosdes in and has twice the story telling of Jack Ryan.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was on Mousa’s side at first. Kid just wanted to rock out to Safety Dance and not do his chores.

The US took that away from him.

Israel bombed his house. That was the start of the 1982 Lebanon War

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

benzine posted:

An excellent movie of that war is Waltz with Bashir

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was on Mousa’s side at first. Kid just wanted to rock out to Safety Dance and not do his chores.

The US took that away from him.

It could have been US planes, i just rewatched the beginning it says 1983 and the US first dropped bombs in 1983. Also, that's when Safety Dance came out.

edit: But the plane profile looks a lot like an Israeli C7

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 4, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

What's a better version of this show that I can jump on? Flaws and all, it really hit my 24 itch that I thought had been scratched for good, and I do wish there were more than 8 episodes. I fell off of Homeland around season 4, so I don't know that I'd want to try jumping back on.

Deep State ? Mark Strong is the main guy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NoDamage posted:

Binged the rest of the series. A few more thoughts:

- Bunk is the best actor on this show by miles.

He's a suit and tie wearing motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hasselblad posted:

I don't know if it is the acting writing or directing, but I concur. Getting uber upset that a guy who told you his job was a boring job turning out to be a pseudo badass agent guy is kind of :wtf:
*just tracked down wife of Bin Laden type and saved 12 hostages* I CAN'T TRUST YOU!
Really came off as dumb.

I just watch him and imagine the character IS Bunk and somehow landed the CIA job after his stint with Baltimore Homicide.
He needs a cigar. I expect at certain moments for him to turn to Jim and say "There you go giving a gently caress, when it's not your turn to give a gently caress". Jim has a little McNutty in him. Fake edit: Show needs Bubbles

Get the Baltimore lie detector going on some terrorist.