Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Only watched up to episode three so far. What the gently caress was up with the Lee Turgeson plot line?

Speaking of this point in the series (watched up to e3 on a Vegas flight and I'll continue on the way home) it seemed a bit of an unnecessary detour to spend so much narrative heft and screen time on Tombstone the drone pilot's lovely personal life and massive guilt. Yeah, heavy-handed blood money metaphor, I get it. But it was kind of like they decided the episode would be ten minutes shorter if they didn't devote time to the backstory of the deus ex machina, which I don't think I've ever seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I mean, maybe it was meant to be a narrative curveball? I mean, as someone that watched a lot of these types of movie when I was younger, I fully expected the two of them to kill the drone pilot and take his credentials for an attack on the base. That pretty much is a constant around this point of the story in the genre. I just don’t get the dissonance between the early 00’s open air terrorist training camps operating at the same time as the drone strikes that put an end to them.

You know, I thought that the couple was in on the plot at first as well, but the fact that they weren't just kind of made the whole thing a shaggy dog story which ended with Tombstone flying all the way the hell out to Syria to seek forgiveness from the father of the man he'd killed. That had no other real impact on the Suleiman story; it just gave us more detail on the guy who pulled the trigger on a literal deus ex machina that saved Hanin several episodes prior. No further use of the swinger couple (and a waste of Lee Tergeson to boot!) and no real utility to Riot Grrl or Tombstone other than a 30-second decision that -surprise!- didn't end up killing Yazid. Seriously, that explosion should've separated limbs from his body.

So now that I'm finished with the season I'm kind of hoping it goes the way of Bates Motel, another Carlton Cuse show that had a first season I found to be super loving wonky. Bates just got better and better as it went, but does anyone remember that first season? Hell of a pilot with a crazy ending, some odd deviations in plot that seem significant but then aren't really mentioned again for the remainder of the show's run (remember when Norman and company helped break up the underground human trafficking/prostitution ring?), and while I was overall entertained by it I felt like Season 1 of Bates Motel was super flawed and would need to put in some serious work in the future if I wanted to stick with it. Luckily, the show tightened up from a narrative perspective and dumped some of the dead weight and I really got into it. I hope Jack Ryan gets there, because so far I'm feeling the same way about it.

edit:oh poo poo I just remembered when Suleiman loving Clark Kented his way through Customs, big laughs at that

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 11, 2018

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Baronash posted:

In this case it was justified because Suleiman's son is an idiot.

I'm cautious of the use of the word "trope" in serious discussions on media due to A Particular Website, but nonetheless I'm so sick of the "dumbshit kid causes conflict due to shortsightedness/immaturity" trope

stay in the house, Carl
keep the bunker door closed, Simone
stop being an extremist, Son of Suleiman