Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
First impression is that this is the most consistent album they've put out in years. Finally going all-in on the synth pop/rock thing they've been teasing was the best possible move for them. And it's actually more rocky than I expected, anyway. In some strange way I feel like it rocks harder than Drones. It just has more energy. It's also harder to hear the lyrics most of the time... which is good.

"Dig Down" is still kind of embarrassing, lyrically, though I can see what they're going for with the slow burn to a big finale. "Get Up And Fight" is pretty corny too. I'm glad they mostly don't keep things too serious though. I actually LOL'd at the intro of "Propaganda" because it just sounded so dumb, but in a good way.

I do have a lingering sense that once the initial shock of this album not being an embarrassment wears off, I may have to reckon with the fact that even though they've changed up the instrumentation in a very compelling way, their songwriting has gotten a bit predictable. When they do something that doesn't sound "Musey" I'm often not on board, and when they do, I feel like I can see where the song's going from a mile away. I'm not sure where they go after this.

But for now, this is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Hedrigall posted:

The album’s leaked if you care to find it - it’s really easy. I’m gonna hold out for my real copy.

Fan reaction is incredibly positive which is surprising. People are loving Algorithm, Blockades and The Void in particular. Also apparently some of the alternate versions in the bonus tracks are amazing too.

Turns out those 3 songs are the big high points of the album for me. Thought Contagion and Pressure will hit the setlists for the rest of eternity which is fine they're fun and slap, so will Dig Down but it can get to gently caress.

Boy howdy does this album need to sound less clean though. A lot of these tracks are just a little bit of fiddling away from being proper Origin-era bangers and it's sad.

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
It's loving great. Their best album since Black Holes.

Algorithm and The Void as the opener and closer are A+. I've only heard the leak of the deluxe, my box set won't come until tonight, but the alternate versions I've heard are all better than the originals, imo. I can't loving wait for the tour, I go to a shitton of gigs anyway but these will be amazing live.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can't be the only one who keeps hearing "Genie In a Bottle" in the pre-chorus of "Something Human", right?

I guess it's a nice follow-up to the chorus of "Reapers" sounding kind of like that Madonna song.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

electricHyena posted:

It's loving great. Their best album since Black Holes.

Algorithm and The Void as the opener and closer are A+. I've only heard the leak of the deluxe, my box set won't come until tonight, but the alternate versions I've heard are all better than the originals, imo. I can't loving wait for the tour, I go to a shitton of gigs anyway but these will be amazing live.

Whole of the deluxe edition is on Spotify in the UK

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

They posted pretty much the whole album via lyric videos or new music videos last night on their youtube channel. I definitely like the alternative versions from the deluxe more than the originals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U23G0hGEUsU

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
Swap out for all of the alternate tracks and it would be a great album. My greatest concern is that post The Resistance, Dom has really been reduced to the role of timekeeping. The Adam Clayton of drumming; which doesn't reflect his skill level at all.

There are still too many songs of theirs which for all of the big beats just plod along in terms of the actual tempo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I love synthwave so every song that rides that groove is great. There are some major stinkers though. I think thats been the case from resistance onwards though.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I was worried but I'm mostly enjoying this album. The alternate reality versions are WAY better than the originals though.

Is there anywhere to buy the Super Deluxe version digitally before I consider a physical CD?

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 10, 2018

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there anywhere to buy the Super Deluxe version digitally before I consider a physical CD?

No. It is weird that the only way to own it is spending $50, but they give it away for free on Spotify and YouTube.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the alternates are definitely better, and dig down is still an atrocity. It has some lows, but the highs are better than their last couple of CDs.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The AR version of Dark Side is great but I wouldn't replace the album version with it. The album version is lots of fun.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Album straight up sounds like a B side compilation (minus The Dark Side)

SKIIIIIP ME

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pressure is my favorite. Thought contagion is the second best thing on here.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

Boy howdy does this album need to sound less clean though.

This is the big problem with it IMO, its synthwave influence but synthwave isnt usually that 'clean' its tape distorted and filtered, a contemporary attempt to emulate faulty 80's artefacts. If you just use all modern sounding synths and clean samples it sounds sterile.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

there was plenty of overclean sounding 80s music. not all of it was dirty sounding, moody john carpenter/moroder synth poo poo.

lots of these songs would fit in fine during certain periods of the 80s

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Only the first two tracks are good and the marching band "Pressure" is better than the real "Pressure", come at me

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Only the first two tracks are good and the marching band "Pressure" is better than the real "Pressure", come at me

I mean I don't agree but that's a fundamental assumption when talking about music i think.

the marching band pressure is solid though

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've let myself begin believing that Something Human is about Hugh Mann the decapodian spy on that one episode of Futurama

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How is Muse live? I am thinking of picking up tickets to see them?

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Go for it if you like the newer stuff, since they play less and less of the older classics in concert.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Do it, they’re still incredible. I’ve seen them over 10 times since 2005 and even though I miss some older setlists, the most recent festival show I saw might’ve been my favorite.

Also after having some time to reflect, Simulation Theory is a much better album than everything else after Black Holes and I enjoy it very much(just gotta take out Something Human and Get Up And Fight).

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 28, 2018

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How is Muse live? I am thinking of picking up tickets to see them?

Even poo poo songs are better live. They're more of a live act than a studio act, and Hysteria (which they will probably play until the end of time) sounds like the end of the world.

I skipped the Drones tour since I hated that album, and somehow my dumb sister went and got Apocalypse Please and Map of the Problematique and I hate her for it

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Muse has a couple of live albums. the one i've listened to, haarp, is pretty crazy if only because i prefer almost every single haarp version over the studio

they're a good live band. songs are changed to work with a live performance, they're changed because they felt like it, and it's almost always better than what gets laid down in the studio

if you even kinda like muse and can swing tickets you should probably see them

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Got tickets for April.

So stoked, it seems like they really go all out stage wise

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Break it to me is so goofy but drat its good. Record scratch guitar solo lol. Love it

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Saw them live for the first time a couple of days ago and the new songs worked for me. Only thing that sucked was they didn't play Hysteria the one song I wanted to see.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

diremonk posted:

Saw them live for the first time a couple of days ago and the new songs worked for me. Only thing that sucked was they didn't play Hysteria the one song I wanted to see.
the iHeartRadio gig right? Super short setlist, wouldn’t count on Hysteria being left out from their shows for good or anything.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Paperback Writer posted:

the iHeartRadio gig right? Super short setlist, wouldn’t count on Hysteria being left out from their shows for good or anything.

Yeah, I'm not that concerned that it is going to be dropped. It was more along the lines of "I'm never gonna drag my girlfriend to another Muse show and didn't get to hear Hysteria." At least I got to see Starlight.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So for most of the dates the opener is Walk the Moon but for those in Philly and DC, SWMRS is opening for you guys.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ultimately, unfortunately, forgettable.

A pity--I was once quite the Muse fan.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Friend saw them live and they did a

a cover of Deftones My Own Summer

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I just saw them in Oakland and they’re as great as ever. Holy gently caress what a good show. All the new songs were great and some of the jam medley’s include Futurism/Micro Cuts/Handler/Assassin/New Born

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Paperback Writer posted:

I just saw them in Oakland and they’re as great as ever. Holy gently caress what a good show. All the new songs were great and some of the jam medley’s include Futurism/Micro Cuts/Handler/Assassin/New Born

I can't wait to see them in Chicago!

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Being a Trombone player, I want to become a Muse Drone for this tour :(.

Saw them a week+ ago in SLC and still as good as ever. The props and additions to the show were just plain fun.

Dom messed up a few times and was cracking himself up. Matt forgot where he was supposed to get a different guitar from a roadie so he had to stop everyone else mid-intro as he ran around laughing at himself to get the guitar. You could tell it was totally Matt's fault too, he had that "Oh poo poo" giggling smile going that just made it even better.

If Muse comes through town, go see them. Always a treat to see them perform

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Langolas posted:

Being a Trombone player, I want to become a Muse Drone for this tour :(.

Saw them a week+ ago in SLC and still as good as ever. The props and additions to the show were just plain fun.
The horn players were so cool. They especially looked neat on the screen with it’s amazing HD cinematic effect.

The visuals were like Tron meets Terminator, and worked really well as a concept for a Muse show. There wasn’t really a dull moment(well, Mercy was the only song I actively found myself wishing for a more deserving tune). I’m of the opinion Simulation Theory is way better than anything since Black Holes, so I loved this setlist a lot more than the past couple tours.

they open with the alternate reality version of Algorithm, just watch this poo poo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVm3QWIl-w0&hd=1

here’s someone’s decent recording of the full San Diego show:
https://youtu.be/zgX3Yj3DhZY

Algorithm(Alternate Reality version)
Pressure
Psycho
Break It To Me
Uprising
Propaganda(Acoustic version)
Plug In Baby
Pray (unreleased song to be on a TV show)
The Dark Side
Supermassive Black Hole + Wild Thing outro
Thought Contagion
Interlude + Hysteria
Unsustainable
Dig Down(Acoustic Gospel Version)
————
Madness
Mercy
Time Is Running Out
Houston Jam(Futurism/Unnatural Selection/Micro Cuts)
Take A Bow
Prelude + Starlight
————
Algorithm
Stockholm Syndrome + Assassin riffs
Reapers + The Handler + New Born
Knights of Cydonia

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 14, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Saw these guys in Bristol last night and it was one of the best live shows I’ve been to. The light show and visuals were off the scale and the band were amazing.

I’m not the worlds biggest Muse fan but it was an incredible show, glad I went.

Tom Morello was incredibly embarrassing. His particular brand of “gently caress the American GUBMINT” does not work very well in the south west of England.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
THREAD RESURRECT!

Simulation Theory concert film/narrative film?? coming 17 August to IMAX (lmao do not go to cinemas) and 21 August to digital download

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYdFLiXarHU

quote:

Conceived and filmed at London's O2 Arena in September 2019 the film directed by Lance Drake, (who also directed all the promo videos for Simulation Theory album) and Produced by Muse, Pulse Films, Lance Drake, Jesse-Lee Stout and Matthew Bellamy, follows a team of scientists as they investigate the source of a paranormal anomaly appearing around the world. Blurring the lines between narrative and concert film, virtual and reality, Muse's most theatrical tour to date launches the viewer through a supernatural spectacle, questioning the world around us.

Also, there seem to be two physical merch bundles available for preorder here: https://www.muse.mu/film

Edit: the cheaper(!) boxset is $130ish USD but $350 AUD, what the gently caress Warner. what the gently caress

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 12, 2020

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress Warner, gently caress them so much, I just want a bluray of a band I like, I bought the expensive boxsets for the album and the Origin of Muse but this time, gently caress you warner, :filez: gently caress you forever, gently caress YOU, FUCKKKAFSZLXjgzdlr;sjgopkelrzjgopsdjg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Thread resurrection time!

There’s a brand new single called Won’t Stand Down coming imminently. It’s heavy as gently caress based on a 1 minute clip Matt himself live-streamed while driving, with his son headbanging to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BTL6zPTG4c

Lyrics are as poo poo as always but the music sounds awesome!

The webpage http://wontstanddown.muse.mu has been set up, password protected as I write this, but people have found the CSS and uncovered a link to this still from a video or maybe album art:

Please always keep in mind the widely known secret of Muse:

Hedrigall posted:

By the way if you haven't realised, Muse has been a parody band since 2006.

Edit: mods can this thread be renamed
MUSE: LP9 in 2022, single “Won’t Stand Down” coming soon

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 7, 2022