Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
That sounds excellent! It reminds me when I was hearing fuzzy previews of Stockholm Syndrome before Absolution came out. I think the drummer woke up as he was asleep on the last album. Also, looking forward to screaming Matt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That sounds pretty promising, fingers crossed that when it's really released it won't actually turn out to have an overly clean & quantized sound to it. Like "Reapers" which always felt so weak compared to how it could've potentially sounded.

This makes me want to listen to the last album again, I know I liked at least half of it. I'm not expecting anything really groundbreaking from them anymore, but hopefully it'll at least be fun workout music.

EDIT: Official band announcement, song drops next Thursday. Doesn't seem like there's any official audio clip or anything though

https://twitter.com/muse/status/1479468369543933959

quote:

OUR NEW SONG “WON’T STAND DOWN” WILL BE RELEASED ON THURSDAY 13 JANUARY AT 3PM GMT / 7AM PST.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 7, 2022

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Doing some instagram bullshit lets you hear a 30 second preview (different to the previously previewed audio), I have no loving clue how to because I’m not a zoomer but luckily someone recorded it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Muse/comments/rzos32/30_second_audio_of_wont_stand_down_if_you_try_out/

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I won’t go as far as some people are and say it sounds like Imagine Dragons. But the verse isn’t very good, the chorus does sound like something they’ve done before (I’m hearing Neutron Star Collision and something else), I am digging the hard breakdown though.

It’s totally normal for a band to not be in their prime anymore 20+ years into it, so I’m happy when I still really like an average of 3-4 songs per new album. Plus their live show is still so strong.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Song and video are cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d55ELY17CFM

However, I do wish it was a bit longer? If you heard the previews already, you've heard most of the song. There are some cool moments there that they could have made more of, and I think a longer mid-section and maybe a longer verse progression or something would have been great. Song will be awesome live I expect.

henpod fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 13, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lyrically it's kinda weak but it's just so god drat good otherwise i am a fan

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I did not like it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This song definitely sounds right. That's a good sign. It's a pretty proper band sound mixed with the electronic stuff. (Obviously I'm not expecting the true rawness of a scrappy '90s alt-rock band playing in the same room, and I'm okay with that.)

The album is going to live and die by the songwriting, if this song is an accurate representation. The song itself is middling, but it is a single, after all.

My biggest problem with the last album wasn't the sound of it, although I do think this sounds better. It was more just that they seemed to have run out of ideas. They managed to sustain my interest by applying a new coat of paint to the same signature Muse chord progressions... But for another truly great album, they'll need to really bring out the big songwriting guns too. We'll just have to see.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Worst part of this is the jarring transition from metal to synth sections. I think i get it and it tonally matches the mood of the lyrical subject matter, I think. It's just not working as music to me

Wanna hear Matt scream more

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I agree it will rock live and lol I loving love that bizarre music video.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Songs alright. Reminds me of Thought Contagion - it’s a nice rock sound but there’s not much of substance. No interesting bridge or guitar solo :sigh:

Riot Bimbo posted:

Worst part of this is the jarring transition from metal to synth sections. I think i get it and it tonally matches the mood of the lyrical subject matter, I think. It's just not working as music to me

Wanna hear Matt scream more

Yeah those transitions are weirdly abrupt. Makes me wonder if this is a radio edit and the album version will have a little more room to breathe.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
No album announcement makes me sad tho :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

Songs alright. Reminds me of Thought Contagion - it’s a nice rock sound but there’s not much of substance. No interesting bridge or guitar solo :sigh:

It sounded like one was starting during a build-up because you could hear another guitar come in (3:12) and begin hitting the notes of what sounded like was about to be a solo but then it stopped abruptly and went right back to that synth thing. I found the song enjoyable but that tease is really frustrating to hear because it sounds like the song is about to go off with those notes indicating he's about to go wild on the guitar.

I hope your radio edit theory is correct and that there's a longer version with said solo because if not I can't make sense of what they've done musically with the song. It's like they thought "Now would be the perfect time to let rip" and recorded the foundations to segue right into some noodling but then changed their minds and left the build up in there. That extra guitar makes no sense with the song as it is.

Goddammit Muse :argh:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
You guys put it better than me - it definitely feels like there were moments building to something, especially in the middle breakdown where it suddenly goes back to the chorus.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pretty much every time I hope a single is just a radio edit, I end up being disappointed. But it would be cool, I agree.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Not sure whether Muse smashing together Imagine Dragons and Soilwork is a work of genius or the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
These guys were so loving wicked in 2003 when I saw them in Auckland for the Absolution tour. Small venue, front row, extremely loud, met the band out back, got Origin of Symmetry signed.

Really the perfect concert experience.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Song gets better with each listen

I hate this agonising period where they haven’t announced the album date or the next single so we have literally no idea how long the wait will be. Hopefully just a few months at most. I’d love to be listening to it by like March

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I’m going to be in Europe in June and they happen to be playing some festivals. I’ve always wanted to see them at a stadium there, but won’t turn this down either. Seems like the Isle of Wight festival in England is the best candidate right now, kind of hoping a better option gets announced soon though.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
This is cool and makes me wish the proper song was mixed more like this. Especially in the chorus. This version sounds a little more raw and urgent, plus the little synth touches are more in the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1IuYFqH0U

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

It sounded like one was starting during a build-up because you could hear another guitar come in (3:12) and begin hitting the notes of what sounded like was about to be a solo but then it stopped abruptly and went right back to that synth thing. I found the song enjoyable but that tease is really frustrating to hear because it sounds like the song is about to go off with those notes indicating he's about to go wild on the guitar.

That part is weird because you can hear it more clearly in the instrumental what it was going for- while the guitar leaps up the bass drops out for a beat so it can subvert expectation and punch you unexpectedly on the third beat, but since its kinda half assed and there's no emphasis on the third beat it doesn't come off as deliberate and just sounds like a mistake like the bassist dropped a pick for a second or something.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My muse album hype is building again, I hope we get some news soon

In the meantime here’s a 3 hour concert film someone edited together from pro-shot and cellphone footage with a mix of audio sources that’s usually pretty great. It sounds good on my tv’s soundbar and subwoofer anyway. The film includes a version of every single song Muse played on the Simulation Theory tour, so the setlist is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3zesEyUgIY

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzHnwHzp9o4

New album is probably called The Will of the People

And that's probably the album art framed in a square ratio there at the end of that video

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope anyone else in this forum cares about track title anagrams

https://wontstanddown.muse.mu/api/v1/catalogue/new/

Most match up to the graffiti from the video

Number 10 could be "we are loving hosed" lmao

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hedrigall posted:

Number 10 could be "we are loving hosed" lmao

haha

code:

"explicit": true,

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
5 is The Great Reset

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hedrigall posted:

5 is The Great Reset

You know I thought something like that, but the anagram sites I've been using just didn't seem to be giving me that one for some reason.

Meanwhile, track 6 will pretty much crash any site you try it on.

Also, maybe "Rave On"?

Still having fun with track 10.
Cake Fucker Win Fudge
Face Fucker Nuked Wig
A Fucker loving Weed

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
For "an over" I was thinking Novera, idk why and I don't think it means anything but it's kind of a cool spacey word and could be an OoS- or Exogenesis-like space rock track 🤤

I think I'm thinking of Noveria from mass effect though

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That same link now has the actual track titles

1. Will Of The People
2. Compliance
3. Liberation
4. Won’t Stand Down
5. Ghosts (How Can I Move On)
6. You Make Me Feel Like It’s Halloween
7. Kill Or Be Killed
8. Verona
9. Euphoria
10. We Are loving hosed

I don't know what happened to The Great Reset

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also single #2 is Compliance, it's out on the 17th!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i'm pretty excited for more muse tbqh

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Compliance leaked - check Reddit

I haven't listened to it yet but descriptions I've read so far sound intriguing. If the Reddit discussion is to be believed it's like Dead Inside, The Dark Side and Easily hosed with Jump by Van Halen and the Knight Rider theme song :sickos:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i just heard it; better than won't stand down imo

prefer it when they rock more than they pop but it's not bad

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

okay i'm looping the song now

muse hasn't had a catchy tune, to my ear, for a while. Pressure kinda did it for me but shittt it was probably Resistance(the album) the last time they gave me an earworm I loop and groove on

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I listened finally, and I really like it, but again I really hope that middle part is longer on the album version because it sounds like it's about to turn into a fantastic solo then the chorus comes back again too soon

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Hedrigall posted:

I listened finally, and I really like it, but again I really hope that middle part is longer on the album version because it sounds like it's about to turn into a fantastic solo then the chorus comes back again too soon

They did something like that with Won't Stand Down. They had some good ideas that ended way too soon. We don't need 10-minute songs, but a little bit more wouldn't be bad.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I didn't check out the leak, but Compliance is available on streaming now and it's 4:11 whereas the video is 3:42.

Album release date is August 26, titled Will Of The People

E: Anyway, this song is pretty fun but I don't think it has staying power. Not enough unique moments to keep me coming back to it.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 17, 2022

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress yes, longer Compliance, I hope the synth solo is longer

August 26th is loving rough though. 5 more months, whyyyyy goddamn it

I'm going to be sick of the singles by then

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Some cool info I'm trawling from the Muse discord now:

Someone's notes from an interview Matt did:
* Matt says that the album goes "metal, all the way to pop, to my first version of an Adele song, piano like; then lots of electronic parts (?)"
* We are loving hosed: "best finale to the album, weirdest, darkest lost b-side of Muse's life"
* Matt makes a remark about fans that would like Muse make only "8 min prog nightmares"
* According to Matt, every song on WOTP is a best of every bit of Muse (best of metal, pop etc.)
* Track "Kill or be killed" according to Matt is "best metal prog number we have ever done; best track that could've been on Drones"
* Dom is the decision maker for WOTP apparently. That's why this album has taken two years for them. Matt prefers rushing things.
* Self produced.

Additional info:

The album’s title track “Will Of The People” brings playful provocation to a dystopian glam-rocker while there is an innocence and a purity to the nostalgic electronic textures of “Verona.” From the visceral thrill of “Won’t Stand Down,” to the industrial-tinged, granite heavy riffs of “Kill Or Be Killed,” or the lightning-bolt rush of “Euphoria,” the album concludes with the frenetic finale of the brutally honest “We Are loving hosed.”

The accompanying video, directed by Jeremi Durand and shot in Poland, was inspired by the film Looper and follows three children wearing masks destroying their future selves in order to escape a dystopian and oppressive world.

Key collaborators include mixing on eight tracks by the multiple Grammy Award winner Serban Ghenea; mixing from Dan Lancaster on “Won’t Stand Down,” and additional mixing on “Kill Or Be Killed” from Aleks von Korff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Track lengths:

Glad to see a duo of 5 minute songs.