Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP3zRBtgvJo

This is ... not what I expected. I don't hate it, but I think someone needs to have a short, sharp chat with Matt Bellamy about this Duran Duran obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMO3YNoNyTY

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

well why not posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP3zRBtgvJo

This is ... not what I expected. I don't hate it, but I think someone needs to have a short, sharp chat with Matt Bellamy about this Duran Duran obsession.

Make sure you listen to the 4:11 version on the streaming platforms for the fuller song

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I mean the song is fine, but it's just like someone programmed an algorithm to make a 'muse pop song' and that's the result.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

henpod posted:

They did something like that with Won't Stand Down. They had some good ideas that ended way too soon. We don't need 10-minute songs, but a little bit more wouldn't be bad.

I just listened to the new song and yeah, it's the same again. It makes the song frustrating to listen to when you hear a brief moment of awesome buried in something that is otherwise fairly by the numbers. Would love to direct/produce the band for the making of an album to get rid of the cheese and crank up the awesome. I know there's the running gag of them being a parody band now but still.

Riot Bimbo posted:

muse hasn't had a catchy tune, to my ear, for a while. Pressure kinda did it for me but shittt it was probably Resistance(the album) the last time they gave me an earworm I loop and groove on

The last one for me was Supremacy. It feels like it could have been a little better but was still a great song and I was surprised that it was never used for the opening of a Bond movie.

Apparently that was a decade ago?! Oh god I just remembered Survive as well, for the Olympics? Musically a complete banger but holy poo poo those lyrics wrecked it :(

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A few days in, Compliance is a total ear-worm for me, it's stupid catchy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SUNKOS posted:

Musically a complete banger but holy poo poo those lyrics wrecked it :(

in other words, Muse at its' purest

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

in other words, Muse at its' purest

I've gone Stockholm Syndrome about it and I love Matt's stupid rear end lyrics

give me that syrup *teaching childern to be mean*

I cut my teeth on big angry boys rhyming reason wih season give me more of that poo poo

*I WANT THE TROOF*

unghh yeah straight in my veins

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I could gently caress with break it to me all day

Holy poo poo that's a banger

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Third single Will Of The People is out June 1st

There's a leak already and people are loving it

I regret to report that it does contain the lyric "the will of the sheeple" however

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Goddamn y'all WOTP is crunchy, catchy and tight

It both bangs and slaps

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Unrelated related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_mb04IyDAo

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Goddamn y'all WOTP is crunchy, catchy and tight

It both bangs and slaps
I really don’t like it :smith:

HOWEVER, I am still about to travel to see them in Florence after Primavera. Praying for Citizen Erased, Space Dementia, and Assassin like the other recent gigs

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MClg7zpm6VQ

Dumb as poo poo lyrics

Dumb as poo poo music video

Fuckin catchy slapper of a song

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m fine with just the nice chunky riff repeating as a bridge in place of a guitar solo (although 3 singles in I’m beginning to worry about there being any solos on this album) but the end of the song really needs the chorus to repeat just one more time. The end is so abrupt

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

This, this is magical

How the gently caress did he stuff so many recognisable Muse-isms from so many eras of the band’s music into one Beatles cover

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
New song is...alright. Short, again - this album is going to be half an hour long at this rate.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Song is groovy

The music video has some really, really cool ideas in the design and aesthetics. The masks are rad, the coloring and mood are rad, the weird jank in the movements of the cgi people are really cool imo like it's cool as art

but narratively, thematically it's ball-stompingly stupid, insipid revolution-as-empty-commodity nonsense.

still really dig it

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

henpod posted:

New song is...alright. Short, again - this album is going to be half an hour long at this rate.

All the track times are known. The longest is Kill Or Be Killed at like 4:59. Whole album is 37 minutes. Kinda blows after a 4 year wait

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm definitely growing more pessimistic about this album. WOTP is only maybe slightly above the average song from Drones which is to say, not very good. It's a fun listen maybe once. There's just not much going on under the surface. Very clean, mechanical-sounding "rock" music.

Also I'm sure I'm not the first to figure this out, but it's very obviously reminiscent of "The Beautiful People" and doesn't really compare favorably to it, aside from presumably not being penned by a sex criminal. (Hope he doesn't sue and get a share of the royalties!)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Also I'm sure I'm not the first to figure this out, but it's very obviously reminiscent of "The Beautiful People" and doesn't really compare favorably to it, aside from presumably not being penned by a sex criminal. (Hope he doesn't sue and get a share of the royalties!)

Oh god now I can't unhear it.

Also Manson is a piece of poo poo but the people who wrote that song (some of whom are also pieces of poo poo) put a lot more effort and dynamics into the song than Muse did with this and it actually has a lot to it. WotP is already boring after one listen because it seems like Matt decided "I thought of a riff, that's good enough" and called it a day. It's really frustrating when you know how talented he is and what he's capable of.

I wish the producer or whoever would just sit the band down and be like "You've got the start of a song, not a finished song" and encourage them to spend more time on these tracks.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

WOTP is impressively stupid, and the video is even more so. "What if 1984 had a violent revolution and dune buggies?". You have to hand it to them, it's very endearing at this point. The song is fine, not really exciting, and it's missing a solo. It'll probably go insane live. There's no way those giant busts aren't going to the part of the stage show. I know they said the huge robot skeleton was "a bit much" but these dorks have never not revelled in excess.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

SUNKOS posted:

Oh god now I can't unhear it.

WotP is already boring after one listen because it seems like Matt decided "I thought of a riff, that's good enough" and called it a day. It's really frustrating when you know how talented he is and what he's capable of.

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't feel like listening to it again as there isn't much else to hear after the first few times.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Everyone's going nuts because they debuted Kill Or Be Killed live in Germany tonight and the response is overwhelmingly positive

I'm seeing "best song since Absolution" opinions everywhere. People are saying it's like Stockholm Syndrome mixed with Bliss and TSP and Glorious and more. The guitar solo is apparently fantastic

I have no idea how long I'll be able to hold out from listening, there's audio out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNsLifbyls

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 5, 2022

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I'm seeing "best song since Absolution" opinions everywhere. People are saying it's like Stockholm Syndrome mixed with Bliss and TSP and Glorious and more.
It’s way better than the other singles but that is pretty crazy fan talk. Great to see him shred though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

Everyone's going nuts because they debuted Kill Or Be Killed live in Germany tonight and the response is overwhelmingly positive

I'm seeing "best song since Absolution" opinions everywhere. People are saying it's like Stockholm Syndrome mixed with Bliss and TSP and Glorious and more. The guitar solo is apparently fantastic

I have no idea how long I'll be able to hold out from listening, there's audio out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNsLifbyls

This is a nuts riff, very impressive how he comes up with things like this. The rest of the song kinda reminds me of a better version of Blockades or Thought Contagion, harking back to 2000s era... then there's that breakdown and it's absolutely mental.

It is very "MUSE" in a way that's hard to explain. Everyone is raving saying it's like x meets y. Reapers + Dead Star! Citizen Erased and Bliss! City Of Delusion and Neutron Star Collision! They're all kinda right. It's like they pressed every MUSE button in their studio.

It's good, I like it, but it does feel a little like they wrote this after listening to their own greatest hits album.

well why not fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 6, 2022

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Well, it's a lot better than the title track.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't like it vOv

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Pro shot concert with KoBK, WotP, Compliance and WSD live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyCL1wybpa4

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

oh hell yeah, Placebo opening for Muse in Italy tonight

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Studio version of Kill or Be Killed officially releases in less than 12 hours

Leaked on twitter already though, it's great. Just lacks some of the screaminess. Chris's whisper screams in the live version are just Matt whispers in the studio version

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgyQufB1Yic

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it's a worse citizen erased :(

i don't even like regular citizen erased

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

great video, great song

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Riot Bimbo posted:

i don't even like regular citizen erased

:getout:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

its one of the more boring songs on oos lets fight about it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Man it's like... This song has everything a Muse song is supposed to have. But I just don't care.

I guess that leaves me in the same place the last album did. I'm not sure the band has anywhere left to go, because when they try something new it usually doesn't work, and when they stick to what they know it's just boring.

I do still think 2nd Law was underrated and hampered by the completely arbitrary-seeming track sequencing. There were some signs that they could expand into different things there. But that was also what, a decade ago at this point?

I could also complain about the drum production, but that's like every rock band for the last decade. I don't think that's the real issue here.

EDIT: Then again, I do still really like Pressure and Break It To Me from the last album. So it's still possible they could pull it off for a whole album. Just statistically unlikely.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 23, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ping-ponging between the various styles doesn't really work if you feel like you have to have a super heavy track and a funk song next to each other. Sequencing has been an issue with pretty much every album since Resistance.

Simulation Theory's worst parts is when they push the big MUSE button and printed out Blockades or Thought Contagion. At least The 2nd Law got it out of the way track 1 and then could just be weird. Drones has that terrible Aftermath song and a pretty weak back half. Could've just stayed heavy and been 30 minutes.

This next EP might do a better job of staying on brand, but we've got KOBK's metalcore trappings next to Matt doing Innuendo-era Queen on Compliance, so I guess ... wait and see.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

this song is the most egregious but i've noticed for a lot of this album's releases, they're kind of pastiching their own work, which is kind of a sign of decline to me.

Metallica started doing the same, like King Nothing is basically Enter Sandman, lyrics aside, but it got worse as time progressed, st. anger and lulu excepted. And those albums mostly show they don't know how to step outside of their zone anymore anyway.

To see it with Muse kinda sucks, but it was bound to happen eventually?

At least simulation theory felt like it had more that worked than didn't. I like a ton of songs off that album; so far this one isn't doing it for me really. Will Of The People and Compliance are just alright, Won't Stand Down and Kill Or Be Killed are straight up not good to me. Maybe the album will have songs I like? But so far it's pretty bad.

I feel like they had a really good run from Oos to Black Holes & Revelations, and The Resistance thru Simulation Theory had plenty to like as well. Right now though, this album straight up feels like a serious decline in quality so far.

Not about to stop loving Muse, but it feels like my appreciation of them is gonna be about what they've already done than what they're gonna be doing, going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pastiche is a good word for it. It's the musiest MUSE to ever MUSE. It honestly makes the hard rock stuff on Drones look even better, as it was - relatively - stripped down for them.

This is just more excessive and lacks the clarity of Reapers, The Handler or Dead Inside. I think we were expecting this record to be more straightforward after Simulation Theory was just so much, but I guess we're ramping it up again.