Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

well why not posted:

This is just more excessive and lacks the clarity of Reapers, The Handler or Dead Inside.

I still hold a grudge against the production of "Reapers", it's like it's so close to being a good song but I just hate how digital it sounds. "The Handler" is so good though. It actually goes somewhere, unlike a lot of the other newer songs. That bridge always does it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

KOBK has been stuck in my head and actually gotten better with further listens.

Riot Bimbo posted:

Will Of The People and Compliance are just alright, Won't Stand Down and Kill Or Be Killed are straight up not good to me.
Complete opposite for me. WotP has to be one of the top 3 worst songs they’ve made imo, and I was starting to really worry after those 2 singles.

quote:

Not about to stop loving Muse, but it feels like my appreciation of them is gonna be about what they've already done than what they're gonna be doing, going forward.
Kind of how I’ve felt ever since The Resistance came out like 13 years ago. But I really enjoyed Simulation Theory, and KOBK is already better than anything on The 2nd Law so I’ll take a couple great songs and a killer live show still in these later years.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

I still hold a grudge against the production of "Reapers", it's like it's so close to being a good song but I just hate how digital it sounds. "The Handler" is so good though. It actually goes somewhere, unlike a lot of the other newer songs. That bridge always does it for me.

This kind of sums up the Muse "problem" for me. They are very talented musicians and they can clearly still make excellent music, but for a while now every song I listen to has something that is frustrating in a "Why did they do that?" or "Why didn't they do that?" way. It's like they're always on the verge of greatness but something silly drags it down. The best way that I can describe it is feeling like they need someone in the studio that understands their strengths and weaknesses and steers the band in the right direction.

Take Compliance for example, as soon as that Knightrider synth part begins? On first listen it felt like it was building up to something but instead it just stopped and we got the chorus again. It was so disappointing. I was expecting Matt's guitar to come in playing the same notes on guitar and building up alongside the synth before going off on one of his solos to end the song. Would have been perfect. Instead the build-up came to an abrupt end and they just repeated the chorus.

Then there's Will of the People which would be so much better (and sound less like a Beautiful People copy) if they removed those "The will of the people!" chants. The song would sound great without them and again, just adding something in to mix it up and keep it interesting like some weird synths or some fancy bass playing and drumming while Matt's chugging away? It would be like a funkier twin to Supermassive Black Hole.

Kill or be Killed just reminds me of Matt talking about how the record company wanted a greatest hits album and he wanted to make an album that served as a greatest hits for the band but with new songs and every time I listen to this I imagine it being in the Stockholm Syndrome slot since it's basically an alternate version and I'm not gonna complain about that. I wish it wasn't quite so blatant but hey v:shobon:v

Anyways, at least it can't be as disappointing as the new Chili Peppers album.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SUNKOS posted:

it can't be as disappointing as the new Chili Peppers album.

I beg to differ, I expect every RHCP album to be unlistenable poo poo and I have never been disappointed

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
oh cool :gibs:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1553976587581792257?s=20&t=_uTuxLJkjOnZHigZwR27PA

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
God what loving garbage

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

Buyers will get a downloadable version of the album – complete with different sleeve – as high-res FLAC files; the members of Muse will digitally sign it and each of the 1,000 buyers will have their names permanently listed on the linked roster of purchasers.

JPGs and a row in a database, all yours for a reasonable price

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
*fast talking disclaimer voice* Music no different to regular album. Digital autographs worthless. JPEG available for free on Twitter. Database may not exist when Warner Media decides to cut its ICT budget by any percent at all two years from now.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It feels like everything about this album, including the NFT thing, must have been completed over a year ago and this extremely slow roll-out is just happening on autopilot, regardless of any recent developments.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Doesn't seem unreasonable, plenty of artists got stuff done during Covid since they couldn't tour or anything.

Was listening to 2nd Law again and had forgotten about Chris' two tracks but he has a good voice that compliments Matt's imo, would be interesting to hear a song or two where they both sing together.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The closest we have to a Chris-Matt duet is the "it could be wrong, could be wrong" call and response section between them in Resistance, which rules

I really like his 2 songs but he's just not comfortable singing main vocals live, so he's never done any since then. It would be cool if he still wanted to write some from time to time. Give us a break from Matt's usual lyrical topics of choice.

Apparently the new album's writing and production was driven a lot by Dom for once, so it'll be interesting to see how it's different than usual.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They did a huge disservice to Chris's songs on 2nd Law by making them the last 2 vocals on the whole album. Followed by 2 instrumentals. ARGH the sequencing is so bafflingly bad on that album.

Here's the revised version I came up with a while ago:

1. The 2nd Law: Unsustainable
  2. Supremacy
  3. Madness
  4. Panic Station
  5. Animals
  6. Survival (Prelude)
  7. Survival
  8. Explorers
  9. Save Me
  10. Liquid State
  11. Follow Me
  12. Big Freeze
  13. The 2nd Law: Isolated System

You'd be amazed how well "Big Freeze" works as the penultimate track. It actually feels like a pretty good climax.
"Liquid State" doesn't really have anywhere particularly good to go, but at least don't make it the last lyric on the album, geez.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I always thought the two 2nd Law pieces should have bookended the album. And yeah Unsustainable into Supremacy really works.

I think slot Liquid State right after Animals and you're golden.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I actually really like Animals into Survival because of the contrast, the unruly mob giving way to the pretty orchestral thing, which also casts Survival in the more ironic, pessimistic Darwinian light that I think is what they were going for?

Liquid State honestly just has no good place to go, thematically speaking... I don't hate the song, I just don't know what to do with it

It does prevent that portion of the tracklist from dragging though. Explorers -> Save Me -> the first half of Follow Me would threaten to get a bit sleepy

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 3, 2022

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

The closest we have to a Chris-Matt duet is the "it could be wrong, could be wrong" call and response section between them in Resistance, which rules

I really like his 2 songs but he's just not comfortable singing main vocals live, so he's never done any since then. It would be cool if he still wanted to write some from time to time. Give us a break from Matt's usual lyrical topics of choice.

Apparently the new album's writing and production was driven a lot by Dom for once, so it'll be interesting to see how it's different than usual.

I think it might be that he's one of those people that struggles with playing and singing at the same time perhaps? Have huge respect for people like Matt and Thom Yorke etc. who can play as they do yet still sing and sound fantastic. I would love some tracks that had them both singing together and complimenting each others style, even if they were studio-only and never performed live.

On the topic of Liquid State, I like it but found it a bit odd that since Matt wasn't providing any vocals and it was a heavy driven song, that he wasn't really wailing away on guitar since he could focus solely on playing. Still a good song but seemed like a bit of a missed opportunity for him to go really wild as well, especially given the heavy Queen influence on the album. Kinda wonder what Save Me would have sounded like with some backing vocals from Matt as well, just harmonizing with Chris, mainly based on his vocals for Follow Me and wondering "What if?" since it's kinda close.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Compliance is the only good song on their

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I’m just holding onto how Pressure, Thought Contagion, and Something Human(singles) were some of my least favorite songs from Simulation Theory. Loved a big chunk of the rest.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/muse/status/1562145145449062400

i regret to inform you that Bellamy has been left alone in the studio again

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Well, it's out there now. I like the album, but it's just a shame how short it feels, especially as we've heard nearly half of it before release. It's modern muse, we ain't getting exogenesis or map of problematique, but for what it is, it's good I guess. 36 minutes though...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

henpod posted:

Well, it's out there now. I like the album, but it's just a shame how short it feels, especially as we've heard nearly half of it before release. It's modern muse, we ain't getting exogenesis or map of problematique, but for what it is, it's good I guess. 36 minutes though...

at this point I'd settle for Algorithm/The Dark Side, but it doesn't seem like I'm gonna get it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Yeah this is a sizable step down from Simulation Theory for me. Don’t know if I rank it below The 2nd Law as their worst yet but I am not really feeling it :(

Kill Or Be Killed, Won’t Stand Down, and We Are loving hosed are the only ones I hope realistically stick to the setlist.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This is a goofy album, but Ghosts (How Can I Move On) is pretty striking.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

well why not posted:

https://twitter.com/muse/status/1562145145449062400

i regret to inform you that Bellamy has been left alone in the studio again
I was actually excited from this clip.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

WAFF is going to be a blast live. Just because its gonna be so fun to sing those awful/amazing muse lyrics in a huge crowd of people

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween is not even Muse it's loving Rockwell by way of Queen playing the Monster Mash but it's absolutely delightful and amazing

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Riot Bimbo posted:

You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween is not even Muse it's loving Rockwell by way of Queen playing the Monster Mash but it's absolutely delightful and amazing

Just got to this one and :stare:

It's a total WTF moment in the tracklist, in the best possible way.

It also generates a lot of goodwill towards "Kill Or Be Killed" right after it, which is still very much "Muse's Greatest Hits: The Song" but at that point it already feels like I'm at a Muse concert, so it goes down easier.

edit: Aaaaaand it's over. Y'know, during Verona and Euphoria I was actually starting to think this album might pull it off. I was really kind of digging it and excited to see where it would go for the final run of tracks. Then I realized the next song was WAFF and that's it. Kind of thematically appropriate I guess, but not sure it was in the way they intended. It doesn't feel built up to at all -- which I didn't necessarily want, since that's basically the sort of thing they tried to do on Drones and failed miserably.

I guess in summary, it was better than I expected. The run of tracks from Halloween through Euphoria is pretty solid. Still not sure how I feel about WAFF, that's kind of a hard one to swallow, but obviously that's also kind of the point.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 26, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

shitpost album

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

lmbo aside from Compliance and part of Won't Back Down (both of which would be side 2 tracks on a better Muse album) this is dogshit

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
First listen through track-by-track:

Will of the People: please please could someone other than Matt write lyrics, you're not Zack de la Rocha dude and you never ever will be (this can be repeated for every single track). Other than that its fine I guess, but I can't help but want to sing along "Will of the People" to "Beautiful People"

Compliance: It's like a Simulation Theory track that got left on the cutting room floor. It's not bad, but it's not really good enough to be on that album (which still makes it one of the better songs on this album)

Liberation: "Hi yeah, Matt? I've got Queen's lawyer on the line and he's not happy"

Won't Stand Down: If it wasn't for being an Imagine Dragons rip-off in the verses, this would actually be a really good track

Ghosts: I didn't need a Muse ballad with absolutely no energy. This is just a poo poo-tier Exogenesis

You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween: You know what, I don't hate this and this is the sort of weird different poo poo they should be doing, rather than just ripping off musical trends 5 years too late like WSD or the whole of Simulation Theory

it does get weirdly boring though, which shouldn't be possible with this setup

Kill or be Killed: The production loving sucks on this track - someone's EQd this horribly and it loses a lot of the punch (except, weirdly, the little guitar break in the middle of the verse?). Otherwise, this is classic Muse (it wouldn't be out of place on OOS and I think the comparisons to Citizen Erased are apt) and I imagine it'll loving wreck face live

Verona: There's a different tier of "classic" Muse song which I'll disparagingly call the "Guiding Light" tier. Please stop making this song.

Euphoria: Now, this I mostly like. It's got a decent amount of pep, love the arpeggios, it wouldn't be out of place on Absolution whatsoever. It's a little bit of a mess, but by this point in Muse's career I have pretty low standards

We Are loving hosed: Yeah this absolutely only exists to be enjoyed in a stadium gig with the crowd belting out the woah-oh-oh-oh and "gently caress OFF" bit. For something titled this, you kinda wish it went harder. Also, Queen are 100% suing by this point. Stop it.

OVERALL: This would be a Drones-tier album (which isn't high praise) but at least Drones went loving hard, so this is solidly the second worst album they've ever released. It's got the same issue that their worst (2nd Law) had, which is that it's not got a consistent sound and feels like a big old mess of styles (though not as much as 2nd Law did).

It really, really worries me that this album was produced by the band. I'd thought that perhaps in recent years they'd ended up getting producers on that wanted to make them sound like every other band, but apparently that rot is coming from within. They need to stop ripping off every loving trend - stop making Imagine Dragons songs, stop chasing the Vaporwave trend that you were already a half decade late to, I can almost forgive the Queen rip-offs because it almost fits but for the love of gently caress

just make a goddamn Muse album again please

(and take away Matt's lyric privileges forever)

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Meanwhile the Muse subreddit acting like it’s their greatest work ever

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Paperback Writer posted:

Meanwhile the Muse subreddit acting like it’s their greatest work ever

Yeah I stupidly read the replies to the tweet launching the album and I want whatever those folks are smoking

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

People parasocially invested in the band as like a part of their identity, bots, and paid posting imo

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I just think it’s kind of impressive they’re like 45 years old and a younger generation is into their post-BHAR albums more. Not a ton of fans from their actual good era have stuck around on their social media haha

The Bananana posted:

Ok, I have warmed up to the Halloween song.
Same. I’m drunk and just playing Won’t Stand Down/Halloween/Kill Or Be Killed/loving hosed really loud was pretty good.

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 27, 2022

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok, I have warmed up to the Halloween song.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

mfcrocker posted:

It really, really worries me that this album was produced by the band. I'd thought that perhaps in recent years they'd ended up getting producers on that wanted to make them sound like every other band, but apparently that rot is coming from within. They need to stop ripping off every loving trend - stop making Imagine Dragons songs, stop chasing the Vaporwave trend that you were already a half decade late to, I can almost forgive the Queen rip-offs because it almost fits but for the love of gently caress

just make a goddamn Muse album again please

(and take away Matt's lyric privileges forever)

This right here. This album is too clean in its production and too dry. I did not 100% realize they produced this themselves. Have they not figured out that some of their best recordings were live? Happy little mistakes make music better. Take away Matt's EQ and lyrics privileges, he needs to be in timeout.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's basically every rock band these days. It's unfortunate but most of them seem to prefer it this way. The records sound "good" but have absolutely no energy. The last Metallica record was like this too, it was incredibly distracting.

Ironically, I think someone mentioned Red Hot Chili Peppers earlier in the thread, and I have to say their last album was actually pretty fun to listen to because it was the actual sound of a band performing. I wouldn't say the songs were really all that good, there was a heck of a lot of fat that could've been trimmed. But it was kind of refreshing to hear something that wasn't chopped up and beat-matched and overdubbed to hell and back.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 27, 2022

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Wrong thread

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 27, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh gosh, I only just realized that "Verona" is about The 'Rona

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I read an interview with Matt and he said the producer left and went back home when everything was getting crazy in LA with the riots and Covid and wildfires and so he just continued in the studio while there was chaos outside and I find it utterly hilarious imagining people rioting in some fiery Mad Max hellscape and as they make their way past the studio they just hear the muffled sound of 'You Make Me Feel Like It's Halloween' and don't know what the gently caress so they just start smashing even more stuff.

Apparently the whole experience got Matt off his conspiracy poo poo as well and now he wants to move back to the UK (out the frying pan and into the fire?!) because he feels like he's lived the stuff he used to sing about and it was scary watching the neighborhood next to his home go up in flames or something. I saw a cool video interview with him earlier where he showed his home studio and it's literally designed to look like the Black Lodge from Twin Peaks which is hilarious to me.

As for the album I think half of it has the potential to be an absolute banger if the songs were changed (annoying parts removed, some cool stuff added) but then they'd still need to write and record a second half and it's once again annoying because it's easy to see the potential there but they have whiffed it. Surprised it's so short as well considering he had the perfect excuse to be holed up in his home studio but I think he just had a daughter and married some supermodel so was probably banging non-stop and can't blame the guy to be honest but still.

mfcrocker posted:

We Are loving hosed: Yeah this absolutely only exists to be enjoyed in a stadium gig with the crowd belting out the woah-oh-oh-oh and "gently caress OFF" bit.

In the video interview I mentioned above Matt said he writes every song with the mindset of how it will sound live, so you're right there. I think he actually highlighted this track as an example of that. Apparently the annoying "The will of the people!" chants are all family members as well because of Covid, he just got them all to record themselves chanting it which is kinda funny but man I'd love access to his computer to just erase that from the song entirely. Ever since it was mentioned I can't un-hear Beautiful People and think about how much more dynamic that song is with so much more going on in comparison. The chugging guitar sound is almost identical to Beautiful People as well so it has to be deliberate, I just don't get why he wouldn't try to make something better rather than worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, so the Halloween song is the only thing on this album that isn't just mediocre or outright suck lmao

If I could beg Muse to go in any direction it would be to just make albums of weird goofy poo poo like this and not whatever the rest of this album is