Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My AI confession is the only actual car work I've done are oil changes, a couple track days and autoX, and a tear down in an old SBC. My only current vehicle is a truck. And what is want to augment it is either another coyote S550 mustang or a model 3 AWD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My AI confessions:

I genuinely enjoy all aspects of the F&F franchise and will strongly defend and uphold Tokyo Drift as one of the best films of the franchise.

I also occasionally wonder if I should have plunked down all the money I spent on the M3 in a more responsible way like paying down the mortgage more or investing it all.

Tokyo Drift is the best one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It was 2006, and I was camping out as #1 in the Best Buy parking lot for a Wii. An old high school buddy had offered to buy me one if I would drive him the 2 hours to Spokane and if we could sleep in my car. Best Buy let us drive our car up to our spot and let it idle to sleep in at night. It was the 2nd night, the following morning was launch day.

#2 in line were some students, a little older than us (probably university), all of them were and spoke Japanese. They had two cars to sleep in, import models done up with neon and body kits and lights and huge almost-bosozoku exhaust stacks, one orange and one lime green, both in candy colors with decals down the sides, with the blue-tinted "10000k" headlights.

One of the cars had a sunroof, and they set up a projector on the roof of the car pointed at the front wall of the best buy, with some computer speakers or something hooked up to it, and they watched a bootleg DVD/videoCD of Tokyo Drift twice in a row. At the time, it was the funniest goddamned thing I've ever seen.

Anyway that's the story of how I watched a F&F movie.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The original fast and furious is point break with cars instead of surfing. Doesn't mean I don't love both.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There was a guy who admitted in a GBS thread that he hosed his dog or something when he was younger, and whenever you called him out on it he bought you an avatar of...dogs loving. My avatar history has one (right click and view image, then decrement the numbers in the filename. Have to do it individually for different filetypes png/gif/jpg).

JFC how the hell was he not permabanned?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

money I spent on the M3 in a more responsible way like paying down the mortgage more or investing it all.
Nonsense, you did invest it - you'll remember that S65 until the day you die whereas mortgages are extremely dull and commonplace.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It was 2006, and I was camping out as #1 in the Best Buy parking lot for a Wii. An old high school buddy had offered to buy me one if I would drive him the 2 hours to Spokane and if we could sleep in my car. Best Buy let us drive our car up to our spot and let it idle to sleep in at night. It was the 2nd night, the following morning was launch day.

#2 in line were some students, a little older than us (probably university), all of them were and spoke Japanese. They had two cars to sleep in, import models done up with neon and body kits and lights and huge almost-bosozoku exhaust stacks, one orange and one lime green, both in candy colors with decals down the sides, with the blue-tinted "10000k" headlights.

One of the cars had a sunroof, and they set up a projector on the roof of the car pointed at the front wall of the best buy, with some computer speakers or something hooked up to it, and they watched a bootleg DVD/videoCD of Tokyo Drift twice in a row. At the time, it was the funniest goddamned thing I've ever seen.

Anyway that's the story of how I watched a F&F movie.

This reminds me of waiting to see the Phantom Menace. Some nerds brought an RV and set up a tv to watch the original trilogy while waiting for the new film. And then when the news showed up they got super embarassed about it.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I specifically watch only f&f one and Tokyo drift. I've seen two and four and they just don't scratch the itch like the others. Give me less plot and more solving problems with improbable racing thank you.

Fairweather poster checking in, where do I get my name badge?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fast 5 is my favorite one. I love how loving bonkers it got. Six is also great and yeah, Walker's death gave me the feels. Seven is a bit of a mess but the cast alone is worth the ticket.

We realized tonight that we're going up a tax bracket. I suddenly have opinions on adult things.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I've seen the first three f&f films and then one of the later ones maybe 6 idk. They're boring. I think the main problem is car chase scenes in most films are really dull actually and I can't think of a single good car chase off the top.of my head. I remember watching spectre(?) the one with the db10 and the jag f-type and it was completely devoid of any suspense or exhilaration or whatever. I think this probably comes from watching too many car.videos of actual people doing things 9000 times more ridiculous

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fridge corn posted:

I've seen the first three f&f films and then one of the later ones maybe 6 idk. They're boring. I think the main problem is car chase scenes in most films are really dull actually and I can't think of a single good car chase off the top.of my head. I remember watching spectre(?) the one with the db10 and the jag f-type and it was completely devoid of any suspense or exhilaration or whatever. I think this probably comes from watching too many car.videos of actual people doing things 9000 times more ridiculous

People always hold up Ronin as the best car chase and it's great but Vin Diesel loving flies in Fast Six.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

I want a car with integrated dash cam (front and rear cams) that is integrated into the infotainment system and you can sync the videos to your phone with ease.

Anybody doing that?

COME ON GUYS I NEED THIS

Also I can't access the video from my SD card and I followed a truck that had PORK CHOP EXPRESS on the back and I just want to watch it and smile.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

COME ON GUYS I NEED THIS

Also I can't access the video from my SD card and I followed a truck that had PORK CHOP EXPRESS on the back and I just want to watch it and smile.

I don't know of any car that comes fitted with integrated dash cams, only parking assist cameras :shrug:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

People always hold up Ronin as the best car chase and it's great but Vin Diesel loving flies in Fast Six.

Ronin's drat good, but Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) will always be special to me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ronin's drat good, but Gone in 60 Seconds (1974) will always be special to me.

The original Gone in 60 is some of the craziest car chase stuff, especially hen you dig into the backstory of how they made it. Plus a few of the actual stunt mistakes made it into the movie for the realism feel - like the lightpole being KOed on the freeway. And also the bystanders? Real. They had no idea a film was being made and thye thought it was a real chase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The car chases in the GI60 remake are kind of lame but the film is fun otherwise.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Driving the Vic down to Austin from Dallas this coming Wednesday

"Business". We still on at the Austin version of Cole Manor? :wmwink:

oh wait that wasn't supposed to be public was it

Darchangel posted:

I hate *having* to work on a car, especially with a deadline. I like working on projects that I *want* to do. This is pretty much what I answer when people ask me why I didn't become a mechanic. It would make me hate cars. See: the cobbler's shoes, the mechanic's car, my home computer setup (I'm a PC toucher,) etc.

God, this. I used to love working on cars, and wanted to be a mechanic at one point.

These days.... I do it because I don't want to pay someone $300 to do something I can do myself for $50. Especially now that I have a DIY shop almost in my backyard* (okay, fine, it's near Round Rock, so a good 20 minute drive, but my patio faces that way...ish!). I just do it to keep my heap running affordably. I'm making a lot more money here than I did in DFW, and my cost of living has gone down a little (only because I'm splitting bills with someone - rent's a bit higher here, and I don't live in a deregulated area, so I pay 12c/kwh whether I like it or not), but that just means I'm no longer begging/borrowing between paydays. Gas is also a little cheaper here on average. So is beer. :getin:

As for my home PC, ehhh... I used to take a lot of pride in it. Windowed case, sleeved cables, etc. It's still a lot neater than most systems, but it's pretty messy at the moment. But I did a rushed system rebuild this week when I was gifted a very kind person's old MB/CPU/RAM (which was a huge upgrade for me.. back to a K CPU and Sandy Bridge :woop:)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Exactly the reason I drive Toyota appliances

GF has a base model Matrix. So base that all it has is AC, CD player, and floor mats.

It's.... not bad for what it is - it handles shockingly well for an "CUV" (I'm sorry, it's just a loving Corolla wagon to me, but she swears up and down it's a CUV, and apparently it was marketed as such too) and moves decent enough if you wind it up a bit. I really want to add cruise to it (and apparently it's plug and play on her year model), since it's become our road trip car. She doesn't trust cruise. :corsair: Driving to/from New Orleans from Austin seemed a lot longer without (a) cruise and (b) aux input on the stereo.

It's needed one repair in its life - clutch. How you burn a clutch out at 80k when you're the original owner is beyond me, but, uh.. yeah.

angryrobots posted:

My confession is that as time goes on, the less "AI" I have become. Absurdly, my AI-ness has an inverse relationship with my expanding mechanical ability and budget. :shrug:

Same. I drive one of the most boring cars on earth, but so long as it doesn't require dropping the subframe, I'm pretty confident in most repairs I may have to do.

Clutch job on the Saturn is a subframe out job. I've done 1 clutch job on my own, and had someone walk me through my first one, and know I could tackle it... if I could just get to it. :argh:

the spyder posted:

Just spent the last of my fun-employment money on insurance for the Datsun and White FD. New job starts Tuesday. Question is what should I drive? :D

Which one is louder? :getin:

Rhyno posted:

I want a car with integrated dash cam (front and rear cams) that is integrated into the infotainment system and you can sync the videos to your phone with ease.

Anybody doing that?

GM's as close as you're gonna get. The current Corvette has an optional camera + telemetry overlay, but it's something you have to turn on manually IIRC. Possibly on the Camaro ZL1 as well? It's saved onto an SD card. It's meant for track days.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 1, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If we're doing car films and confessions, I adore the Speed Racer movie. I don't know what people were expecting from it but it seems their expectations spoiled their enjoyment of what was a supremely silly, wonderfully creative, fun movie. The part where the movie's villain explains his motives and it's basically how our world works was ...............unexpectedly brilliant in a 'kids' movie.

That final race too :aaa: It's one for big screen and big sound and I watch it once a year without fail because it's glorious.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

my computer toucher confession is i don't even own a pc and do all my interneting on my phone

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tokyo Drift is the best one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So you guys remember me bitching (sorta) about my weird as gently caress electric plan? Where if I used <1000 kWh, my rate more than doubled? And if I went over 1500, it really went fucknuts?

New place: I'm on the middle floor, with a newish AC, and the place isn't much bigger (~50 sq ft difference). We're also very conscious about bumping the AC to ~78 when we leave. Built in 2004.

Old place: Top floor, brand new HVAC while I lived there, but pretty much zero insulation. Fireplace, so that just added a giant hole for the cold air to escape, and the dryer "vent" was literally a big hole in the wall to tape the exhaust hose to. Kept it at ~68 the last few months I lived there, always invited friends over to do laundry to drive up my energy use to get the $100 discount for using between 1000-1499 kWh, and barely broke 1000 kWh every month this year (but had to keep it at ~50 for much of december to stay under the 1500 kWh cap where my bill would jump from 4c/kWh to 22c/kWh - I walked in at 1498 kWh for December :cripes: - thanks to the loving water heater sitting on in an uninsulated closet on my patio). Built in 1983. FWIW, I was using >2500 kWh/mo before they replaced the HVAC, but they'd also eventually jammed a 50 amp breaker in for an AC rated for a 20 amp breaker (which tripped the main breaker)... loving amazing that building hasn't burned down yet. 2 other buildings at that property have burned down in the past few years, though.

I just got my first full month's bill at the new place. 1022 kWh for 800 sq ft. Not only am I on a middle floor, but I have a newer AC (uh, well, it's not the original unit anyway...), brand new fridge, all of the lighting except for the bathroom is LED, and we're very conservative with the AC (plus have ceiling fans). I did notice outside that I have one of two mechanical meters for my building, so I'm going to ask them to check the meter. We do have a garage, but it's detached, and power is provided by another building (no meters for the garages either).

If I have to actively struggle to use this much power in a building that's old enough to have 34 year old children, I shouldn't be passively using this much power in a building that's barely old enough to have children in high school. :colbert:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Starting the month with holiday shifts ... DAY shifts. 7a-5p today anynd the next two days. Sitting at a Dunkin' Donuts. Why? Their donuts haven't arrived yet. The manager is actually driving to a nearby store to get them for me, having offered to drop them off at the ED if I have to get to work first. I don't think any DD in the country has ever offered this level of service.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Not an automotive confession, but I turn 32 a week from tomorrow and it will have been over 12 years since I was last in a serious relationship.

I'm starting to get old and lonely. :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If it helps, I just turned 40. I hadn't been in a serious relationship since 2005 until this year.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
On the other hand I own my dream vehicle and am not beholden to anyone, except for my still extremely controlling parents. Well, I'm not actually beholden to them, they just act like it.

E: At least they're gonna start snowbirding in a year so for 6 months of the year from there on out I won't have to live in fear. I haven't even told them about my speeding ticket because I don't want to get a 30 minute lecture or hear the hysterical "NOOOO!" from my mother who has the heaviest right foot in the entire family. It won't matter that I went almost 17 years without a ticket or that I've got the best driving record out of all of us.

EE: The way they act is one of many reasons I am terrified of sharing my life with someone, nobody should have to deal with what I deal with.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 1, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

If it helps, I just turned 40. I hadn't been in a serious relationship since 2005 until this year.

Yeah and you switched sides!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

Yeah and you switched sides!

Can't limit oneself or you end up like me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Can't limit oneself or you end up like me.

Don't rush out to buy lip balm if you don't want to - are you actually doing anything to meet people apart from work and post?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I thought I had seen the entire range of roundabouts during my driving career but over the past 2 weeks I have found this one and it makes me go "WTF" every single time.

Not a map fuckup - it actually does work as shown

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I thought I had seen the entire range of roundabouts during my driving career but over the past 2 weeks I have found this one and it makes me go "WTF" every single time.

Not a map fuckup - it actually does work as shown

Wait...what?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

spog posted:

Don't rush out to buy lip balm if you don't want to - are you actually doing anything to meet people apart from work and post?

I stopped looking a long time ago. The complaint is less that I'm not meeting people and more that I'm gonna be 32 very soon and am still not doing anything about my problems.

E: I got nobody to blame for my problems except myself, I am well aware that I'm the goon in the well. I stopped digging, but ain't doing any climbing either.

EE: As for human contact in general, outside of work I don't really have any. After I changed jobs I reached out to my friends from my old job a few times but nobody ever replies and I'm sick and tired of always being the person who has to reach out to others. I used to get invited out by them, but now it's like I've been all but shunned.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 1, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

I stopped looking a long time ago. The complaint is less that I'm not meeting people and more that I'm gonna be 32 very soon and am still not doing anything about my problems.

Fermented Tinal posted:

EE: The way they act is one of many reasons I am terrified of sharing my life with someone, nobody should have to deal with what I deal with.

Oh, is that it?
Good god man, that's nothing to worry about. Half the people in the world in happy relationships hate their inlaws.

There's a reason that mother-in-law jokes exist.

It's only going to affect any relationship of yours if you think the sun shines you of your parents asses and won't hear a bad word against them

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

my september confession is that I lurk FYAD :goofy:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Same

I even got a message about it!

:cheers:

epic bird guy posted:

currently fixing my broken saab and attaching a hard line vacuum hose connector behind and underneath the intake manifold :toot:

After this I'm done buying aftermarket parts that have o-rings. I've been happy with a lot of the Proparts Sweden products but they invariably use orings that are too thick, making it impossible to reattach the part. I ended up taking the orings out of the old one and putting them in the new.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Wait...what?

Yep. Its a roundabout all on one level and with 2 junctions in :psyduck:.

As a bonus you can travel that route either as indicated or by using the roundabout in the traditional fashion and slipping onto the M602

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

spog posted:

Oh, is that it?
Good god man, that's nothing to worry about. Half the people in the world in happy relationships hate their inlaws.

There's a reason that mother-in-law jokes exist.

It's only going to affect any relationship of yours if you think the sun shines you of your parents asses and won't hear a bad word against them

Okay, let me give you an example, I have 6 20' long cedar poles that have been sitting in my back yard for a couple years. I had plans for them that never materialized, I'm presently trying to sell/give them away and my dad has said I have until my birthday before he just comes over, cuts them up, and throws them in his burn pile. If I tell him that's theft and I'll have him charged if he does it, he'll do it anyways and make sure I know how ungrateful I am for all the help he gives me and if I make good on the threat he'll make my life a living hell.

Another example, my 1988 hilux is in their barn, and hasn't been touched in a long time because it's taken so long to get work done on the cruiser. I have everything necessary to finish the hilux and actually want to put the suspension back together this fall so it'll be a rolling chassis again and can be moved to somewhere I'll have the ability to actually work on finishing it. I would not put it past him at all to scrap it without my consent or knowledge and to act like he's helping me and if I raise a stink about it they'll just make life harder for me out of spite. Reality is, nothing would make him happier than for me to give up on both the cruiser and the hilux and to scrap them.

They also act like mental illness is a personal failing and that my going to therapy is an insult to their parenting.

They also almost ruined my brother's marriage because they meddle so heavily in both of our lives, to the point where his wife kicked him out after 6 months in until he realized he was choosing them over her and that wasn't what he wanted. Now several years later he keeps them at arm's length and his relationship with his wife has improved dramatically.

E: there were a lot of edits

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 1, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I literally live in fear of the reprisals for me standing up for myself wrt my parents because they absolutely have the ability to make life impossibly hard for me since they're my only real support base. Most of this is motivated by my alcoholic mother who thinks I can't take care of myself. I gave up trying to stand up for myself because it only makes things worse for me. Any forward progress I make is just taken away from me.

E: Also if you're wondering why I don't just outright tell them this poo poo, don't worry, my dad has google alerts set for all my online usernames and AI isn't behind the paywall, he's probably already read these posts.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 1, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

I literally live in fear of the reprisals for me standing up for myself wrt my parents because they absolutely have the ability to make life impossibly hard for me since they're my only real support base. Most of this is motivated by my alcoholic mother who thinks I can't take care of myself. I gave up trying to stand up for myself because it only makes things worse for me. Any forward progress I make is just taken away from me.

E: Also if you're wondering why I don't just outright tell them this poo poo, don't worry, my dad has google alerts set for all my online usernames and AI isn't behind the paywall, he's probably already read these posts.

What the gently caress. Your parents are like a miniature cult.

Hey FT's dad - leave his fuckin cedar poles alone you weirdo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Fermented Tinal posted:

E: I got nobody to blame for my problems except myself, I am well aware that I'm the goon in the well. I stopped digging, but ain't doing any climbing either.

EE: As for human contact in general, outside of work I don't really have any. After I changed jobs I reached out to my friends from my old job a few times but nobody ever replies and I'm sick and tired of always being the person who has to reach out to others. I used to get invited out by them, but now it's like I've been all but shunned.
Go find some social hobbies or events. Doesn't need to be dating oriented, just find some social interaction. Game night, adult sports league, something on meetup.com .

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

Your dad is a hosed up weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This got heavy. Therapy sounds like the right call and putting some distance from them might not hurt either. Sounds quite toxic of a relationship.

• Locked thread