Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

slidebite posted:

Couple ways to look at this. Is your hot water electric? What are their consumptions? AC and electric hot water are power monsters, even new ones. Certainly better than older stuff but they're not exactly low draw in any universe. Side note, pet peeve of mine when we were house shopping and how many new build spec houses were electric hot water. When I asked the builders why they'd use that instead of gas the reply was "cheaper" :haw: - yeah, for who and how long? Certainly not cheaper for the home owner.

Something else you can consider tryng is kill all the power in your apartment for say, an hour or two. Your fridge will be fine as long as you aren't opening it. See if your power meter moves at all. If so, you've got a problem with consumption on your meter that isn't yours.

Check your fridge temp. Mine got set too low after the maintenance guy messed with it, and it almost doubled my power usage for a couple months while I figured out what the gently caress was causing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

uhh...that's not how tax brackets work...only the earnings you make over that threshold to the next bracket are taxed at that higher rate

Progressive taxation is one of those things that everyone needs to be taught and noone is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

There is no loving way in this world that an 8 year old should be driving an ATV, much less with a passenger (and I've got a LOT of time in a first-gen Polaris Ranger... even THAT is enough to get you more than over your head... as an experienced driver). That's just profound negligence on the parent's part. Doesn't change the fact that it's a profound loss. :(

We had a grown-rear end man roll a Polaris on one of our worksites last year. They can be squirrely.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm a fatty fat gently caress too. This is my computer chair, or at least the successor to my chair - sixteen years and I haven't broke a damned thing on the previous model. Buy stuff designed for your size, and it'll be as durable as normal stuff is for normal people.

Truth, with the exception of shoes. Being a big dude is hell on the heels of boots.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fender Anarchist posted:

I think that's typically how sainthood works, yes

Yeah, at least for Catholics, you have to be dead and they can't even formally begin the process until five years after death without a waiver from the Pope. (Pope John Paul II did so for Saint Teresa, and Pope Benedict did so for Pope John Paul II himself)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Just work your way through their whisk(e)y shelf.

If you're not a fan of whiskey straight, order an old fashioned. It's just whiskey (bourbon or rye for preference), a little sugar, bitters, and usually an orange twist.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Awesome, anything you grow yourself seems to automatically be ten times nicer.

There's actually a shameful science to this.

The vast majority of supermarket apples are, in fact, cultivars selected first for shipping durability, then for good looks. Flavor is a far, far distant third. You can grow apples that are -so much better-.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

Apparently the Browns are a real team and not just a poop joke, and also apparently they are so bad they broke their losing streak by not winning (a tie) and Reddit is losing its collective poo poo over that.

Let me be clear, my lack of enthusiasm is not a general disdain for sports (sports can be cool and good). It's for the NFL and their slave ownership contracts, lobbying, hyper-conservative-bootlicking, politics, and lack of respect for humans and basic human rights.

Agreed.

T20 cricket's still on, though, so I'm set.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Big Bash is only a few months away.

Have to figure out if I can get it in the states. Been watching the CPL for a few years now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

everdave posted:

Missing so many 10s and 13s

So what were y’all doing 17 years ago? A lot of my friends went and signed up that day. Some didn’t come back. One apparently cried until they let him out (hey he went and signed up that’s More than I did). One drove a tank and apparently got exposed to some
Chemical weapons and died of cancer a few years ago.

Working nights and drinking days, same as now.

The forever war our government started on the backs of the poor people who died that day broke most of my friends in one way or another, and buried a few. Meat for the grinder seasoned with hollow patriotism.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Especially when you do all the work yourself and it takes you years to complete, and then some idiot ruins it within seconds.

I try not to be too attached to cars for that reason, the more work you put into them the more personal it becomes :(

This is why I drive beaters. As long as it's mechanically sound, it doesn't need to be pretty to gofast.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Memento posted:

You couldn't tell them "hey I need a new set of plates, the front one fell off after I hit a deer and I couldn't find it afterwards", meanwhile having the front plate pinned up in your garage?

Don't even elaborate 'Here's the back plate, think the front one fell off' is good enough.

I'm hoping someday I can get away with running the old plates from my Dad's car on a restored version, because they're bad rear end and have been on my wall for 25 years.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have a coworker that paid sticker for a Turbo Veloster 2 years ago. He convinced his grandmother to pay of the $25k in debt he owed on the car on the condition that he quit smoking.

Next day he shows up to work with a murdered out Miata NC smoking a cigarette...

Found out later that the day after his Grandmother paid off the Veloster he sold it at CARMAX for $10k and then bought the NC off Craigslist for $7k.

I can't look the kid in the eye anymore like what the gently caress. AND he didn't even really try to quit smoking.

What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dagen H posted:

Well yes, but I still (naively) expected higher education to be a secular domain, with religious schools being the outlier. The mail we've received has been split roughly 60/40.

Consider for a moment that degrees have become necessary for middle class jobs, yet Deeply Conservative families don't want little Billy and Susie exposed to other viewpoints in the process of getting one, and you'll see why there are so many religiously endowed schools.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Hot take: working rules

It does, but I can't wait to retire so I can go back to baking for a living without having to live on what they pay a baker.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Sentence 1: Technological changes to the workplace are a-coming
Sentence 2: But gently caress this one party for telling me to maybe get prepared for it

It's not even that. It's that the solution of 'learn this skillset' doesn't scale to the sheer number of jobs automation will take over. We, as a society, don't actually have a use for 20%+ of the population programming professionally.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Going to be weird when coding is all automated but plumbers aren't.

The building trades are going to be the last bastion of holdouts, honestly. It'd take really good general purpose AI to be able to make sense of the non-euclidean poo poo fountains that some DIYers have hacked on top of 100 year old plumbing stacks.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Maybe beer should be $5/bottle to offset the burden placed on the system by alcoholics too, then.

I got no problem chipping in a couple extra bucks, but of that $13.50/pack I was paying, over $10 was tax and there's no guarantee that 100%, or even 10% of that tax went to OHIP.

At least by the US numbers, beer's already got an excise tax of 6 cents (MO) to $1.29 (TN) per 12oz bottle depending on state. That's not including any local taxes. Given the costs to make it are somewhere south of fifty cents a gallon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm okay with more taxes. Especially if it means a better infrastructure, better education system and better health care. Also, if it means getting assistance to the people that need it, even if there is a bit of grifting... because a lot of people grifting the system out of a couple thousand to live is a heck of a lot better than the 1% grifting the system out of billions.

There is no number of consumers grifting the system that can scratch how much my health insurer profits yearly while denying people care. BCBS posted a $1.3B profit in 2017.

The difference between theft and corporate profits is a matter of scale.

• Locked thread