Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bruno is back to casting on stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Sky revealed! Let's do this #pureblue

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Pure blue seems too weak to survive the first three turns.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

Pure blue seems too weak to survive the first three turns.

The premade decks perhaps but I see a lot of low level spells that I could use with Luna or Zeus. Time will tell but I plan to go as far as possible with pure blue ( probably as far as the dumpster)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Groovelord Neato posted:

they should add all the artifact heroes to dota.

They named all the neutral creeps. The orange ogre is Keefe.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
"less RNG," but I am seeing 3 different points of RNG in the game: Your card draw, creep generation and placement, and the shop. It might be that they're pretty tightly bounded RNG but it looks like a lot of factors outside of your control - you can't even build a shop list.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

You can build a shop list, the one in the middle at least. It says "Item Deck 9/9"

Card draw is always going to be the biggest rng factor

The creep placement and the directional arrow is the one that worries me however

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Impermanent posted:

"less RNG," but I am seeing 3 different points of RNG in the game: Your card draw, creep generation and placement, and the shop. It might be that they're pretty tightly bounded RNG but it looks like a lot of factors outside of your control - you can't even build a shop list.

Yeah this was before more details were released lol. I’m gonna update the OP soon.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Impermanent posted:

You might as well remove "your card draw" from this list - that's in every card game. And someone already corrected you on the shop list. The others seems to add a little RNG but everything I'm seeing shows it to be somewhat minimal and you can play around it. I'm more excited to see the 150-170 cards we haven't seen so far.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I’m a touch worried about the RNG too. What are the odds on the arrow/path deck? I think I heard 2/3 chance for straight, 1/6th for left or right but I dunno if that’s accurate. The secret shop is potentially very swingy too - there was a game on stream earlier where the guy got an item that makes all subsequent secret shop items free and that seems... pretty good. He lost but he was bad anyway.

Also uh. Yeah, If someone has a key I’ll blow you for it I guess?

E: sorry I should be more general. I will put my mouth on your genitals regardless of their specific distribution and arrangement. This offer is entirely optional.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 3, 2018

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I have never seen a card game look quite as dependant on tempo to win. You could have all the card advantage in the world and still lose if you don't have a good early game.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

I’m a touch worried about the RNG too. What are the odds on the arrow/path deck? I think I heard 2/3 chance for straight, 1/6th for left or right but I dunno if that’s accurate.

It's 25/50/25 according to fwosh at least.

Also there is clearly a fair bit of RNG built into Artifact. If you want a game with completely deterministic outcomes, this isn't it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

I’m a touch worried about the RNG too. What are the odds on the arrow/path deck? I think I heard 2/3 chance for straight, 1/6th for left or right but I dunno if that’s accurate. The secret shop is potentially very swingy too - there was a game on stream earlier where the guy got an item that makes all subsequent secret shop items free and that seems... pretty good. He lost but he was bad anyway.

Also uh. Yeah, If someone has a key I’ll blow you for it I guess?

E: sorry I should be more general. I will put my mouth on your genitals regardless of their specific distribution and arrangement. This offer is entirely optional.

https://youtu.be/yebqetiISz0

My man Richard Garfield goes in on RNG in detail in this interview

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I always thought the arrow odds are equal, but depend on how many enemies there are. The arrow will always go straight if there's an enemy unit directly opposite.

A unit with left and right enemy neighbours but no enemy directly opposite will roll 1/3 for Left Enemy, Tower, and Right Enemy.

If there's 1 enemy to the right and no other enemies on board, then the arrow will roll 2/3 for Tower (since there's nothing left and straight) and 1/3 to the Right Enemy.

fake edit: the Artifact music is pretty dope

Actual edit: Nope I was wrong. It's 25-50-25 odds.

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 7, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apparently the line at PAX to play this has been pretty extreme. I think you get a key though if you do get in.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently the line at PAX to play this has been pretty extreme. I think you get a key though if you do get in.

They were capping the line 90 mins out and would aggressively tell folks to stay away when it was capped. When it opened up, they would only allow maybe 10 people at a time and had security enforce the "no getting in line for getting in line" policy really aggressively. The line was also a 2 hour wait because they only had maybe 20 computers up and everyone got to play one game against AI before you entered the bracket.

So yeah, the whole situation was ridiculous. I tried for three days in a row and never got a shot at even approaching the queue.

Smash Ultimate was fun though :unsmith:

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

they should add all the artifact heroes to dota.

ya boy j'muy is too powerful to be contained to one game for sure

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
J'muy is forest troll priest.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Been following this for a while, it's really cool.

Hope they do something bigger about beta keys before I go slumming through ebay for one.

One thing I've noticed is that the games seem to be oddly quick. Once you ramp to 7 mana the game is essentially ready to end, and only one game I saw actually made it to 10 mana...

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Could be the premade decks favoring agro too much. Or people not knowing how to properly shut down agro

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don’t think there’s ever been a card game where these sorts of preview decks are representative of what’s Actually Good so I don’t think too many conclusions can be drawn. Their purpose is just to be fairly easy to pick up and learn some of the basic game mechanics from.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I mean hell we haven't seen the majority of the heroes and their powers either. Hopefully people who get into the beta can shed more light into it, assuming that the NDAs by then are a nonissue

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Blue has like three spells that deal with creep's position. All of them less cost than 4 Mana. This game has tools to deal with rng.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

boredsatellite posted:

I mean hell we haven't seen the majority of the heroes and their powers either. Hopefully people who get into the beta can shed more light into it, assuming that the NDAs by then are a nonissue

NDA still going right now (but you can talk about pax stuff) but should be lifted once the beta is up on October since it’s gonna be a lot more people in it (ti + pax people + whoever else gets into beta)

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played Artifact at PAX today and I loved it. Got red/green deck playing against green/black and lost one round before I had lethal to kill my opponent’s ancient.

I really can’t wait for the beta now, I’ve been thinking and talking about this game all day since. :sigh:

GCValentine
Oct 25, 2007
Important Event
Are there any archives of the streams available? I have been looking around but couldn't find any.

e: Looks like there are videos of the matches on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOZzx0wBLgJGYFnaYDrUGMQ/videos

GCValentine fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 3, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

NeuroticLich posted:

I played Artifact at PAX today and I loved it. Got red/green deck playing against green/black and lost one round before I had lethal to kill my opponent’s ancient.

I really can’t wait for the beta now, I’ve been thinking and talking about this game all day since. :sigh:

I think this is one of the biggest things right here. Everyone that has played this game is over the moon for it. I think that says something.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Impermanent posted:

People seem to use RNG as a curse word but it's a large factor in making strategy games hard and exciting. Being able to know the exact order of your deck, for example, would simplify decision-making a shitload. On the other hand, calculating the chances of drawing each kind of card and weighing them against your options requires a lot of memorization and intuitive math skills. Admittedly, putting too much RNG in a game or failing to disclose the odds has the opposite effect, but the people who want to take RNG out of games entirely are typically brainlets

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 3, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I like hearthstone but the wacky rng always turned me off a bit since I grew up playing magic. After seeing Garfield was involved I was hopeful but it seems very rng based. I will still play it since I love dota stuff.

I like a little randomness, that's why I play card games and not chess. Hopefully this will lie on the good end of the spectrum and not the 'flip a coin each time you play a card' which the hearthstone meta has been before.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

RNG is fine up until the point you add stuff like Brawl, Yogg-Saron, Dr Boom or Ragnaros from hearthstone. Extremely powerful effects that are entirely RNG based and can swing the game state one way or the other just by the flip of a coin.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af7W3U54izg

poo poo like this whole video shouldn't happen lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB1A_tSsDiM

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 3, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kild posted:

RNG is fine up until the point you add stuff like Brawl, Yogg-Saron, Dr Boom or Ragnaros from hearthstone. Extremely powerful effects that are entirely RNG based and can swing the game state one way or the other just by the flip of a coin.

Right. Brawl is terrible for that.

Most (all?) of the board clears in magic are much more symmetrical. All creatures die. You each pick one and keep it. The strongest survives, etc. You can use it to get an advantage but it's not like a percentage roll to win or lose usually.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Yeah RNG is good when done appropriately. In a sense having a ton of RNG that will roughly balance out is better than having one or two huge pivotal moments deciding games (like the coinflip in Gwent. Low RNG my rear end). Still - we're all gonna lose games of Artifact to things outside our control. I honestly think it's best to internalise that now before it catches us by surprise.

Also I'm legit at 11/10 hype for this. I dunno which of my buttons Valve are pushing or how but it's working. I'm glad I won't have to spend >$100 on a beta key because I'm pretty sure I'd eventually have caved in and done it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

King Pawn posted:

Still - we're all gonna lose games of Artifact to things outside our control. I honestly think it's best to internalise that now before it catches us by surprise.

Yep. I'm girding myself for my first 'I lost because the lane arrow went the wrong way on a pivotal play.' It will be even worse when I know I have tools in the deck to deal with it but I didn't happen to draw them. During play getting arrow-screwed might turn out common enough that it's barely a speedbump, though.

I'm also very excited to spend.. I dunno, 50 bucks or so to get a cuter imp than my opponent. When's Shagbark?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I was a bit down on the model until I heard that you're guaranteed at least one rare per pack and there is no rarity tier above that. It should hopefully mean that no card ever becomes prohibitively expensive.

I do wonder how they'll handle nerfs though. In hesrthstone if you craft a card and it gets nerfed you can disenchant it for full dust value, but in this if they nerf a card that you just got by buying it from another player you're going to feel pretty lovely.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I like hearthstone but the wacky rng always turned me off a bit since I grew up playing magic. After seeing Garfield was involved I was hopeful but it seems very rng based. I will still play it since I love dota stuff.

I like a little randomness, that's why I play card games and not chess. Hopefully this will lie on the good end of the spectrum and not the 'flip a coin each time you play a card' which the hearthstone meta has been before.

The randomness for the creep attacks definitely seems a bit weird at first glance (25-50-25 for attack directions). I do think the game looks neat though and I'm up for trying it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mainwaring posted:

I was a bit down on the model until I heard that you're guaranteed at least one rare per pack and there is no rarity tier above that. It should hopefully mean that no card ever becomes prohibitively expensive.

I do wonder how they'll handle nerfs though. In hesrthstone if you craft a card and it gets nerfed you can disenchant it for full dust value, but in this if they nerf a card that you just got by buying it from another player you're going to feel pretty lovely.

That’s true, but it really depends on how they handle giving out packs. If you’ve largely got to pay, the game will be a non-starter for me.

Also, is this going to be on iOS? Because that platform is perfect for online CCGs.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
packs are 10 cards 1 guaranteed rare for 2 dollars. and ios/android launch sometime next year is what they said. also gabe newell basically said they are very against giving away things for free because it leads to depreciation of asset value over time or whatever so its probably going to be that you have to buy every thing forever

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

violent sex idiot posted:

packs are 10 cards 1 guaranteed rare for 2 dollars. and ios/android launch sometime next year is what they said. also gabe newell basically said they are very against giving away things for free because it leads to depreciation of asset value over time or whatever so its probably going to be that you have to buy every thing forever

Yeah that pretty much kills my interest completely.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

^^
I hope he just means cards. Give me something for playing well, even if it’s just cosmetics.

Does this have actual text chat? I’m pretty sick of only being able to emote in these kinds of games

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I think there'll be some sort of free play at some point. $20 to buy in, then more for more packs and expansions . . .

I don't think that can stick. For a year, sure, but at some point this goes free to play. Because M:TG numbers of players would be a failure for Valve.