Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Peter Dutton has been accused of misleading parliament over the au pair visa saga.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/aug/31/peter-dutton-accused-of-misleading-parliament-over-au-pair-visa-saga posted:

On 27 March, Greens MP Adam Bandt asked Dutton in question time to categorically rule out “any personal connection or any other relationship between you and the intended employer of either of the au pairs.”

Dutton responded: “The answer is yes.”

On Thursday, Guardian Australia revealed Dutton saved an Italian au pair from deportation, who was due to work for a former Queensland police colleague.

Dutton went on to say in his answer to parliament: “I haven’t received any personal benefit. I don’t know these people. They haven’t worked for me. They haven’t worked for my wife. I repeated all of that yesterday, and I repeat it again today.”

Dutton was a police officer from 1990 until 1999 before being elected to federal parliament in 2001. In 1997 Dutton and the family’s father completed a surveillance course together and were pictured in a group photograph.

Bandt believes Dutton has some explaining to do.

“On the face of it, Peter Dutton may have misled Parliament when answering my question,” Bandt told the Guardian Australia.

“Given reports suggesting he has a personal connection with the employer of an au pair, he urgently needs to explain himself. If he can’t, he has no business being a minister.”

Labor immigration spokesman Shayne Neumann said if Dutton knows the intended employer of one of these au pairs, Peter Dutton has clearly misled Parliament.

“This entire situation stinks and it’s time Peter Dutton comes clean immediately. If he doesn’t, Scott Morrison needs to step in and clean up his minister’s mess,” he told Guardian Australia.

On morning radio on Friday, Dutton insisted he had not been in contact with the policeman for decades and the case was considered on its merits.

“I wouldn’t have spoken to that individual for 20 years. I didn’t speak to him in relation to this matter. He raised it with my office,” Dutton told 2GB radio on Friday morning.

“I apply the law equally.”

He characterised his intervention as “a commonsense approach”.

Asked if somebody was leaking the details to harm him, Dutton said: “It’s a good question. I suspect all will be revealed at some stage.”

The prime minister, Scott Morrison, defended Dutton’s use of ministerial intervention during a press conference in Jakarta on his first official overseas visit.

“I made hundreds if not thousands of decisions as minister for immigration, it would not be unusual to do that,” he told reporters.

Morrison said Dutton had “assured” him the cases were considered on merit.

“They are difficult decisions, they are personal decisions, human decisions,” he said.

He described the huge pile of folders immigration ministers must consider.

“Every single one of those is a life, and every decision you make on that affects those lives and all the lives of people around them,” he said

“You don’t make those decisions in a rush ... you make them carefully and in a considered way.”

When asked this week if the Italian au pair was intending to work for his family, the policeman told Guardian Australia: “Not confirming, not denying. Just talk to Peter Dutton’s office. It’s well above my call as to what to say.

“If you want to talk to Matt Stock at Peter Dutton’s office, feel free.”

Guardian Australia understands Matt Stock is a former Brisbane detective sergeant, who now works for the Australian Border Force as an acting commander and has had a liaison role with Dutton’s office.

Last month we rebranded the Greens and managed to :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: our way through August. Now we have a new Prime Minister! He likes sports and caps.

What wacky antics will the Liberals get up to this month? And what's the bloody go with those Au Pairs?!

Go the Sharks. Yeeeeeew.

PM WhoMo

bell jar fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
not even a picture of our daggy dad pm in the op, voted sharks.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

According to the poll the new name for the greens is Stalin.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bad poster, bad thread. Gas.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Who do I have to email to get special permission for someone to come into the thread on a lurking visa and look after my posts while I’m earning shitloads of cash and not paying them?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

bad poster, bad thread. Gas.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I suppose quality OPs are a thing of the past. I personally welcome our new agile and innovative OP.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
From last thread:

Zenithe posted:

QLD: Best state?

As of the start of next year, TAFE is free for any year 12 graduate

https://training.qld.gov.au/home/freetafe

I would have thought it better targeted at those who have completed year 10, but this is still a step in the right direction.

QLD Labor: TAFE is now free

*single finger on monkey paw curls in*

QLD Labor: But we've knocked them all down and replaced them with blocks of flats

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Victoria did that on a courses fulfilling needs basis that I think is open to anyone. Better state.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

A neighbour has a Rhodesia veterans sticker and a home made "I proudly served in Rhodesia" sign on the back of their car. They also let their dog wander around to poo poo up the place.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

A neighbour has a Rhodesia veterans sticker and a home made "I proudly served in Rhodesia" sign on the back of their car. They also let their dog wander around to poo poo up the place.

any car with that sticker on it should be on fire

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Heres a picture of our tasteless PM who we didn't expect. Add it to OP.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
These events put the lie to the big myth around the challenge: that it somehow took its own organisers by surprise. Those who backed Dutton now object to being called “plotters” and deny they were up to anything before Turnbull took the biggest gamble of his political career: calling a surprise vote on his own leadership when Liberals assembled on Tuesday, August 21, for a regular meeting.

The failure of the Dutton campaign has left its architects denying it was their own work. Asked on Tuesday about what happened the week before, Victorian Liberal Michael Sukkar told Sky News said this: “All of us, including me, went into last week thinking it would be a perhaps lively but unexceptional week in Parliament, in all honesty.”

South Australian MP Tony Pasin, who also backed Dutton, told Sky News this week that he turned up expecting “business as usual” in Parliament on the day before the spill.

It is an astonishing claim – to expect an “unexceptional” week after days of coverage of the leadership question, not least a front page story in the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age saying 'Dutton set to strike' because his supporters claimed to hold a majority in the party room.

Yet this is the core argument now being made to excuse the shambolic coup: that the Dutton camp were not organising until Turnbull called the vote on the Tuesday.

“There’s a lot of rewriting of history going on,” says one Liberal.

Another is more blunt: “It’s complete bullshit.”

Says a third: “The idea they hit Tuesday from a standing start is fanciful.”

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Amoeba102 posted:

So why haven't you keyed it/slashed their tires yet?

Ora Tzo posted:

Hey now, Colin Baker doesn't deserve that

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 1, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Cormann urged colleagues to sign the petition, as did conservative Liberal Senator James Paterson and Victorian MP Jason Wood. Hastie did the same. There were five different sheets of paper and various members of the Dutton side put the case to their friends.

The astonishing development was the lack of progress. By Thursday evening, some estimated there were fewer than 25 names on the petition – a subject of dispute given there were five sheets of paper in different hands.

The response was disbelief that the Dutton campaign could be so incompetent. “That was the moment we realised what was happening – that they were all lying,” says one MP. The numbers for Dutton were not there. The misinformation campaign had worked but there had been a failure to lock in the numbers.

Labor MPs who know how to mount a spill are amazed that Dutton campaigners headed to dinner on Thursday night rather than sweat over a spreadsheet full of names. Ciobo and Keenan dined at the upmarket Ottoman restaurant. Sukkar, Taylor, Hastie, Pasin and Seselja gathered over a Japanese meal. They were counting their teriyaki chicken too soon.

The petition only gained a majority because it was signed by MPs who had no intention of voting for Dutton. The crucial factor was the decision by Morrison to enter the contest, which in turn followed the fateful meeting with the Prime Minister on Thursday morning when Cormann had withdrawn his support.

This is why the recriminations will never end. The Dutton supporters stand condemned by some for lying about their numbers and unleashing havoc at the top of the Australian government. And for what? It is extraordinary that senior Victorian Liberals like Hunt and Sukkar sided with Dutton when polling showed Turnbull had stronger support in their own state.

Sometimes the most intriguing aspect of a spill is what does not happen. At no point did a group of cabinet ministers gather in a courtyard to stare down Dutton. Just as his silence spoke volumes on the Friday, so did theirs the following week.

Turnbull only needed three more people to stand by him to win the Friday ballot, but the Dutton campaign would have kept going. “They had so damaged him there was no coming back,” says one MP.

It is easier to wreck than rebuild in Australian politics. The nonchalant claims from ministers that they can all move on, that the public has no interesting in “tea-leaf gazing” over the spill, is a glaring false confidence about their ability to unify their party.

This may be the biggest myth of all from the spill: the idea that Morrison can “heal the wounds” in time for the election.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/joshbutler/status/1035723278495535104?s=21

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
it brings me so much joy that turnbull's son hates him

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
If you've got a better OP, do you launch a thread challenge?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://mobile.twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1035683311308308480

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Ora Tzo posted:

If you've got a better OP, do you launch a thread challenge?

:justpost:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
OP updated.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also Latham has quit the Lib Dems, maybe for One Nation.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
I have launched my thread challenge.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867506

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Lol at everything in this

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...e66b0a74297a59f

Channelling the bra burning protests of feminists in the 1960s, the six men discussed whether burning their undergarments was an appropriate response to a “ridiculous” awareness-raising stunt by Russian student Anna Dovgalyuk, who flashed her pants at commuters to raise awareness for “upskirting” laws in her homeland.
Some suggested a necktie might be more appropriate, but nevertheless, the idea was warmly received and put on the backburner for discussion at a later date. There was an update on their next big upcoming event on International Men’s Day although it was announced, regrettably, that they had only sold 18 tickets.
They then proposed taking legal action against the student union, which had called them “neo-Nazis” in pamphlets leading up to Saturday’s march.
Being associated with the far-right is taken as offensive by some in the group, which claims to welcome Aussies of all political strains. Some even claimed to have centre-left ideals.

MRS member Alan Ward told news.com.au that, if men’s rights were “continually eroded”, Australia would be plunged into “civil war” because our economy would be destroyed by policies that “incentivise single parenting”.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

There’s the issue of the gender pay gap, which even MRS members admitted was a problem (albeit arguing men should be “compensated” because they have shorter life expectancies).

That's a new one.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Lid posted:

Channelling the bra burning protests of feminists in the 1960s, the six men discussed whether burning their undergarments was an appropriate response to a “ridiculous” awareness-raising stunt by Russian student Anna Dovgalyuk, who flashed her pants at commuters to raise awareness for “upskirting” laws in her homeland.
Some suggested a necktie might be more appropriate, but nevertheless, the idea was warmly received and put on the backburner for discussion at a later date. There was an update on their next big upcoming event on International Men’s Day although it was announced, regrettably, that they had only sold 18 tickets.
They then proposed taking legal action against the student union, which had called them “neo-Nazis” in pamphlets leading up to Saturday’s march.
Being associated with the far-right is taken as offensive by some in the group, which claims to welcome Aussies of all political strains. Some even claimed to have centre-left ideals.

MRS member Alan Ward told news.com.au that, if men’s rights were “continually eroded”, Australia would be plunged into “civil war” because our economy would be destroyed by policies that “incentivise single parenting”.

They're gonna burn neckties?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'd like to assure the OP that my support is behind this candidate thread, and it has the numbers

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

This is my Auspol September thread

awkward shoulder hug

And I'm ambitious for it

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
First in first serve.

Your king has spoken.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Do you know who your OP is this morning?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The scomo of threads.

The dad thread.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

First in first serve.

Your king has spoken.
Republic now.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

First in first serve.

Your king has spoken.

Well may we say "God save the King", because nothing will save Anime Dave!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

We don't have the numbers. We can't risk a thread :auspol:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

that other thread was very duttonesque. i look forward to another thread popping up on tuesday

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

bell jar posted:

that other thread was very duttonesque. i look forward to another thread popping up on tuesday

I must say I support OP, in spite of what happened in the past, and I hope he will serve us well till the next month.

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 1, 2018

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Lid posted:

There is exactly one thing that incentivises single parenting and it is the other parent. No financial support is as good as taking a poo poo in peace. No surpriss some would rather spend 24/7 no breaks parenting than deal with manchild MRA nonsense.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Ora Tzo posted:

He IS the Prime Minister. Whether you like it... or not.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ora Tzo posted:

I must say I support OP, in spite of what happened in the past, and I hope he will serve us well till the next month.

I liked your OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

in a concilliatory gesture i have added this to the op

• Locked thread