Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Supporters of right-wing politics are prettier, more confident and satisfied than those on the left, conservative commentator Daisy Cousens has told a libertarian conference in Brisbane on Saturday.

Ms Cousens pointed to research, including one study published in the Journal of Public Economics, which found a link between right-wing politicians and good looks.

Researchers found good-looking people were more likely to earn more and wealthier people tended to oppose redistributive government policies.

They also said attractive people might receive better treatment than other people in society and therefore saw the world as more just.

Ms Cousens, speaking at LibertyFest at Royal on the Park, said the “leftie researchers” came to those conclusions because they were “annoyed because their side is the ugly side of politics”.

“They’re like, oh well, fine then, that’s because you’re evil, that’s why you’re prettier than me,” she said.

A male audience member had claimed feminists were “generally pretty unattractive”, including their personalities, and said “no man is ever going to touch them”, before asking for Ms Cousens’ opinion.

Ms Cousens said people on the right were on average more attractive because they were more confident.

“Particularly the women, and have a much more grounded sense of self, and are not afraid to let men be men and women be women,” she said.

“And if you have a really great sense of self-satisfaction and you’re not feeling like you’re constantly struggling and you’re happy to acknowledge the differences between people, well of course you’re going to have a nicer personality because you’re going to be happier.”

Ms Cousens said there was a complex among feminists that equated unattractive personalities to unattractive looks, although not always.

“It’s a confidence issue and it’s a lack of kind of self-groundedness and self-satisfaction,” she said.

Ms Cousens also took aim at what she described as the “identity politics oppression Olympics”.

She said there was a “victimology scale” where straight white males were at the bottom, while black women, trans and gay people had more “victim points”.

"Those at top of the scale are granted the loudest voice and allowed to express themselves in whatever way they want," she said.

"So they can be as crass, as bitchy, as bigoted and as spiteful as they choose.

"But because they have accrued the most victim points, nobody is allowed to reprimand them."

Ms Cousens said people at the bottom of the scale were condemned to sit in silence while they were bullied and unable to defend themselves against a barrage of hatred for simply existing in the wrong form.

She said straight white men were used as a scapegoat.

“The modern left still thinks we’re in the '90s, they still think white men are the absolute most advantageous people ever and that we’re still fighting against the Christian right, they have this thing on about Christians,” she said.

But what about Caleb Bond?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pride cometh before a fall, Daisy, Proverbs, 16:18

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
You know I reckon half of all the people who read Daisy and Caleb op eds are posters in this thread.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
^Murder Australia

Don Dongington posted:

You know I reckon half of all the people who read Daisy and Caleb op eds are posters in this thread.

The other half are Boonta Vista listeners.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

make sure to number all the boxes!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Barnaby Joyce’s bookshelf has 4 copies of his own autobiography as well as 120 days of sodom

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

A lot of the comments are "Yes" so hopefully there's more people saying yes they're just not too bright

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fairly opinionated but backed up overview of the Vic Libs CFA anti-union campaign, and the predictably shocking role of complicit media. The author is worried it will figure again in this years state election but perhaps I'm not that plugged in, I hadn't noticed any major attempt to get the issue running again, since at least April when the "secret deal" stuff was tried again. That's some fantasy of the Herald Sun being repeated (like many of its other assertions) without any apparent investigation and certainly no attribution by Fairfax, the ABC etc.

Although there was one thing that just might have tipped the balance: in August, it was reported that the UFU had won its case against MFESB in July for contravening their enterprise agreement. The MFESB were ordered to pay $25k to the UFU. Not much joy there to "create" another issue. Perhaps the memory of Michaelia Cash and her incompetence has not faded from the voters minds, we can only hope.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Anidav posted:

Ms Cousens pointed to research, including one study published in the Journal of Public Economics, which found a link between right-wing politicians and good looks.

????

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ewe2 posted:

Fairly opinionated but backed up overview of the Vic Libs CFA anti-union campaign, and the predictably shocking role of complicit media. The author is worried it will figure again in this years state election but perhaps I'm not that plugged in, I hadn't noticed any major attempt to get the issue running again, since at least April when the "secret deal" stuff was tried again. That's some fantasy of the Herald Sun being repeated (like many of its other assertions) without any apparent investigation and certainly no attribution by Fairfax, the ABC etc.

Although there was one thing that just might have tipped the balance: in August, it was reported that the UFU had won its case against MFESB in July for contravening their enterprise agreement. The MFESB were ordered to pay $25k to the UFU. Not much joy there to "create" another issue. Perhaps the memory of Michaelia Cash and her incompetence has not faded from the voters minds, we can only hope.

It really depends how the campaign ads sell it. The average person has no loving clue what the whole thing was about.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
More shadow, more shadow.

You know what, just turn the lights off.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Anidav posted:

Supporters of right-wing politics are prettier, more confident and satisfied than those on the left, conservative commentator Daisy Cousens has told a libertarian conference in Brisbane on Saturday.

Researchers found good-looking people were more likely to earn more and wealthier people tended to oppose redistributive government policies.

They also said attractive people might receive better treatment than other people in society and therefore saw the world as more just.

Ms Cousens, speaking at LibertyFest at Royal on the Park, said the “leftie researchers” came to those conclusions because they were “annoyed because their side is the ugly side of politics”.

“They’re like, oh well, fine then, that’s because you’re evil, that’s why you’re prettier than me,” she said.

A male audience member had claimed feminists were “generally pretty unattractive”, including their personalities, and said “no man is ever going to touch them”, before asking for Ms Cousens’ opinion.

Ms Cousens said people on the right were on average more attractive because they were more confident.

“Particularly the women, and have a much more grounded sense of self, and are not afraid to let men be men and women be women,” she said.

“And if you have a really great sense of self-satisfaction and you’re not feeling like you’re constantly struggling and you’re happy to acknowledge the differences between people, well of course you’re going to have a nicer personality because you’re going to be happier.”

Ms Cousens said there was a complex among feminists that equated unattractive personalities to unattractive looks, although not always.

“It’s a confidence issue and it’s a lack of kind of self-groundedness and self-satisfaction,” she said.

Ms Cousens also took aim at what she described as the “identity politics oppression Olympics”.

She said there was a “victimology scale” where straight white males were at the bottom, while black women, trans and gay people had more “victim points”.

"Those at top of the scale are granted the loudest voice and allowed to express themselves in whatever way they want," she said.

"So they can be as crass, as bitchy, as bigoted and as spiteful as they choose.

"But because they have accrued the most victim points, nobody is allowed to reprimand them."

Ms Cousens said people at the bottom of the scale were condemned to sit in silence while they were bullied and unable to defend themselves against a barrage of hatred for simply existing in the wrong form.

She said straight white men were used as a scapegoat.

“The modern left still thinks we’re in the '90s, they still think white men are the absolute most advantageous people ever and that we’re still fighting against the Christian right, they have this thing on about Christians,” she said.

https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/1045924007403388931

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

ewe2 posted:

The EBA had a five day hearing at Fair Work in late August or early September. There was input from the Federal Minister for Deregulation and Small Business and the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.

Not sure how many other industries get that sort of attention. But that probably has something to do with almost 100% union membership within the MFB.

We’re still waiting on an EBA, 8 years since our last one.

And just another reminder that state Labor MP Jane Garrett attempted to engage in union busting. I remember when she was seen as a rising ALP star about 4-5 years ago, and now she’s irrelevant. It’s beautiful to watch.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Dude McAwesome posted:

And just another reminder that state Labor MP Jane Garrett attempted to engage in union busting. I remember when she was seen as a rising ALP star about 4-5 years ago, and now she’s irrelevant. It’s beautiful to watch.

This sort of thing and "right-wing union leader" blow my mind. The party is called Labor you fuckers

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"Oh man, I can't wait to push all my neoliberal ideas now that I'm a Labor member.

Wait, you want me to represent workers?!?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"Oh man, I can't wait to push all my neoliberal ideas now that I'm a Labor member.

Wait, you want me to represent workers?!?"

This is pretty much the path nearly every centre-left(-once-upon-a-time)/neoliberal party has gone down across Europe and the US, and incidentally they are all losing against enroaching fascists while utterly failing to promote policies anyone actually wants.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

snoremac posted:

More shadow, more shadow.

You know what, just turn the lights off.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
whoa holy poo poo

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

Imagine the thankless task of staring down your own parties neolibs as well as the Liberal fucks. The mind truly boggles that a fake issue concerning a vital safety organization was somehow a better idea than managing real issues at a time when we were already worried that no lessons were learned from the last disaster. As bushfire season and another election approaches, it's a timely reminder.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

ABC 24 had an unabashed Republican wonk on this morning defending Kavanaugh and trashing Avenatti for "defending hookers"

Burn down the ABC, it's beyond saving

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

RENTERS could be free to have pets, hang photos and force shoddy landlords to do urgent repairs in the biggest shake-up to tenancy laws in 40 years.

A State Government-led review comes as forecasts predict the number of people living in Queensland rental properties will soar to more than 2.1 million within the next decade.

The review will also move to better protect property owners from destructive tenants.

Open Doors to Renting Reform will launch this week with a consultation of renters, landlords and real estate agents.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said all Queenslanders deserved a safe, secure and sustainable home, while many relied on property investments to secure their financial future.

“My Government wants Queensland to have contemporary residential tenancy laws that protect tenants and property owners alike and improve stability in the rental market,” she said. “The last full-scale review and changes to the tenancy regulations dates back to the 1970s. It’s well and truly time for another now.”

Queensland has one of the highest proportions of rentals in Australia, with more than a third of all households renting.

Housing Minister Mick de Brenni said it was vital that tenants enjoyed a decent standard of living and that landlords had well-managed properties.

“Many tenants have raised with me that it is difficult to hang your kids’ school photos or paintings on the wall in rental properties,” he said.

“Australians have one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world, however only 10 per cent of rental properties have pets living in them.

“How can we make it easier for landlords and tenants to agree on having a pet?”

Mr de Brenni said property owners had also raised concerns, with many saying rental bonds rarely covered the cost of property damage.

“Property owners have raised with me that they want to see regular inspections to properties and for repairs to be addressed more quickly to ensure their investments are protected,” he said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The comments section is calling this communism by the way.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Anidav posted:

The comments section is people self identifying as needing to be put up against a wall

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I am kinda enjoying the courier mail comments section because I can see the same people pop up again and again outraged by LABAH so then I always reply telling them WE'RE COMING BACK

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

Well Victoria had just done it so yeah, it sort of is for qld

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

It's called RENTING!

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This sort of thing and "right-wing union leader" blow my mind. The party is called Labor you fuckers

Hahahaha, yep. It’s bonkers. I struggle to understand the time and effort someone would go to in order to rise up in the party before going “oh yeah, this worker’s party for the workers? Too much focus on the workers. Someone really needs to be thinking about management”

ewe2 posted:

Imagine the thankless task of staring down your own parties neolibs as well as the Liberal fucks. The mind truly boggles that a fake issue concerning a vital safety organization was somehow a better idea than managing real issues at a time when we were already worried that no lessons were learned from the last disaster. As bushfire season and another election approaches, it's a timely reminder.

Yeah, it’s crazy. Right now there are real issues in the fire service (staffing levels, equipment issues, training concerns, a huge cohort of workers retiring in the next 5 years) and it all boils down in The Hun to “bad man union boss”.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

hambeet posted:

It's called RENTING!

I didn’t BUY this UNINSULATED SHITBOX back in the 1980s for $80,000 only to rent it out to UNGRATEFUL MILLENIALS for $700 a week so they have SOMEWHERE TO LIVE.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dude McAwesome posted:

I didn’t BUY this UNINSULATED SHITBOX back in the 1980s for $80,000 only to rent it out to UNGRATEFUL MILLENIALS for $700 a week so they have SOMEWHERE TO LIVE.

$80,000 in the 80s got you a three bedroom house with all the mod cons.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

$80,000 in the 80s got you a three bedroom house with all the mod cons.
but it was still uninsulated

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
ALP fixed that remember.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Room to Let
5 mins from station
unfurnished double bedroom
Occupant must be dead on arrival or at least not have any limbs capable of touching my picture hooks
$2000 a week call Maurice for deets

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dude McAwesome posted:

Hahahaha, yep. It’s bonkers. I struggle to understand the time and effort someone would go to in order to rise up in the party before going “oh yeah, this worker’s party for the workers? Too much focus on the workers. Someone really needs to be thinking about management”

It's almost as insane as someone who would study to join the priesthood, see their religion's focus on charity work and say, "We really need to be brutalising the poor more."

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My old landlord would fill his businesses bins up and then bring his recycling and garbage around to our house to fill up ours.

We had a house of 8 so it was rarely ever empty enough to accomodate it.

He also would let himself in whenever he pleased and filled up the 4 car garage with a second hand kitchen because "you guys all park outside anyway" (because he locked the garage doors and didn't leave the keys to the roller door so access was from the house only)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Laserface posted:

My old landlord would fill his businesses bins up and then bring his recycling and garbage around to our house to fill up ours.

We had a house of 8 so it was rarely ever empty enough to accomodate it.

He also would let himself in whenever he pleased and filled up the 4 car garage with a second hand kitchen because "you guys all park outside anyway" (because he locked the garage doors and didn't leave the keys to the roller door so access was from the house only)

There are already laws to make all of this illegal.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

norp posted:

There are already laws to make all of this illegal.

the problem is the attitude and the unwillingness to enforce those laws.

Landlords and real estate agents DGAF.

Especially estate agents who will try to steal your bond at every opportunity but suddenly hand it back when you demonstrate even a passing knowledge of the renters act and tell them what they're doing is illegal.

I learned this from a very helpful ex housemate of mine who kept a copy of the act on his computer and routinely told our various estate agents to go away.

EDIT: It's like those small business owners who pay 16 dollars an hour and are like OH I googled it once! How was I to know that's illegal. They don't care to know and there's often no consequence for them not caring to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hooman posted:

the problem is the attitude and the unwillingness to enforce those laws.

Landlords and real estate agents DGAF.

Especially estate agents who will try to steal your bond at every opportunity but suddenly hand it back when you demonstrate even a passing knowledge of the renters act and tell them what they're doing is illegal.

I learned this from a very helpful ex housemate of mine who kept a copy of the act on his computer and routinely told our various estate agents to go away.

EDIT: It's like those small business owners who pay 16 dollars an hour and are like OH I googled it once! How was I to know that's illegal. They don't care to know and there's often no consequence for them not caring to know.

Not like there's some sort of test you have to pass to practice being a realtor...

• Locked thread