Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

PleasureKevin posted:

pro tip for suicide by train:
Gotta say I’m not entirely convinced that ur a pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

if not a form of mental illness, then what is racism? are you trying to say that there could be a rational basis for racist ideas?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Max Facetime posted:

if not a form of mental illness, then what is racism? are you trying to say that there could be a rational basis for racist ideas?

My faith in Christ is not based on 'rational basis'. Did you just call my religion a mental illness?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Max Facetime posted:

being a piece of poo poo and mentally ill are 2 different things

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
this thread is getting really hosed up.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

akadajet posted:

Racism is at least a developmental disability if not a mental illness.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
mental illness and developmental problems manifest in the individual. racism is a social and cultural affliction.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Racism is at least a developmental disability if not a mental illness.

here. watch these videos and get back to us. especially the ones on psychological disorders, prejudice, and discrimination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4pMVb0R6M&list=PL8dPuuaLjXtOPRKzVLY0jJY-uHOH9KVU6

akadajet fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 9, 2018

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

whenever white people do something wrong it's because mental illness

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

everyone who uses a computer is a fuckup

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"personality disorders" are junk science fyi (schizophrenia is not)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oh another overblown overproduced info-tube, sure i'm gonna watch that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I thought personality disorders were collections of comorbid symptoms that we don’t know much about other than “wow these come up together more than one might expect.” not so much junk science as scientists saying “🤷‍♀️”

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
realtalk: templeos was a legitimately impressive accomplishment, and should be acknowledged as a work of outsider art. i first learned about templeos and its eccentric author about 3 years ago, right here in yospos, when there was a thread about this article. i hope davis will be remembered for his programming, and as the introspective, kind-hearted person i saw in his videos when his psychosis wasn't flaring up.

i'm not really sure if anything different could have been done to help him. you can't involuntarily commit someone unless they're an immediate danger to themselves or others, and davis chose homeless over voluntary hospitalization. i never thought he would commit suicide.

some advice if anyone's thinking about creating or updating a templeos vm...if i understand correctly, davis' last big release of templeos was version 5.03. i tried using the ISO images from templeos.org to make an up-to-date templeos vm, but something's wrong with those ISOs. i found working ISOs for v5.03 here, and an archive of davis' scripts for installing with qemu here.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

quote:

I'm the only one who has been paid to work on a Professional operating
system -- Ticketmaster's VAX OS in 1990. When they hire game
programmers they require being listed on a published game. By that
logic, I'm the only professional around.
%
Hitler wasn't honest on Jews. They have higher-than-average IQ.
%
God said he wanted to "compact" the Jews with the holocaust.
%
Homo's probably have higher than average IQ, or at least there are a
lot of homo geniuses.
%
Crazy people often have high IQ.
%
I guess hitler wasn't all about IQ.
%
What's a holocaust?
%
I'm not a homo, whatever that means. Different strokes for different
folks.
%
Shrinks are homo, get out of here! :)

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

My faith in Christ is not based on 'rational basis'. Did you just call my religion a mental illness?

if my options are to legitimize racism or call your religion a mental illness, then... I’m calling your religion a mental illness

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Max Facetime posted:

if my options are to legitimize racism or call your religion a mental illness, then... I’m calling your religion a mental illness

whoosh

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh cool now we're on to the super edgy atheist posts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
religion is child abuse

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Stymie posted:

oh cool now we're on to the super edgy atheist posts

like if it turned out that you can get rid of racism

only it requires sacrificing religion and giving up all other irrational beliefs too,

. . . then what’s the problem?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 9, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Max Facetime posted:

like if it turned out that you can get rid of racism

only it requires sacrificing religion and giving up all other irrational beliefs too,

. . . then what’s the problem?

:reddit:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
posting from the gas chamber

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

religion is child abuse

Gear down, big rig

i didnt rescue any kids from caves before you did, no reason for that sort of talk!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
sometimes i wonder how things would've ended up if we didnt chase terry out of Yospos

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
??

he got banned from SA and didn't re-reg

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

also he kept making threads until he got banned, dude would have never stopped posting otherwise

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RZApublican posted:

also he kept making threads until he got banned, dude would have never stopped posting otherwise

the truest among us

the real yospos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

President Beep posted:

mental illness and developmental problems manifest in the individual. racism is a social and cultural affliction.

exactly, racism comes from material conditions. the pathologizing of it does nothing to address that we live in a society based on exploitation and uses racism to create subaltern working classes.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

“gee i’m going to otherise, dehumanize and exclude other groups so they’ll be forced to sell their labour for well below its value, allowing me to reap the profit” isn’t a mental illness, it’s an economic model.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
but then how will i be able to use the crazy computer man's death to present myself as better and smarter than others

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

very carefully

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

people are complex things

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!