Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
i'm not convinced he's dead. it could be a hoax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

terry was not a liar.

there are reasons to be skeptical.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 4, 2018

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

possibly the saddest part is that he appears to have died in a car accident with his mother

i.e. his life was getting back on the rails and then freak chance took them both

:smith:

no. he got hit by a train in the dalles, oregon, on august 11th. article in local paper (behind paywall) here. article's archived google cache here. the train engineer believes it was suicide.

his mom had been terminally ill for months and died in late august.

edit:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

his life was getting back on the rails
what an unfortunate but unintentional choice of words.

RobobTheGreat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 8, 2018

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Well that's even sadder

agreed :(

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

realtalk: templeos was a legitimately impressive accomplishment, and should be acknowledged as a work of outsider art. i first learned about templeos and its eccentric author about 3 years ago, right here in yospos, when there was a thread about this article. i hope davis will be remembered for his programming, and as the introspective, kind-hearted person i saw in his videos when his psychosis wasn't flaring up.

i'm not really sure if anything different could have been done to help him. you can't involuntarily commit someone unless they're an immediate danger to themselves or others, and davis chose homeless over voluntary hospitalization. i never thought he would commit suicide.

some advice if anyone's thinking about creating or updating a templeos vm...if i understand correctly, davis' last big release of templeos was version 5.03. i tried using the ISO images from templeos.org to make an up-to-date templeos vm, but something's wrong with those ISOs. i found working ISOs for v5.03 here, and an archive of davis' scripts for installing with qemu here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

there's a templeos fork, "Shrine", on github that apparently has a unix-like shell, a TCP/IP stack, and a package manager.

• Locked thread