Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Elmnt80 posted:

Nah, its florida. It'd still happen.

You didnt know that racism was fixed in America in 2007?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Democrats say that they are toning down their rhetoric against Trump and focusing on Healthcare and an infrastructure plan.

https://www.axios.com/2018-midterm-elections-democrats-detailed-agenda-76866210-1cf5-40f7-8422-bb29949437ae.html

quote:

Democratic leaders have been clear that impeachment isn't happening unless it's bipartisan — that Mueller's findings are definitive, and Republicans voice support for the i-word.

Good luck with that one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's not the worst strategy since openly campaigning on impeachment could motivate the Republican base, and conviction in the Senate physically can't happen anyway without Republican crossover votes so it's best not to get people's hopes up.

Ah yes let's take a neutral stance against the person we've been banging the drum against for 2 years and hope that Republicans make decisions based on principles instead of "gently caress you vote GOP". That will turn out the voters for 2020 for sure.

Unless Mueller comes back with "nope, totally innocent" then anything except advocating for immediate removal is just handing the government over to fascists with ties to a foreign power.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

e: Actually read the article. That's sort of misleading. Basically they are planning ahead and not going to do anything unless Mueller comes down with both barrels.

*and as long as Republicans will play along with it.

Look, if Mueller shows up with videotapes of Trump murdering a dozen black babies the only responses from the GOP will just be "this is concerning" and "witch hunt, fake news, liberals are trying to destroy our country" and then get a mild bump in the polls for refusing to support a democratically controlled congress.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Trump cannot be impeached and removed without around a dozen republican senators crossing over because it’s literally impossible even with a complete sweep to get to 66 senators this election.

It’s good to focus on healthcare and actually putting money into employee pockets rather than more handouts to the wealthy. Run on fixing be potholes in your city. Talk about poo poo people actually care about.

I don't disagree with this but if a blue wave actually occurs it's not gonna be because people just suddenly started wanting to care about local government issues over the last 2 years. You need each individual local candidate to run on local issues yes, but as far as party wide strategic planning the DNC has positioned itself whether they meant to or not as #resistance.

If you don't make moves to impeach pending Mueller actually providing a real case, even without the needed Republican support, I don't think the voters are going to come out in droves to support in 2020. It's not like they'd immediately lose all their hypothetical gains from 2018 but it would likely disenfranchise their own voters again especially if they run a weak centrist candidate again in 2020.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

If the Mueller report dropped before midterms, then yeah, beat the impeach drum. If it hasn't, then it's not a winnable argument. This is literally the most productive special counsel ever and it is still one of the youngest in terms of how long most last. Give the process time to complete. There are a lot more arrests to come that do not happen if the investigation is rushed.

There is a massive disinformation campaign against the investigation, though, that becomes a whataboutism war that isn't really productive and does not drive the vote. AOC was completely correct, and Gillum's winning the FL primary shows, the only thing that matters is GOTV. Turn non-voters into voters and get people to the loving polls. Your average joe isn't motivated by "impeach impeach impeach" as much as they are someone that says "I want to fix the pothole in front of your house."

Yeah, in no way do I expect the Mueller report to come out before midterms, this was about what to do after 2018 (if they win). In that case if they win and then don't try to impeach, even without Republican support, I don't think it's going to help them afterwards.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, yeah, the house will absolutely impeach. Will the senate do anything? eh.

Exactly. But they have to try. Saying their strategy is going to be "wait for Mueller and then do it if the Republicans come around" seems .... dumb given the 'massive disinformation campaign' as you mention. I say "wait for Mueller then do everything you can" to gain ammunition for 2020 and afterwards.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

impeach Trump, and then what?

Probably gently caress everything up as Dems are likely to do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tryzzub posted:

hoo boy those comments

https://twitter.com/malderdi/status/1036719689122996224

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/johnrich/status/1036751396002050050

https://twitter.com/sclancy79/status/1036749717206691840

Destroying my property to own the libs

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

I know they'll never loving do it, but the cabinet needs to just loving 25th his broke brain rear end so we can deal with Pence and at the very least not worry about WW3 starting as we lose healthcare benefits and collective bargaining.

The cabinet is likely concerned right now about using their positions for individual profits.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:thurman:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Bullshit, that means that Stephen Miller is absolved due to the fact that his maternal side escaped the holocaust. Same thing with half the hangers-on in Right Wing Media, I'd reference Laura Loomer as an example. Just because these people are in positions of influence or power does't reduce the tribalism-based nature of modern politics.

There is no configuration on the human body that will result in a resting pose that looks like that. Either she was saying something in support of, or warning on Kavanaugh's positions.

I'm sure it was just a coincidence, I say for the 500th time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Just chatting with some other ID colleagues about this. Too many questions yet. Are the 100 people from the same area / exposed before the flight or not? If not then how long was the flight duration / onset of symptoms. Worst case is very fast transmitting airborne disease, almost certainly viral. Upside is due to speed of transmission / onset of symptoms, containment is easy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

That many people getting infected by something and showing symptoms in such a small window, pretty much has to be the food or something airborne on the flight. I'm not even sure offhand what would be airborne that would show that quickly? I'm just going to go ahead and hope it was the food.

Yep. Thought the same thing. Food is highly suspect but unclear if they present with GI symptoms. Coughing alone is unusual for a fast food poisoning / food vector outbreak.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Unless its a chartered flight I can't imagine 100+ people on the same flight being exposed to something simultaneously beforehand. Even if they're from the same region, being exposed at the same time, going on the same flight, and showing symptoms in the same narrow window? Obviously there are people looking at this every which way, and I'm sure they're looking at every other flight that left that airport, etc; but just from the scenario alone the simplest/hopeful explanation was food.

I agree, it's not very probable. Only mentioning it to consider possibilities. Honestly if not for the mention of coughing, this would realistically be just food poisioning. Not much else can move that fast to present symptoms, just read that it was a <15h flight.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

I'm also currently dealing with a panicking wife about this because we live 20 minutes from the airport and she is reading twitter.

e; For some reason any time I tell her we're dead in the first wave of any major attack, biological or otherwise, she doesn't seem very reassured.

Eh tell her I'm an infectious disease researcher and I'd say not to panic. Fast spreading poo poo is actually easiest to stop / contain.

Woodchip posted:

could be a new super-MERS.

Possible, but that would mean it goes from like a 4 day incubation period to a 12h one. Hell of a jump.

psydude posted:

Dubai is a major transit point for people coming from India, Australia, and Africa, so it's possible that many of them were on the first flight together and didn't develop symptoms until the second.

That's not a bad idea.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Torrannor posted:

That's not a lot of comfort to someone who's been told that they will be among the first to be hit by a biological/nuclear weapon ;)

Hahah.

Really though, the fact that the plane is quarantined means its effectively over with if its some new radical hollywood type disease.

The nasty poo poo is the stuff that spreads easy via air and has a week long incubation period.

Like, last week China announced they were holding back sending us influenza samples. That's going to make it far more likely that our prediction for flu vaccines this winter will be less effective. This will translate in several thousand more deaths in the USA alone. No one cares though...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mods changed my name posted:

Avenattis platform seems ok with me so far, not sure why everyone hates him so much

Edit: at worst you can say he's being opportunistic as hell

His platform is OK. But like, we just got done electing an attention-seeking D list celebrity who has no real typical qualifications for the presidency.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So it just makes him a lawyer with no prior political experience. Still not sure that's a great choice for presidency even if his platform is a good one. We have hundreds of millions of citizens, is this the best we can do?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

Wait, so being a lawyer and dealing with politics in law / court house is no political experience? Do you realize politicians write the laws and politics at a national level can be compared to high school?

A quote of his I can find on this
https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1027773371671633922

Ok you got me. He's supremely qualified to be president and we should be excited that he's going to run for office.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I mean if you can name a Democrat with whatever experience that is deemed as real enough and isn't a centrist pile of poo poo, I'd be more than willing to give them a chance too

Chris Murphy, Tammy Duckworth, Martin Heinrich just to name a brief few.

Edit: Jeff Merkley and Sherrod Brown maybe?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Gonna refute literally anything in the content of that tweet?

Refute what. That he's served as an attorney for 18 years and gained public eye by representing a celebrity in a case against the president? That's his qualifications for office. That he's been an attorney and worked on some government cases.

Those aren't the worst qualifications, but I don't think they are great ones either.

That Works fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 5, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Oh I didn't realize these people announced their intentions to run for president, I'll look forward to their campaigns as well and I hope that the most suitable candidate wins

Avenatti is also not a declared candidate, just said that he was "exploring" a run. If you want to only ask about declared candidates here's a list for ones so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2020#Nominations

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Odd this story getting floated now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c930456b5902

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fallom posted:

So...still confirming that the person who wrote it is a senior Trump official. Outstanding.

Yeah that's surprising that they didn't just say "MORE OF THE SAME FAKE NEWS MADE UP LEAK HERE" etc etc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

What if the person that wrote it is the duly elected Vice President

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1037457903614140416

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah, your link seems more probable, but its 2018, so its Pence right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

It's impossible to ask for a "cop opinion" on something. It's a wildly diverse profession. You have small town departments where every cop is $13 a hour part time and then departments like the NYPD which are 30k sworn officers and then small suburban departments that pay 150k a year.

I work with a cop who is a member of the DSA and another who is a rabid Trump supporter. The four people above me in my immediate chain of command are either female, POC or both, but there's other departments which are, to put it mildly, not very diverse.

Policing in America has no national standard. Criminal law in America has no national standard. What is a violent felony in some states may not even be a crime in others. It makes establishing and evaluating police departments very difficult.

How would you feel about nationalization of police?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

It's impossible. The balkanization of laws in America at the state, county and municipal level require officers to be trained on local laws, also the massive difference in resources significantly changes functional responses.

I'm gonna effort post on this later, on the phone.

Cool. I hear that thrown around now and then and it sound good on paper (with respect at least to a uniform training standard) but I had no idea how it would actually work and how police actually felt about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Getting rid of our federalist system and nationalizing all of the state governments is the only way to get national policing or laws.

Maybe just a national training and standards program then?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

Every state has multiple definitions of murder.

Murder by cop (not murder)
Murder by white person (regular murder)
Murdered by a minority (super murder unless against another minority — then lol what murder?)
Murdered by an immigrant (BUILD THE WALL murder)

lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

you can gently caress right off also you self righteous shitbird because at no point did I defend the officer, her actions or her department

man gently caress everything I'm loving done

gently caress the cops gently caress the bosses gently caress the incompetent da who can only convict the innocent gently caress the defense attorneys who let their clients rot on rikers for three years gently caress the judges who came straight from traffic court gently caress the twelve people dumb enough to not get out of jury duty who don't like to make judgements gently caress the pandering tough on crime legislators gently caress the prisons gently caress the witness and you know what gently caress the loving victims all they do is loving die on me gently caress this whole loving place I'm loving out

Welcome to the #resistance

Also don't leave I like hearing your point of view in spite of the oft ACAB sentiments.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/487017594713427970

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Not even sure why there's any drama at all about this anywhere. Older white dude threw a lovely 1st punch to initiate contact, got popped pretty good in return then backed off. Unless there was prior violence not on the video that's that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Widdle Elon isn't having a good year.

Hilariously all of his own making. Like dude, just stay off loving twitter and live it up with your billions, how is this hard.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BigDave posted:

You could say the exact same thing about Trump. If he'd just kept his mouth shut and stay'd off Twitter, he wouldn't been half of the poo poo he's in now.

Trump is president and is probably making his businesses more money than he was able to before now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Skull and bones but its the SS Totenkopf skull?

No its just a skull and bones.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

EBB posted:

Florence is gonna be my mom's first hurricane in the Carolinas. She was telling me how she was laughing internally at people who keep "hurricane preparedness kits" and the guy boarding up his windows. They live two miles from shore and told me "I've been through hurricanes in New England, this is basically the same."

I wished her the best of luck.

I've been through hurricanes in Southeast Louisiana my whole life and in New England for the past 7 years.

Lol just loving lol.

Please try to get your mom to evacuate.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

psydude posted:

Well the good news is they won't need to be led for much longer.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's good fertilizer.

Until it gets into a lake, water supply, river or ocean. Then it's a problem.

• Locked thread