Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

dscruffy1 posted:

Trump subsequent to all that bullshit has emphasized personal loyalty to him over everything.

Big expectations from a man who cheated on all three of his wives. But I'm sure Trump honestly believes he's 900% entitled to everything he's ever done or coveted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Brain scorching American diplomats in other counties that aren't really friends also sounds right up the alley of Russia trying to destabilize in any way they can. Guess we'll probably never know.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

psydude posted:

Cuba is very tight with Russia. The article speculates that it might have been Cubans working with the Russians to sideline the reconciliation between the US and Cuba, as closer US/Cuba relations would cut off a major Russian ally in the west.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Relations between Cuba and USA aren't really friendly but were improving; undermining that makes sense from a destabilizing perspective.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

orange juche posted:

I mean I read the book so I already knew that Starship Troopers was a satirical work, but there's plenty of people who looked at Starship Troopers and thought that it was a future that humans should strive towards.

It was a long time ago I guess but I honestly don't remember weird political stuff or anything in Starship Troopers, it seemed like a "wholesome" becoming-a-man-in-the-army sort of story because spaceships and power armor and finally feeling like I know what I'm doing in an environment of hardship and danger (but not too much danger to me personally) and dropping to a planet in power armor and maybe shoot a bug in the face or something.

Unless that was the satirical part since Heinlein knew perfectly well what war was like, but I really didn't get any fashy stuff I guess.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
And it deffo wasn't like one of those lame books that you find out are banned and highly controversial so you track down a copy figuring the guys are going to be worshipping satan and raping each other or sacrificing kids and learning blood magic or something but instead they're talking politics for 20 pages at a time or whatever and you end up flipping past handfuls of pages at once like whenever you come across a poem or song in Tolkien except there's nothing else in the book.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Man you missed like... everything in that movie, then. Perhaps you should re-watch it!

I think I mixed up the book talk and the movie talk.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Reading Woodward's book. Never knew just how instrumental Bannon was to getting Trump elected.

And that fucker clocked 100% precisely just how much of a cheese brained destructive retard Trump was from square one and seems to never have asked himself what the living gently caress he was doing, working night and day getting him elected President.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This past couple years feels like turning into that Roddy Piper movie THEY LIVE except instead of seeing everything reduced to OBEY and SLEEP and poo poo it all says GUILLOTINES

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Let's lighten things up:

Why does Trump have sex exclusively in the standing position?

A: Because Donnie can only gently caress up

I first heard this one about Reagan

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I think it was Cohn who pointed out that if China wanted to sink the USA they'd just stop selling us antibiotics. Something like 98.6% (?) come from China.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

I remember seeing something along the lines of

"OK imagine a company with X number of employees. X% have criminal offenses, Y% have been indicted for X Y or Z, etc etc etc. Would you want anything at all to do with that company? Would you hire them for anything? Well guess what, I'm actually talking about the US Senate!"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Actually it turns out your "training scenario" was conference-called in to a range of poor SOBs in otherwise empty rooms across the country, so while you thought you were laconically stepping through the checklist in VR it turns out you actually were firing all those people :ocelot::radcat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Grad planning at my school was dominated by a pointy faced young woman who would hold votes for key elements of the event, get pissed that we didn't vote for her favourite option and storm off. Then we'd do it all again voting again for the same thing, the prior vote being voided because "not everyone was here" or "clearly you didn't understand the options so I'll explain them better this time before we repeat the vote" and so on. And we mostly played along, well, because she's the grad chair, I guess.

Turns out the more things change after high school the more they stay the same!

• Locked thread