Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

nullscan posted:

Go take out MS13 at the source. They're from there right? Meh, it's down there somewhere.

So basically the same premises behind the Iraq war.

e: Why aren't we running with our usual LATAM playbook of letting the CIA mess things up by backing right-wing paramilitaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anger Mango's disapproval rating is the highest it's been in 6 months. Democrats are up 9.5 points on the generic congressional ballot.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Experts believe that diplomats in Cuba (and possibly China) that suffered from brain damage were targeted by a microwave weapon. BTW, this article has some cool information on the Soviet and US microwave weapons programs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

Is Cuba not tight with Russia anymore?

Cuba is very tight with Russia. The article speculates that it might have been Cubans working with the Russians to sideline the reconciliation between the US and Cuba, as closer US/Cuba relations would cut off a major Russian ally in the west.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just go to a running store each spring and try on a few different shoes and see which ones I like best. Guess I'd better start asking the salesperson to make sure my brand doesn't hate freedom.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No. From the Senate website:

quote:

Quorum

Article I, section 5 of the Constitution requires that a quorum (51 senators) be present for the Senate to conduct business. Often, fewer than 51 senators are present on the floor, but the Senate presumes a quorum unless a roll call vote or quorum call suggests otherwise

roll call vote - A vote in which each senator votes "yea" or "nay" as his or her name is called by the clerk, so that the names of senators voting on each side are recorded. Under the Constitution, a roll call vote must be held if demanded by one-fifth of a quorum of senators present, a minimum of 11

quorum call - A call of the roll to establish whether a quorum is present. If any senator "suggests the absence of a quorum," the presiding officer must direct the roll to be called. Often, a quorum call is terminated by unanimous consent before completion, which permits the Senate to use the quorum call to obtain a brief delay to work out some difficulty or await a senator's arrival.

So no, the Dems can't just not show up. The Senate would remain to function under the presumption of a quorum because there wouldn't be any Democrats to call for either a roll call vote or a quorum call, and of course no Republicans are going to do it.

While it's technically possible, it's also kind of like hoping that the electoral college would vote against Trump.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 4, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Dems would have to go to Canada in this case which would be even dumber than the state legislatures going to a different state.

Has that ever worked well at the state level?

Well, Wisconsin no longer has public employee collective bargaining, so apparently not.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I don't know if Pence would get rid of Miller, but I have my doubts that he wouldn't bring someone just as bad, but with less of a public reputation on board...

Pence would probably govern pretty similarly to Bush, including surrounding himself with seasoned neo- conservatives with ample experience at crafting and vetting policy, albeit with more of an emphasis on culture wars and less of an emphasis on invading Iraq. So take that as you will.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 4, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If Trump does get impeached, is there any kind of mechanism to undo his appointments?

Impeachment of the appointees.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Impeachment and removal of any appointee still takes the majority of the house and 2/3 of the Senate, so it's incredibly difficult to do even with a supermajority.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dubai is a major transit point for people coming from India, Australia, and Africa, so it's possible that many of them were on the first flight together and didn't develop symptoms until the second.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The UK has charged two Russian intelligence officers with trying to murder the Skripals.

Of course they got on a plane back to Russia as soon as the deed was done, so unless they're dumb enough to travel somewhere with extradition, nothing will ever happen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/world/europe/russia-uk-novichok-skripal.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So apparently Kavanaugh is caught up in perjury from a Bush era fiasco from 15 years ago and the Judiciary Committee has emails to prove it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-patrick-leahy-sets-memogate-trap-for-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh?source=politics&via=rss

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Now for some light-hearted tinpot dictatorory:

The government photographer who took photos of Trump's inauguration cropped then to make the crowd size look bigger after the president personally asked him to.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/06/donald-trump-inauguration-crowd-size-photos-edited

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

getting murdered by the state in my home to own the libs protect the laboratories of democracy

If you think this would somehow get prosecuted by the DoJ if we didn't have a federal system, I've got bad news.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I thought Martello was the Army O3 stationed at Drum who got in trouble after making fun of his brigade for making everyone do a 25 mile ruck march in the rain.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EBB posted:

Hi Earth,

I know we haven't been buddies lately and you're pretty busy getting ready to kill us all, but if you could flatten DC with Florence I'll go plant some trees.

Thanks,
EBB

Go flatten the Carolinas instead. DC, MD, and VA all voted against Trump.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DC: putting the in in incel since 2017.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EBB posted:

They're both the kind of horse that refuses to be lead to water.

Well the good news is they won't need to be led for much longer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Hog farmers need to be hit with the hammer of the fuckin law. Every once in a while I'll get stuck behind a tractor with a tank full of pig poo poo while out running and it is just about the worst smell. They are allowed to just dump it on their fields here because the rules haven't been updated from back when we had mom and pop farms with a couple hogs instead of loving city-sized hog factories

Back in the late 90s, Maryland suffered from massive fish die-offs due to runoff from chicken farms and pig farms. Of course, farmers are a very powerful lobby that leverage the ability to pull at the emotional heart strings of Americans who still think of most Farmers as barely getting by.

However, the fishing and crabbing industry in MD is even more powerful than the farming industry, so a bunch of laws were passed forcing poultry and hog farms to literally contain their poo poo.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Even north of that. I live in South Central Pennsylvania and at this point we get a flood warning every time there's a shower. Ground has been saturated for two straight months.

I've been in Scotland for vacation and my phone has been getting nonstop flood warnings for where I live in MD since I left.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought you guys were kidding about Martello.

Is this actually Martello, or a guy who happens to look exactly like him?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

So...if the US actually puts sanctions on China over its treatment of Muslims (apparently there are camps and poo poo), what kind of mental gymnastics can we expect to see from the MAGAts?

They won't notice, because it won't be on Fox News.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

:lol: he won't do NYC because there will be a bunch of protestors.

Surprised he didn't opt for the Pentagon because of how much he loves are troupes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I used to work with a guy who sold his house and bought an RV and lived out of it full time. He would travel up and down the US trying to stay at around 75F and flew out of whatever the nearest airport was every time he had to work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah. It’s why part of my plan, should I make it to 20, is DINK life forever and ever until we either stop working or work part-time.

We’re generally frugal, have no debt anymore, and have both been full-time employed since we graduated college, straight from high school.

My dream of not working before I’m too crippled to work lives on, for now. But everyone is one or two disasters from losing that hope.

You just jynxed yourself, Major.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I already have over 93k in my pension from being in a union 7 years. $8 an hour goes directly to my pension on-top of my pay and bennies

Does a pension in Canada just mean a tax advantaged retirement account or something? In the US, a defined benefit pension plan means you're guaranteed to get paid a certain amount of money each month basically until death. The few companies that still offer them typically don't require any contribution on the part of the beneficiaries aside from time worked.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

Guilty? :shrug:

It's something I enjoy, all the better if I can get paid for it.

No, his point is that instead of leaving now to pursue your dreams you're sticking with your military job just like everyone else who's telling themselves they'll start enjoying their lives just as soon as they're done spending the entirely of their young adult lives sacrificing their bodies to an institution that doesn't give a poo poo about them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Yeah, France did it and had 50% inflation from 1945-48 or so. Absolutely wiped out the savings of every French citizen still standing after the war and led directly to a lot of broke/homeless pensioners in the 50s.

e: so yeah, not an ideal solution. The new hotness in economic theory, following Thomas Piketty's book Capital for the 21st Century, is to pay down sovereign debt with an exceptional tax on wealth rather than through inflation or austerity.

Argentina, which at one point was the 7th wealthiest country in the world, also tried this. It didn't end well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's 16 nuclear reactors potentially affected by the hurricane's reach, including one plant that's near where it's going to make landfall.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mods changed my name posted:

It's always seemed pretty weird to me to preach Jesus poo poo while simultaneously denying millions of people the right to live because of money but what do i know

If the article is accurate, I think he was merely discussing UHC as a matter of political strategy, rather than the concept or merits of UHC itself. Take that as you will, but it's not the same thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mods changed my name posted:

"good things aren't possible right now" - Jesus

I mean most religion is founded in fatalistic principles of enduring suffering right now for unseen reward after you die so yeah it's probably not surprising most religious conservatives aren't a fan of UHC or world peace.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Did I mention the only black person I encountered between daybreak and nightfall was a bartender at the reception?

That place needs a loving investigation or something

Try going go the University of Alabama. The only black people are on the football team.

Also, I keep trying to make a Jessie Owens joke but you aren't giving me an opening.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

On the banks of the Red Cedar...

:cripes:

On the plus side unlike Penn State I can't think of a single alumnus who isn't horrified and disgusted by this poo poo.

That's only because gymnastics doesn't have the following of millions of fans.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's been public knowledge since the primaries and wasn't really a big secret before. After Trump's bankruptcies in the 90s no American lender would touch him so he's been funding everything with laundered russian money ever since.

The best part is that almost all of it is probably legal since US real estate is basically unregulated. The only thing that would get him in trouble would be any attempts at tax evasion or quid pro quo poo poo specifically pertaining to his campaign.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Here's a nice article on Tammy Duckworth, if anyone needs a break from anger mango.

https://www.vogue.com/article/tammy-duckworth-interview-vogue-october-2018-issue

psydude fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 13, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

:tif:

Edit: I'd love to see a comparison of $ spent enforcing border security / implementing deportations vs $ spent prosecuting employers of known illegal aliens.

I'll give you a head start on those figures:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/us/politics/us-mexico-deportation-funds.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

U.S. Plans to Pay Mexico to Deport Unauthorized Immigrants There

WASHINGTON — President Trump has promised for years that Mexico would pay for a vast border wall, a demand that country has steadfastly refused. Now, in the Trump administration’s campaign to stop illegal immigration, the United States plans instead to pay Mexico.

In a recent notice sent to Congress, the administration said it intended to take $20 million in foreign assistance funds and use it to help Mexico pay plane and bus fare to deport as many as 17,000 people who are in that country illegally.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Why is the NRA even commenting on this unless they're basically a hate enabling group?

I think you've already found your answer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Getting the guilty plea is a masterstroke for Mueller because he'll be admitting to everything and if Trump pardons him it'll look extra stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I think that gas stations are controlled electronically, I don't know the specifics though, I just install the pipe, the actual gas company we are contracted by does all that. That being said, we test lines 4x their operating pressure for hours depending on the situation (ie. steel services are 4h above ground and 24h if tested after installed) so someone must have hosed up bad. There are also always mechanical valves so you can shut down mains manually if needed. This is in Ontario though

Gas distribution is broken up into a few different control systems. On the wholesale/distribution end, you have standard SCADA systems controlling pipeline substations/pumping stations to regulate pressure and and act as an emergency shutoff. These are typically connected via satellite or cellular through a MPLS VPN, DMVPN, or standard IPSec tunnel back to a centralized operations center.

The retail end is starting to move towards smart meters just like your electric meter. I'm not as familiar with this aspect, but if it's anything like the electricity AMI then it uses a mesh network at the neighborhood level to connect back to a local base station, which then connects back to the operations center over a normal commercial internet line.

• Locked thread