Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm sure you've all seen this image in relation to "border doctrine" which is an assertion by the feds that the fourth amendment doesn't apply to border crossings so if you're within 100 miles of a border CBP can search your poo poo based on their own interpretation of "probable cause."

Looks like we got a case that is starting to move the needle back the right way.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/09/judge-to-feds-no-you-cant-warrantlessly-put-a-gps-device-on-truck-entering-us/

quote:

Judge Bernal's ruling in United States v. Slavco Ignjatov et al. has echoes of a notable 2012 Supreme Court decision, United States v. Jones. In Jones, the court unanimously found that the government could not put a GPS tracking device on a car without a warrant.

The primary difference in United States v. Slavco Ignjatov et al. is that the tracker was installed at the border, where the "border doctrine" applies. Government lawyers claimed that because the truck search happened at the border, the border doctrine and its broader search parameters apply. But Judge Bernal didn't buy this line of reasoning.

"Permitting agents to apply GPS trackers to any vehicle at the border and subsequently monitor its location without first obtaining a warrant flies in the face of Jones, which holds that the installation of a GPS device constitutes a search under the Fourth Amendment," he wrote, granting the defense's motion to suppress evidence obtained as a result of the tracking. "The government agents here did not seek legal advice on their decision to install the devices and chose instead to rely on two [Homeland Security Investigations] agents' understanding of the law."

It's kind of upsetting that CBP considered this to be totally okay before but hey, at least it isn't now and this might set some precedent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/billroggio/status/1036361081688649729?s=19

I've already sent this to the PAO I knew from our time together at RS and man can the Army not do PAO

Bill Roggio's tweet was p. dumb too.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Democrats say that they are toning down their rhetoric against Trump and focusing on Healthcare and an infrastructure plan.

https://www.axios.com/2018-midterm-elections-democrats-detailed-agenda-76866210-1cf5-40f7-8422-bb29949437ae.html

They want their own infrastructure week?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/1luvMDD/status/1036727408454524928

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Epiphyte posted:

Is new balance alt right now or something? I like my wide rear end dad shoes....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.d9f86298935f

quote:

Last week, not even a full 24 hours after President-elect Donald Trump earned that title, a senior official for the shoe company New Balance invoked his name in an interview.

“The Obama administration turned a deaf ear to us and frankly, with President-elect Trump, we feel things are going to move in the right direction,” Matthew LeBretton, New Balance’s vice president of public affairs, told the Wall Street Journal.

“So the fact that he’s a racist and wholly unfit for the presidency didn’t bother them?” tweeted one woman. “All about profit.”

“I have been wearing New Balance shoes (at $160/pair) for the past 10 years,” wrote another. “If they support Trump, I’ve bought my last pair.”

All this, however, did not stop one more dividing force from smearing the New Balance brand.

In a post written over the weekend, neo-Nazi blogger Andrew Anglin declared New Balance the “Official Shoes of White People.”

“I’m a Nike guy. Or rather, I was,” Anglin wrote on his popular website the Daily Stormer, which promotes an anti-Semitic, white supremacist agenda. “It’s time to get on-board with New Balance now. Their brave act has just made them the official brand of the Trump Revolution.”

He tells his readers New Balance is now their “uniform” and claims they should view the company’s statement on Trump — taken out of context — as “a gesture to support White people and to support US manufacturing.” He also wrote that he believed it was all a marketing scheme to gain customers who voted for Trump.

“This will be fantastic,” Anglin wrote. “We will be able to recognize one another by our sportswear.”

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I figured they already were, I always see boots wearing them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

my kinda ape posted:

I only buy Asics and Brooks and New Balance because every other company doesn't make shoes that fit my hosed up weird feet.

I've been running in Brooks since high school in the 90s and I am not changing for anything short of genocide, especially since they're so good for my flat as hell feet. No shoe maker is really "good" so whatevs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fallom posted:

Heinlein has such massive range as an author that I cannot sign on with people who point to Starship Troopers and claim that he was 100% sincere about those being his actual beliefs

Heinlein had a pretty far ranging and somewhat contradictory set of beliefs and ideas. I enjoy most of his work (and find some absolutely appalling) so I just roll with it.

So the Woodward book looks like another fun bundle of juicy details on the other hand I remember Woodward being a neoconservative warmonger over the last 20 years or so so gently caress that old shithead.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Don't read Time Enough For Love. Just don't.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mods changed my name posted:

Yeah same

Edit : my wife and I buy all of those 70s cook book. Got some weird cocaine one with like titties that I should post

:justpost:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1037485664433070080

hahahahah

nooooooope

man today is the best news month ever

This is just gonna fuel the DEEP STATE conspiracy theories.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Sarah Sanders is just the worst loving person. She is literally the Baghdad Bobette for this administration and every time she spews her lies and misdirections it makes me hope she gets hit by a truck on the way to work.

Why would you want to do that to an innocent truck?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Dear anonymous official: gently caress off.

quote:

May I just say, for the record, to hell with this person, whoever it is.

Over the past two days, I've become increasingly annoyed by the careerist bleatings of anonymous sources who would like you to know that, by enabling El Caudillo Del Mar-a-Lago and his long, slow slide into howling madness, they are really keeping him from doing some real damage to the country, and shouldn't we all be grateful for their noble, selfless work.

To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the left. We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous. But we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic. That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.

Please, Heritage Foundation, give us our old jobs back when this all blows over.

The root of the problem is the president’s amorality. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making.

Jesus H. Christ on an auto-glass ad, everybody who watched him for 11 seconds on the campaign trail figured this out. You'd have to have had the brain of a marmoset not to be convinced of this back in 19-goddamn-79. More than 60 million people voted for him anyway. You took a job with him.

Don’t get me wrong. There are bright spots that the near-ceaseless negative coverage of the administration fails to capture: effective deregulation, historic tax reform, a more robust military and more.

The monster has fulfilled its purpose: poisoned water, more of the nation's wealth catapulted upwards, and a massive new Navy in case Yamamoto comes back from the dead. Now you all have to help us kill it.

The erratic behavior would be more concerning if it weren’t for unsung heroes in and around the White House. Some of his aides have been cast as villains by the media. But in private, they have gone to great lengths to keep bad decisions contained to the West Wing, though they are clearly not always successful. It may be cold comfort in this chaotic era, but Americans should know that there are adults in the room. We fully recognize what is happening. And we are trying to do what’s right even when Donald Trump won’t.

Don't stand on one leg waiting for your statue on the mall, Ace. It's not "cold comfort." It's utter bullshit. Nobody elected you, whoever the hell you are. Nobody elected these other anonymous heroes, either. This isn't the way the presidency is supposed to work.

This isn’t the work of the so-called deep state. It’s the work of the steady state.

Just shut up and quit.

Given the instability many witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president. But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis. So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until — one way or another — it’s over. The bigger concern is not what Mr. Trump has done to the presidency but rather what we as a nation have allowed him to do to us. We have sunk low with him and allowed our discourse to be stripped of civility.

Yeah, his behavior in office has shocked the hell out of me, too. Who could've guessed that a raving know-nothing with a gold commode might turn out to be a tacky president*?

Enough of this stuff. Stand up in the light of day and tell your stories. All of them, right from the beginning. Admit that what you're confronting now is the end result of 40 years of conservative politics and all the government-is-the-problem malfeasance you've been imbibing since you were wingnuts in swaddling. The fire's licking at your ankles at last. Come out of the cupboards, you boys and girls. None of you are heroes.

:decorum:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

....what the hell is wrong with these people?

Aggressive misogynists who cling to their only accomplishment, which is to get hired for a job that requires all of a GED, barely functioning body, and ability to tell your left from your right more often than not.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

"our new national motto"

e: also Tucker Carlson is a fascist.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/954382380558467072?lang=en

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

my kinda ape posted:

I think the zoning board may have dropped the ball here...

I don't know what North Carolina has for laws, but there should be water quality monitoring going on. If the poo poo lagoons are properly built, there isn't any significant seepage into the water table and it's a mostly anaerobic environment which keeps the bacteria levels lower than you'd think. They're also supposed to be built to not overflow based on a certain interval flooding/rainfall probability. Which this hurricane is going to exceed of course, but still...

aphid_licker posted:

Hog farmers need to be hit with the hammer of the fuckin law. Every once in a while I'll get stuck behind a tractor with a tank full of pig poo poo while out running and it is just about the worst smell. They are allowed to just dump it on their fields here because the rules haven't been updated from back when we had mom and pop farms with a couple hogs instead of loving city-sized hog factories

It's good fertilizer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Worth it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

It could be done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillion_dollar_coin

It was suggested Obama do that during the Debt Ceiling crisis.

It wasn't suggested by anyone credible and only picked up by RWNJs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
DEEP STATE DEEP STATE DEEP STATE

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1039331726672187393

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1039275949718683654

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1039269688436568064

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mods changed my name posted:

Why should the Beatles tossing each other off even matter unless you think homosexuality is something to be ridiculed

That's not the story. From the GQ interview:

quote:

"What it was," he explains after I have prompted him, "was over at John's house, and it was just a group of us. And instead of just getting roaring drunk and partying—I don't even know if we were staying over or anything—we were all just in these chairs, and the lights were out, and somebody started masturbating, so we all did."
There would be about five of them: McCartney, Lennon, and maybe three of Lennon's friends. As they each concentrated on their mission, anyone in the group was encouraged to shout out a name that would offer relevant inspiration.
"We were just, 'Brigitte Bardot!' 'Whoo!'" McCartney says, "and then everyone would thrash a bit more."
At least until one of them—the one you would perhaps expect—opted for disruption over stimulation.
"I think it was John sort of said, 'Winston Churchill!'" McCartney remembers, and acts out the aghast, stymied reactions.

Which is weirder than just being gay/bi.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

By this logic, might as well shoot them handcuffed. You never know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Chavis_Carter

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
A tweet about the status of the Boston gas explosions let some other information out because people still don't know how to screenshot properly.

quote:

At the height of Thursday night’s gas emergency that affected 8,000 people and in which one person was killed, Massachusetts state police posted to Twitter a map of responses to fires and explosions.

It was an image of a computer monitor, showing locations of 39 incidents as confirmed “by MSP Watch Center”, and it included a vital message: “Reminder: all residents of Lawrence/Andover/N[orth] Andover who have Columbia Gas must evacuate, as should anyone else who smells gas.”

But the image also showed something else: a bookmarks bar at the top of the browser window which listed several leftwing groups.

The bookmarks included a Facebook group for Mass Action Against Police Brutality (MAAPB); the Coalition to Organize and Mobilize Boston Against Trump (Combat); Facebook 413; Facebook MA Activism; and Resistance Calendar, which notes timings for canvassing for Democratic or progressive candidates and anti-Trump rallies.

The state police’s official Twitter account shared the image at 6.26pm. Less than half an hour later it deleted it and shared a new one, which had been cropped. But the first tweet had already drawn the attention of activists and reporters, who shared screenshots and began a social media debate about online police surveillance.

The MSP Watch Center is the information-gathering Commonwealth Fusion Center, formed in 2005 to facilitate the “collection, analysis and dissemination of intelligence relevant to terrorism and public safety”. There are more than 100 such centers nationwide.

The Massachusetts state police director of media communications, David Procopio, told the Guardian police have a “responsibility to know about all large public gatherings of any type and by any group, regardless of their purpose and position, for public safety reasons”.

He added: “We do not collect information about – nor, frankly, do we care about – any group’s beliefs or opinions.”

Sure you don't.
:downs:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

When did the wp sign become a thing? I learned of it here and it seemed like I was behind the times

Some time in the last year, the 4chan alt-righters said "hey, let's use the circle game sign and tell everyone it's a white power sign. Then when the media goes nuts about it, we'll be like "ha ha you idiots think that it's a white power sign but it isn't.""

Except that they are nazis so it is a white power sign now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Central BBQ. Doesn't really matter what location. They're pretty routinely in the top 3 bbq joints in Memphis.

Don't waste your time on graceland unless you have an unhealthy obsession with it.

Beale street is pretty typically recommended, maybe stay clear of it late at night. There's some burger joint down there that's famous for frying their burgers and continuing to just add to their grease in blocks of lard, filter it, but never change it.

Do you like Bass Pro? Because you're in luck if you do.

Tops gets listed in bets BBQ in Memphis but they aren't really that good. Germantown Commissary is pretty good too.
Gus's is the best fried chicken I've had anywhere, but my experience is relatively limited.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I joined the Navy so I didn't have to deal with MREs, making GBS threads in holes, or sleeping on the loving ground like a caveman.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:iceburn:

Defenestrategy posted:

When your own family goes on TV and says "This guys a gently caress up, do not vote for him", how badly did you ruin Christmas/Thanksgiving over the years?

Apparently he was promoting "Charlottesville was Obama false flag operation" theories.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 22, 2018

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/DrPaulGosar/status/1043566696340971520

I can't believe that literally my entire family is choosing politics over family.

https://twitter.com/alexandraerin/status/1043585561586556928

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrozenVent posted:

Isn’t that already in place? At least here in Canada, if I recall correctly refugee status is the only path to entry that makes you eligible to those things before specific immigration milestones.

Before it only denied green cards to immigrants who directly got welfare cash. This extends it into non-monetary social services.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
A periodic reminder that there is one group in America that whites care about even less than black people:

http://www.alaskastar.com/2018-09-20/former-eagle-river-man-who-strangled-woman-reaches-plea-deal-prosecutors#.W6fJsy-ZNPN

quote:

A former Eagle River man who choked a woman into unconsiousness before sexually assaulting her won’t have to serve jail time after making a deal with Anchorage prosecutors.

According to KTVA-TV, Justin Scott Schneider, 34, pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree assault for the attack in August of 2017. At a change-of-plea hearing Wednesday, judge Michael Corey agreed to sentence Schneider to two years in prison with one year suspended; Schneider was given credit for the time he spent on house arrest awaiting trial.

Wednesday’s sentencing was covered by the Anchorage station, which aired portions of the hearing, including comments from Anchorage Assistant District Attorney Andrew Grannik, who said the plea deal could be considered “a pass” for Schneider and that he hoped the 34-year-old — who has no previous criminal record in Alaska — would be a good candidate for rehabilitation.

“That’s the reason I made the deal that I made because I have reasonable expectations that it will not happen,” Grannik said. “But I would like the gentleman to be on notice that is his one pass — it’s not really a pass — but given the conduct, one might consider it is.”

According to charging documents in the case, a 25-year-old Native woman told police Schneider picked her up at a gas station in Midtown Anchorage, drove to a secluded location, and attacked her.

“[Schneider] immediately and violently grabbed her neck in a front choke hold with both hands and told her if she screamed, he’d kill her,” wrote APD detective Brett Sarber. “…the man kept squeezing her neck harder, and then told her that he was indeed going to kill her.”

The woman passed out thinking she was dying. When she woke up, she was covered in ejaculate and Schneider was standing over her in the process of zipping up his pants.

Judge Corey said that since Schneider would eventually get out of prison, the public might as well be ready for Schneider to reintegrate now.

“Mr. Schneider’s going to be a member of our community,” the judge said. “And he will not be in jail for the rest of his life, even if [he] had been convicted on all of the counts for which he was charged.”

Schneider was originally indicted on kidnapping, assault and harassment charges. In a press release issued by the state on Aug. 16, 2017, prosecutors said Schneider could have faced up to 99 years in prison for the kidnapping charge alone.

At Wednesday’s hearing, Schneider thanked the court for the “process” and characterized the experience in positive terms.

“It has given me a year to really work on myself and become a better person and a better husband and a better father and I’m very eager to continue that journey,” he told the judge.

“Alright, thank you, sir. I appreciate those comments,” Corey replied.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO even if they confirm Kavanaugh, this poo poo is going to haunt them and him if this is proveable.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

And started the Seven Years' War.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vasudus posted:

If the republicans have the floor votes then all the red state dems up for reelection will probably vote for them. It'll be 53-ish yeas. Because it wouldn't change the outcome, and the math for those dems isn't energizing your base to vote for you, it's to give the guys voting against you a reason to stay home.

McCaskill has declared herself a no.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DoktorLoken posted:

I mean not so much alone, just trapped in the closet because of horrible social conservatism.

He wants his forever wars and tax cuts, he gets to jerk it in the dark to Jockey ads. gently caress him.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Internet Wizard posted:

Mean Girls was a really good film

Good, but Heathers was better.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Also..... she’s confused what “liberals” are.

liberals = people she doesn't like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That will be Kavanaugh news pretty soon.

• Locked thread