Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A forever war somewhere not in a desert. Change of pace.

Also one of the worst ideas I've heard in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
In a vacuum it's not a bad idea to let Trump keep right on tripping over his own dick and forcing everyone to acknowledge how much of a loathsome poo poo stain he is while Democrats promise to conduct investigations and talk about solving the issues people care about.

We don't live in that vacuum and the reality is "gently caress you Trump" is all they have. The current crop of Democrats will never actually fix things like healthcare in a way that benefits the voters. If it seriously came down to a gun-to-the-head, A or B decision between fixing those problems for the voters or not pissing off their corporate and wealthy elite donors, they would gladly push the button for letting Republicans maintain the majority while playacting their role as the controlled opposition and unrest relief valve. They're not in a gun-to-the-head situation though, so they'll make all the mouth noises they can about various issues to make things look good. The only way forward is to have enough of a sweep of the Democratic party that it sinks in through their thick loving skulls and triggers the lizard brain political survival instincts that people are absolutely not going to tolerate their bullshit anymore, and they need to accept that it's finally to the point of having no choice but to take votes over donors. Stuff like that responsible capitalism proposal by Pelosi (I think?) is a sign that this might be happening, but we'll see how that works out.

edit:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Can someone give me a quick overview of what could possibly happen in the 2018 midterms? Like, both best-case and worst-case?

iirc the Senate can't go blue over open positions or something, but I've lost track over special elections / resignations / close races in both house and Senate over the year

Best realistic case is a solid majority in the House of Representatives and a hold-the-line outcome in the senate. That lets them subpoena the poo poo out of everything that moves and start putting the really good poo poo out in public like the tax returns while completely crippling the adminstration's agenda and leaving the Anger Mango to impotently ragetweet and do all the shady poo poo he can get away with under the imperial presidency.

Worst case is no majority in the house and a few losses in the Senate, which Republicans will take as a signal that the voters are actually pretty OK with a white supremacist authoritarian leader sliding us into fascism and then basically all hell breaks loose when they just absolutely refuse to act as a check on Trump's wildest impulses. His swiss cheese'd donkey brains take over and the really wild poo poo starts to happen. How that plays out is a pretty open question.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 3, 2018

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tryzzub posted:

hoo boy those comments

Man that is a lot of triggered snowflakes right there.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
LAW AND ORDER CANDIDATE, but only if it's brown people ok? Let's not get crazy and arrest anyone on the good team. You can't just go around enforcing the law on every one equally.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's working for the moment but the next person inspired by Trump to run on blatant white supremacy and authoritarian rule is likely not going to be in the middle stages of dementia. I have no trouble believing that the rabidly loyal base of bigots the Republicans have spent decades curating would have zero problems with kidnapping or murder of the "enemy of the people" media personnel and calling the Democrat party "radical leftist terrorists" that need to be outlawed.

They're already begging for it at his Two Minute Hate rallies, they ll be endlessly loyal to anyone actually does it. This particular Frankenstein's monster isn't going away any time soon, the bigger question is how many of them there are and if there can be a political course correction before the only thing left that matters is how many villagers pick up torches and pitchforks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The knowledge that Trump is turning into a paranoid, hate filled husk of suffering makes my shriveled, black heart rejoice. If we have to tolerate this bullshit at least he should suffer for it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mods changed my name posted:

good post but man I gotta admire that avatar its like vintage now

I've actually wondered how to preserve it in case it ever gets changed. Still proud of earning it by making Warhammer 40,000 nerds poo poo themselves.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/deaths-of-service-members-were-tough-on-trump-bob-woodward-book-shows

Deaths of service members were 'tough' on Trump, Woodward book says

quote:

'"That's a hard one,' he said afterward. He was clearly rattled. He let it be known he would make no more trips to Dover."

quote:

The book goes on to note that others in the Oval Office had copies of the records. "None of what Trump cited was there," the book says. "He was just making it up. He knew what the families wanted to hear."

I would not be able to accept this poo poo-gently caress's signature on anything related to my service.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
See also: Berghdal, Fox coverage of.

They don't even try to hide the hypocrisy anymore. It's just not a problem between Two Minutes Hate and double-think.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
At this point life lessons for children are stuff like "how to do laundry" and "here's how finance and credit works" and everyone just needs to add on to that pile "here's how basic digital security and online privacy works." That particular genie is not ever going back in the bottle and I've told my wife when we get serious about having young'ns we're treating that talk just as seriously as all the other topics. There's just really no other way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yes this area has been getting an absolute poo poo-gently caress rear end-ton of rain for the last month. Got family in PA and they're telling me about weekly flooding events that were like once a decade from the 70s and on.

If things go bad...they're gonna go REALLY bad.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can actually believe Two Scoops cares about where this hurricane is going to land. The 2016 electoral map he tugs his dick to every night has the Carolinas red, so those people have value to him. Not as people of course but as the one, singular thing that matters; ego boosters.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Seems like the plan is to do a smash-and-grab now for trillions of dollars of wealth from the country to the financial elite, then all the Legislative rats flee the sinking ship on their golden parachutes to super cushy jobs and let the Judicial turbo loving keep it in place for their benefactors no matter what the peasants vote for. If the nation wide propaganda machine gives them a shot in another few election cycles try it all again, but they're getting while the getting's good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hey guys, a Republican politician is getting serious about bribery in politics!

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/12/17850180/susan-collins-crowdpac-kavanaugh-bribe-newsmax

lol it's only bad because the proletariat are doing it, that makes it real bribery!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

your country will go to any lengths to avoid spending one cent on helping people

it's loving mind boggling

The "They're here illegally, if you don't follow the rules you deserve child concentration camps" talking point will make me lose any inclination to consider a person worthy of respect or conversation. The whole god drat system is designed and under-funded specifically to make that as impossible as it can be, on the order of 14-20ish years and tens of thousands of dollars in lawyer fees, for the express purpose of making this talking point possible so the Republican base can be whipped in to their racist frenzy.

Staggering amounts of human misery and socially destructive policies explicitly for the purpose of keeping racist poo poo heads scared, angry and voting. There is zero reason from either a humanitarian or security purpose for it to take so long and be so expensive, it's purely because the Nazi death cult that is one of two political parties decided decades ago (before the leadership believed their own lies) they need it that way to exploit their base harder.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Kavanaugh just got me too’d

Link on this or something? It'd be great but I'm skeptical until I see some reporting. I also don't see the party of FAKE NEWS NO COLUSION giving a poo poo. Hope it's true though so there's a solid public case for packing the courts later.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Oh Republicans will absolutely not even bat an eye at "locker room talk" from so long ago for a righteous white upstanding man that has since learned his lesson and is being unfairly attacked anyway for something he didn't do. Still hopeful that there's lots more poo poo like that to fling at him and stick over him to make his name toxic to the general public and open up the possibility of packing the court.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Super looking forward to Manafort becoming a bad liar person who lies and doesn't tell truths about Strong Daddy Trump and how we should ignore the witch hunt about things that had nothing to do with the president's fabulous electoral win.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

just what in the hell kind of voodoo doll poo poo did Mueller pull on Manafort to get that kind of plea agreement out of him?

debriefings without a lawyer, give up all his crime loot, plead guilty to two more crimes, stay in prison until it's all done, I don't doubt some of that is typical plea agreement language but waiving counsel and forfeiting almost all his poo poo seems like they called him on a garbage hand and then laid down a flush right in front of him.

My personal feeling is that the guilty verdict bitch-slapped him with a dose of reality that finally broke through the rich white guy bubble he's lived in. As soon as that was pierced and someone laid out how thoroughly Mueller was deep dicking him and the ways in which a presidential pardon wouldn't help him he ended up where any intelligent, non-megalomaniacal person would have started.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I read a history of the KKK a long rear end time ago and one of the chapters covered how a lot of the stuff they did was in the exact same vein as the current ok sign stupidity. Divorced from the current societal values they have invested in the end product, much of their presentation was supposed to be ridiculous so they could do exactly what is happening with the ok sign. Over the top rituals, elaborate uniforms (even the pointy hood, when taken out of the modern context, was a ridiculous, over the top hood), titles like Grand Wizard. Sure they went for some straight up bigotry like burning crosses or out and out violence, but they had the exact same "lol I'm trolling you bro don't take everything so serious" smoke screen.

Everything old is new again.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
At this point it's about slinging more and more poo poo at Kavanaugh to make him look more like a disgusting excuse for a human being so that (if you have a sense of optimism) once Democrats take power they can say stuff like "They stole one seat and put a rapist on the other. Now they're loving up the country. It's time to fix this, and Republicans are still voting against removing him. Here's two more nominations."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That depends, what exactly are the goals and victory conditions of The Vagina Wars? Need some more details on this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

KirbyKhan posted:

Anyone got a screenshot or could communicate the jist? Looks like tweet got snatched back.

It was something like "we should look into the 996 plan for American industry, 9 am to 9 pm 6 days a week. It's done great things to economies!"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I never served and never ate an MRE but for all the actual vet goons who post in GIP, I need your thoughts.

MRE Pizza. Yay or Nay?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/us/army-pizza-mre-field-rations.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

I would say it depends on whether or not everything is stored together in one pouch or if the bread and sauce are seperate. Sounds like a terrible mushy mess if it's all together.

Either way I'd have a hard time accepting it's worse than the eggs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The vegetarian MREs were legit good tasting, not even just "good for an MRE." Spicy Penne Pasta supremacy, though I always had to trade for the jalapeno paste and the one special kind of bread-brick that I cannot remember the name of.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even that level of depravity is a shitload of restraint for the Pissbaby President. I'm curious if they're doing the three-year-old babysitting tactic of constantly distracting him with something else or if he's just dosed to the loving gills with Xanax or what. It's really uncharacteristic how little he has attacked her.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So Stupid Watergate is heading for Saturday Night Massacre 2? I'm ok with that as long as the ending is the same. If that poo poo goes down and Republicans shrug it off to pass another tax cut we're kinda mega-hosed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I just have to hold on to the hope that if Two Scoops goes full Saturday Night Massacre and starts (more) openly, brazenly firing people for investigating him that it will, finally, be the thing that causes fatal harm to his administration. I get that it's irrational, but it's one of the last bits of optimism I have left about anything going on.

So far the system has kinda held out and it feels like there's a dangerous form of balance to current events. As long as the plates keep spinning it doesn't seem permanent and unrecoverable. If they all hit the floor and there's a collective shrug before everyone moves on it feels like there's nothing positive left beyond that point, just the slow unwinding to the inevitable.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So how long before mainstream Republican rhetoric is that Democrats are a threat to the nation and for security purposes the law needs to disband the opposition party? That's absolutely where the deep state rhetoric is headed towards, just curious about the when.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So what you're saying is the obstructionist deep state Democrats are sabotaging the economy to make Bigly Strong Leader look bad despite his stable, genius brain economic wonder policies?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

Soon after, Senate Republicans issued renewed calls to accelerate the timing of a committee vote.

I mean seriously, does anything else need to be said besides what their own actions say about themselves?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Reality-tv grade D-list celebrity conman who has shown since the '80s that he is nothing but theatrical flair and has no substance behind anything he does or says bitches out on firing another person, in person?

Real shocker there.

Also a further shocker that the guy who used to call people impersonating his own public relations manager and leak over-the-top sensationalist drama to muddy up the waters on whatever topic he's making GBS threads himself about that day would leak a story about something as guaranteed to grab headlines as firing Rosenstein.

This is my shocked face.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

The 3% of the 30% who are hardcore Trumpland who still think rape is bad might be swayed to at the very least not vote. Trump continually defending a sexpest (other than himself) may swing 10k votes.

The margains aren't good enough where either party can afford to have voters not turn out.

Why would they bail on this after being OK with grabbing people by the pussy or pedophile senators? This is nothing new, it's just more of the same.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm kinda surprised there is not a subreddit or whatever trying to find anything there isn't a Trump tweet for. It's the perfect balance of obsessive self destructiveness and absurdist humor for 2018.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So is this the sexual assault flood gates situation starting up? Seems to be a bit of a pattern, like maybe we've seen this before.

What a tough spot the GOP put itself in, put a sex pest on the supreme court in the middle of the #MeToo time or cave and watch the rabid, baying hounds of bigoted poo poo heads they've carefully cultivated their base into tear them apart.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That Works posted:

Its also fun to go and be sympathetic with chuds and other internet-'conservatives' and mention things like that 'power should be returned to the blue collar workers' and that the 'little guy' should get to help decide how things get run and watch them go all "hell yeah that makes sense"

In a depressing way this one is fun, yeah. "Hey don't you think the people that have never done a day's work but were just born with money and spent it buying all the machinery you use to produce their wealth, getting paid more than you just for having money in the first place is kinda hosed up? Shouldn't the workers making the actual product make money for themselves?"

"Hell yeah, those assholes ain't never worked for nothing in their lives!"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So, uhh, Donnie Boy's presser today. That...well that was certainly a thing. Soooo, 25th for dementia anyone?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nick Soapdish posted:

Okay, so his Cabinet invokes the 25th, DJT gets his Doctor to say that he's the greatest, bigliest health. Now we are back at Square 1 and only 2/3 of the House and Senate can override his determination.

I just don't understand how people think the 25th will do anything in this situation

It'll never happen in the first place, so it was more of a joke about "holy poo poo that is without a doubt someone with dementia rambling on". Seriously, watch like ten minutes of that thing. Anyone who has had a loved one go through that can spot it a loving mile away and that's what our president is doing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not gonna toxx on it but $20 to the humane society works. If Republicans don't ramrod him through their base will flay them alive then piss on the wounds even if it's only a few "traitors". They're terrified of the Frankenstein's Monster base they've created and the supreme court has been promised to them for decades as the solution to all the gays, liberals, sluts, abortions and browns the politicians tell them have caused their problems. Their financial overlords also want the legal system they've paid for.

They'll eat the poo poo sandwich they've served themselves for the midterms, maybe even the next few elections, bail out on the think tank/policy advisor golden parachute for any that go down, and gerrymander/vote suppress their way into survival for as many as possible confident that they've got three or four decades of anything being fixed preemptively fist hosed with the judicial branch. Then they'll get in power once they've memory-holed how bad Dementia Donnie is and ride the merry-go-round again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm glad someone else caught that.

Holy poo poo, whoever set up that picture with a bunch of women behind him is loving on point.

Also Brett needs to go on a talent show with as much tap dancing as he is doing around the question of, "Should we have an FBI investigation?"

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 27, 2018

• Locked thread