Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
poo poo maybe that Cuban raygun is what hit the Trumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The National museum of Brazil (Museu Nacional do Rio De Janeiro) burned overnight. Cause of the fire seems uncertain, but the firefighters found hydrants that didn't work. Holy smokes what a tragedy. Maybe lost: Giant meteorites, the oldest human remains in the Americas, dinosaur skeletons, was biggest natural history museum in South America so probably halls full of stuffed rare birds and weird minerals, etc. The museum had been massively underfunded and overlooked by the government - seems crazy if they're trying to get tourism dollars.

BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-latin-america-45392668

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
https://mobile.twitter.com/ccadelago/status/1039476233313169408

:tinfoil:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Torrannor posted:

Because the hurricane will smash them into the houses, right? And they aren't high enough to offer real protection anyway?

First, describe the problem in terms of mass of sediment that you think a Cat 4 Hurricane parking over the Carolinas will move, and then consider that dumb little pile of sandbags in terms of a ratio to that total sediment mass.

Now, consider the amount of energy that the ocean is gonna convert to moving sediment around over the course of the next few weeks across the Carolinas and out to sea. Consider how much energy a hurricane has, within the context of the hurricane being a whole lot of water vapor, i.e. full of the latent energy that turned it from seawater into a giant America loving spinning cloud

To answer you, the sandbag might get dragged by seawater into causing physical damage, and the sea is probably gonna be plenty higher than that, but the sandbag wall just ignores by literal orders of magnitude the scope of the problem that homeowner is facing.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Heavy equipment operator, but the contract is natural gas distribution.

I used to drive a lot of forklifts, and I'm earning a degree in geology, can I get into something like this?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Also, those categories are based on wind speed. "Cat 3" is not descriptive of how much rain it's going to drop on the hog poo poo lagoons

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
When I was traveling around South America for vacation, I found it pretty interesting how many of the cars are non-US imports, including Chinese ones

like, Colombia is right the gently caress there. Oughta be nothing but bowties and blue ovals driving around down there

that soft power is long gone, buddy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

Uncle Billy's Atlanta-style BBQ

I'm making that face like the horny wolf in the cartoons where my eyeballs shoot out of my head

edit: :captainpop:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

M_Gargantua posted:

For the tangential emergency preparedness talk I've got these ration biscuits that are 6 to a pack @ 400 calories/biscuit that I got for $1 per pack. I've used them on road trips and they taste like lovely crackers but will make you not feel hungry for a few hours as long as you have a ton of bottled water to wash them down.

You can just take a bag of Doritos on a roadtrip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
https://mobile.twitter.com/rabrowne75/status/1045327595120865280

*Hands out medals

• Locked thread