Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Is Shadow of War any good, now that the microtransactions are out? It's on sale for 17$ this weekend, and the demo is 50GB.

A buddy at work let me borrow his disc copy and it's... Incredibly mediocre? I loved shadow of mordor but something about the sequel feels really off.

I never played it when the MTs were in but the flow of the combat just feels really bad compared to the original game. Maybe it gets better with more levels/skills or whatever, I don't know.

If you liked the first one I'd say check out the demo and see how you feel about it, <$20 is about what it's worth imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm so jealous of people playing Souls for the first time. Will you be able to do Demon's, as well?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my game of the month is heat signature which i bought yesterday. i don't think i understand the liberation or stations system yet but it's hotline ftl and it's good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
September Game of the Month is... Infocom's Wishbringer?!?!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

esperterra posted:

I'm so jealous of people playing Souls for the first time. Will you be able to do Demon's, as well?

I was going to get a PS3 eventually so sure

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

codenameFANGIO posted:

I was going to get a PS3 eventually so sure

Hellll yeah!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we have less than twelve and a half hours to decide on a name for the Halloween Harry Chat Thread

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

octoberpath traveler

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

october games chat thread: oddium is playing heat signature and also it's her birthday at some point

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Poniard posted:

octoberpath traveler

well that was quick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

my game of the month is heat signature which i bought yesterday. i don't think i understand the liberation or stations system yet but it's hotline ftl and it's good

Mine is MHGU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Or Splatoon 2 now I hit XXXX rank

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

suuma posted:

A buddy at work let me borrow his disc copy and it's... Incredibly mediocre? I loved shadow of mordor but something about the sequel feels really off.

I never played it when the MTs were in but the flow of the combat just feels really bad compared to the original game. Maybe it gets better with more levels/skills or whatever, I don't know.

If you liked the first one I'd say check out the demo and see how you feel about it, <$20 is about what it's worth imo

Aside from the microtransactions I think a big problem that game had was that it took a lot of what was great about Shadow of Mordor and exaggerated it and added more of it until it wasn't so great. Like in SoM it was an awesome and rare occurrence when you ran into an exceptionally goofy orc. In SoW it happened a ton and they all had annoyingly long intro sequences so it really lost its charm.

Also it was still way too easy. Even on the harder difficulty Talion is just too powerful for there to ever be real stakes to the fights.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Poniard posted:

octoberpath traveler

Octoberpath Chatterer

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

:hmmyes:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Octalibur chat thread

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
october chat thread: a tale of screams and scares, eternally retold

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I already told y'all next month's title is gonna be "October Chat: It was not by my hand that I was once again given breasts!"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

axelblaze posted:

I already told y'all next month's title is gonna be "October Chat: It was not by my hand that I was once again given breasts!"

this one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Kirby game you controlled entirely by tilting the game boy was an insanely good use of motion controls too bad nobody bought it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Octobette Fest

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

"Starting"? :v:

My PS4 has been broken for over a month. Last night I had a lucid dream where I was in The Witcher 3. I spent the whole time looking through cabinets and reading the in game books.

Whoever said that you can't read text in dreams is either fantastically wrong or my brain is very different. Column A, column B probably

That was like a batman cartoon episode about the madhatter, not science afaict

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

october games chat thread: oddium is playing heat signature and also it's her birthday at some point

Enjoy superannuating, my friend.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Aside from the microtransactions I think a big problem that game had was that it took a lot of what was great about Shadow of Mordor and exaggerated it and added more of it until it wasn't so great. Like in SoM it was an awesome and rare occurrence when you ran into an exceptionally goofy orc. In SoW it happened a ton and they all had annoyingly long intro sequences so it really lost its charm.

Also it was still way too easy. Even on the harder difficulty Talion is just too powerful for there to ever be real stakes to the fights.

Yeah, the combat wasn't hard at all, more just annoying than anything, at least for me. It sort of just dragged on and Talion feels less responsive somehow.

Like I fought 3 captains in a row that had big shields and whatever ability that lets them adapt to getting stunned so instead of doing that to stagger them and get in a few hits I ended up having to do weird poo poo like quickly climb a nearby wall and jump off with a stealth attack to do any damage. That took like an hour and was a slog.

I also have a sort of minor gripe about how they handled fitting Talion/Celebrimbors story into existing LOTR timeline but that's on me

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Enjoy superannuating, my friend.

Read that as supernutting at first.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You は shocktober chat thread: you dont even know you are already -ette

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

Read that as supernutting at first.

Chumbler you are my fav and i hope i dont embarrass you by saying so

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Bowsette took off for the same reason Daisy, Jolene, Rosalina, and Pauline did.

Peach is bad.

homeless snail posted:

I have a hard time reconciling it tbh, because even though I played one and a half of the new games my mental image of lara croft is still someone doing a front flip over top the head of a tiger while firing dual pistols into it

This is good, because the new Tomb Raider games are bad and the acrobatics of the old-Tomb-Raider are good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EdithUpwards posted:

Bowsette took off for the same reason Daisy, Jolene, Rosalina, and Pauline did.

Peach is bad.

They gave Peach five discrete nerfs in the last Mario Tennis Aces patch, it really hurt

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
My brother sums up hollow knight: "why does a game this cute have such rear end in a top hat bosses?"

gently caress you Grimm.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Klaus Kinski posted:

My brother sums up hollow knight: "why does a game this cute have such rear end in a top hat bosses?"

gently caress you Grimm.

The second Grimm fight is something that I tried a couple times before going "welp, guess I'm not doing that".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

gently caress you Grimm.

Grimm owns.

He's definitely an rear end in a top hat though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also his theme is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq8E_1LkoAc

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

axelblaze posted:

The second Grimm fight is something that I tried a couple times before going "welp, guess I'm not doing that".

He's really not as bad as he looks. He took quite a few tries to beat but he's super predictable, there are a ton of bosses that I killed alot faster but found more frustrating because they were so random.

And yes. Grimm owns. He can still go gently caress himself.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Reopen the Smash thread, you coward

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

Reopen the Smash thread, you coward

What happened to get the thread closed?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

horny

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

axelblaze posted:

What happened to get the thread closed?

Bowsette was too hardcore for the OP

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

There were like 5 Bowsette posts and then a few whiners throwing a tantrum about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ometeotl posted:

There were like 5 Bowsette posts and then a few whiners throwing a tantrum about it.

Sounds about right

• Locked thread