Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Its surprising how well these came out in 3D compared to even The Simpsons where it's like "how the gently caress do we model Lisa's hair and not look weird?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Capcom must've built Maximo Army of Zin on Devil May Cry's engine because he has the same moveset and can hulk out into Death.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Me: The Colonel talking about Ratchet and Clank makes me want to play the trilogy again

*5 minutes later*

Me: Camera controls are reversed by default burn this entire series to the ground

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This first game is still good as much as I dislike Ratchet's abrasive personality. It's also strange how weighty the game feels considering nearly every 3D platformer is about weighty, agile characters. Ratchet feels like he weighs 500lbs but it's okay because the game is more focused on action than precision.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I never thought about it before but R&C has the best hacking/lockpicking minigame because it's simple and unobtrusive.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Looper posted:

you should get paid for your commute

You should.

I've got an hour commute but it's basically on long stretches of farmland so I just play a podcast and cruise with the windows down.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I understand why Sega doesn’t want (or need to) waste the money onEnglish dialog but playing Yakuza for the first time in 2015 was a majestic experience for how poorly -yet sincerely - localized it is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Weird, Cosmic Star Heroine was listed on PSN for $0 last night and I bought it, have it downloaded on my PS4, and apparently this has happened before :shrug:

I guess I'll play it before Sony revokes it from my account.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

wild arms 3 has some of the best presentation of this stuff ive seen, the game doesnt start the opening animation and stuff until you actually load a save and if you save and quit it plays an ending animation, and after each major story arc the opening and ending change, so its like watching three seasons of an anime or something, really does a good job delineating parts of the story

And just like a good anime it's thrilling... until the last episode.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Metal Slader Glory is certainly the most impressive looking Famicom game but the dialog is painfully slow. Princess Tomato was smart enough to make dialog near instantaneous.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bentacos posted:

And the final bosses are mostly forgettable after 4.

Yeah I didn’t care for iv that much but Psaro in the remake is one of the greatest pixel animated enemies in video games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first Metal Gear has this great moment where Big Boss turns evil and starts directing you via codec to restart the game and run directly into pits. I wish they carried that over to MGS2 with the AI deliberately lying. At least MGS had the great torture scene and sure enough I gave up because I hadn’t saved since the ninja fight and replaying would mean Psycho, backtracking to get sniper, and fighting Wolf.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

In MGS all the girls will laugh at you if you're fighting the Hind-D with a Mono TV and not a Stereo one.

This will be repeated in Death Stranding where at one point Norman will break the fourth wall and chastise the player for not playing on a 4K TV.

I did not know this. A 20 year old game is still surprising me.

I’m still waiting for a “check the back of the cd case” and Norman shrugging his shoulders at what a cd case is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah but we're talking like super basic mechanics here like jumping and spindashing. It's like that one reviewer who spent a ton of time on the cuphead tutorial because he couldn't grasp that he had to press 2 buttons at once or whatever it was.

The great irony of classic Sonic is by design it wants you to take your time but everything about the game tells you to go fast. So if you duck down to spin dash while also holding forward Sonic will do a little spin until his momentum stops. But this spin lets you carry momentum while breaking through blocks so the whole higher level play is balancing Sonic's forward momentum.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Healbot posted:

It's not ironic having a balance of going fast and taking it slow lmao

It is because Sega of America wanted you to believe there's no slowing down. The first blurb on the back of the box is even SUPER SPEED. And SoA probably drives the entire vision for Sonic if not in the past then certainly now.

Sonic was never advertised for his speed in Japan, he's more of a smug rear end in a top hat who exudes confidence. The back of that box translates as "Screw the ordinary. I know what's important, so yeah, I'm pretty drat confidant."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

jak ii should be five hours shorter than it is cause now i'm getting into some of the extremely lovely late-game missions and i just want the game to end. i can't even imagine doing hero mode with a game this long and this bullshit

also it's weird that the keira subplot is just built on erol, who's entire character is being a weird slimy rear end in a top hat and someone who you've never seen in literally any other context, walking in and saying "jak i'm gonna murder you and gently caress your girlfriend" and then keira getting mad at jak for saying that erol is a bad guy

I like how Keira is behind a curtain for most of her story and doesn't recognize you because she's never heard Jak speak.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This guy is trolling. Don't try to juice a banana, you'll just ruin your juicer.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

lol Spiderman has ubisoft map-reveal towers and fast travel has to be unlocked

Why do you want to fast travel in a spider-man game?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Spider-Man, Spider-Man
Rides the bus with everybody, man

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

it was a very mediocre game

i'm still looking for ARPGs on the level of baldurs gate dark alliance, but aside from victor vran and the Ys games, that's not really PC's specialty (Xanadu Next comes close but is only partial controller support)

a really good one was shining force neo on ps2, despite having nothing to do with shining force. i might get EXA at some point because it's supposed to be basically more of the same

I'm one of the seven people that liked the Bards Tale action rpg.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Quiet Man looks like a game where the director said "I really loved the bouncer" on the toilet and some executive overheard it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Verranicus posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur was good and I'm sad we never got a sequel.

How many taxpayer dollars would you say is enough to make a worthy sequel?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

You know what I’ve come to dislike? 16- and 32-bit-era JRPG castles

Wild Arms strangely had the best castles. Dragon Quest as a series in general tends to have the worst. Like why is this friendly castle that’s not a dungeon have to be a pain in the rear end to navigate with maze-like passages and going from the roof to the balcony through the dungeons as the only way to access the kitchen?

I tend to prefer castles as dungeons but my faith wavered in Tales of Destiny’s castle that has this awful zodiac puzzle out of nowhere.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I miss the days of hating on Bobby Kotick whose biggest crime was not fellating nerd culture in 2009.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kotori Yoshimura who headed Asys is arguably the first openly transgender video game lead and developer and was fired from a bunch of studios for "health" reasons

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Andrast posted:

I'm watching some dumb microsoft training video about the evils of phishing or something that is structured like a drama series

it's really boring.

I wish I could share the Navy’s cyber security awareness training because it’s the greatest visual novel of all time

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Does it have a harem route?

Yes, but it's with your boss and he's the nerdy type who sits behind a desk all day

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I see Polygon finally got rid of their bizarre review process where the reviewer submits it to the editors who assign an arbitrary score based on how well the reviewer sold it to them.

Then again Polygon has reviewed like 10 games total in the past year. They've basically become an opinion page which is fine but Gamasutra offers a better environment for professionals and Medium offers a better environment for outsiders.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish ZoE 2 had more urban combat because that's what attracted me to the first game. There's a level where you have to minimize damage to your surroundings and you get loud screams when you toss enemies into buildings, and damage is permanent so when you backtrack to those areas you can see what areas got hit the hardest.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wildstar is one of the many games that would be cool if it wasn’t an mmo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The later Dragon Quest games all have someone you can talk to for a hint.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1037885601297588224

what the gently caress is wrong with people that this line even existed at any point in this game's life

The nature of memes is is that the context can get lost completely. I literally had no idea what "did you just assume my..." or "apache attack helicopter" was a reference to until the thing with CDP because I've seen bastardized version far more than the original in context.

I would give them the benefit of doubt because they responded immediately and without a half-hearted non apology.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

there is a character in bojack horseman named juda mannowdog

al-azad
May 28, 2009

*english class in the year 2118*

Now what did the author Anony Mous mean by "all your base are belong to us?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Hahaha is this for real you gotta be making GBS threads me.

loving polygon man.

Polygon posted:

Games are not scored until a review is written and finalized. Once a review is complete, the reviewer meets with a group of senior editors to determine which score on our scale properly reflects the text as written. We do not write with scores in mind.

Polygon's commitment to readers with regards to scores is as follows: You should not be surprised by the score you find at the bottom of the review you read. The score will be a logical afterthought to a well-developed opinion. And in consideration of those readers who don't care for scores, we have left them at the bottom of our reviews.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RIP mayor of steelport Burt-loving-Reynolds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's part cult of personality because this guy starred in all your dad's favorite movies, part memes as everyone confuses him with Tom Selleck, and part Burt-loving-Reynolds.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GUI posted:

The only thing I know about Burt Reynolds is that story from when he worked with Rockstar on a GTA game.

I love it when nerds get intimidated by 70 year old men.

The commentary on The Simpsons for the episodes with Kirk Douglas and Lawrence Tierney are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

IMPORTANT QUESTION: What form does the puff puff take in DQXI?

McDragon posted:

I started firing up the PS4 to download Spider-Man, and realised I just can't be hosed with how slow the PSN is any more. So I ordered a physical copy. It'll arrive tomorrow but probably still faster than a download would be. I'm going back to discs for the PS4 I think.

Put the PS4 in standby. Downloads occur at realistic speed that way.

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sgerdGijF4

The new mario party honestly seems... good?

- No car
- Boards are much smaller than usual
- Stars only cost 10 coins, items only cost 5-10
- There's a good amount of items that let you steal stars/coins
- Every character has their own specific dice they can roll instead of the standard dice block, if they so choose. Shy Guy's is a 0 and then nothing but 4s, instead of the 1-6 progression of a standard block, Bowser's is Lose 3 Coins, Lose 3 coins, 1, 7, 8, 9, for instance.
- You can get characters that weren't picked as buddies via items and certain spaces, or winning certain minigames, and that lets you use their dice
- Only two stars are given away at the end

Clearly the staff at Nintendo are now skewing younger so someone who probably had nostalgia of Mario Party N64 is like "why the gently caress do we keep making this gimmicky bullshit game even more gimmicky and bullshit?"

• Locked thread