Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
More like.. Blundertale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Underwhelmingtale.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Uaaaghh. So lately I've been dealing with my mom sending me loads of messages about how sick she is and what bad shape she's in back in Canada and it's been stressing me right out. Woke up to her telling me she may have diabetes and they talked about taking one of her legs or at least some sort of radical operation on top of all the poo poo she's had to deal with up til now and it was all I could do not to start sniffling like a baby right there. She has a small farm where she mostly just keeps the animals as pets (sells milk and eggs, says she'll sell calfs but I doubt she'd be willing to part with them) and it takes so much out of her to run it but she loves it, and I don't know what she'd do if she couldn't keep it because of health issues.

So yeah I'm here worrying and depressed and missing my mom and I get to look forward to my father-in-law making me feel like a useless poo poo at the family BBQ later today to just add on more. But hey, at least I've got video games. Been enjoying the Arc the Lad gacha and ESO a fair bit lately.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Sony: No Cross Platform Play Because PS4 Is Better Than Other Consoles

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

didn't that poo poo the bed hyper-hard

The game itself is fine and fun. Most of the controversy came from lack of content at launch compared to Destiny 1, and then another stumble during the first expansion. They've shaped up quite a bit, and honestly your only other option for a real MMOFPS would be Planetside 2 which has just as much if not more bad press around it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

dangit why am i sitting here bored insteada playin a game? :(

Choice paralysis?

Don't forget, Night in the Woods is secretly Trump propaganda!

https://medium.com/@BootlegGirl/night-in-the-woods-a-rebirth-of-graphic-adventure-games-and-trumpian-propaganda-in-disguise-34ef70e1ccf0

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

As usual, yeah. Miserable first world pain in the rear end, that.

I feel your pain. I thought my Backloggery would help me with it, but it just kinda made things worse. At least it's a tolerable problem to have in this lovely world of ours by comparison.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

I read a couple paragraphs and yikes that was super lovely and dumb.

The writer later went on to claim she was being attacked because she was trans and not because of the terrible article or something.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Ooh, ooh. New season of Overwatch comp started yesterday. I got banned from the last one because I stupidly kept trying to play during lovely weather and disconnected. I eagerly look forward to making people mad by playing off-meta characters well.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Sweet, I got out of the family BBQ by explaining I felt like poo poo and wanted to not be stuck out at my father-in-laws place if and when my mom texts me more about her serious illness and potential surgeries when she gets off work in an hour. I know for a fact that my father-in-law is going to be talking poo poo about me behind my back, saying I'm lying or something, but gently caress him. :shrug:

Going to chug through what I have left of Super Robot Taisen Alpha 3 today in the meantime so I can check it off my backlog for good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Whenever we go to an arcade or bar with one my wife and I dabble with the pinball machines but more often than not we spend all our time playing games like Sound Voltex, IIDX and Museca.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Overwatch is fun.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The only fun character in HOTS is Abathur because idiots constantly accuse you of being afk.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I like how scared and defensive the Anthem subreddit is after the dialogue news blew up. "Uhh uhh Bioware are expert devs guys TRUST THEM they know better than you" "Gosh stupid greedy gamers don't tell them how to make their game" "EA wouldn't kill such a big name studio"

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I mean on the one hand I think devs should make what they want to make, but on the other the sheer number of dumb dumbs crowing "why would you ASSUME BIOWARE was making another RPG???" and seeing them put all their eggs into this years-too-late Destiny clone with Iron Man suits makes me all but certain the company will either be shuttered when it fails to meet expectations or assigned to work on terrible mobile games down the road instead of actual big budget titles.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If nothing else all the worry about Anthem has convinced me to hurry up and finish what I want to do in The Old Republic because if the game tanks you know those servers are going down.

In unrelated MMO news, Tera is doing server merges (fine) but unlike pretty much every other MMO ever they're not letting players keep characters made on both servers if the number exceeds whatever limit the player has upgraded to, so they're actually telling players to delete their own characters to prepare. Not a good look at all and I honestly can't believe their PR people let that happen since I doubt any MMO would want to be known for being the first to do poo poo like that.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 2, 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

it's an MMO, there will be zero endings

Destiny 2, the game they're definitely not copying, technically had endings to the story campaign.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Chev posted:

"technically"? Were they perchance but-the-adventure-goes-on bullshit, as they'd probably need to be in a game that wants you to play expansions?

To be fair I only played the base game and the first expansion and their endings were no less vague/bad than a Mass Effect or Dragon Age ending where the big bad is dead but they have to leave it open to future content. There are a lot of reasons to hate on Destiny 2 but I never felt like that was one of them since every game/TV show/movie does it.

Like they're all *Heroes together after final battle looking tired but victorious, looking over a vista* and then right before or after the credits a stinger where they tease the next big bad.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

The Moon Monster posted:

Having to pick a server when you create a character just seems outdated and lovely these days. It always seems to cause problems.

Tera is a pretty old game at this point. I still think what they're doing is laughably stupid though. Server merges are a way of life in aging MMOs but the last thing you want to do is piss off the altaholic whales that have stuck with your game for that long thanks to having so many characters.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Chev posted:

I'm afraid those weren't very good endings either.

Maybe not, but they were still endings. I expect Anthem to do something like Mass Effect 2's ending.

Infinitum posted:

How To Lose Subs And Alienate Players
:chanpop:

I have to assume they just don't care about the NA playerbase at this point because yikes, who could think it was a good idea??

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

If En Masse Entertainment were smart they would handle it like Bioware does for Star Wars the Old Republic, where you choose which characters to have disabled until you buy the necessary character slots.

Yep. As someone with like 30 TOR characters this is acceptable. Hell, some games just let you keep playing all the characters without even disabling them. This is the most backwards handling of a merge I've ever seen.

It's almost worse that they're telling the players to delete them rather than doing it themselves too. Like, "pick which of your children die".

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

chumbler posted:

"PS If you spent money on them thanks! But you're not getting that back."

Oh yeah, Tera doesn't have account-bound unlocks does it? So gently caress you if you have cash shop purchases spread across your characters. Jesus. It feels like it should be well known enough how to keep a F2P game in maintenance mode these days with so many doing it, is En Masse known for being dumb?

I expect poo poo like this from NCSoft and that's about it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

I remember this. :unsmith:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I asked this on Reddit earlier this week, but I'd be curious to hear goon takes: What MMOs do you think are most likely to bite the dust next?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

codenameFANGIO posted:

I hope all of them

Aw, come on. MMOs are fun.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

Chunsoft's weird Wii FMV game also comes out on Tuesday

https://store.steampowered.com/app/648580/428_Shibuya_Scramble/

poor planning since I already am gonna buy DQ11 and I imagine so are a lot of other people who'd otherwise be interested

This just.. does not look good to me. I'm clearly not the target audience. DQ11 on the other hand, :yeah:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

A. Beaverhausen posted:

This gives me such bad Fallout 4 vibes. Oh well, I've never been hyped for Anthem, but I was looking forward to Dragon Age. RIP Bioware

I'm still surprised every day that Wildstar is still running

Yeah, what a shame that game turned out to be. I liked the character art style a lot.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I was tricked by the charming trailers. It made City of Heroes demise easier to swallow, then it actually came out.

E: the Wildstar thread here on SA was something else. It turned into a hilarious mock thread with one masochistic (but really nice) dev who kept coming back.

I remember that. They had that Shmorky cartoon dog in the burning house as an avatar. Good times.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I only play Torb or Junk.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
BoI has been garbo for years now.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Nappy Time

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I thought the guns in Destiny 2 all felt pretty unique and impactful actually. Some of them were a blast to use like the little minigun type things.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, even when i was playing it i never actually did any of the highest end content because it's literally mandatory you create a premade group of either 3 or 6 people to do any of it and i only have a couple of friends who were even playing destiny 2 and generally not at the same time.

You can run endgame stuff like dungeons and raids with random people.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I hope VR is a fad and dies soon because I can't do anything VR-related without becoming violently nauseous or coming away with a mindkilling migraine.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

speaking of, a couple of partygoers at the place i was hanging out this weekend put on david cronenberg's eXistenZ to watch and i only caught bits and pieces of it but it looked like a hoot and a holler.

It's a good movie.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Uhh, how does Valve think it's game is going to survive when up against free games with massive established communities that let you earn stuff by playing??

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Speaking of collaborations this gacha I play is doing one with Persona 5 and it changed all the UI/music to be Persona 5 themed and I was real confused before I realized what was happening.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Had a series of particularly rough comp matches in Overwatch with this same doofus on the enemy team every time, and for whatever reason he latched onto poo poo talking me despite my not having said anything more than "glhf" or "gg" the whole time. Last match came along and we steamrolled his team, though he was still doing pretty good, and I just threw an offhanded "was X guy throwing the match? sorry guys" at the enemy team and the dude lost his mind.

All caps spam, threatening to fight me IRL, spamming me with friend requests when the match was done. Felt good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Relax Or DIE posted:

so when do you fight him

Summer Slam 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Torchlight 1 and 2 were good. Not sure why they decided to make the new one an MMO.

• Locked thread