Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Someone gifted this to me back when it came out and I played through it twice and what I remember the most other than the crashes and bugs were the over half dozen literally unfinished cutscenes where the game would suddenly play a video file with a loud noise and the text CUTSCENE IN PROGRESS over a static white background in all caps before kicking you to the next level or crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rarity posted:

I got tired of Ridge Racer 7 so I had a crack at Resistance: Fall of Man and god drat this difficulty is ridiculous. I'm on standard difficulty and I can't get more than ten minutes into the game without dying because there's no regenerating health and no health packs. The hell?

There's health packs and regenerating health after the prologue/tutorial. iirc the former are pretty rare though and I remember it being decently challenging even on Normal back in the day even if some sections were bullshit. Too bad the franchise's campaigns went downhill after that one. R1 was a pretty fun classic FPS with console sensibilities, R2 was a COD rip-off with a tiny health pool (almost everything kills you instantly), 2 weapon limit and regenerating health and while R3 was an improvement it took a ton of inspiration from HL2 so I recall it having quite a few chapters that try to shoehorn in some gimmick if the game isn't forcing you to stand somewhere while someone talks to you incessantly.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Ghost Babel being its own thing branching off the original Metal Gear is what makes it one of the better MG titles in terms of narrative. Kojima and co. should've played with alternate continuities (Acid, Ghost Babel, the infamous Snake's Revenge) more instead of tying the franchise to 7+ entries of convoluted nonsense.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The only thing I know about Burt Reynolds is that story from when he worked with Rockstar on a GTA game.

quote:

Nothing prepared them for their visit with Burt Reynolds, who played Avery Carrington, a real estate mogul in the game. Since the guys had grown up on the actor’s campy and macho classics – Smokey and the Bandit, Deliverance – they were psyched to work with him. Reynolds showed up ready to work and be treated like a star. Khonsari could see the disdain in his eyes, the attitude so many other actors copped about the medium. “They look at you like ‘Who the gently caress are you?’” he recalled, “‘You’re game guys.’” Khonsari had no qualms about putting actors in their place. “If you want me to break it down to you,” he’d say, “these games gross over half a billion dollars, more than all of your movies put together!”

Yet with Reynolds, he lost his nerve. Khonsari recalled how, after Reynolds cut his scene, Dan asked politely for another take. “Hey,” Dan said, “can you say that line again?”

Reynolds stared him down and muttered, “Say that again?”

“Can you do the line again?” Dan repeated.

“You know, you need to give people an ‘atta boy.’”

“An ‘atta boy’?”

“Yeah, people do something good, you gotta give them an ‘atta boy.’”

Khonsari and Dan shifted uncomfortably, having no clue what Reynolds was talking about at first—then realized he wanted a bit of acclaim before he did anything again. He wanted a “that a boy.” They redid the line, but Khonsari thought that Reynolds’s attitude only got worse. The studio grew hot, so hot he was sweating through his clothes. Unbeknownst to Reynolds, his manager had gone out to buy him a dry shirt. When the shirt arrived, Dan innocently approached Reynolds. “Oh, your shirt’s here,” he said.

Reynolds didn’t know the shirt was coming and must have thought Dan was insulting him for being sopping wet. “There’s going to be two hits here,” Reynolds told him, “me hitting you and you hitting the floor!”

Dan flipped, ready to cut Reynolds out of the game entirely. Khonsari intervened. “We got the performance,” he told Dan. “He’s a total cock, but let’s move on.”

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

put sunset overdrive on steam, cowards

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

Good morning friends. Today I am going to play Wolfenstein: New Order and probably Etrian Odyssey Untold, because games where you have to draw maps are extremely cool and I love them. With Wolfenstein I have gotten into the trap of getting all the collectibles and reaching Platinum/100% Completion, because those things satisfy me immensely and they seem easy enough to do. I am tired of the dumb cutscenes which have to play at least partially to cover up loading but I am at 74% and I have unlocked a mode with infinite ammo and absurdly overcharged health on the hardest mode so I am pumped to see what else unlocks. Solving even a cheap math puzzle to get the unlocks is actually pretty cool and feels sort of like you’re actually breaking a code. Unlocking Perks by doing cool poo poo is also really satisfying. They really went out of their way to make you feel cool for accomplishing stuff, I like it.

I have Old Blood and New Colossus queued up and then I actually have a PS2 Wolfenstein and one for 360 (apparently just called “Wolfenstein” :geno:) and maybe I will play those after I get all the sidetrophies in Arkham City. If anybody read all of that and somehow has opinions on those other Wolfenstein games, please let me know.

Thank you for reading my video game opinions blog.

All Wolfenstein games are good.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'd give her Chun-Li's thighs tbh

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I've been thinking heavily about buying Tomb Raider III (2018): 3rd times the charm but the leaked IGN german review says they cut down the combat which was the only remotely fun thing about 1 (and even then it was nothing impressive) and I don't trust the developers to have improved on the babbys first platforming which just like Uncharted is only there to pad out playtime. Some of the puzzles in 2 were decent though which was the only good thing about it, so who knows.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I liked that part in TRLegend where Lara makes a giant screen fall on a group of mercs and quips something like "maybe they'll read a book for once!" nuLara would probably make a dead inside comment about how it reminds her of her dad or something.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

if she doesn't use two guns in the new game burn this series to the loving ground

quote:

Lara Croft’s signature look, prior to the reboot trilogy, had her prominently flaunting dual pistols. In the reboot and its sequel, however, she has been seen with a bow. With Shadow of the Tomb Raider expected to cap off the trilogy, many have wondered if this game will depict the transition of the new Lara to the old one, with her taking o the dual pistols at some point or the other in this game.

Well, that won’t be happening in this game, at the very least. Speaking to the Official Xbox Magazine, Tomb Raider director Dan Bisson has shot down the possibility of that happening within this trilogy.

“No. I don’t want that,” he said. “For us this is her defining moment. We’re not going to put her in shorts with double-pistols, wearing a bikini — that’s not what this is. […] It’s because the twin pistols have an iconic thing about them. For this trilogy – not saying anything about later on, I don’t know about the future titles – but for this trilogy, the bow is still her signature weapon.”

He does seem to suggest that that moment may come in later games, but that also means that for fans who were hoping for it in this one, this news comes as disappointing. Unless he is explicitly lying because he wants the element of surprise maintained in this game.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider launches on September 14 for PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

Men getting mad they cant go to a panel about a topic they hate is peak 2018 goodness

The Guild Wars 2 debacle, the transphobic Cyberpunk 2077 twitter joke, the possibly transphobic and anti-immigration jokes in the Doom Eternal demo 4channers are jerking off to, everything that's going on at Riot, the shooting at the Madden tournament, EA recently cowering to the "a woman with a prosthetic arm in my Hollywood war videogame" crowd. Video games are on a roll this year.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rarity posted:

What happened with the EA thing?

They very recently said they were toning down the "wacky" cosmetic options for Battlefield V obviously referring to the complaints about that soldier with the prosthetic arm in the announcement trailer not realising that most of the people complaining about it are angry that people with disabilities are being represented in some way (no different than the complaints about women and poc) and are using the excuse of ~~their immersion~~ as cover.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

babypolis posted:

yeah that just makes the fascist overtones more blatant. its not hard to find some pepe guy saying basically the same thing about germany letting refugees in or whatever the gently caress

like werent we just talking about how incredibly racist gamers are a few pages ago? and now everyone finds the idea of a fash game writer inserting some fash jokes into their game completely unbelievable?

It's a sequel to a game the internet adored. You'll get snark from people who think liking it makes them a bad person because of some questionable dialogue.

Wolfenstein 2*'s advertising and some dialogue/collectibles in the game went all the way with the dogwhistling making fun of modern fascism, so after that bombed I'm not surprised Zenimax is trying the opposite. No ethics in capitalism and so on.

* and even then that game gives up on any attempts at commentary after a handful of cutscenes and devolves into a tale of American exceptionalism :allears:.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

not to boil this kettle back over again but you should probably read the rest of the conversation

I just read through everything posted in this thread since then and I'll just say that whatever people think of Doom 2016's writing a lot the lore and incidental dialogue was done by outside contractors who don't even work for id as is usually the case with franchises where the plot is secondary (eg every Dishonored game) so don't be surprised if the approach for the sequel is different even if it tries to keep the same tone since there's a good chance they've gotten someone else.

Zenimax's marketing must be giddy about this since it's given the game some slight controversy and more attention. No one in the year 2018 is going to be shocked by the satanic imagery, but add in some lines of dialogue that use extremely similar language and phrases to what bigots have been using online and in real life for years and watch that free publicity come rolling in. Articles, twitter, youtube, reddit, my shitposting. Well done.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's been a couple major releases lately and among those a bunch of B-games have come out that no one's paid attention to. It's disappointing that Immortal: Unchained (which has a grand total of 0 reviews on Metacritic) is supposedly extremely mediocre, I was sort of hoping for a decent TPS take on the Souls genre.

There's also Strange Brigade which seems like an alright L4D inspired game by the developers of Sniper Elite. I might actually be getting that soon whenever I get bored of playing through the Devil May Cry games on the Xboner.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

GameSpot's review of the new Tomb Raider almost killed my desire to bother with it. The second game was already bloated enough but they doubled down on it.

quote:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider adds so many more pieces to the formula of previous games, but there are also so many little things that it just doesn't quite land. The game's obsession with collecting crafting materials has only become more profuse--there are now 21(!) different items to gather--causing everything to seem less valuable and the act of gathering them to be more of a chore.

:shepicide:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

All I know about Spider-man is that he's a menace and the new game coming out made everyone on Ebay and Amazon jack up the price of that average Amazing Spider-man 2 game that came out years ago for PS4/Xboner and was delisted from digital stores and went out of print once Activision lost the license which is a shame because I curiously wanted to check it out and even bought the Xbox One version when it was 20 bucks last year but the Ebay store seller got confused and sent me a new copy of Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped instead and I was like "eh I loved Crash Bandicoot as a kid so I'll keep it" and never bothered getting it replaced/requesting a refund.

That's my story about Spider-man.

GUI fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 11, 2018

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

It's weird looking back at box art from the PS1 era and seeing just how much of a selling point time to completion was. Like, no RPG was worth a drat if it clocked in under 60 hours for a playthrough.

And now people are clamoring for games to be as concise and trimmed down as possible, as time has become more valuable than money for a lot of the gaming population.

Where? Because 30+ hour open world games sell the most and linear 8-15 hour ones are dead and when they do come out they usually bomb - in the case of AAA at least. Outside vocal minorities in hardcore forums I don't see it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

I have photographic evidence Lara is disgusted by the mere thought of graves actually

These photo mode expressions are going to be great.

https://www.pcgamer.com/turn-a-grim-nightmare-into-an-awkward-vacation-with-shadow-of-the-tomb-raiders-photo-mode/

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I remember Luigi's Mansion 2 having a ton more puzzles than the first and not enough ghost hunting and finding it pretty middling because of that (and the on rails boss), but it's been years since I played it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Today is one of those days where I'm so bored and have so little to do that I spend hours refreshing this forum and Youtube while listening to The Immortals' Mortal Kombat soundtrack.

He's tall and fast 'cause he flies
The superman with eternal life
So clean, he's all dressed in white
The warrior with the endless fight

Forces of lightning, power in the sky
The thunder warrior, he's got no eyes
He fights with intensive lust
He turns his foe into a pile of dust

Eternal life, we all know he's not afraid
'Cause Raiden cannot die
Eternal life, he lives in thunderclouds
And comes down from the sky

:shepface:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1042107684483416064

On one hand it sucks people are losing their jobs but on the other hand the Vancouver office did not get how to make a good DR game at all and massively hosed up. The Capcom Japan guys are doing way better work than the NA branches are.

That sucks, I had fun with 3 and 4 even if they weren't as good as the previous ones. I was under the impression that they were working on DR5 which had received a budget cut after 4 bombed, but if that was ever true then I guess it's been scrapped.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Chef boss fight introduced me to Celldweller so I'll always be fond of Dead Rising 2 for that reason alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

What’s Celldweller?

It's a one man band that had quite a few songs appear in Dead Rising 2 (and that downloadable 5 dollar prequel it had). iirc 3 had one of his songs too.

When Dead Rising 4 came out and I found they didn't license his music again and couldn't even get Lifeseeker, the genius behind this famous song either I knew it was all over for the franchise.

• Locked thread