Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's deliberate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

baka kaba posted:

"needs reading" so people see our most celebrated, top-flight interviewers are pish

at least paxman just repeated the question over and over instead of giving the impression some kind of dialogue was taking place

If he was imagining it as a dialogue he should have kept on going. "If you are committed to not having a hard border, and no deal means that you would have to add a hard border, does that mean that you are going to cancel Brexit if you can't negotiate a deal?" is the obvious next line. Just start putting words in her mouth and make her explain the difference.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Julio Cruz posted:

e: it's 3 down

(forgive my truly awful handwriting)

As another of the ukmt's 97 trans people, like on the one hand this is almost quaint in how behind it is compared to the newer state-of-the-art abuse terms for trans people that all the modern bigots are using. But also, actually printing this is incredibly tone-deaf and awful. It's not a word I'm happy with people using, personally.

For those not aware of internet trans chat, the Sunday Times has managed to establish a special reputation for being particularly obsessed with printing very-reasonable-and-decorous screeds against trans people every week, so it's really not got much benefit of the doubt to be playing with here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

As another of the ukmt's 97 trans people, like on the one hand this is almost quaint in how behind it is compared to the newer state-of-the-art abuse terms for trans people that all the modern bigots are using. But also, actually printing this is incredibly tone-deaf and awful. It's not a word I'm happy with people using, personally.

For those not aware of internet trans chat, the Sunday Times has managed to establish a special reputation for being particularly obsessed with printing very-reasonable-and-decorous screeds against trans people every week, so it's really not got much benefit of the doubt to be playing with here.

I mean, it’s not just the word - the cryptic clue makes it even worse. Whole load of plausibly-deniable bigotry that I’m sure someone was very proud of.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Scikar posted:

If he was imagining it as a dialogue he should have kept on going. "If you are committed to not having a hard border, and no deal means that you would have to add a hard border, does that mean that you are going to cancel Brexit if you can't negotiate a deal?" is the obvious next line. Just start putting words in her mouth and make her explain the difference.

I mean I said "at least paxman just repeated the question" but looking back at it, Marr's literally repeating what he said every time - it's just there's a slight variation so it sounds like a response to what May said, so they're just going around and around and around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-7mQhSZRgM&t=17s

yeah:

Namtab posted:

It's deliberate

I mean for all James OOOOOO'Brain's faults, at least on... ~HARD TALK~ or whatever he did challenge people and nail them to the wall a bit. I think too many of them feel like they're part of Westminster society, and it's rude to do more than look a bit stern, or you might not be invited out for brandies

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

baka kaba posted:

chuck chequers checker checks chuck chequers and checks chuck chequers chucking chuck chequers. checkmate chequers

How much chequers could a chequers chuck if a chequers could chuck chequers?

quote:

Cryptic crossword chat

Once in 2006 I got the answer to a cryptic crossword clue ("son in law"), which was both the first and last time No doubt in six months or so when we're all looking for hobbies that can be done by candlelight and don't burn too many precious calories, I shall attempt a second.

Seriously I'm very envious of people who can make head or tail of them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
can't manage a pissup in a brewery Tory Conference chat:

Just saw this:

https://ico.org.uk/about-the-ico/ne...e-app-incident/

quote:

ICO statement in response to Conservative Party conference app incident
Share(Opens Share panel)
Date
29 September 2018
Type
Statement
An ICO spokesperson said:

“We are aware of an incident involving a Conservative Party conference app and we will be making enquiries with the Conservative Party.

“Organisations have a legal duty to keep personal data safe and secure. Under the GDPR they must notify the ICO within 72 hours of becoming aware of a personal data breach, if it could pose a risk to people’s rights and freedoms.”

Bet nothing happens though.

:bahgawd:

Edit: Also just found this very detailed twitter thread on the app and other tory privacy matters:

https://twitter.com/PrivacyMatters/status/1046074174102532097

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 1, 2018

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They had apps in the renaissance?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Namtab posted:

It's a French conservative outfit of some sort.

Don't know if this is related to the app:

"kickstart a "French renaissance""

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180101/macron-vows-french-renaissance-in-2018

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 1, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Namtab posted:

How do you think they managed to burn all those heretics without Tinder?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Feudalr

Swipe left to get sacked by your Lord's soldiers and starve, swipe right to die of the plague at the ripe old age of 12

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

Pochoclo posted:

Feudalr

Swipe left to get sacked by your Lord's soldiers and starve, swipe right to die of the plague at the ripe old age of 12

Fun fact: that is already a thing

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Catboy Autonomist posted:

I mean, I said as much in a subsequent post

The thing I said isn't actually something that happened to my knowledge, its just more of a hypothetical thing that I could see happening at the time that I'd compare to this

Ofc, the other example seems to be an actual anecdote....

Yeah.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Julio Cruz posted:

e: it's 3 down

(forgive my truly awful handwriting)

What's a Sngmalc? :v:

Phonetically Snugmalch I guess. Wasn't that the thing living in the Hogwarts basement?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Personally as a trans girl I find shemale to be the most offensive trans slur out there. Seeing the Times using it just hilariously predictable though.

Also why are we still having September chat in October? Get yo' poo poo together OP :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gum posted:

are you sure that wasnt just a sneaky way of ensuring that they only hired tories?

It's the UK establishment in the 1940s, opening it up to people who hadn't been to Eton was practically communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Also why are we still having September chat in October? Get yo' poo poo together OP :colbert:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870248

• Locked thread