Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Train robberies were more contemporary to them than The Fast and the Furious is to us.

They were stealing DVD players in that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Train robberies were more contemporary to them than The Fast and the Furious is to us.

We don't know what kind of media player they were trying to steal in The Great Train Robbery though. Could have been Betamax machines or something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wax cylinders and stereographs

gently caress, now I want to see this

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

And VHS players.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alhazred posted:

And VHS players.

I don’t recall that, but I have only ever watched it as a sequence of two-minute clips on Twitter, so I may be wrong.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I don’t recall that, but I have only ever watched it as a sequence of two-minute clips on Twitter, so I may be wrong.

Imagine outing your own ignorance like this. Shameful

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Robert Peary had one of history’s greatest moustaches, and I would like to share it with this thread.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Platystemon posted:

Robert Peary had one of history’s greatest moustaches, and I would like to share it with this thread.

good job with those stray hairs lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I was kinda wondering if the swirl was intentional or not

How did these people do this

Like without being uncomfortable growing it out, and not wanting in your mouth or food

My experience with the moustache

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jun 9, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like without being uncomfortable growing it out, and not wanting in your mouth or food

ive been wondering the same thing, and i think i saw someplace that they had like hairnets, but for mustaches. basically a lil strap/net-thing you could tie around that kept your stash in order when sleeping

but still, they had mirrors. at least do something about those wild ones

e: maybe hes drunk as hell in the photo and did a quick fixup and nobody wanted to say anything

e2: everybody was high on ether

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He learned the secrets of the walrus.

Carthag Tuek posted:

ive been wondering the same thing, and i think i saw someplace that they had like hairnets, but for mustaches. basically a lil strap/net-thing you could tie around that kept your stash in order when sleeping

The guy kept journals that probably cover it at some point, but I’m going to declare that he didn’t have to do anything special. He might have used a pomade especially in polar conditions, but his moustache was long and curly enough that the hairs kept each other in check.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

his moustache was long and curly enough that the hairs kept each other in check.

but they didnt. the left (his right) goes toward his ear, the right (his left) goes kinda down

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tbf it might be the coriolis effect

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean my main question is this- I can grow a huge mustace. It's gotta be cut before the lips bc it will be grossly in my mouth, bits of food will get stuck in it, this is not handsome

How did the 19th and 20th century fancylads live with these fancy enormous staches and not feel and look disgusting constantly?

The sandwich I ate tonight does not fit in that man's mouth without half being in the stache.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe he doped it with iron so that it could serve as an emergency compass.

I think that this first photograph is evidence that he did at at least sometimes wax, oil, or grease it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh ya no idea what you eat with a stash like that. i grew one for fun when were masked and i had to preen it at least weekly to avoid getting hairs tween my teeth

i guess if every single hair is long enough to comb aside it works, but until then youre not in a good place

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The secret to growing a mustache is patience and restraint. And various helpful accessories.

Also also a pandemic when you're trapped indoors with nothing much else to do.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Edwin S. Porter made The Great Train Robbery (1903) Widely considered one of the earliest and most influential narrative films.

It's also interesting to modern audiences because outlaws robbing trains was still a contemporary thing in 1903 and 13 years from the last stagecoach robbery which is was the symbolic end of the Wild West.

Butch Cassidy died in 1908, he could have seen this film.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Butch Cassidy died in 1908, he could have seen this film.

Wyatt Earp died in 1929

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also also a pandemic when you're trapped indoors with nothing much else to do.

honestly its my go-to

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

When Kubrick filmed a huge battle in Spartacus, the extras were assigned numbers as it would be impossible to memorize all their names.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

How hard could it be to remember one name :confused:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean my main question is this- I can grow a huge mustace. It's gotta be cut before the lips bc it will be grossly in my mouth, bits of food will get stuck in it, this is not handsome

How did the 19th and 20th century fancylads live with these fancy enormous staches and not feel and look disgusting constantly?

The sandwich I ate tonight does not fit in that man's mouth without half being in the stache.

Presumably people of this kind used a lot of cutlery and ate foods cut into small portions. And ate very slowly. And had napkins handy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Revolting meal-habits involving moustaches have been joked about for a long time

quote:

Things irritated him acutely, which before he had accepted as inevitable—his Uncle Donald's moustache, for instance, and its owner's habit of employing it during meals as a sort of zareba or earthwork against the assaults of soup.
“By gad!” thought Ginger, stopping suddenly opposite Devonshire House. “If he uses that damned shrubbery as soup-strainer to-night, I'll slosh him with a fork!”

-The Adventures of Sally
P. G. Wodehouse, 1921

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Presumably people of this kind used a lot of cutlery and ate foods cut into small portions. And ate very slowly. And had napkins handy.

They also had mustache spoons:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I assume the photo is for illustrative purposes and all, but now I'm going to pretend that those spoons are for keeping your mustache clean while you dribble soup down the front of your suit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The worst is blowing your nose with a moustach. Bleh.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Also, use beard oil to soften the itchy hairs during the first weeks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

prolly well-known to everyone here but this is saved on my phone and always makes me chuckle

Looks like it was taken in a game of Civilization instead of real life, plus the guy on the right being enthusiastic vs the guy on the left slouching and frowning like "why are we entertaining this larper"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
One is catholic and the other protestant

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Reverse of a 1511 draft of a letter from Swedish regent Svante Nilsson to arch bishop Jakob Ulfsson. Nilsson's chancellor Peder Jakobsson has drawn a trollish figure captioned Niels Slukenlort, which can be translated as Niels Glutton-poo poo. Possibly a reference to a scribe called Niels Skrivare (Niels Scribe) who is mentioned on other letters.

Src: Retsö, D. (2019). Sturearkivets väg till Danmark. Historisk Tidsskrift, 119(1), 119:1, 25–58. https://tidsskrift.dk/historisktidsskrift/article/view/115548

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Jun 14, 2023

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Carthag Tuek posted:

Reverse of a 1511 draft of a letter from Swedish regent Svante Nilsson to arch bishop Jakob Ulfsson. Nilsson's chancellor Peder Jakobsson has drawn a trollish figure captioned Niels Slukenlort, which can be translated as Niels Glutton-poo poo. Possibly a reference to a scribe called Niels Skrivare (Niels Scribe) who is mentioned on other letters.

Src: Retsö, D. (2019). Sturearkivets väg till Danmark. Historisk Tidsskrift, 119(1), 119:1, 25–58. https://tidsskrift.dk/historisktidsskrift/article/view/115548

In Swedish sluka still means eat and lort means dirt or poo poo. So possibly poo poo-eater?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I read the first part as sluken the adjective, ie gluttonous or greedy

https://www.saob.se/artikel/?seek=Sluken&pz=1#U_S6727_52184

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Niels Poopgobbler

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

199. If anyone have intercourse with a pig or a dog, he shall die.

If a pig spring upon a man for intercourse, there is no punishment.

Let's get something straight. It's not my fault my son touched those clowns. He broke the golden rule: Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Apologies for Huge.

Mental hospital near South Auckland, 1972. (Open new window for full res)

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Jaguars! posted:

Apologies for Huge.

Mental hospital near South Auckland, 1972. (Open new window for full res)

where was it?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Carthag Tuek posted:

but they didnt. the left (his right) goes toward his ear, the right (his left) goes kinda down

That's fairly standard. Mine has been (at times) as big as his (it was longer, during the pandemic) and it does the same. Pain in the arse, even decent wax won't stop that from happening.

I've got myself a cup with a lid for coffee, but the worst is beer. Can't stop that foam going everywhere.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Normal folk move home like this.

Newfoundlanders - with access to cod blubber - move home like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-04fQRBSzgE&t=218s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Kingseat. I was working in the area and was curious about the nearby staff settlement so I looked up the aerials on retrolens. There's about 10 high detail ones of the hospital grounds that must have been ordered specially.