Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maori soldiers performing a haka in 1941 for the king and queen of Greece after escaping from Crete to Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Jaguars! posted:

Kingseat. I was working in the area and was curious about the nearby staff settlement so I looked up the aerials on retrolens. There's about 10 high detail ones of the hospital grounds that must have been ordered specially.

Oh it's Spookers! I see

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Alhazred posted:

Maori soldiers performing a haka in 1941 for the king and queen of Greece after escaping from Crete to Egypt.

That must've scared those Cretans.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Rubber was a scarce resource in wartime Finland so bikes could have "tires" made from wooden blocks when no proper tire was available.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Dutch also did this.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The Germans did that twice

A: Steel sheets (1916-1919)
B: Steel springs (1916-1919)
C: Kork (um 1945)
D: Rubberblocks (um 1945)
E: Gummi-Muffenauflage (um 1945)
F: Springs and solid Rubber (um 1945)
G: Springs and solid Rubber (um 1945)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I don't suppose cork wood lasts very long against the abrasive asphalt and rocky paths.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cinema critic and author Antti Lindqvist (right) and Bruce Le on a rooftop in Cannes (1982):

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jan 5, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

did he write a bad review lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like his belt buckle. I also love Audi

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Bruce looks great for a guy who's been dead for 9 years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Bruce looks great for a guy who's been dead for 9 years.

gently caress I'm stupid. It is, indeed, not Bruce Lee but Bruce Le.

e: He doesn't even loving look like Bruce Lee lmao.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

whats with the pinyin in the intro being way more different from the romanization in the infobox than i would expect? i can see Xiǎolóng and Kin-lung being the same syllables, but and Wong?

intro text:
simplified Chinese: 吕小龙
traditional Chinese: 呂小龍
pinyin: Lǚ Xiǎolóng

infobox:
Wong Kin-lung (黃建龍)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wow they really did a makeover on him for the band.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

imo its unfair to give the guy an AR-15 when hes fighting a Katana*

* Translator's note: it means Japanese Sword

he would at least neat and AR-16 or -17 imo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
What does AR-15 mean?

"It means american rifle."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paTW3wOyIYw

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Jan 5, 2024

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

It means you’re supposed to grow out of Ayn Rand by age 15.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

For anyone interested in the subject, I recommend The Clones Cast. One host which is a total expert on all things Bruce Lee and Brucesploitation, and one host who is new to the subject. It's truly a fascinating world, with Bruce slowly shifting from being an actor to becoming a character over the course of the phenomenon.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

For anyone interested in the subject, I recommend The Clones Cast. One host which is a total expert on all things Bruce Lee and Brucesploitation, and one host who is new to the subject. It's truly a fascinating world, with Bruce slowly shifting from being an actor to becoming a character over the course of the phenomenon.

What was the movie with five different Bruce Lee look-alikes? I think Sean Connery's brother was also in it for five seconds.

\/\/\/ Yes, thank you! It was pretty obvious, when you think about it.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Jan 6, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gonna go ahead and guess you're thinking of The Clones of Bruce Lee, which is dope as hell:

quote:

Bruce Lee has just died, but the BSI is swinging into action to salvage the situation. Aided by the brilliant Professor Lucas, cells from the martial arts master’s body are removed and grown into three adult Bruce Lee clones. After undergoing training to bring their skills up to the level of their ‘father’, the three are sent out to battle crime, with one sent to take on a gold smuggler, and the other two teaming up to shut down an evil mad scientist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solid avatar material

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Platystemon posted:

Solid avatar material

What's the source? It's a drat fine piece of work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Harper’s Weekly, 1861 Oct. 26, p. 688.

Artist may be Frank Bellew

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

From the Ukraine war thread in GBS

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

There's a famous picture of the HMS Sussex after a kamikaze hit on her armoured belt.

It looks so perfect I'd normally say it was a photoshop, but there's several pictures of the same looney tunes rear end plane outline from multiple angles.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The supposed divine wind was more of a wet fart.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Samovar posted:

What's the source? It's a drat fine piece of work.

Goddamn, but 19th century political cartoons were something else. How standards have fallen.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I started watching back through Cheers the other day, and got curious about all the old photos used in the opening. I could not find a single website or blog where someone has tracked them all down. Lazy, god for nothing internet.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ommin posted:

I started watching back through Cheers the other day, and got curious about all the old photos used in the opening. I could not find a single website or blog where someone has tracked them all down. Lazy, god for nothing internet.

There's some discussion here:
https://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=108460

Some claims that mostly seem to be true:

quote:

Google these pics: Rudy Sohn's Barbershop Junction City, KS
Saturday Night at a Saloon by Russell Lee
Irish Lion Back Bar Bloomington, IN

quote:

The few real pictures are taken at my family bar, still thriving and in operation, The Legendary Silver Dollar Saloon Leadville, CO

quote:

The one with the WE WIN, was taken at the Fitzgerald Bar in Brooklyn during the Dodgers' pennant run.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Mar 7, 2024

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
This will do! I'll give it a read. Thank you. When I searched, I could find a picture here or there but not all of them. Someone suggested they were from a pre-digital stock photo collection and only the original title creators could be certain where they all came from.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yw :tipshat:

also nice, the profile link to the george wendt fansite the guy has in his profile works! apparently he set it up in 2004 when he was 16 lol

http://wendtfan.tripod.com

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
That's wild! I wonder if he still checks the WendtFan@skateboard.com email address?

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Ommin posted:

That's wild! I wonder if he still checks the WendtFan@skateboard.com email address?

I would proudly put that down as contact information on a job application.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that really is a fantastic email address

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ommin posted:

God drat that owns

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

In the middle of March, 1945, I was approached by Lt. Shubow, our Jewish chaplain. He planned to conduct Passover services, and since I was the only Jewish cook in the battalion, would I supervise the food arrangements.

The next two weeks were hectic. We had been moving through Germany and finally stopped at München Gladbach. I solicited all canned goods from our Jewish soldiers and they responded generously. Since army kitchens worked primarily with frozen, canned, and dehydrated foods, I passed the word to our scroungers that I needed fresh potatoes. I soon had a truckload.

Erev Pesach came and our chaplain directed our convoy several miles to an imposing building called “Schloss Reydt.” This was Goebbels’ castle.
Directly off the veranda, where I set up two gasoline camp-stoves, was a gigantic banquet room that would easily accommodate the 300 GIs I would feed. On one wall was a picture of Hitler and one of my buddies had scrawled “Kaput” across it. For the next two or three hours I was too busy to deal with emotions. They came later. While I was frying latkes a fellow came by and inquired what I was doing. I offered him some pancakes while I explained our presence. Evidently the latkes agreed with him. He kept eating them and asking me lots of questions and that night his story flew across the Atlantic cable, and my parents were interviewed by Time and the papers, and WEVD, and they planted trees for me in Israel, and my mother, rest her soul, discovered that I had lied to her. I wasn’t having a great time in Paris after all. However, as mothers will, she forgave me.

When all the latkes were fried and eaten, I joined my comrades in the Passover songs. We had seen the atrocities and now we were savoring some small measure of vengeance and victory.

https://nmajmh.org/2019/03/purim-and-passover-in-goebbels-castle/

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

By popular demand posted:

The supposed divine wind was more of a wet fart.

Saved Japan twice from the mongols.
Interestingly enough there was also a major typhoon in late October 1945 that hit Okinawa.

Had Japan not surrendered, there would have been massive US build up on the island at the time for operation Olympic; the invasion of Kyūshū planned for November that year.

It wouldn't have stopped anything in the long run but would have caused some chaos.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

So gods tardy or they just got sick of the empire's poo poo and mocked them by coming in late?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There was a huge storm that sank like 3 ships and killed hundreds a year or so before that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

By popular demand posted:

So gods tardy or they just got sick of the empire's poo poo and mocked them by coming in late?

Oppenheimer stole fire from the sun and caused delays in heaven.