Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Czechoslovakia straight up fell apart but it all got put back together again after the war EXCEPT the bit that Hungary had annexed because the Soviets took that and Stalin wasn't about to give back anything to anyone no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This thread would be a lot better if it had some photos from before the 1800's

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Nessus posted:

Post some and you may win more renown than you know :v:

I'm going to get a custom dinner plate made with a photo on it of somebody dressed up to look like Francis Drake and bury it in my yard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

America really benefited from there being two world wars that they weren't directly affected by as the industrial centres of the world (Britain, Germany, France and Italy. Especially the first two who were the industrial centres of the world) were blown to bits and their workforces killed and crippled. Allowing the Americans to not only catch up but to rise to the top.

German and Japanese manufacturing being flash fried by the war actually helped them afterwards because they were able to build new and more modern industrial plants from the ground up, while Brits and Americans had to constantly retrofit and work around the limitations of different areas of creaky old 19th century factories.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

luxury handset posted:

you may be thinking of a different nation here - america was pioneering new industrial forms, this was part of america's logistical dominance of ww2. american factories were so very good that russia hired the guy who made them to build up russian industry

nothing creaky about this

I was thinking specifically about what happened to Bethlehem Steel.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm surprised an eccentric present-day billionaire hasn't decided to illuminate their mansion with whale oil because it's good for the soul or something.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i guess the only true representation is that of a syphilitic artiste working in oils from memory

Let's colorize all the black and white paintings

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I had a tiny old black and white tv in my American childhood bedroom in the mid-90's.

Black and white tv that I could watch unmonitored and unsupervised without leaving my room was preferable to anything in color.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I distinctly remember watching The Wacky World of Tex Avery on the 12 inch black and white tv and thinking "This is awful, but it beats the alternatives." (Going outside, not watching TV, etc.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylite

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I read an article once about a teenage girl in puritan times who was caught having sex with a dog. Both girl and dog were hanged. Humans are a hell of a species.

Once again, the ancient Hittites were the freakiest of all human civilizations, at least when it comes to the animal lovin':

https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/ancient/1650nesilim.asp

quote:

199. If anyone have intercourse with a pig or a dog, he shall die. If a man have intercourse with a horse or a mule, there is no punishment. But he shall not approach the king, and shall not become a priest. If an ox spring upon a man for intercourse, the ox shall die but the man shall not die. One sheep shall be fetched as a substitute for the man, and they shall kill it. If a pig spring upon a man for intercourse, there is no punishment.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

animal trials for like wrongful deaths etc happened way into "modern times", it came up in the other pyf hist thread im pretty sure.

you still see it still in america where youll have like The People vs. A Box of Bananas or some poo poo

you can look at as a way to assign blame, which obvs should fall on the humans always

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodand

This poo poo is still going on in Anno 2023. The legal proceedings against objects that murder people are why American police can take everything you own if you are accused of jaywalking.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

By popular demand posted:

:v: like I ever want to see the royal idiot or become a priest! *leads his horse away whistling*

You can't legally gently caress a pig, but if the pig fucks you... *taps nose*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006