Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Great thread! My old one died in its infancy. https://rarehistoricalphotos.com has a lot of good stuff too, along with some interesting (albeit short) write-ups accompanying the pictures.

The pic of Archbishop José Maria Yerovi makes me really uncomfortable. I really hope that wasn't publicized at the time. Do you have any more information on what happened with that? Some googling brings up things in Spanish, so I couldn't get really far. Christ almighty that is some really morbid stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Khazar-khum posted:

At the time, photography of the dead was done to make a 'last look' possible. Thanatos.com has an excellent selection, though be forewarned: the majority are of young children, dead from the same diseases anti-vaxxers want to return.

Exhuming a body for a ritual of some kind was not unknown. People were exhumed to be executed, like Cromwell. If you were considered holy, you might be exhumed to see if you were an Incorruptable--ie, perfectly preserved--and thus eligible for sainthood.

Inez de Castro, wife of King Pedro of Portugal, was exhumed so she could be crowned. She had been murdered, which set off a terrible war; once peace was restored, the victorious Pedro ordered her to be dressed as queen and placed on her throne. All members of the court had to bow and kiss the ring on her hand.
Site you linked doesn't lead me anywhere. Would like to see it though! I didn't know people were put on trial or had their statuses amended post-death. Growing up catholic, I knew people could become saints after their death, but I didn't know that they were historically dug up as a way of verifying sainthood.

Zopotantor posted:

The bishop looks like the accused Pope in the painting of the Cadaver Synod.
This is really cool, but also just as creepy.

System Metternich posted:

It was a different time, simply put. Death was no stranger, and if I had to venture a guess I would say that most people would have seen plenty of dead bodies in their lives. Add to this a certain Catholic fascination with death as well as a lack of decomposition being regarded as a surefire sign of holiness, and it becomes clear that there was nothing morbid about that for people, but it was instead a sign of Christian triumph over death as well as a symbol that Yerovi would continue to exercise his episcopal office after death by way of intercession (which, going by Catholic theology, means that the dead shall ask God to favour the living).
It's still weird that some cultures today have a fascination with it (at least in our eyes, to some of these guy's its nothing out of the ordinary). I read this article a on Nat-Geo while back about people in southeast asia that still party it up and take selfies with decomposing grandma (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/04/death-dying-grief-funeral-ceremony-corpse/)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Khazar-khum posted:

My bad. http://thanatos.net/

Most are of very small children. For the most part there's nothing gross or horrifying, though there's a few that are bad. The medical images archive has loads of dissection pictures, which can be very creepy.

There's a bit out there about the Incorruptables. The Church now allows for the preservation of the body because once it's been exposed to air, decay will often set in. Most are clearly some form of natural mummy, though why a body in one grave would mummify while the one next to it doesn't is an open question. Some of them, though, just look like a sleeping person, even though they died in the 17th century.

It's part of Catholicism they don't really teach in catechism. Seeing the grand reliqueries in Spanish cathedrals really reignited my faith.

Shame I gotta pay to view most of these. The samples, however, beg a ton of questions. Tempted to subscribe but I cant get past the thought of paying money to be depressed and more than a little morbid. I went to a place in New Orleans called the Museum of Death, and a portion of it was dedicated to exactly this stuff. Contradicting my previous statement, I paid money to be morbid and I'd totally go back.

Are paintings kosher in this thread? Was going to make a post about John Rabe because that guy's story is wild.