Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The "what comics came out the month you were born" conversation from last month's chat thread was neat and cut off early.

Here is a resource to figure out what comics came out (or if you're nasty, had the same cover date as) when you were born.

September is also the end of the summer and the start of most academic years, so another topic of chat could be COMICS IN THE CLASSROOM. There are a number of comic scholars on this forum, but comics can also play more unexpected roles in our educational careers.

For instance, when I was in third grade I read some Transformers comics and I thought the name of one character (Donny Finkelberg) was funny, and used the name in a story I had to write for my third grade class. Unbeknownst to me, another student in the class also had read some Transformers comics, and alerted the teacher that I had PLAGIARIZED my story. Once it became clear all I had lifted was the name I was exonerated. I had stolen the entire mystery plot of the story from Encyclopedia Brown, and the Finkelberg controversy was an effective smokescreen for this. Over two decades later, Brad Meltzer also stole the key plot points from the same Encyclopedia Brown mystery for Identity Crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chat thread fight!

edit: You have a proper title. You can have it.

For birth date comics, turns out I got that whole Marvel Assistant Editors gimmick month, so
:cool:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 1, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Rude X-O locked the thread before I could edit my post :mad:

I haven't yet but pretend to read both of those so I'll go with them

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nothing notable during my month of birth. But judging by the cover of Teen Titans it’s possible either a Titan died or quit the team in that issue. And that so rarely happens that I’m sure you’ll all be able to track down when I was born.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Next month our theme should be "comics that mention the name of your first pet", or possible "comics that have the same number as the last four digits of your social security number".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Next month our theme should be "comics that mention the name of your first pet", or possible "comics that have the same number as the last four digits of your social security number".

Well that seems exclusionary to people who have never had had pets and dirty Canadians.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
To my untrained eye the big comics to come out in July '86 were

Batman #400

Byrne's Man of Steel #1

and Watchmen 2 & 3

Ty e&c for the link

site fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 1, 2018

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I didn't have to search very far to see this comic where Spidey is attacked by the Spider-Mobile!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Nothing too exciting for my my birth year and month but it does seem that Lobo's first appearance happened so Loving and I are the same age and kind of share a birthday together.

As for comics in the classroom I went to a few seminars about that topic this very year. My own personal story is that back in 5th grade I told my English teacher the story of John Irons from the Steel Annual number 2. I think I was trying to justify comics to her and I think she was bored out of her mind.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 1, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

Ty e&c for the link

Looking it over you've also got the first issue of Ann Nocenti's Daredevil run, the final issue of the batshit DC Challenge mini-series, and of course the momentous launch of THE NEW UNIVERSE.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's the DC challenge mini about?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Each book has a different creative team and they leave the issue with an impossible cliffhanger for the next team to work with. It was fun. They tried something similar again recently which I heard was not as fun.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

The set-up was similar to the Kamandi Challenge mini-series from a year or so back, there were twelve writer/artist teams, the first one was supposed to write an issue setting up a bunch of mysteries and a cliffhanger and not tell the next team what the solution was. Then the second team would follow that story and finish with their own mystery/cliffhanger, etc. etc. until the twelfth issue.

By the sixth issue Albert Einstein had shown up to explain quantum physics and time travel to Batman and Superman in order to explain how the story in the series worked. Then Mister Mxylptlk explained the rest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh, so like the kirby kamandi challenge. Thats cool

Efb

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was born in December 1991. I don't think there's anything that really sticks out for that month, though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This doesn't have anything with September but I guess it has something to do with birth.

I loving love Tom Scioli.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

X-O posted:

Each book has a different creative team and they leave the issue with an impossible cliffhanger for the next team to work with. It was fun. They tried something similar again recently which I heard was not as fun.

It didn't make a lick of sense, but everyone used it as an excuse to write and draw all the weird characters that they love and never got a chance to use.

My birth month is a particularly low point in superhero comics. I used to actually try to get comics with that cover date but with only a couple of exceptions they're pretty awful so I stopped that.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I put a few comics-related things on my creative writing syllabus this semester. Colette Arrand's book Hold Me Gorilla Monsoon incorporates a good chunk of Scott Stripling drawn strips and I also threw in the just recently Ignatz-nominated "Lara Croft Was My Family" by Carta Monir. I wanted to maybe do Nick Drnaso's Sabrina but I read it too late in the summer to really act on it.

I remember years ago when I was touring colleges I saw a Graphic Novels course offered somewhere-- St. Joe's I think-- and being like, whoa, out here in the real world you can read Watchmen??? In class!?!?!?! And now it's just standard, nobody blinks at assigning Fun Home or Persepolis or March. It's nice.

The month I was born Marvel was in the thick of both the Assalt on Avengers Mansion arc and had absolute classic Alan Davis issue of UXM where Psylocke fights Sabretooth. Also the execrably stupid West Coast Avengers issue where Hank Pym tries to kill himself while elsewhere everybody fights a big cactus guy and somebody named Butte.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 1, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got a cover saying Tomorrow Tony Stark will be sober. Or dead.

Going to assume it all worked out for the guy.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

My birth month is a particularly low point in superhero comics.

Me too. I bet there was some really good manga published in July 1978, but this is the only good superhero comic published that month AFAIK:

There's also the last issue of Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck, but he didn't leave on a high note:

And this, which isn't actually a good comic despite the bonkers premise:

Aphrodite posted:

I got a cover saying Tomorrow Tony Stark will be sober. Or dead.

I really liked the Denny O'Neil run on Iron Man. It's one of the first comics that I remember kind of following for the storyline.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Servoret posted:

Me too. I bet there was some really good manga published in July 1978, but this is the only good superhero comic published that month AFAIK:

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!*

*Steve Martin did not appear in this issue.

But he did pop up in Iron Man for some goddamn reason a couple years later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/1035727375726796800

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'd have been happy just seeing someone dressed as purple jumpsuit Lex. That is just icing on the cake.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

They tried something similar again recently which I heard was not as fun.

I thought Kamandi Challenge was pretty good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Steve Martin was never a cast member of SNL, he just hosted a lot and popped in for appearances.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uh so I have no idea what forum would be the most appropriate to post this in, but I'm gonna post it here for the nerd culture aspect:

RoG, founder and webmaster of the web 1.0 veteran humor and geek culture site i-mockery, best known for its holiday content and its mascot "pickle man" lost his wife, known on the site as Re, to suicide last year, and only recently shared it with the wider public. He wrote a devastating article about the experience of the loss and the toll it's taken on him.

It is not an easy read.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 2, 2018

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

My eighth-grade fixation on Nightcrawler eventually snowballed into my German teaching career. That's my comics in education story.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!*

I met Chris Claremont at a con in 2017, and he was charging either $5 or $10 per autograph, I forget which. Some guys brought rolling luggage or longboxes on dollies, absolutely filled with X-Men books, probably intending to get him to sign most or all of them.

I was toward the front of his line, and that was the only comic I cared about getting him to sign for me. He was taken aback at first, like he had forgotten he wrote it. With all the key X-related issues he probably gets presented with all the time, I doubt many people ask him to sign Marvel Team-Up #74. But he got a real kick out of it, and the staff working the booth didn't even know it existed. I'm a comedy nerd as much as I am a comic book nerd, and I've always had a soft spot for SNL, even though the bad has always outweighed the good. It's a nice little curiosity, and now that it's my one Claremont autograph, it occupies a special place in my collection.

Also, I'm currently going a little insane writing a scholarly article on a particular comic, hoping I can wrap it up in the next two weeks, send it out to journals, and get a publication offer before the end of September so I can apply for tenure and save my job.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 2, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm glad Claremont's at least nice to fans, I've heard Byrne has trouble even managing that. Doesn't he yelp about reprints and use a stamp to sign stuff that's not original run?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Byrne is a piece of poo poo, so that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. But yes, I've heard he refuses to sign reprints, so a stamp would be an improvement.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Byrne is a piece of poo poo, so that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. But yes, I've heard he refuses to sign reprints, so a stamp would be an improvement.

Whenever Byrne's general assholishness is brought up I always think how hard Bendis went in on him in Powers. Like, aside from that short story where Byrne was the Ego, the living planet and was responsible for Retro Girls death, there's also the storyline where the JLA analog is a bunch of self important assholes, and there's a guy in the group with nuclear energy powers. He's MAJORLY bitter about the fact that the WW analog and Superman analog get all the profits and acclaim from holding onto the IP, and spends all day on his fan site's message board lecturing his own fans about dumb bullshit (starting to sound familiar...) and of course, oput of outfit he's drawn to look just like John Byrne. I guess Bendis took what Byrne wrote about USM pretty personally, or maybe he knows far more than we do about how much of a prick Byrne can really be. Or both.

Incidentally, I don't blame Bendis for doing it, I'm just surprised there was no legal action.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

So, I got "Diana works at Taco Bell" and "Hardware, a character I vicariously lived through when I worked for a huge mega-corp back in 2016" on my birth month of my birth year. The later is kind of loving awesome as Hardware is lit as poo poo and I pity you if you disagree.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Claremont was super nice to my wife when she got a comic signed for me. Also I kind of don't mind the charging for an autograph (well at least the first few should be free) if the money goes to charity, which it usually does, and it prevents jerks from requesting someone sign their hundreds of comics (like the jerk who got Mike Allred to sign all his comics for nearly an hour).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

Claremont was super nice to my wife when she got a comic signed for me. Also I kind of don't mind the charging for an autograph (well at least the first few should be free) if the money goes to charity, which it usually does, and it prevents jerks from requesting someone sign their hundreds of comics (like the jerk who got Mike Allred to sign all his comics for nearly an hour).

Being a comic pro can be tough once the shine comes off of your name, which it has for Claremont. So even if he charged a nominal fee and kept that fee, I wouldn't be too offended.

One of the articles that I thought Wizard published that was actually of substance and not just breathless hype for a flavor of the month artist was an article about how for some guys, being considered hot poo poo in the industry is a double edged sword and a lot of the 80's hyped guys wished they were getting hype at that moment rather when they were young, because they'd grown and matured and were far better equipped to handle the hype and all the offers of extra work that came with it.

Another thing it touched on was a lot of them were scared that, if they turned something down now because of being too busy, they might not be able to come back to it later when they had time in their schedule.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Covok posted:

So, I got "Diana works at Taco Bell" and "Hardware, a character I vicariously lived through when I worked for a huge mega-corp back in 2016" on my birth month of my birth year. The later is kind of loving awesome as Hardware is lit as poo poo and I pity you if you disagree.

While I will give you major props for Hardware, holy poo poo you don't know how old I feel remembering how old I was when that issue came out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't have any problem with writers or artists charging for an autograph, especially older ones who don't have a lot of new stuff coming out.

Like, how does Claremont make money at this point? He probably gets some sort of residuals from some of his work, but it can't be a lot and it's not like he's publishing anything new.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Armageddon 2001 #2 came out the month I was born. September '91.
Oh, and also John Byrne's OMAC #1. And some early Valiant stuff. Also, what looks like the first appearance of Lucas Bishop! Neat!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
November 1981 gets me Nexus #1 a couple weeks after I was born:

And this issue of Batman on my actual birthday:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Covok posted:

When it was coming out I didn't care for Hardware. He felt like the weakest of the Milestone books to me. I suspect that it would play a lot differently now if I went back to read it, though.

Milestone was so goddamned good it's scary. Dwayne McDuffie was too good for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1036068009998077953

• Locked thread