Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Picked up 6 of issues printed under the Kirbychrome tag by Topps comics. I'm amazed by the names on these comics. It is a who's who of 70s and early 80s comic book greats and the covers are really good classic kirby. All mint too because the guy selling them bought every #1 comic in the 90s and kept them in the plastic sleeves they came in. Little does he know I am preparing to or have opened them.

Also found spidey's super stories vinyl by the electric company. Listening to it right now and it is good.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought it stood for that in this universe. :confused:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mutant I'd Like to Franchise.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

Mutant I'd Like to Franchise.

Im not calling gabby a milf sorry

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone actually sign up for DC Universe yet? I was wondering what the comic selection was like.

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

So, Chelsea Cain's 'Vision' series is cancelled before it's released?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cattywampus posted:

So, Chelsea Cain's 'Vision' series is cancelled before it's released?

Yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Who did she piss off?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The status quo.

Apparently two years of planning and multiple finished issues isn't enough time to figure out plans are clashing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know how Marvel sometimes alters their comics to make them closer (at least visually) to the movies, sometimes subtly and sometimes not so subtly? Does DC ever do that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't recall that ever happening. I mean I'm sure maybe in very minor ways some of the Batman films influenced the direction some artists and writers took some characters over the years, but it's not like Batman started wearing all black when the Burton film came out or Bane got a respirator after Dark Knight Rises. And as horny as 90s catwoman's design was, she looked nothing like Michelle Pfeiffer.

I never really understood why Marvel does that, anyway. It comes off as kind of desperate sometimes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know how Marvel sometimes alters their comics to make them closer (at least visually) to the movies, sometimes subtly and sometimes not so subtly? Does DC ever do that?

After the success of Burton's Batman they literally blew up Gotham in the comics so it looked more like the movie version (article 1, article 2).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I can't recall that ever happening. I mean I'm sure maybe in very minor ways some of the Batman films influenced the direction some artists and writers took some characters over the years, but it's not like Batman started wearing all black when the Burton film came out or Bane got a respirator after Dark Knight Rises. And as horny as 90s catwoman's design was, she looked nothing like Michelle Pfeiffer.

I never really understood why Marvel does that, anyway. It comes off as kind of desperate sometimes.

There was a comic where someone blew up Gotham to reveal "old" Gotham that just happened to look like Batman 89. Harley Quinn's look seems pretty heavily inspired by outside media (Arkham Asylum/Suicide Squad) as well. That's about the only examples I can think of. DC movies tend to look fairly close to their comics. I'd argue that the current crop have been heavily influenced by the bad New 52 aesthetic, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought DCAU Harley being replaced by Hot Topic Harley was driven by the comics rather than the the other way round, but I never played any of the Arkham games and don't know their timeline in relation to Harley Quinn's redesign.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bane's had Hardy's fur coat in the comics hasn't he? But things like that can easily be treated as references rather than full-on changes to the status quo (like Destroyer was).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought DCAU Harley being replaced by Hot Topic Harley was driven by the comics rather than the the other way round, but I never played any of the Arkham games and don't know their timeline in relation to Harley Quinn's redesign.

In the cartoon and comics Harley always wore the original red and black spandex. then Arkham Asylum came out, where she was dressed like this

Some time after that, the comics started putting her in new, more revealing outfits too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I didn't know they were doing a sequel!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was about to say the Justice League roster with Cyborg, but N52 came out before the Justice League movie plans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Harley got a makeover to match suicide squad when that came out

Dunno if it stuck tho

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

Harley got a makeover to match suicide squad when that came out

Dunno if it stuck tho

It changes from artist to artist but since the start of New52 she's usually wearing shorts, thigh highs, and some kind of small, midriff revealing top.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The Suicide Squad line up for Nu-52 and the movie were pretty much the same line up so there is that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Guy Goodbody posted:

It changes from artist to artist but since the start of New52 she's usually wearing shorts, thigh highs, and some kind of small, midriff revealing top.

No i mean like she got her hair dyed and slightly changed her makeup to match the movie ss version, think it happened during the rebirth launch

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

No i mean like she got her hair dyed and slightly changed her makeup to match the movie ss version, think it happened during the rebirth launch
Yeah, during Rebirth. Same outfit though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

she started dressing like that way before Suicide Squad came out, and even before Rocksteady's Arkham Asylum iirc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Where does DC vs Mortal Kombat fit in? I remember her redesign (or one of them) showing up there.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm enjoying this detective work over Harley's design changes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Where does DC vs Mortal Kombat fit in? I remember her redesign (or one of them) showing up there.

According to the internet, Harley Quinn wasn't in Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Part of the problem is that everyone missed one of the points of Harley's Arkham Asylum costume, which is that she has absolutely no access to her costume or any of her usual gear and is just improvising with whatever stuff she can loot from the asylum. It's still way over-sexualized, but she's dressing up like a nurse because she beat up a bunch of nurses and stole their clothes, it's supposed to be contributing to the literal inmates-running-the-asylum vibe.

And then since everyone missed the point and it was stupidly popular, even Rocksteady went "yeah okay that's just her look now" and kept doing it for the other Arkham games.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

Part of the problem is that everyone missed one of the points of Harley's Arkham Asylum costume, which is that she has absolutely no access to her costume or any of her usual gear and is just improvising with whatever stuff she can loot from the asylum. It's still way over-sexualized, but she's dressing up like a nurse because she beat up a bunch of nurses and stole their clothes, it's supposed to be contributing to the literal inmates-running-the-asylum vibe.

And then since everyone missed the point and it was stupidly popular, even Rocksteady went "yeah okay that's just her look now" and kept doing it for the other Arkham games.

It's certainly nurse-themed, but the idea that even a single part of it was being worn by a real nurse at the asylum is, uh...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are you suggesting that nurses DON'T wear six inch platform, thigh-high boots?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The platforms are the most explicable part. If Harley had access to nurses' clothes, she could've just cut out and glued together the soles from like three pairs of Crocs.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's certainly nurse-themed, but the idea that even a single part of it was being worn by a real nurse at the asylum is, uh...
Yeah, they oversexualized it, I know. But that's what it's supposed to be; everyone but the Joker is wearing improvised costumes made of stuff they could find in the asylum.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

According to the internet, Harley Quinn wasn't in Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

I was sure I remember her being advertised for it but perhaps I'm conflating it with something else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're probably thinking of Injustice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably.

I'm not really into computer games, sorry.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Last hospital I was in the nurses had either red or purple platform shoes and matching corsets, so I don't get the complaint. Of course I was there for blunt head trauma while on some serious drugs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Are you suggesting that nurses DON'T wear six inch platform, thigh-high boots?

They do in every video about nurses that I've seen.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, they oversexualized it, I know. But that's what it's supposed to be; everyone but the Joker is wearing improvised costumes made of stuff they could find in the asylum.

Everyone else is wearing the prison uniform but with the shirt or pants off.

I'm sure it's possible that there was a white blouse with puff sleeves being worn by a doctor or nurse at the Asylum. But even setting aside the cleavage issue, Harley re-hemmed the sleeves in dyed leather. And the boots, OK, the regular Arkham inmates have leather patches and straps, Harley could've taken those leather pieces out of existing uniforms, dyed them, then assembled them into thigh high boots. But goddamn. That's not an improvised, cobbled together costume. That's Tony Stark making an Iron Man suit in a cave. And he had two weeks, Harley Quinn customized or made from scratch every piece of her outfit in three hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Everyone else is wearing the prison uniform but with the shirt or pants off.

I'm sure it's possible that there was a white blouse with puff sleeves being worn by a doctor or nurse at the Asylum. But even setting aside the cleavage issue, Harley re-hemmed the sleeves in dyed leather. And the boots, OK, the regular Arkham inmates have leather patches and straps, Harley could've taken those leather pieces out of existing uniforms, dyed them, then assembled them into thigh high boots. But goddamn. That's not an improvised, cobbled together costume. That's Tony Stark making an Iron Man suit in a cave. And he had two weeks, Harley Quinn customized or made from scratch every piece of her outfit in three hours.

And Stane still couldn't miniaturize the arc reactor!!

• Locked thread