Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I wonder what's higher, BudK's yearly profit or the total ER visit billings they are responsible for causing in a year?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The best thing about that is that they're advertising full tang, when as best as I can figure out the "grip" isn't a grip so much as it's just cord wrapped around the metal. Full tang means something if you're talking about knives with actual handles that were made by forging or whatever, but it's pretty obvious that they just stamped this bullshit out of sheet metal and called it good enough.

edit: to be clear, stamped metal bullshit can be just fine, I've got some cheap home depot machetes that are great for yardwork that I'm pretty sure were made the same way. Just, you know, it's :laffo: to lean on it being full tang like it's anything worth talking about.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best thing about that is that they're advertising full tang, when as best as I can figure out the "grip" isn't a grip so much as it's just cord wrapped around the metal. Full tang means something if you're talking about knives with actual handles that were made by forging or whatever, but it's pretty obvious that they just stamped this bullshit out of sheet metal and called it good enough.

I'd imagine that's precisely what it is.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even on the occasions I've broken dogshit grade machetes, the handle/tang has never been the failure point. There'll just be a random part midway down the blade that suddenly shatters like glass.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I think we can all agree that paracord handles are only good if you're alone in the jungle and got nothing better, also one of your first projects would be to carve out a proper handle from wood or bone.

Even some wrapped cloth is nicer than paracord assuming you regularly replace it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't part of the fantasy that you unwind the grip so you've now got some string to do survival stuff with?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't part of the fantasy that you unwind the grip so you've now got some string to do survival stuff with?
Yeah, and make neat animal snares so you can live off the land....

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

That and people think it looks cool. You can find people trying to replicate the look of the cloth wraps you find on samurai swords.

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

Machai posted:

So they'll be easy to stab?

i like the way you think.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8jLO2h1xvI

History! Not brass! Open screw tops!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
and now begins the trenchification of everything

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ah yes, a "bottle opener". I understand.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

For just $30, you too can own $1.50!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

For just $30, you too can own $1.50!

Nah, it's worth at least $3.84

The current price of 1 lb of copper

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Aren't those gonna be some sort of brass?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

goatface posted:

Aren't those gonna be some sort of brass?

Nope. Pre-1982 pennies were 95% copper with the rest being random bits of alloying material to make it harder, more resistant to wear, etc.

Post-1982 it's copper plating over a 99.2% zinc core.

You've also got some oddball poo poo in the mix like the WW2 era ones that were made out of steel (not even plated) to help with the war effort, but the copper mix is the same before and after that.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

What if you buy pennies from budk and then use those pennies to buy a sword from budk?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nope. Pre-1982 pennies were 95% copper with the rest being random bits of alloying material to make it harder, more resistant to wear, etc.

Post-1982 it's copper plating over a 99.2% zinc core.

You've also got some oddball poo poo in the mix like the WW2 era ones that were made out of steel (not even plated) to help with the war effort, but the copper mix is the same before and after that.

Some people actually buy (or make) sorting machines and hoard the copper ones in hope that the laws preventing coins being sold for scrap get repealed, or maybe they melt them and sell the ingot on the down low.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

EorayMel posted:

What if you buy pennies from budk and then use those pennies to buy a sword from budk?

This is a bad investment.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

By popular demand posted:

Some people actually buy (or make) sorting machines and hoard the copper ones in hope that the laws preventing coins being sold for scrap get repealed, or maybe they melt them and sell the ingot on the down low.

It's 100% the bolded part. This is one of those things where once you have an ingot it's pretty much impossible to know where the metal came from, your typical scrap metal buyer gives so little of a gently caress that they'll happily buy a catalytic converter with a ragged sawzall cut from someone with no front teeth, and smelting at the scale of an individual can be comfortably done in a backyard shed.

It's really there to prevent large businesses from (legally) churning circulating currency through scrappers as a form of arbitrage, because if done at scale it would be a massive pain in the rear end as far as keeping coins in circulation goes and be a kind of lovely direct transfer from the government to smelter owners. Some rando precious metal hoarder isn't going to run afoul unless they literally start posting tiktok videos of them pouring hundreds of pounds of pennies into a backyard smelter while cackling about how "ha ha feds you can't stop me watch me post my crimes on the internet."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I wonder how long it will be before copper pennies disappear entirely then.
It's not a new thing and thanks to the internet everyone can learn how to do it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

By popular demand posted:

I wonder how long it will be before copper pennies disappear entirely then.
It's not a new thing and thanks to the internet everyone can learn how to do it.

They're already pretty uncommon in circulation. For the most part it's already the domain of collectors and other weirdos who are willing to pay far more for the raw copper cost of the penny.

Same deal with silver quarters. There are some weirdos who will get like $5k in quarters from a bank (iirc you have to special order them) and sort them for pre-1964 quarters to sell for the bullion value. tl;dr is that there aren't many left out there, it's incredibly tedious, and it turns out that $4995.75 worth of quarters is really annoying to unload if you're not a laundromat. Also a lot of banks adopted policies against accepting large change deposits specifically because of how much money those people were costing them (it is not free to have a loving ton of change delivered to a bank, sorted through by some silver bug, and then shipped back to wherever when they re-deposit them).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

When I was 13 or so I bought a roll of half dollars from the bank then sold the ones with silver to a coin shop. I’m not sure where I learned that trick but it was a free couple bucks and was fun to do.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cyrano4747 posted:

They're already pretty uncommon in circulation. For the most part it's already the domain of collectors and other weirdos who are willing to pay far more for the raw copper cost of the penny.

Same deal with silver quarters. There are some weirdos who will get like $5k in quarters from a bank (iirc you have to special order them) and sort them for pre-1964 quarters to sell for the bullion value. tl;dr is that there aren't many left out there, it's incredibly tedious, and it turns out that $4995.75 worth of quarters is really annoying to unload if you're not a laundromat. Also a lot of banks adopted policies against accepting large change deposits specifically because of how much money those people were costing them (it is not free to have a loving ton of change delivered to a bank, sorted through by some silver bug, and then shipped back to wherever when they re-deposit them).

A lot of them still have change counters in my market but change is a pain in the rear end. The change machines get out of balance more often than you would think. Nobody takes rolled coin anymore though.

Biggest reason to limit the amount of change on hand is staff safety though. Probably the most common type of on the job injury in Banking is repetitive motion injuries from using computers all day, but dropping a $1000 bag of rolled quarters on your foot has to be a close second. And third might be strained backs from lifting the poo poo. I do not miss being a vault teller.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's 100% the bolded part. This is one of those things where once you have an ingot it's pretty much impossible to know where the metal came from, your typical scrap metal buyer gives so little of a gently caress that they'll happily buy a catalytic converter with a ragged sawzall cut from someone with no front teeth, and smelting at the scale of an individual can be comfortably done in a backyard shed.

I recently read The Corner by David Simon and one of the "capers" the heroin addicts get involved in is a scheme where they get paid a couple hundred bucks to take a car and have it crushed while the owner reports it stolen and collects the insurance money. Sometimes they don't even ask the owner for permission, and the scrap metal companies don't care at all.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1995-09-03-1995246139-story.html

quote:

But Gary has been scavenging metal long enough now that he's not willing to fool himself. The houses aren't all so broken-down. The properties aren't always vacant: "I mean, it's tearing the city up," he says. "It's destroying houses -- good houses -- places where they just finished remodeling, places where anyone would want to live. You got people out here who take everything: the pipes, the window, the stove, the kitchen cabinets."

No, Gary is the rare metal man. He won't lie about any of it. Fact is, when he's sated with chemicals and the nausea is gone and he can think about things for a few minutes, he's genuinely ashamed: "We tore up the boiler in this school for $70 in copper," he says. "For $70, we did like $10,000 in damage."

Gary would blame himself, but he's an addict and the world has got to know by this time that he's about getting high and nothing else. No, he assures you, real guilt lies with those making real money. Like George Dykes, owner of Franklintown Metals and Cores on McPhail Street, which was found guilty in July of failing to maintain proper purchase records. Or the boys at Baltimore Scrap or Industrial Metals, which were found guilty and given small fines as well. Or the biggest and richest of them all -- United Iron & Metal. There they take just about everything -- even cars, if your game includes making an auto disappear for $60.

At all of these places, the metal men say, they can generally sell their haul without worrying about questions, concerns or careful scrutiny of required IDs. Show up with a half-dozen aluminum window sets from the Lexington Terrace high-rises -- each purchased for $240 by the housing authority; each ripped out and broken down for $12 by the scavengers -- and the employees at United simply read off the weight and cart it away. It's the Metal Kings who make the rules; to Gary's mind, he's merely a soldier in service of their crown.

"They takin' in so much. They makin' billions on scrap metal and we gettin' paid peanuts for it. They can even cheat us at the scales and we can't do anything about it."

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

late Bronze Age-era BUDK probably would've been Ea-nāṣir selling fake-rear end """"copper""""

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

https://www.budk.com/Crosman-1911-Pistol-Kit-Spring-Powered-200-FPS-Pic-46747

it would be really funny if someone made this hunk of poo poo use actual bullets

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

JAnon posted:

it would be really funny if someone made this hunk of poo poo use actual bullets
Just buy a $300 1911 and call it a day?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BudK posted:

It has a smooth bore barrel and features a golf ball grip pattern for added traction, a skeletonized trigger and a Picatinny rail for accessory mounting

A Picatinny rail for your BB gun :lmao:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

McSpanky posted:

A Picatinny rail for your BB gun :lmao:
To encourage you to buy more BudK bullshit to attach to it. It's marketing genius!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

JAnon posted:

https://www.budk.com/Crosman-1911-Pistol-Kit-Spring-Powered-200-FPS-Pic-46747

Now they just need to sell some "tactical" dry wall repair kits at 800% markup and they're really making money

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of the 52 functions of their basic model tactical folding entrenchment tool is a plaster trowel.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Red Ryder BB gun I purchased as recently as fifteen years ago still includes instructions for setting up a backstop and surrounding area to safely target shoot indoors.

This ain't it.

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 13, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume they already sell tactical eyepatches?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume they already sell tactical eyepatches?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v253NdGH6ZY

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh yeah, just what I need to help me find my way in the dark laser mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stick a red film over there and pretend you're Cyclops.

E - oh, that was the youtube link, mb