Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It was clearly Ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Deep Distrust

Well, we're going to have to break the door. Let's see what we can use.

DariusLikewise posted:

The loose pipe behind the toilet seems like a pretty obvious way... to do something

Sounds like a good idea.

Pipe This pipe is damaged, and some of the screws look like they could fall out at any second.

Hmm. Maybe I can use this pipe. Looks hefty enough to bust the door open.

Right, now we're in business!

Knob Looks like there's something on the other side jamming the door shut.
Guess there's nothing for it but to bust the door open.
Knock Why am I even knocking? That spray must be messing with my head...

Use toilet pipe on door

Time to try this pipe out on that door.

This will take some time.

This GIF is sped up 4 times. Yeah.

Banging either end of the door won't work; we have to bang on the middle of it. Even if there's a hole in it. I don't know how you'd hit a hole, but :shrug:

Looks like it did the trick.

It does, but is there a much easier way to do this?

Break Some beat-up old chairs that are a little lacking in the stability department.

Hmm. Maybe I can use this chair. I'm sure I can put it to good use busting that door open.

Right, that door'd better say its prayers!

Use chair on door

Time to try this chair out on that door.

Whoops. Let's try that again.

That's better. We have to slide the stylus quickly for this to work.

In fact, the chair can go through the door in one go if we slide it quickly enough.

Either way works, and we're sticking with the pipe route for novel purposes.

Time to get out of here.

I stretch my hands through the hole and unbind the rope holding the door shut.

*Kyle gets out*

Huh?

Down by my feet is the debris from the broken door.

Something's lying on the floor beside the number plate for room 406. It's a piece of the door with the word "Manager" written on it.

(So, room 406 belonged to the manager, huh?)
(This is getting interesting...)

Let's stop by the fire door real quick and hope it isn't closed... :ohdearsass:

Oh, and I guess we need to find Tony too. He has a crowbar, so he should be fine, right?

(Huh? That's...)

Welp.

Tony!

Tony

Ohh... Hyde... Is that you?
Hang in there! Don't rub your eyes!
Ri-right... But my throat and my eyes feel like they're on fire... And my head... Argh!
Who did this to you?
Wish I could tell you, man. I was going pasat the elevator and all of a sudden something sprayed into my face. Knocked me out cold. I didn't even feel it when I hit the floor.
You were hit with sleep spray. Just blink a lot.
I don't believe this!

At least you didn't get tied up and locked :colbert:

I think it's law enforcement-grade stuff. You're lucky you've been out for most of it.
Just grin and bear it. You're not dying, you know.
A little more compassion would go a long way, man!
Yeah, well, it wasn't just you that got taken down. They got me too. Same routine with the sleep spray and everything.
What? They got you too?
What the hell is this?
Just after you left, they sprayed me, knocking me unconscious.
I was tied up and locked in room 406.
No way...
I've only just got myself free and smashed my way out.

Can it Tony, I wasn't on the SWAT Team or anything... How are you feeling now?
Can't complain... It's a lot better than just now, that's for sure.
drat...

Music: Shadowy Men
Yeah, I think I'm over the worst of it now.
Good to hear.
But who the hell would wanna do this to us anyway?
My guess is somebody who didn't want us closing in on the Scarlet Star.
Doesn't exactly tell us much.
Yeah, true.
Looks like I'm gonna be needing your help with one more thing then, Tony.
Sure, no sweat. We've got to get our heads straight and get back in the game here!
I wanna know who it is as much as you do! Let's go get 'em!
That's the spirit!
Right, I've just remembered...

Same as when you left. We need to get back there for another look.

Would you say that the safe is perfectly safe? :downsrim:

No time like the present. Let's book it!
If anyone tries anything again, let's see them try and sleep spray my crowbar!
Where is that thing, anyway?
It's over there on the floor.
So thats' your little friend, huh?

The attacker didn't grab Tony's crowbar? :psyduck:

Right, let's get this thing done!
Right.

This is as far as we could go to the fire door without Tony stopping us, and it looks open to me.

Whoever assaulted them did a very half-assed job :nono:

What the hell, man! You really did a number on that door!
It was nothing special.
Ah ha ha ha! Oh man!
What? What's so strange?
Nothing. I just think it's very you, that's all.
What's very me? What I did to the door was nothing compared to you when you're drunk?

:drat:

Some things don't change, huh? That's harsh, man.
Right, let's do this!
Yeah!

Going inside...

Time to get that safe open, Hyde.
Right.

Let's get this safe open already!

Safe There's a safe with a dial against the wall.
(This looks like it's seen better days. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get this open using that crowbar of Tony's.)

Use crowbar on safe

Right, let's get busy with this crowbar.

Push the bar on three, okay?

Got it!
Nice one, Hyde!
Come on, let's see what's inside.

Simple enough, but there's some dialogue for messing this up.

Pushing the bar too early or too late
C'mon, man!
We're pushing on three! Not one, and not sixty-two!
Not doing anything at all
C'mon, man!
Don't just stand there, push!
Pushing the wrong direction
C'mon, man!
Push the other way! Why would you be trying to break the side?

Anyway, with the door broken, we can finally loot this safe :dance:

Safe There's an old safe next to the wall. The door has broken off.

Box

So, did we find anything?
Hold your horses, I'm still checking.
The suspense is killing me, man.
There's a small, square case inside.
A case?
Better take a look inside it.
This is it! Let's get that thing open and take a look at all that...

WELP.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 13, 2019

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

1234567890num posted:

In fact, the chair can go through the door in one go if we slide it quickly enough.

Kyle's facial expression here :lol: He looks like he's in disbelief that he was able to get out this easily.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Kyle did that entirely with his lower body.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe the real Scarlet Star was the friends we made along the way.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I did not think the solution was going to be just hitting the door until it broke but sure

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

I did not think the solution was going to be just hitting the door until it broke but sure

Since it's not Sierra, the solutions make some kind of sense, mostly. I can only imagine what kind of Rube Goldberg machine Roberta Williams would have put in here

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

or something with stupidly quick timing and no chances of doing it over (like booting the god drat cat)

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

(like booting the god drat cat)

I never played any Sierra games so I don't know how bad this is.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

1234567890num posted:

I never played any Sierra games so I don't know how bad this is.

So basically Sierra games are know for having dead man walking situations (You didn't do something earlier in the game and it will get you killed further in the game)

Cat Boot is one of the many many Dead man walkings from King's Quest V

On one screen you will see a rat being cased by a cat. This only ever happens once.You miss doing this you will never see the cat chasing the rat again. You must throw a boot at the cat. You get the boot from wandering a desert that can kill you from exploring too much due to lack of water. Fast forward to another section in this part, you enter an inn and get jumped. You get tied up in the basement. you have nothing to cut the ropes. It is required for this to happen so you can get an item. The solution is the rat if you saved it from the cat will come and chew the ropes freeing you. If you don;t know the rat is the solution and don't save it then every time you go into the inn, you die. As said earlier. The cat chasing the rat only ever happens once so if you miss it and make a save after that, you can never win the game without starting over.

EDIT: Here is the King's Quest Wiki page on all of the DMW in the series (Spoilers for all King's Quest games obviously)
https://kingsquest.fandom.com/wiki/Dead_end

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 10, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I also seem to recall a couple puzzles with "solutions" that locked you into a game over because they used items you needed in later puzzles.

Sierra games were pretty bad.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FoolyCharged posted:

I also seem to recall a couple puzzles with "solutions" that locked you into a game over because they used items you needed in later puzzles.

Sierra games were pretty bad.

yep the yeti one is the most infamous in both 'can screw yourself out of it' and 'the solution is absurd'.

You meet a starving eagle (you'll need to feed it), you can give it meat, or a pie, you need food to progress over the mountain, the game doesn't tell you the meat has two portions. You later get attacked by a Yeti, the solution? Throw the loving pie at it's face. fed the eagle the pie? you're screwed.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
King's Quest 5 is a well of anger-inducing bullshit, but none of it adds up to cat hair+syrup=fake mustache.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I really can't imagine playing those games without a guide... :eng99:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

What the hell have we wasted all our time for, then?!
The drat thing's empty.
That can't be right!
Well I'm not making this up, you know.
So where the hell is the Scarlet Star?
Beats me.
Talk about disappointing! Aw, man... After all that!
Yeah, tell me about it.
Hey, wait a minute... Take a look at the door.
What about it?

Yeah, that's almost unusually thick.
I thought we'd be rolling in it by now.
(Hang on...)

Door The door we prised off of the safe is lying on the floor.

Opening The door's thick and inner portion is covered in rust.

There's some sort of opening on the inside of the door... Could it be...
What is it?
It looks like this thing comes apart.
You're right!

I swear, if the inside is also empty...

I place the crowbar into the opening and prise it open.

That'll do.

That's not the Scarlet Star, but it's better than nothing, I guess.

Book

This looks like...
What did you find?
Tony... There's some kind of book hidden in the gap in the door.
What? A book?
Nothing shiny and expensive-looking then?
Unfortunately not, but at least we have something... And we've got you to thank for it.
So...
what does the book say?
It looks like a diary from the manager of Hotel Cape West.
The manager's diary?
Yeah. It belonged to Michael McGrath, the manager of the hotel... The man who knew the whereabouts of the Scarlet Star.
Maybe we can still find it!

So come on, what's in it?

"Written on December 17, 1967, after Kathy's funeral. Kathy, I still can't believe you're gone.

Music: Distant Memory

Guilt because I know the truth, Kathy. I know why you were killed, and it's all because of what happened on that fateful night 12 years ago. If I hadn't shot the safecracker who snuck into my office... If I hadn't taken the Scarlet Star from his dead fingers, then maybe you'd still be alive.

If only I hadn't shot the man who'd crept into the office to break into the safe... If I'd not taken the Scarlet Star from his hands and kept it for myself... Perhaps then, none of this would have happened.

Then I had Mike and Peter take it to a downtown parking lot and dump it there. The blood-stained room was then converted into a guest room, and it was made off-limits from then on. Rarely a day goes by when I don't think about what happened that night. When I closed the hotel, my plan was to sever my ties with Condor as well... George said, 'The only way to escape Condor is to completely disappear. Of course you're well within your right to do so, but remember this: I can overlook certain things while we're friends, but not when we're strangers.' But George knew... He knew about the provisions I'd made in order to start my new life, and he knew what had become of the Scarlet Star. I expected some sort of retribution... But Kathy... I never imagined it would result in your life being taken.

And George, who took your life, even had the audacity to come to your funeral.

I have no intention of handing the Scarlet Star over to George. And absolutely no intention of forgiving him for what he has done either. You can rest easy Kathy. You will be avenged. I promise."

Music stops

(There's no mistaking it... It was my dad! It all happened 25 years ago in this very room... My dad snuck in and stole the Scarlet Star, only to be killed by Michael McGrath... He was killed in this very room... Dad...)

:ms:

"Hey! Are you listening, Hyde?"

Music: Shadowy Men
Snap out of it, man!
Does it say where the Scarlet Star is, or not?
No... No, it doesn't.
So we've got nothing.

This book pretty much just explained 3 unsolved murder cases, so it's definitely not nothing.

What now, Hyde?
Right now, we need to get out of this room.
Yeah, that's a good idea.

Tony and I leave room 406.

Music stops

What is it?
My foot hurts. I must've fallen on it funny. Still hurts now. My head's killing me too. What the hell was in that spray?
You might as well go back to your room, Tony.
But what about the diamond?!
You need to rest.
I'll be sure to come and get you when I need you.
Well okay man, if you're sure.

Tony makes his way back through the hallway.

Good thing whoever sprayed them didn't close the fire door! :v:

*Beeping sounds*

It's my pager.

Remember that the pager was what woke Kyle up after being sprayed. We've kept Rachel waiting for too long.

Phone

Time to give Rachel a call.

Rachel, it's me.

Music: Serenity
Is everything okay, Kyle? I've been trying to reach you for ages.
Yeah, I got caught up in something.
Oh?
It's fine now, don't worry about it.
Well, okay, if you're sure.
What did you want me for, anyway?
I'll pass you over to Ed.

Music: Ace of Diamonds

He was heading up a Condor investigation 25 years ago, but was taken off the case.
I already got that out of him. Seems he blames Hugh Speck for having him taken out of the action. He's been roaming around in this building looking for proof to link Speck and Nile.
He has, has he?
Also, I found Michael McGrath's diary fro m13 years ago on the fourth floor. In it, he says he shot a certain safecracker in this building 25 years ago in 1955.
What?!
There's more... The person who killed Kathy McGrath 13 years ago was the husband of the current owner, none other than George Patrice.
That's some pretty big reveals you've made there, Hyde.
It certainly answers a few questions, but it seems I got a bit sloppy, too. Just a little while ago, I was rendered unconscious and tied up.
What the hell happened?
I was investigating the fourth floor and somebody sprayed me with sleep spray.
That's pretty serious. Seems you managed to get yourself out of it, though.
Yeah, just about. My head's still killing me, though. Seems there's somebody in this place who doesn't want the fourth floor investigated.
You got any ideas who could've done this to you?

What's your next move?
Let's just say that person and I are gonna have a little talk.
Watch your back, Hyde!
Sure. *hangs up*
(Okay, time to go and get some answers.)

Kyle might know who the attacker is, but he sure won't tell us. Therefore, :siren:it's up to you guys:siren: to figure this out.

I'm going to say this right now: The only possible suspects are Frank and Mags. Can't blame Sidney or Claire, sadly.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 13, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, if you're going to put it like that, then it has to be Mags. It's pretty convenient that both Kyle and Tony get sprayed right before discovering something damning about her husband.

That said, I'm not really sure what the spray accomplished aside from momentarily inconveniencing them.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

It has to be Frank, there is only the one clue we get about who it could have been

quote:

I think it's law enforcement-grade stuff. You're lucky you've been out for most of it.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I'm gonna go with Frank...

But...

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That said, I'm not really sure what the spray accomplished aside from momentarily inconveniencing them.

Seriously, what the hell was even the point? Hyde was locked in a room and tied up, maybe he was supposed to die, but Tony was just knocked out in the hallway, he probably could have saved him if Hyde hadn't gotten out on his own. Was it an attempt to scare them away? Was the person who did it an incompetent moron?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TitanG posted:

It has to be Frank, there is only the one clue we get about who it could have been

That's a good point.

I kind of dismissed Frank as a possibility since he seemed to be cooperating, but then again, Mags could just kick Kyle and Tony out if she wasn't on-board with this.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That's a good point.

I kind of dismissed Frank as a possibility since he seemed to be cooperating, but then again, Mags could just kick Kyle and Tony out if she wasn't on-board with this.

I think Mags would just kick them out too. Frank seems more likely.

Maybe he was looking for something not in the safe or on Hyde and that’s why he only knocked them out?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure Kyle told frank he was going to check out the 4th too. Dudes got a very personal vendetta and it wouldn't surprise me if he gassed Kyle to grab the diamond and go after spec himself.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think it's Frank as well, Mags could easily call the police and have them thrown out using her authority as the owner, and her wording when talking to Kyle about her husband does sound like she genuinely doesn't know George is involved with dirty business, let alone who killed him. Also she would have to either overhear Tony and Kyle talk or coincidentally went up to the 4th floor and notice it's open.

Frank would likely have such a spray due to police connections, doesn't like Tony (so no qualms about jumping him), has a clear axe to grind and a stubbornness to keep at it, and cop likely he knew leaving two bodies would be too dangerous or still have some qualms about actually murdering someone, so just knocks them out, grab the diamond and left. And Frank would know Kyle is investigating.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The thread has spoken, so we're going to have a chat with Frank next update.

Also, 3 updates in and I just noticed that I posted the wrong music for the map/examination. It's supposed to be this instead.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Our confrontation with Frank has a very long section before we got to the meat of things, but there's no place to split them up. So I put the update here instead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh no, we've been Safe Ending'd. :argh:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
It was nice knowing him.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Apparently, Frank is the wrong answer.

Knock "Who is it?" I hear Mags's voice from inside her room.

Music: Resolution
It's Kyle Hyde.

"Oh! Mr Hyde..."

Why so surprised?

"I'm not...surprised..."

If you say so. Now open the door. I got something I need to talk to you about.

"Now's not really a good time. I don't want to see anyone at the moment."

Don't want to see anyone?
What's wrong? Was it something I said?

"Please don't misunderstand, Mr Hyde."

I know what you did. All of it.
Now open this drat door!

"No, I won't! I have no intention of letting you into my room ever again. I've also made certain discoveries... I know you snuck in here and stole the key, for example."

What?

"Of all the things to take. And to think, you of all people took it. I must have been a fool to ever think I could trust you!"

Mrs Patrice...

"Just go, will you!"

:sigh:

Frank.

Music: Blue Lady
What are you doing here?
I just came to see Mags.
So you spoke to her, yes?
Not exactly. She wouldn't let me in. She told me she knew I'd been inside her room.
Interesting.
How so?
She called me not long ago to talk about you.

(She talked about me?)

I think she may be under the assumption you're in league with Nile.
And she may be basing these assumptions on the fact that you took the Condor key.
She said that only a person who knew the significance of the key would take it.

(The significance?)

Music: Gusty Town

Why did she want to talk to you about me?

Frank. Why did Mags wanna talk to you about me?
Perhaps because she knows I used to be a detective.
She clearly trusts me.

Does Mags not know that Kyle also used to be a detective? Did Dylan actually somehow NOT blab it already?

That's not what I asked.
No?
Why was it me she wanted to talk about?
I thought I made that clear a moment ago. She believes that you are working for Nile as you stole the key.
But it doesn't make sense.
How did she come to know that I took the thing in the first place?

She did saw you right as she exit the café.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't drop me in it when you spoke to her?

You watch your tongue!
I told her nothing of the sort!

What's the key's significance?

What's the key's significance?
How should I know?
After all, you know far more about that damned key than I do.
And you've been spending more time up on the fourth floor than anyone.
Didn't you find anything that looked like this key could be used up there?
Not yet, I'm still only halfway through my investigation.
I didn't get a chance to finish because I was attacked.
You were what?!
Yeah, I let my guard down for a second.
they hit me with sleep spray, tied me up and locked the door.
I got myself out, but I never caught a glimpse of the attacker's face.
Who would attempt something like that?
My guess is it's somebody who got jittery at the thought of me being on the fourth floor.
And they're willing to do just about anything to keep their secrets hidden.
Mr Hyde, you don't think it could be...
Right! There's only one person it could be!

Why didn't I realise it sooner?
Indeed.

Oh dear...
What is it?
I may have made a terrible mistake, Mr Hyde.
A mistake? About what?
When you told me that it was Michael McGrath's son of all people that sent you the order
to go searching for the Scarlet Star...
That's when I chose to hint that Michael McGrath kept his secrets hidden somewhere,
like in a diary. I thought this was a chance to utilise your expertise in assisting me in finding evidence to expose Hugh Speck and his corruption.
However, this may have caused Mrs Patrice to question her trust in you.

Do I detect...guilt? Will Frank turn out to be not that big of an rear end in a top hat?

Come on, Frank...
Don't flatter yourself.
What?
You think I was just doing what I was told?
I wanted to look around the building and that's exactly what I did.
The reason I did it was to uncover the truth of 25 years ago. Simple as that.
The truth of 25 years ago?
Do you mean to tell me that you're not looking for the Scarlet Star?
Oh, I'll find it alright.
But only because it'll be instrumental in uncovering the truth I'm looking for.
What are you so keen on finding out about 25 years ago, Mr Hyde?

Music stops
What?
You got something to say?
No...
It's nothing...
Yeah, well your face is telling me a different story!
If you've got something to say, now would be the time to say it!
I'm feeling a little tired, Mr Hyde. I think I'll head back to my room now.
Not so fast, Frank.
Are you implying I'm running away?
If you're keen on hearing more about 25 years ago, feel free to join me in my room.

Frank finishes speaking and heads upstairs.

(His face went whiter than a mime's when I mentioned my dad.)
(So, Frank's gonna tell me about what happened 25 years ago, is he? Wonder what he knows...)

Here we are again. Let's hope things will go better this time.

Knock

Well, here I am. Now talk.
Of course.
Please come in.

*Kyle gets in*

(So this is where Frank holes himself up.)

Music: Blue Lady
Can I offer you a drink?
Save it for a real guest, I'm just here to hear what you have to say.
Well I intend to have a drink, so please, just join me.

Frank heads in the direction of the kitchen.

Hmm. Well, in that case,

sorry to have kept you waiting.

That smells pretty good.
Now that I think about it...
you're the only person who's been in here and had a coffee with me.
What about your family?
My wife passed away ten years ago after a lengthy battle against illness.
I have two children, but we haven't met in years.
How do they feel about you trying to restore your name with the LAPD?
About trying to find clues to expose Hugh Speck for the last 25 years?

Why not?
No sense in keeping the problem to yourself. I'm sure they'd support you.
After all, when Hugh Speck had you removed from your post,
they had to support you then. Don't you think they have a right to know?
Don't you dare try to tell me about how to treat my family!
No offence, but if I had a dad like you, I don't think I could stand it.
Just my two cents, though.
You clearly don't understand at all, Mr Hyde.

There's more to it than that.

Music stops
25 years ago during the Condor case, my name wasn't the only thing lost...
The mess that Hugh Speck caused also resulted in someone's death.
Whose?
The same man you've been looking into-the safecracker.
What?
So, Mr Hyde, would you care to tell me how you came to know about that man? Who told you about him?
Well...
Who told you? Tell me!

Dylan Fitchar? Does he even know Chris Hyde exists?

Dylan Fitchar.

I didn't mean to bold that text! :f5:

I doubt that oaf knows his left hand from his right.
Do you take me for some senile old fool?
Er...

Music: Lonely Goodbye
Mr Hyde...
For someone so keen to know the truth, you don't seem very sincere.
As I see it, there's little point in continuing to talk to you.
Please leave.
Wha...?
Come on, you can't just leave me hanging so close to the truth like this!
Guess I should've tried a lot harder than I did.

Music: Dream's End

Dylan: 9
Tony: 7
Mags: 6
Frank: 5
Charles: 3
Betty: 2
Sidney: 2
Marie: 2
Rex: 1
Will: 1
Punch: 7

That was stupid.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
It was nice knowing him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So Mags thought that the best way to deal with someone working for Nile was to spray them and then hide in her room.

That makes perfect sense and definitely isn't a good way to get whacked.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
It makes perfect sense if one slip of someone's tongue makes you more suspicious of Kyle (and Tony) than several years of Dylan.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Michael McGrath's son

Did I bold that right? Good.

Michael McGrath's son. He told me about a man who'd crept into the manager's office and...
I see.

I want you to tell me about the safecracker who was killed here 25 years ago.
Tell me everything you know.
Come on, Frank, you just told me... You said that this person had gotten involved in the case you were working on.

Tell me...

Did you help him get in?

Did you help him get in?
Yes, I did.
So you and this safecracker knew each other beforehand, then?
No, we didn't.
Gregory was there thanks to the information he got from a contact I often used.
Gregory? Who's Gregory?
That's the name his associates used for him, at least.
I seriously doubt it was his real name, just something he used while working.
Gregory was a safecracker who'd never been arrested and was well-known in the field. He was also knowledgeable on Condor.
I figured I could use a person like that in my plans.

However...

But Hugh Speck put an end to all that.
How did Hugh Speck put an end to your plan 25 years ago?
What did he do? Well, he...
Tell me the whole story.

Let me guess. Hugh Speck...

Told Condor about your plan

Hugh Speck told Condor about your plan.
That's right.
And that was also why Gregory was silenced.

Frank...
What?
Enough beating around the bush.
Excuse me?
I need you to tell me exactly what you were planning to do 25 years ago. All of it.
What do you mean?
I thought I made that clear from the start. What I need to know is precisely what happened with the safecracker 25 years ago.
You know the truth behind the death that occurred that night and you're gonna tell me.
You win, Mr Hyde, I'll tell you what you need to know.
But on one condition...
I'm listening...

What the hell's that supposed to mean?
Well, I would have thought an ex-detective like yourself would have known.
It's time you demonstrated to me exactly how much you want to hear the truth. If you expect to get anything out of me, you're going to have to work for it. If you choose your questions well, I'll talk. I'll tell you everything you want to know.
But if you aren't able to ask the right questions, our little chat stops here.
You've got yourself a deal.

Music: Sharpened Blade

What kind of agreement did you have?

What was your plan 25 years ago?

What was it that happened to you?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not really sure how detectives or police handle these things, but I feel like leaving an important operation to handle a personal affair is kind of... something that shouldn't be done?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Knock "Who is it?" I hear Mags's voice from inside her room.

We need to talk, Mrs Patrice.

"Mr Hyde... I'm on the phone with Mr Raver at this moment. What do you need to talk to me about?"

About Michael McGrath and the diary he left behind.

"I see. Very well."

:stare: Frank does an amazing job.

Yes, what is it?
I never thought you could do something so underhanded.
I could say the same to you, Mr Hyde.

I thought you'd have realised by now, I'm not working for Nile!
Then explain to me why you were poking around the fourth floor and why you took my key!
How'd you even know I'd taken it?
Because I cannot think of anyone else who would have done so, that's why!
You have to admit, you've been asking me very probing questions of late...
Also, you seem to have taken to roaming about this building instead of going to work.
Dylan was also kind enough to warn me about you.
He told me I should be extra vigilant when you're around.

Did you find that amusing?
I never thought you'd be so dumb as to trust anything that comes out of his mouth!
I...
Guess you didn't know, huh?
Dylan's been watching you on behalf of his employer, Nile!
Excuse me?!
And not just you either... He was also watching another tenant whose relatives worked for Condor.
A relative of people working for Condor? I had no idea there was someone like that living here! Who is it?
Well, if you haven't got any interest in rocking the boat with Condor,
it's probably better if you remain in the dark about who they are.

That's a very good point.
But...
There's still something I don't understand...
Yeah, and what might that be?
You, Mr Hyde.
I still have no idea about you.
Exactly how do you figure in all this?
Me? Well, I...
25 years ago, a safecracker was killed here in the manager's office. He was my fater.
I beg your pardon?!

25 years ago, he had to go our on one last job before going straight. Three days later, his body was picked up in a downtown parking lot.
And the case remains unsolved.
He got caught up in a police investigation to uncover Condor's secret fencing operation at Hotel Cape West. And it was there that he was killed. I only found all this out after you gave everyone the eviction notice.
And how, exactly, did you come to know all this?
I got my information from a person connected to Condor, who lives in this building.
They told me that my dad came in here to steal the Scarlet Star.
But he was killed and the gem simply disappeared.
The Scarlet Star...
After I'd found that out, I made my decision. I would expose everything about this building's hidden past.
So that's the reason you came in here and searched around, I suppose?
Right.
Why'd you buy a building that was marked by Condor?
And then why'd you suddenly decide to sell up?
These are things I need answers for.
Tell me everything you know.
Just how much do you know about Condor?
I've got no interest in talking about such things.

Listen, Mrs Patrice, you can't just ignore this. I'm gonna get an answer from you.
Why are you so afraid to explain things to me?

Is it because your husband was Condor's ringleader?

Is it because your husband was Condor's ringleader?
Yes, that's precisely the reason! After he injured his hands he couldn't play the saxophone anymore... He changed.
He got his first job from them courtesy of a customer who came to the restaurant.
After it went well, he began to realise that he was in too deep to turn back.
Before too long, he was the ringleader of the criminal organisation known as Condor.
He eventually roped an old friend, the hotel manager, Michael, into his work too.

Who killed Kathy McGrath 13 years ago?

Even if you're not gonna talk, you're definitely gonna listen. The person who murdered Kathy McGrath was...

George Patrice!

It was George Patrice!
I'm afraid that's right. It was George who killed her.
But why did he do it?
He told me why.

Music: Sharpened Blade

How did they manage to sell it secretly?

How did Michael and George manage to sell the jewellery secretly?
George didn't keep the stolen goods to himself, but entrusted them to Michael. Michael stored them in the safe inside the manager's office.
Once a buyer had been found, George would get in touch with Michael and cash would be exchanged for the jewellery when the buyer came to the hotel.
George would then take receipt of the cash immediately and receive his cut.
So the purpose of the parties held at the hotel was...

To steal jewellery from the guests

To find people to buy the jewellery

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Aha, we're at the apple painting section of the game.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

(Looks like I'm drawing closer to what I've been looking for.)
(The clues are in the sketch, the photo and the key.)
(Now I think about it, this isn't the only photo of the hotel I have. Maybe I should compare them side by side.)

This one is just a "Spot the Difference" minigame. Unlike the last game, we're not told explicitly what it is beforehand.

It's still very obvious, though.

That's it, I've got it!
(There's a window that's missing from the newer photo. I'm positive the hidden chamber is between the elevator and room 405.)
(But how the hell am I gonna get to it?)
(There have to be more clues up on the fourth floor.)

Now should be a good time to have another look at our loots from the last two confrontations.

Music: Sobering Dream

We wouldn't need the pipe or the chair if we got sprayed after Tony gave us the crowbar.

Not that it matters much since the door is going to be destroyed either way :v:

I'm amazed that Frank manages to remember the exact key he gave to Gregory. He's still incompetent at actually investigating, though.

Obviously the sketch shows the places we need to investigate, but there's something else we can do right now.

We can compare the two hotel photos again, but Kyle will just reiterate the different number of windows.

Instead, what we're going to do is combine postcard piece with torn postcard.

I put the two parts of the postcard together.

Hmm... There;s something written on the back.

(Now all I need to do is find out what Michael was trying to hide using this.)

While we're at it, let's look at some updated character profiles too.

Surprisingly Hugh, Mags, George, Michael and Kathy all had their description unchanged.

With that done, let's look at the spots from the sketch.

Bed There's a huge bed on this side of the room. The mattress culd really do with being turned.

Condor The headboard has a small engraving of a condor on it.

Hmm... There's a Condor mark here...
(Considering the way it looks, it might have something to do with the markings on the fourth floor sketch.)
(I'd better scribble this down.)

Guess I'd better have a look at the other rooms.

This is pretty much just like that apple paintings section from Hotel Dusk. Except it's not as tedious.

Closet There's an old-looking closet at the back of the room. There's nothing inside.

Condor There's a small condor mark engraved on the inside of the closet door.

There's a condor mark engraved here, too.
(I'd better note this down.)

I personally feel like filling the drawings is just a waste of ink, but you do you.

Huh? What's this? This Condor's head is turned in a different direction.

Middle chair There's a wooden chair. The leather covering's gotten pretty tattered and worn.

Condor There's a small condor mark engraved on the side.

I don't know why they decided to add these marks to random furniture around the floor. Dunning hiding his daughter's name within several paintings made more sense, at least.

Desk There's a small desk with an open drawer. There's nothing inside.

Condor There's a small condor mark engraved on the side.

It would've been better if we can see these marks subtly

Dresser This dresser's in desperate need of some attention from a feather duster.

Condor There's a small condor mark engraved onto the dresser.

The one in Room 406 doesn't count, apparently.

I don't think we've examined before. None of the windows in the other floors can be examined, in any case.

Window The window's encrusted with dust.

Condor There's a small condor mark engraved into the window frame.

(I'd better jot this down.)

From the looks of my notes, all the condor marks are pointing in different directions.
Okay, it looks like I got all the circle marks that were indicated on the sketch.
(Now to try and figure out what the six condor's mean. And also to try and work out what that note on the sketch was for.)

You hear that? Sounds like it's time for another :siren:Audience Challenge:siren:

So how do we enter the secret room? As a reminder, the note on the sketch reads "The far side of the moon".

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 28, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I actually remember this answer!

So I guess I can't guess. :negative:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We tear through the drywall with the crowbar.

I doubt the game will actually let us cut the gordian knot though.

PizzaThief
Sep 22, 2006

Traveling through time AND space?
The position of the condors feels like they relate to a clock face. They probably relate, ultimately, to the combination on the safe.

We need to use the mysterious key Mags gave us to stop the elevator between floors. (What's his face mentioned the elevator stopping oddly before). That's our ticket to the secret passage.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I was so certain this was going to be it until he went haring off after spinning condors.

From the stuff on the back of the postcard, I think you have to punch buttons in the elevator to open an overly-elaborately hidden door. But I have no idea how the condors fit into it. They look like a substitution cipher, where numbers 1-6 correspond to directions to turn something, but hell if I know what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Back to the question of how do we get into the secret room...

FoolyCharged posted:

You guessed correctly in that the game won't let us just bust through the wall with the crowbar.

Even if the game lets us do that, I'm pretty sure Mags would sue us for property damage if we do that which would lead to a Game Over.

Truthkeeper posted:

I was so certain this was going to be it until he went haring off after spinning condors.

From the stuff on the back of the postcard, I think you have to punch buttons in the elevator to open an overly-elaborately hidden door. But I have no idea how the condors fit into it. They look like a substitution cipher, where numbers 1-6 correspond to directions to turn something, but hell if I know what.

The stuff about the elevator is pretty close.

Fun fact: the elevator button in this floor still works even though there shouldn't be any electricity here.

Hmm... That lock looks suspicious. Let's see if the key Mags gave us is for this lock.

Use small key on lock

The moment of truth. Time to use this key.

I use the small key and open the cover.

What the...?

Switch There's a tiny switch in the place where the button came off.

What's this?
It looks like some sort of control switch.

I switch it on.

With the switch turned on, we can press the other buttons without getting the elevator to react.

We CAN turn off the switch during this minigame and press another button, but that'll just get us off the elevator as usual.

What we need to enter is written in this code. The Condor's body points to the square and its head points to the symbol within the code.

The number shows the order of the button press. That means we need to press 3, 1, R, open, 2 and close in that order.

Huh?

The elevator starts to move.

Wait. It's stopped! Where is this?

(But why's it stopped here?)

PizzaThief posted:

The position of the condors feels like they relate to a clock face. They probably relate, ultimately, to the combination on the safe.

We need to use the mysterious key Mags gave us to stop the elevator between floors. (What's his face mentioned the elevator stopping oddly before). That's our ticket to the secret passage.

No clocks or safes involved, but this guess is very close.

*Some sound*

(Huh?)

Maybe it came from outside?

I press the button, but nothing happens.
Is this thing broken?

If it's not from outside, then...

Bench There's an L-shaped bench in the corner of the elevator. A small hatch has opened up on the side of it.

Keyhole There's a small keyhole in the opening.

(Quite a place to find a keyhole.)
(Could this be...)

We do have one more unknown key.

Use Condor key on keyhole

Maybe if I try this key...

It worked!

I lift up the side panel of the bench.

(Looks like a hidden entrance of some sort.)
(Looks like it goes in quite a way.)
(Nothing for it but to go in.)

Alright! Found it!

(There's no mistaking it, this must be the place. This is where Condor sold their stolen jewellery.)
Right, time to look around.

Typewriter I'm not gonna try typing on this thing. Dust would fly everywhere.
(It must have been a really long time since this was last used.)
Stationeries A load of papers are scattered about on the desk.

Papers Some sheets of writing paper have been left here. drat, the handwriting is too smudged to read.
Ink It's an inkwell.
(It won't open. The ink must have hardened.)
Book There's a kind of ledger on top of the table.
What could this have been used for?
Let's see...

Gold, Silver and...Scarlet.
Looks like I've struck the mother lode here. It's an item-by-item list of jewel sales.

Pen stand There's a pen stand on the desk. No pen in it, though. Only dust.
Clock There's a clock on the desk, but the hands have stopped. Kind of sad really.
Phone There's an old-fashioned telephone on the desk. No cord though. Guess I won't be making any long-distance calls.
Lamp A lamp that clips into the edge of the desk. Looks like it should be part of an interrogation.
Table A large wooden desk with a drawer. I'll see what's inside.

Pens Three marker pens in different colours: red, black and blue.
Envelope Inside the drawer is an old, brown envelope.
(Is there something inside?)
What's this?

At a closer glance, it appears to bear the words "Los Angeles Police".
It's an LPAD badge.
Why the hell would something like this be hidden here?
(There's something else inside the envelope.)

The photo shows three men. As I stare at the photo, I realise that I recognise the man wearing a hat on the right. I saw another photo of him before, in Mags's room.

(It's George Patrice!)
On the left-hand side of the photo, there's a man wearing a tuxedo. He's got a name tag pinned to his chest.
(That tag...)

is the name "Michael McGrath".
(I see. So this is Michael McGrath.)
There's a worried-looking man in the centre who George has his arm round.
(Who is that man?)
I stare at the man in the photo. Suddenly, there's a flash of realisation and I know who he is. I recall where I saw him before. He was featured in that TV show...

(It's a young Hugh Speck.)
This photo shows just how Hugh Speck and Condor are connected. Now I think I know the meaning of the police badge, too. It's for collateral, and as a sign of his devotion to their cause.

Looks like we found what Frank was searching for! :toot:

Picture It's a framed picture of the classic card designs for the aces.
(It looks really old.)

Front chair The poker table is surrounded by wooden chairs.
Table A round table covered in green felt. The classic poker table.
Cards Three hands of cards are sitting face-down on the table. They look like they've been left mid-game. For quite a while too, judging from the dust.
Chips Poker chips are piled up in a few places on the table.
Back chair The poker table is surrounded by chairs. They're very dirty and look pretty unstable. Yeah, I think I'll just stand...
Dartboard There's a dartboard on the wall. No darts in it, though. Never mind... I'm more of a billiards man anyway.
Boxes Some wooden boxes with text stamped on them are piled up next to the sofa. They're nailed shut.
Sofa There's a sofa over by the wall. It looks like some of the colours rubbed away.

Lamp There's a lamp on the wall above the painting.
Painting There's a framed painting on the wall.

Zoomed-in lamp The light is turned off.
(Is the light just there to illuminate the painting?)
Zoomed-in painting The painting is of a ship traversing the waves while a lighthouse guides the way.
A boat and a lighthouse...
(There's a lamp on the wall just above the painting. Is that a switch below the frame?)
Switch I switch it on.

drat, that's bright!
(What's the story with this?)

:thunk:

Shadow There's the shadow outline of a condor on the wall.
What's up with this shadow?
(The beak of the condor is pointing at a card.)
(What could it be trying to say?)
Picture It's a framed picture of the classic card designs for the aces.
(Interesting.)
(A shadow of a condor has appeared underneath the cards.)

There's nothing here anymore, so let's leave.

I leave the hidden chamber.