Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if a guy does free repair work for his landlord he deserves all the poo poo kyle can dish out

unless it's in lieu of paying rent, but still that's likely worth more than the actual rent - good handymen are pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Does Kyle have a glass jaw? How does getting punched stop the story from progressing?

Also, I didn't remember Tony being such an rear end in a top hat.

I'm guessing like some of the Dusk game overs, it's because you piss people off so much that you won't get any kind of help from them, thus you can't get any key information so the trail will go cold - and unlike say a Sierra game, Cing isn't going to let you play a deadman walking scenario.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Tony did nothing wrong. #JusticeForTony

But seriously, how did she drop it without even realizing it?

she said she set it down, so she probably accidentally knocked it off while cleaning.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Like yeah, he's kind of justifiably mad at Kyle (give a job to your friend's kid and he basically takes advantage and half-rear end it), but you would think 'Hey some weirdo found out my real job and put it in my home mail box' would get more attention.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'll eat my non-existent hat if the mayoral candidate is somehow NOT involved with the murder Rex's looking into.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and Kyle's Landlady may not even accept checks as it can take up to a week to clear back then, more if it's over a certain amount and given she's going to be out of there, and possibly looking for a new place to stay herself, she would rather have certain hard cash now than a possible bounced check.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I can see how a lot of people got this game over, it's punishing the player for doing what you've been trained to do - like how are we expect Kyle to be a total idiot here instead of I don't know... sussing things out and saving Tony from a scam.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Truthkeeper posted:

So long as I'm complaining about people, does Mags actually have the ability to just demand payment by the end of the day? Last time I checked, evicting somebody, especially over unpaid rent, is a legal process that takes months. Even demanding they all vacate as quickly as she did seems super-shady and more than a little illegal.

Depending on state, they heavily favor the landlord or the tenant. But yeah, looks like you can evict someone for non-payment for as little as three days in advance, and given the circumstances - that someone bought them out and is demolishing the building - if she gave noticed before accepting payment, she's in the clear in that case.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's more of a Britishism

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

wedgekree posted:

In the US, at least, in many states recording someone without their knowledge or consent is illegal if one isn't a law enforcement authority. So planting a recording device in a public area is something that one could be arrested for. The owner of the place could also press charges for it (harrassment of customers, criminal tresspass). Depends on the state, but putting a recording device in a privately owned location (especially a business) without the owner's knowledge to spy on a specific individual definitely qualifies. Plus harrassment and stalking statutes.

California passed it's Invasion of Privacy Act in 1967, and it's a two-party consent state for recordings (with exceptions if you're in a place with no reasonable expectation of Privacy such as a street), so Foster is definitely breaking that law.

Now I wonder what he's expecting to find, that Marie's late husband isn't late...?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like it's a cycle of Tony mooching off of people, annoying the hell out of them and knowing he's constantly having money issues, so they jump to the worst conclusion when something's missing, and probably never once apologized to him when they do find their thing, so Tony holds a chip on his shoulder, feels less guilty about begging for money from them, and it just becomes a feedback loop of the tenants constantly backbiting each other.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 23, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Isn't Frank's recorder damaged? the Adhesive might be good for him

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Betty is being used by Rex to get access - Maria is his main focus, but probably not the only one.

the old man was involved in one of the old cases, that's why he can't leave well enough alone.

Everyone else just caught up in the crossfire so to speak, least that's my take on it - with Dylan and Tony both most likely to get the literal end of it if the series is darker in tone.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, there's no way Speck isn't involved with past events.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The first game doesn't laff about with the plot-related dialogue/screen shot, so having us see Dylan with that face is probably is game showing us that he's probably not just a handyman who watched too many episodes of Magnum P.I and Colombo.

I mean we've joked about him being up to no good, but maybe he really is.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, what was all that about? That is just really out of character for Kyle and he's not even drunk. Was it a 'drat we don't have a game over for this segment, we better slap one in'?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Give him the money

It might be a christmas miracle.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jesus, on what planet does he live on where he thinks you get someone to pal up by insulting them?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That's what - 3 mysterious car wrecks with involvement with the hotel.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hotel Dusk kind of implied the timing of everyone coming in was due to a Christmas Miracle, but it's not outside of the genre for incidents to arise due to really improbable coincidences.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

or something with stupidly quick timing and no chances of doing it over (like booting the god drat cat)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FoolyCharged posted:

I also seem to recall a couple puzzles with "solutions" that locked you into a game over because they used items you needed in later puzzles.

Sierra games were pretty bad.

yep the yeti one is the most infamous in both 'can screw yourself out of it' and 'the solution is absurd'.

You meet a starving eagle (you'll need to feed it), you can give it meat, or a pie, you need food to progress over the mountain, the game doesn't tell you the meat has two portions. You later get attacked by a Yeti, the solution? Throw the loving pie at it's face. fed the eagle the pie? you're screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think it's Frank as well, Mags could easily call the police and have them thrown out using her authority as the owner, and her wording when talking to Kyle about her husband does sound like she genuinely doesn't know George is involved with dirty business, let alone who killed him. Also she would have to either overhear Tony and Kyle talk or coincidentally went up to the 4th floor and notice it's open.

Frank would likely have such a spray due to police connections, doesn't like Tony (so no qualms about jumping him), has a clear axe to grind and a stubbornness to keep at it, and cop likely he knew leaving two bodies would be too dangerous or still have some qualms about actually murdering someone, so just knocks them out, grab the diamond and left. And Frank would know Kyle is investigating.