Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I am most disappointed with Rugga. In my run of the game I sided with him, and other than the first mission being different and maybe like two lines of dialogue the game otherwise plays out exactly the same. It was very weird to go from "hell yeah Rugga I agree down with monarchy" to "hey yo gently caress this guy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I respect a game that can actually carry "choices have consequences" all the way through its story. That was solid stuff, and I'm glad to have seen it.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

mauman posted:

so, what you're saying is that Bolverk kills everybody but the ones he actually WANTS to kill?

Wow, I'm impressed at that level of incompetence.

You're not wrong, but that's not exactly what I meant. The implication of Alfrun's death is somewhat...... nuanced.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I am most disappointed with Rugga. In my run of the game I sided with him, and other than the first mission being different and maybe like two lines of dialogue the game otherwise plays out exactly the same. It was very weird to go from "hell yeah Rugga I agree down with monarchy" to "hey yo gently caress this guy".

You might have been on Rugga's side but he wasn't on yours. As soon as you're into Arberrang he sees you as a rival to be removed. Both Rook and Alette are savvy enough to know that by then.

FairGame, will you at least show off the general setup of Survival? Playing out all 30 battles probably isn't worth it, especially since they're almost all battles from the main game just with free choice of your own team, but showing off the first one to show how the mode plays out would be worthwhile.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ArcadePark posted:

You're not wrong, but that's not exactly what I meant. The implication of Alfrun's death is somewhat...... nuanced.

Working on it.

Also, it seems I'm wrong about the "This isn't what Juno wanted" dialogue choice and how it works.

I'm correct that there are TWO checks per thing that he talks about : 1 for your in-game choice ("is baby alive/dead") and 1 for dialogue ("do you remind him the baby lives in a way that doesn't make him angry").

HOWEVER, it's additive rather than multiplicative.

So rather than "The baby is Alive" (+1) and "Eyvind you dumbass, the baby is alive" (+0) giving us 1*0 = 0 points toward a good ending, it gives us 1 point.

Which means I need to do some savegame editing to get us the worst ending because it's literally not possible given the good choices we made in previous games. Seems like we only need 3 points out of 8 possible to get Eyvind to believe that life is worth saving, and we have those 3 points from saving Castaway, saving the dredge baby, and waiting 3+ days at Sigrholm.

I'm not sure how I feel about that decision on the developers' part. On the one hand, it's nice that THE WORST ENDING is very difficult to get, and that's probably nice for people who didn't have a savegame to import. On the other hand, it means that choices really only mattered if you really screwed up along the way.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 21, 2018

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CODA 1: THE ALFRUN ENDING

A few of you voted for "B": to strike down Eyvind and let Alfrun do the ritual instead. This is what would have happened.

I think it's a defensible choice. Eyvind's not exactly trustworthy, and given that in a moment of grief he wrecked the world before, there's no reason to believe he won't do it again at a later date.

So we'll kill Eyvind before he finishes, and trust in Alfrun.
: For all our foresight, it was putting trust in my allies that doomed them.

What do you mean? She seems pretty confident everything is fine...

Oh.

Alfrun succeeds in the ritual and puts Juno back in the sun, destroying the Serpent, stopping the darkness, and crushing all the warped. However...

As flesh falls off of her in strips...

The tower collapses.

The rest of the ending plays out as you already saw: Aleo does his little poem, Zefr points out that there's hope and they can rebuild. But Oddleif never spots Iver on the horizon because Iver and all the Ravens die in the explosion. Juno is the only survivor of the darkness expedition, and she's trapped in the sun for eternity.

...I'm glad you didn't choose this one, guys.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm actually shocked the plan still worked though.

My first thoughts when she said "let me do it" were "Lady, you're not even fully TRAINED, how would you have the skill and power to make a loving sun?!".

Everybody dies is a good way to come to a compromise on how iffy that plan should be.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It's a decent safeguard: if you're not sure you can convince Eyvind, take the sacrifice to make sure he can't gently caress up the situation even more.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Haven’t forgotten that I owe alternate endings and maybe survival mode. But remember when I said my work schedule was about to get lovely and I was racing to finish?

I will get around to alternate endings as soon a second I’m able.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You completely destroyed the entire trilogy in record time, you take all the time you need.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

kw0134 posted:

You completely destroyed the entire trilogy in record time, you take all the time you need.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's been two days since your last update. That's really not hand-wringing amounts of delay, especially when you've been an update machine in general.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

kw0134 posted:

I once took a year to finish an LP. And that's a personal record - not even in the ballpark of the Let's Play forum's longest runners. One update a week is generally considered fast and punctual.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Xander77 posted:

I once took a year to finish an LP. And that's a personal record - not even in the ballpark of the Let's Play forum's longest runners. One update a week is generally considered fast and punctual.

The Virtue's Last Reward LP was something like 5 years.

A week or two for bonus content is fine.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

kw0134 posted:

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
I can't remember which LP it was...maybe the Final Fantasy VII one? That was a few years at least. You're doing just fine.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Or look at Grey Hunters day by day let's play of War in the Pacific.

Both of them.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's also that Planescape Torment LP that took 5 years to finish.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
TheDarkId also takes a long time. Don't even get me started on ChipCheezum's stuff.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

If we are allowed include former SA LPers, Proton Jon still hasn't concluded his Superman 64 LP, and that one started on June of 2010.

To be fair, he wanted to include ALL bugs of that game for his LP, so he may well still be collecting information. That, or he doesn't want to look back at that mess of a game. I wouldn't.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

TheDarkId also takes a long time. Don't even get me started on ChipCheezum's stuff.

What even happened to that guy, anyway?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

spirit armors lp of sakura something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Crane Fist posted:

What even happened to that guy, anyway?
Voidburger was banned for calling Lowtax out, and a bunch of people left in solidarity. I think Chip is dating her, so that's a given.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
This is flat out one of the best Let's Plays I've seen done on the forums, damned if I wasn't waiting for every update. Thank you so much for giving a wonderful showing of this fantastic series of games. I kickstarted the first one and even though I never got my poster I still have so much love for these games and bought them all the way down the line. As I don't think it's been said yet, Eyvind is named after Eyvind Earle whose work I'm fairly sure everyone has seen over the years in countless animated films. It's such a timeless and beautiful style that I think these games will go down in history as a touchstone of gaming style and artistry. The gameplay may have faults, the plot may have gaps but on pure style these games are among the best of the best.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

Voidburger was banned for calling Lowtax out, and a bunch of people left in solidarity. I think Chip is dating her, so that's a given.

drat, it's all gone down. Guess I'll just have to play MGS5 myself then

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Chip does have an ongoing MGS5 LP on his channel right now.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Our canon ending is sweet, but I'll still give Eyvind two months, tops, before he snaps again and tries to break Juno out of the new sun.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CODA 2: THE STUPID ENDING

Let's rewind a bit to when we met Bolverk for the final battle. Iver has had enough of this poo poo.

He's going to take Bolverk on alone.

: Out of my way, Iver!

Honestly, I was trying to throw this fight but Iver's so damned strong he took out 2 warped dredge and beat the hell out of Bolverk before he finally fell.

This took a WHILE.

As someone previously stated, you can lose the final battle. But it means that all the Ravens distract Bolverk as you make a desperate run for the White Tower with only Iver/Eyvind/Juno. AND NOT ALFRUN.

So when we have our dialogue it'd be really stupid to cut down Eyvind so that...no one can do the ritual. And yet we will get that option.

Doing this would be very stupid, obviously.

YOU HAD SO MANY OTHER CHOICES!
: In the end, putting my trust in Iver would be our doom.

: The darkness remains, and continues to consume all.

Well, I mean...Bellower's alive at the bottom of a warped ocean somewhere, I guess.

This is the worst ending: the world dies along with everyone in it, save for Juno and (presumably) Bellower.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Yeah, even Juno is stumped.

Just...... Why?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's an achievement for getting this ending, too. I guess if you just thought the world itself is awful and simply had to go.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Well that's depressing. :(

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly props to the devs for even making that an option as implausible as that actually is.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm somewhat disappointed they didn't go for the extra gut punch of showing off a corrupted Iver and/or Skogr survivor.

You know, just to twist the knife at how lovely this ending was.

Or did the zombie-like corrupted disintegrate once the serpent achieved his goals....I guess?

Also, wouldn't Bolver still be around?

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 25, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The "you know what, gently caress this poo poo" ending.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ArcadePark posted:

Yeah, even Juno is stumped.

Just...... Why?
The cost of allowing choices in a game is the possibility (probability) that gamers will find a way to more or less stick their metaphorical dick to a blender and set it to puree.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Jack2142 posted:

Honestly props to the devs for even making that an option as implausible as that actually is.

That's Planescape Torment levels of following through, drat.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Not on my watch, Eyvind! All right, Alfrun, you... uh... oh, right. poo poo."

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CODA 3: THE DESTRUCTION ENDING

I had to do some savegame editing to get this to trigger.

For starters, I flipped the "waited at least 3 days in Sigrholm" counter to 0.

Which makes Eyvind really mad when he does his check.

And we'll antagonize him further.

Then, when he asks about the dredge baby...

I flip the bit that says the baby's dead/abandoned, and have Iver piss him off some more by not even admitting remorse.

Touche, wizard. Now we'll get him mad about killing Castaway, the dredge stonehurler.

: You can't burn everything down over a few mistakes!

We don't need to change this one; we let the woman die.

In hindsight, the game gives you pretty good clues if you've been successful with Eyvind. In the canonical play, it explicitly tells you that it seems like you've persuaded him. Hell, even in the version where I trolled him but still had good decisions to fall back on, it told me that he seemed at least partially convinced that life was worth saving. Not so much, here.

So he has a little pity party.

Then he's kind of a jerk to Iver.

And he asks us to trust him.

Complete with a threat.

So he's clearly making a deal with the Serpent. Let's see what happens if we try to remind him of what Juno wanted.

: Eyvind, this isn't what Juno wanted.
Eyvind doesn't turn around, but you can feel his anger boiling over.

Oh. Well I guess we're getting the same ending after a--

:ohdear:

Well, that could have gone better.

Eyvind blows up the Serpent. Iver. The tower. Juno. Everything dies.

Everything.

Dies.

Arguably this is a better ending than the "whoops Alfrun's dead and we killed Eyvind" ending. At least here it's a clean death rather than having Juno wandering around alone forever.

Anyway, glad this didn't actually happen too!

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Bellower's still down in the depths.

That thing won't ever get salvation, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CODA 4: THE EYVIND ENDING

Let's see what happens if we trust Eyvind.
Eyvind debates with the Serpent, tension rising, until only a terrifying silence suddenly hangs between them.
: It's over. There has been an agreement.

: Do not fear what you see now. The world may be changed, but Arberrang will survive. And Juno will finally have peace.
Eyvind stands before Juno's hovering form and completes his part of the bargain.

: At least no warped remain to waylay us, and on the horizon now approaches Arberrang. Do I dare to hope?

We get the same "all surviving heroes" but they get to see a restored World Serpent who...maybe won't eat them because he should totally keep his word with the crazy wizard.

Everything from here is the same as in our canonical ending.

If you trust the Serpent to keep its word then I guess it's the 3rd best ending. But like...why would it? And how are people going to reach lands that were untouched by the darkness and more readily habitable when the Serpent has eaten all but the areas nearest to Arberrang.

Eyvind is a bad negotiator. Worst deal in history. Sad!

...and that's it for the endings. Remaining work for me:
1.) Revise the first couple updates I did before I hit my stride with automation, and get the images down to 900 pixels wide so we can go to the LPArchive.
2.) I'll show off Survival Mode in 2. I'm not paying $5 to buy it in 3; I don't like the combat enough in 3 to make it tolerable. To that end, we'll have 1 more vote. More on that in a moment.
3.) Any other stuff y'all wanted to see? I can probably trigger most things through savegame editing, though I don't trust myself enough to switch from Alette to Rook via edits.

As for the vote:
:siren:
We're going to play Survival Mode on NORMAL difficulty. And we're going to not bring Alette with us because she's overpowered as heck.

So...VOTE FOR SIX CHARACTERS. I'll play as far as I can take them and then we'll call it a wrap on the thread.

ARCHERS: No more than 2
Oddleif
Nid
Yrsa

HORSEBORN: No more than 2
Ro'Ech
Canary
Derdriu
Scathach

LANDSMEN: No more than 1
Eirik
Dytch

MENDERS: Choose 1. I won't take both, nor will I take 0.
Zefr
Eyvind

RAIDERS: No more than 2.
Dagr
Hogun
Mogun
Onef
Ekkill
Egil
Gudmundr
Oli

SPEARMEN: No more than 2.