Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crane Fist posted:

Like I said before, I've finished TBS3 once and I'm specifically voting for different choices then the ones I made, because following along with the LP so far has illustrated that I basically did everything absolutely wrong in every situation

That's understandable, but FairGame explicitly asked people who already finished the game not to participate in the vote for this final decision.

FairGame posted:

Choose wisely. And for god's sake, if you've already played, stay the hell out of the vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

That's understandable, but FairGame explicitly asked people who already finished the game not to participate in the vote for this final decision.

Oh piss on it. I missed that completely. My bad! I'd delete my post but it wouldn't make any difference now that the vote has closed

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

FairGame posted:

: I'm here to kill the sniveling little bastard who caused all this.

We could have rushed Bolverk and started combat in close range.
Missing a screenshot describing our pre-combat options probably.

Also not available for me. I recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BknEW2CYE

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Xander77 posted:

Missing a screenshot describing our pre-combat options probably.
Also not available for me. I recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BknEW2CYE

1.) Nah, that's the "I've heard enough" dialogue choice a few screenshots previous. I guess I wasn't explicit.
2.) This is a location thing, I'm afraid.

Really do appreciate your catching errors for me this whole way, though. I know I've not updated the last few, but I'll get around to it shortly.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

UPDATE 44: FATE, CHOSEN

When it's all said and done, we have to believe Eyvind and Juno are good people and want to do what is right. Reminding Eyvind of his love for what he believes Juno to be--not his desperation to keep her alive--is what will save us. We hope.
Eyvind again stops speaking to the Serpent, but this time he turns to you with sorrow instead of anger.

BGM: FATE, CHOSEN

: Juno is everything this world deserves. Instead you got me. I'm so tired, Iver.

: Forgive me, Juno. I'll love you always.

You all chose correctly. By reminding Eyvind of what this was all for, he goes through with the ritual, puts Juno back into the sun to be trapped for all eternity, and immediately ends the Serpent, warped, and darkness. All of the Ravens survive and begin the long trek back to Arberrang, where they can only hope their friends and families will be there to greet them.

Thanks to the decisions you made in the previous two games, we had more than enough strength in the Skogr banner to hold out (even after I savegame edited to make sure we'd see most of the Arberrang content.)

The world has clearly taken a goddamn beating, though.

...and that's largely it, to be honest. Credits roll and other than a quick dialogue that we'll get to in a moment, we're done here. Which I really hate. I mean...the story's over. But I'd have killed for a Suikoden-esque one or two sentences about the future of each hero as the credits rolled. Stoic had to throw out several months' worth of work when they were putting the game together and I suspect a lot of the ideas for a fleshed-out ending were on the cutting room floor. It's not Mass Effect 3--the ending makes sense and your choices matter--but I still think it's unnecessarily abrupt. I'm going to do my best to fix that for all of you by tying together some of the other content that you wouldn't see except on subsequent playthroughs.

But first, the dialogue.

BGM: ONLY WE FEW REMEMBER IT NOW

: Whatever "it" is. But the sun's actually moving again. For a long time, things were looking pretty hopeless.

: Not all of us.
: No, but enough.

: Grass and green will sprout from the dust. I believe there are other survivors. Varl in the north, perhaps huddled around godstones. South of the darkness there may still be horseborn fleeing across the fields, or ships of men. Or dredge without Sundr.
: So we rebuild. I just wish that my dad could be here to see this.
: I know how proud he'd be.
: For a long time now I've been thinking of an epic poem. You'll never guess the inspiration.

: This seems like an ideal moment.

: Only the sun has stopped, cut with keen-edged Sword.
Little did they sleep, lest they not come home.
Weary, the weight of the Sun! Of our bones, the hills...
The Slayer, and the Slain.
From their homes must all flee, and cast their Hone into the air!
To speak in all tongues where a foe may lurk, the destined day shall come.
The Fetters will bust, brothers fight, and kinship stain...
And in Fear quake all.
The true Hero comes reluctantly, raising high their Shining light...
Alas, the sea is still dead and wide, the hounds are a-hungered.
We live as we will live, with the mighty grief that was ours and theirs.
Only we few remember it now.

: It could use a couple more verses, at the end there.
Aleo laughs.
: Aye, you're right. It certainly could.
Editor's Note: Given that his poem is just all the chapter titles throughout the Saga, I can't see this as anything other than an in-joke that they wish they'd had more time to add on to the ending. Perhaps DLC one day, though it's a small studio and I rather doubt it.

You squint into the ashes of twisted land, spread out across the horizon. Oddleif's right. Something there is moving. It looks like a line of people, and at the front...

...and that's the last we'll see of our heroes. A lot obviously is left to interpretation and (ugh, ME3 flashback) speculation. But it's at least pretty clear Iver and the Ravens make it home to Arberrang.

Alette and Egil will have time to stop being so awkward (well, he'll have time; Alette's just fine) and see if there's actually something there.

Hogun and Mogun are reunited, and Hogun can stop worrying and go back to just being a family man.

Krumr and Ubin both yet live and can continue their contest.

Alfrun and Kivi can meet up with Bastion and help negotiate a peace among the races. They've been able to forgive Yngvar, and given what he's been through (as well as the fact that the Sundr are all dead or missing) it's not unreasonable to believe all parties can move past it.

Zefr lives, and if she insists life will return, I think it's worth trusting her. She knew what the darkness could do--and more importantly, what it can't do. As shown by Apostate finding food for the Ravens in the midst of the darkness, food can still grow. Our heroes and the hundreds of thousands of lives across all four sentient races that they saved will have a rough go of it, but they will survive and rebuild.

All told, the only heroes who died on the journey were Griss and Derdriu, who are also probably the two least consequential heroes in the whole game. Neither of them has a conversation or an event tied to them. I'm sure Ro'Ech's not real happy about losing his mate, but :shrug:

Fasolt probably died too when he defected, but screw Fasolt. Guy’s a jerk.

Oh, and one unavoidable death: Rook, the Hero of Skogr. But even he gets a happy ending that we wouldn't see ordinarily. What I'm about to show you only pops into the ending if the Sundr-Slayer dies while negotiating a peace between the dredge and humanity--what our saving the dredge baby prevented.

BGM: FATE, CHOSEN (unfortunately this shares the same track with Iver's choice so hopefully the time skip in the link works here...)

: I remember this place. Where my mother would braid my hair, and we'd gather flowers. It's where Iver carried me on his shoulders. This is where my father taught me to hold a bow.

: This is my home.

: It really is.

: But I failed, father. I'm so sorry! I wasn't strong enough, I...I couldn't save them...
: Sweet girl, you failed no one.

: Do you remember gazing a the night sky with me, before all of this? I've been watching the stars since I came here, and found that all those points of light are a different fate, for different people. Some are mead halls of endless feasts, some are glorious battles.

...obviously, this didn't happen in our version of the Saga because Alette's still alive to rebuild the world. But Rook unquestionably was reunited with his wife in the afterlife. And one day, when they're ready, he'll welcome Alette and Iver home as well. Iver's pretty clearly got human sensibilities and would be happier in a Skogr afterlife with his best friends than he would be in varl endless combat afterlife. Really, for a game this bleak I think it's nice. The ending itself has hope, but it's also made explicitly clear that death is not to be feared.

There's also some interesting before-and-after artwork in the credits, too.

Alette clearly had a pretty great childhood, having a cool varl uncle to ride around on.

Poor Folka. She really cared for Bolverk, but he had neither the personality nor even the anatomy to reciprocate. Her love was always going to go unanswered. At least we didn't get her killed at the hands of the person she loved most.

The "you're like a sister to me" line from Oddleif always struck me as, well...odd. She seems to've taken on the role of surrogate mom to Alette, teaching her to sew onto the Skogr banner after Aldis died.

Though both Aldis and Oddleif made Alette dangerous with the bow. Whichever one of them taught her Overwatch probably saved the world.

Not much to show here. Just the dredge baby and a couple varl (Sigbjorn probably one of them) drinking next to the Bellower cart.

I assume this is Ubin trekking south into the Dalalond.

I'm glad the Skogr banner has Alette beating the poo poo out of Rugga sewn into it.

And that Rugga is otherwise remembered as a treacherous garbage man.

We never really got to see this because you made a good vote. But Eirik (who is probably the third least consequential hero in the game, though maybe he has more dialogue if he returns to Strand and joins along with Alfrun) can befriend a bear and deploy him in battle.

Not sure about the upper right, but Hogun and Mogun are reunited.

Alfrun continues her work as a diplomat, which is probably made easier by the fact there no revengeful Sundr left to create endless war.

Took me a while to figure out what this is. I think it's the play that Aleo organizes early on in Banner Saga 2, where children recreate the Battle of Boersgard.

We already know Rook and his family end up reunited, so I guess they're doing stuff like this but in a prettier place with two moons.

Folka takes on leadership of the Ravens, and Sparr inexplicably hasn't died of old age yet. He'll continue telling tales a bit longer.

Eyvind and Juno in happier times.

And perhaps most importantly: Look in the lower right: that's Eyvind with the Valka Spear. Creating a Godstone Juno with the aid of some dredge. Which suggests that the dredge do make peace with humanity, that Eyvind finds a healthier way to deal with his grief, and also that the gods were really just really strong menders. The world has taken a beating, but it's a world that can still have gods, support life, and no longer has a world-ending Serpent waiting as a time bomb.

...and that's well and truly it. Our story is over. I'll make a couple more updates to show off alternate endings, and I need to fix the first couple updates so that the images can be archived on LPArchive. But we're basically done.

I hope you all enjoyed it. It's not a game without its flaws, and I wish the third game weren't so rushed, but it's absolutely beautiful and I'm glad I got the chance to experience it vicariously through all of you.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 20, 2018

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That went better than I expected. Yay!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Dang, that was abrupt as hell.

At least we got a happy(as much as the circumstances would allow) ending. :toot:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thank you so much. I'm so glad I got to see the end of this story.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FairGame posted:

Not sure about the upper right, but Hogun and Mogun are reunited.

The upper right looks like it might be Iver killing Raze. It's got his distinctive horns and he still has two arms.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I expected a bleaker ending than that. Having Juno's plan work and all the survivors saved seems too optimistic compared to the rest of the game. Although it's nice to see something good happen after all that.

That's a nice scene when Alette dies. Is there a similar one for Rook if Alette shoots Bellower?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

idhrendur posted:

That went better than I expected. Yay!

All hail the sun god Juno.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I expected a bleaker ending than that. Having Juno's plan work and all the survivors saved seems too optimistic compared to the rest of the game. Although it's nice to see something good happen after all that.

I think that last bit is the point. We acted like there might be a world after all this, and lo, there was.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's a nice scene when Alette dies. Is there a similar one for Rook if Alette shoots Bellower?

Yeah. I wasn't planning to show it since it's virtually identical. But either way, the hero of Skogr ends up ok.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Does telling Eyvind to do what Juno wants always have a positive outcome? The whole leadup to the decision, where Eyvind was talking about past events, kind of felt like the "talking down the final boss" endings in some RPGs, where you can only convince the big bad that he's wrong if events earlier in the game have gone a certain way. Is he less willing to listen if you've been an rear end in a top hat to everyone?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I got to say that the ending was suitably epic but I have to agree that the lack of a Suikoden epilogue for the surviving heroes and the world in general feels like one hell of an oversight, to me at least. I realize that the developers probably ran on fumes before they had to push the final game out the door but the lack of a proper writedown, when you have an ingame Varl who´s life mission is to write everything down, makes it feel a bit of a disappointment.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does telling Eyvind to do what Juno wants always have a positive outcome? The whole leadup to the decision, where Eyvind was talking about past events, kind of felt like the "talking down the final boss" endings in some RPGs, where you can only convince the big bad that he's wrong if events earlier in the game have gone a certain way. Is he less willing to listen if you've been an rear end in a top hat to everyone?

Yeah, there are two checks each for the four events Eyvind references.

The first check is an event check—did we spare the dredge baby or abandon it, etc.
If you pass that, you get a dialogue check—can you remind Eyvind that the dredge baby is still alive in a way that doesn’t piss him off?

You need to pass both checks for a given thing to pass. I THINK you only need two of the four things he references to work out for the “this isn’t what Juno wanted” option to work.

Otherwise, well...you’ll see when I do the other endings.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Dredge baby is so cute, though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's been a good time. While I think the third game is the weakest, and honestly the first game is probably overall the best, they're all fine games. But I definitely think halfway through they changed some things up with the story.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Now that we reached the end my speculation is Stravhs created the Dredge (not a nice guy) and used them in a sort of Melkor esque with Orcs bid to dominate creation. Bellower and some of the Sundr are more akin to Sauron etc. who cut a deal when Stravhs died probably a century or maybe two ago to ally with the surviving gods or their disciples the (Valka). Other gods probably just went into hiding.

Since Stravhs was a trickster god he created the serpent as a contingency plan if he died and the serpent would feed off the underground sun and gestate into an unstoppable monster. In millennial etc. Eynvid broke the egg/sun which unleashed the serpent and all the pent up "evil" magic it was supposed to feed on.

The Serpent I figure can sort of control the darkness because *insert bane joke* it is essentially the same thing. The Darkness corrupts and twists everything into a twisted parody of creation. So now the conspiracy is Juno now going to pop out of the evil sun in a few millenia to destroy the world or will she effectively emerge as a new god. Like the Valka may have been trying to create.

But in the end the story ties up the plot threads and doesn't leave things dangling. I didn't get the afterlife ending, but it would have been better for my Rook if he did.

Also I don't know if there will be other games but the guy who was one of the writers wrote a novel set in Strand so there might be more stuff even if the studio fails.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 20, 2018

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

:unsmith: Everything turned out not terrible

Eyvind better raise or at least put in place plans to raise a godstone Alette though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will say, that drawing of Juno and Eyvind in happier times is incredibly sweet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As is the one of Iver with little Alette riding on his horns. :3:

E: Iver is basically the best.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 20, 2018

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I'm okay with seeing events played out on the banner during the credits. Just...bring the Ravens back to Aberrang instead of Aleo reciting poetry. Maybe get Zefr to do a little narrating.

Eyvind taught Alette some mending basics. Maybe she could help put Manaharr back together?

Another trilogy set in the post-apocalyptic world would be sweet but I doubt it'll happen.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

queserasera posted:

Another trilogy set in the post-apocalyptic world would be sweet but I doubt it'll happen.

It'd be a very different game, sort of a Viking post-apocalypse SimCity. That would be interesting but I don't know how much interest the fans of a game like this would have in that.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Well, despite the abruptness...that ending still managed to pull on the ole heartstrings...

Now I'm worried about seeing the next updates :saddowns:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

ultrafilter posted:

It'd be a very different game, sort of a Viking post-apocalypse SimCity. That would be interesting but I don't know how much interest the fans of a game like this would have in that.

It could still be a tactics game featuring Alette and Egil's kid and Great-Uncle Iver. And Dredge Baby. And Krumr and Ubin because they will never die.

I'm surprised the youngest varl got maybe a paragraph of development then disappeared. The way everyone goes on about the long-lived giants, you'd think the littlest giant would factor in somewhere.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

queserasera posted:

I'm surprised the youngest varl got maybe a paragraph of development then disappeared. The way everyone goes on about the long-lived giants, you'd think the littlest giant would factor in somewhere.

As far as I know he's only there because people spotted a varl child somewhere in a background image in TBS1 and the studio had to justify it. Hence Kvig, who is in his fifties and still a literal child for a varl.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

queserasera posted:

It could still be a tactics game featuring Alette and Egil's kid and Great-Uncle Iver. And Dredge Baby. And Krumr and Ubin because they will never die.

Yeah I legitimately though Kvig would be a hero when he showed up with Fasolt in BS2. Kinda disappointed we just got Fasolt instead.

Also the Dredge baby crying in front of a varl with a blood dripping axe in the same panel as Hogun & Mogun, I think is supposed to be Iver and Raze/Bellowers child. To sew into the tapestry the story he told about how he was able to kill a Sundr.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 21, 2018

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Jack2142 posted:

Yeah I legitimately though Kvig would be a hero when he showed up with Fasolt in BS2. Kinda disappointed we just got Fasolt instead.

Fasolt is actually really good but never gets much of a chance to show it off in any of the parties he joins.

If I can ever figure out a way to make survival mode interesting, I will show off Fasolt.

Survival Mode gets rid of the weird turn order stuff. But it’s still just as unbalanced and terrible in BS3. It isn’t bad in BS2 if you actually bother to try and don’t just overwatch spam. (And even if you do overwatch spam, you won’t have enough willpower or a knock back item to make it a proper strategy.)

But I don’t think a screenshot LP of endless battle would be entertaining.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm pretty satisfied with the ending, though I too would've loved to hear from all of the heroes. They're full enough characters that I can imagine what happens next just fine.

I am also very glad Egil made it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

FairGame posted:

Fasolt is actually really good but never gets much of a chance to show it off in any of the parties he joins.

If I can ever figure out a way to make survival mode interesting, I will show off Fasolt.

Survival Mode gets rid of the weird turn order stuff. But it’s still just as unbalanced and terrible in BS3. It isn’t bad in BS2 if you actually bother to try and don’t just overwatch spam. (And even if you do overwatch spam, you won’t have enough willpower or a knock back item to make it a proper strategy.)

In Survival Erik was pretty good for me since he can get the warbear without the repercussions in the regular story. Fasolt isn't bad he is super tanky, since he has such high armor, slap some aggro drawing items to him and have a mender and you can use him to tank most things pretty easily.

Also another thing on Eirik he might not be super consequential in game, but in the story that I mentioned one of the writers wrote he is the main focus.

https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Hadrborg-James-Fadeley-ebook/dp/B01E7XODSU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Thanks for LPing this whole dang trilogy!

Believe it or not, you're allowed to lose the final battle with Bolverk. All you lose is... the lives of everyone in the Ravens' caravan, except for Iver, Juno, Eyvind and Alfrun.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

bewilderment posted:

Thanks for LPing this whole dang trilogy!

Believe it or not, you're allowed to lose the final battle with Bolverk. All you lose is... the lives of everyone in the Ravens' caravan, except for Iver, Juno, Eyvind and Alfrun.

Actually, Alfrun dies with the rest of the Ravens.

Yeah, you can guess what this means.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

FairGame posted:

A varl would. :black101:

Which gets me thinking about Bolverk. Is there any place in the game that explains exactly what happened to him, or is it like Juno and Eyvind's story in that you're supposed to sketch in the details?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Did we ever get an explanation for why Varl are so terrified by fire? Or is that just one of those details that's unexplained?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's a little extra vid by the developers hyping the third game that suggests he wears the bear pelt and cut off his own horns because he rejects the idea that he's born of a yox being melded with a man and insists he is a great bear of battle, at least.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

ArcadePark posted:

Actually, Alfrun dies with the rest of the Ravens.

Yeah, you can guess what this means.

so, what you're saying is that Bolverk kills everybody but the ones he actually WANTS to kill?

Wow, I'm impressed at that level of incompetence.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
According to Yrsa, and who knows where she got this from, the varl remember their god literally forging them with flame, and that hurt a WHOLE LOT, to the point where the sheer memory of the burning is enough to make them nervous around any fire.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mauman posted:

so, what you're saying is that Bolverk kills everybody but the ones he actually WANTS to kill?

Wow, I'm impressed at that level of incompetence.

Well, he kills them TOO but the Ravens buy you enough time to go do the ceremony (or not) while he was busy killing the Ravens.

I’ll get to all the alternate endings in a day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'd also like to point out the last and best gently caress you to Rugga: Killing him didn't cause any problems at all, despite what he thought.