Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoilers? As the title says, this is a blind playthrough, so no story-related spoilers. That being said, anything covered in one of my videos no longer counts as a spoiler. Hints for side content or other tips are also fine. :siren:

Yakuza is a Sega series about Kazuma Kiryu, a member of the Tojo Clan and the general life of a Yakuza member, if a bit more dramatic and over-the-top. The series had its start in 2005 where Toshihiro Nagoshi produced Ryū ga Gotoku (Like a Dragon) for the PlayStation 2 which became known as "Yakuza" when released in the west. Due to its success, it spawned a number of sequels, remakes, spin-offs, and even a prequel, the game I'll be playing here in this thread which was released in 2015, exclusive to Japan before finally getting a PlayStation 4 international release in 2017. It was then released again on the PC just this passing August and this will be the version I'll be playing. I know very little about the specifics of the Yakuza franchise aside from the basics, like the starring character Kazuma Kiryu. In terms of the specific plots of each story, or any sorts of plot twists, I'm completely in the dark. I am also aware there is a lot of side content in Yakuza games, sidequests and minigames in the like. While I will go out of my way to find these as I play, i have no particular intentions of completing the game 100%.

Let's Get This Started:
Part 1 - Enter Kazuma Kiryu
Part 2 - Framed for Murder
Part 3 - End of Chapter 1
Part 4 - Beast Style
Part 5 - Boozin' It Up
Part 6 - Enter Goro Majima
Part 7 - Odyssey
Part 8 - End of Chapter 3
Part 9 - Drinks with Sagawa and Dates with Akko
Part 10 - Order of Munan Chohept Onast
Part 11 - Crane Games, Dancing, and Mobile Phones
Part 12 - Makota Makimura
Part 13 - Brawler Training and Panties
Part 14 - Master Daigo and Yankis
Part 15 - Yamanoi
Part 16 - Real Estate Royale
Part 17 - Hey Cousin, Let's Go Bowling
Part 18 - More Bowling and Dirty Magazines
Part 19 - The Yakuza Way
Part 20 - Makoto's Past
Part 21 - Cabaret Club Czar
Part 22 - Nishitani
Part 23 - Ensnared
Part 24 - Takashi Nihara
Part 25 - Leisure King Battle
Part 26 - Nikkyo Consortium
Part 27 - The Videotape
Part 28 - Postcards and Shakedowns
Part 29 - Fishing and Cabaret Drama
Part 30 - Ryuji Goda
Part 31 - Club Mars Defeated
Part 32 - Club Jupiter Defeated
Part 33 - Club Mercury Defeated
Part 34 - Club Venus Defeated
Part 35 - Club Moon Defeated
Part 36 - Masaru Sera
Part 37 - Kiryu Never Kills
Part 38 - Electronics King Defeated
Part 39 - Kiryu's Future
Part 40 - Need Bizza
Part 41 - Pleasure King and Gambling King Defeated
Part 42 - Pocket Circuit Complete
Part 43 - Media King and Finance King Defeated
Part 44 - Tachibana Captured
Part 45 - Makoto's Struggle
Part 46 - Kuze and the Amon Clan
Part 47 - Black and White

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

(Reserving a post, just in case.)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I recently started playing this series myself, it's really a lot of fun and I hope you enjoy it as well

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Game in the video has no sound.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Carlosologist posted:

I recently started playing this series myself, it's really a lot of fun and I hope you enjoy it as well
Thanks. I've heard pretty much only good things about the series, so I'm sure I will.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Game in the video has no sound.
I can hear it fine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheLoneStar posted:

Thanks. I've heard pretty much only good things about the series, so I'm sure I will.

I can hear it fine.

Yeah just saying we can't.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There is game audio it's just so quiet you can barely tell it's there compared to the commentary.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Sorry about the audio issue, how is it now?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - Framed for Murder

Well, now we're getting deeper into the actual plot with some set-up against Kiryu for reasons not yet know. I'm still wondering why this Empty Lot is so important, or if it's just because it's part of a part of the city that's almost entirely take up by a number of families? Seems a bit lame, but I guess I can see some logic to it. I also can't help but be amused I accidentally called that Jaws actually turned out to be some kind of antagonist. I was just bullshitting around with that. Also, was I just missing it in the menu, or is there no way to double check where Speedwagon told me to go in order to learn more about fighting? I couldn't find it in the menus near the end of the video there and it's something I want to take care of in the next video, if I can. And I don't know if I'm just being a bit impatient, but that whole Bruno situation seemed to just drag on for way too long, like over ten minutes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The next story segment will explain why the Empty Lot is important.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Kiryu seems to be getting framed for murder alarmingly frequently.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

The next story segment will explain why the Empty Lot is important.
Alright, fair enough.

Part 3 - End of Chapter 1

Well as it turns out I downright suck at this game, especially when swarmed by a whole bunch of opponents. I'm just going to switch over to the easy mode from now on. That aside, even when in those attempts that I lost, I had a ton of fun with the combat. A big part of this being the outright brutal finishers and QTEs sprinkled throughout. It almost got funny how that one guy just kept coming at me no matter how many times I took him out. As for the story, was not expecting to fight Kuze so soon, though I wasn't positive I'd have to at all, but I thought there was a chance. Also did not expect Dojima to appear so soon, nor for the first chapter to be done with so quickly either. Thinking about it, I have no idea how long this game's story is, nor do I really know anything about the side content or how much of it there is. I do want to go looking around the city in the next episode, see what I can find.

Anywhere in particular I should go first before moving on with the story? I know that Speedwagon-looking guy wanted to meet with me again, should I go find him first?

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Hint and tips:
- Rush style is no great at fighting group of enemies. Use it when fighting single tough foes like bosses or the big dude with a couch (though I prefer Brawler). Rush also can't grab stuffs or enemies.
- Why are you spamming heavy attacks? Doing a heavy attack after a light combo is much better at dealing damage like Brawler's backhand smash (light-light-light-heavy attack) which is also great for slamming down nearby enemies.
- Money is Yakuza 0 is very plentiful and items are cheap. Have healing items at all times. Like you said: only you are allowed to cheat.

Having a long stage + a boss fight that early in the game is a kick in the butt. If you don't like Kuze, don't worry, it won't be last time you've heard of him.

The side content really opens up in the next chapter. There's a lot of side content, unique and interesting sub stories, and many more. You can only meet up with the Speedwagon after getting Kiryu's 3rd style, and you should do that if you want to upgrade your styles.

Edit: I ended up laughing out loud when you ended up running in circle during Kuze's boss fight and him chasing you like a schoolyard bully which is not out of character in the Yakuza universe.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 7, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Train and upgrade much as you can, with Speedwagon and his associates. And yeah, playing on Easy is probably best since this is your first Yakuza game. Hey I’ve played the whole series practically and I still prefer Easy to experience the story.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Hint and tips:
- Rush style is no great at fighting group of enemies. Use it when fighting single tough foes like bosses or the big dude with a couch (though I prefer Brawler). Rush also can't grab stuffs or enemies.
- Why are you spamming heavy attacks? Doing a heavy attack after a light combo is much better at dealing damage like Brawler's backhand smash (light-light-light-heavy attack) which is also great for slamming down nearby enemies.
- Money is Yakuza 0 is very plentiful and items are cheap. Have healing items at all times. Like you said: only you are allowed to cheat.

Having a long stage + a boss fight that early in the game is a kick in the butt. If you don't like Kuze, don't worry, it won't be last time you've heard of him.

The side content really opens up in the next chapter. There's a lot of side content, unique and interesting sub stories, and many more. You can only meet up with the Speedwagon after getting Kiryu's 3rd style, and you should do that if you want to upgrade your styles.

Edit: I ended up laughing out loud when you ended up running in circle during Kuze's boss fight and him chasing you like a schoolyard bully which is not out of character in the Yakuza universe.
Yeah, I managed to figure those out as I went. Brawler seems more my scene than anything so far.
I just like heavy attacks, man. Admittedly I wasn't thinking too hard on it and just liked seeing Kiryu punch people really loving hard, but I'll switch up my style.
I noticed, if I recall I got about ten million yen just from storming Dojima HQ alone. And I'll make sure to go find where I can find healing items I can carry with me between videos.

I had a feeling he'd be a bit peeved at me for costing him a pinky.

Alright, so I should just wait another chapter then? I'd almost prefer that, I wanna see what happens next, especially knowing just how much gold is buried underneath that Empty Lot.

Just being reminded of that made me chuckle. It's especially funny since Kuze is a big buff old guy covered with tattoos.

achtungnight posted:

Train and upgrade much as you can, with Speedwagon and his associates. And yeah, playing on Easy is probably best since this is your first Yakuza game. Hey I’ve played the whole series practically and I still prefer Easy to experience the story.
Right, I'll make sure to when I'm able to go see him. I have to admit, I don't play too many beat 'em up games, 2D or 3D which helps explains how I got my rear end kicked so hard. (Though I maybe could've gotten through if I went and got more healing items first.)

Appreciate the tips from the two of you, thanks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So yeah pretty much the Empty lot is in the middle of a big area that is going to be bundled up and sold for redevelopment. And it's going to make billions back when sold.

The issue is that if they don't own a spot in the middle of the area and can't do anything as long as they don't own it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 4 - Beast Style

Had quite a bit of trouble with things in this episode. First I get mugged by a giant fedora man, I get lost trying to figure out what to do, and weird technical difficulties interfered with the Beast Style tutorial. Gotta say even after I got it to work, I was a bit disappointed with the Beast Style, and I'm not too fond of the Rush Style either. I guess I'll just have to brawl my way through the game. And I have to say things felt a bit unfair with Mr. Shakedown, since I had no real way of knowing he was there or what he was capable of. Then again he did let me off the hook so I guess it all balances out. And while I had suspicions that Tachibana wasn't exactly a stand-up guy, this weird spy network thing he has going on is pretty creepy. I can see why he could be considered more dangerous than the Yakuza in how threatening he can be.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
There are unfortunately some moments when Rush or Beast style will really make sense to use. And on the Mr. Shakedown guys, you gotta beat them at least 32 times to 100% the game plus farming them is later a great way to get money. The way I did it was to buy a weapon (spicy knife or baseball bat works) and 12 stamina sparks. Then I got really good at dodging. Find Shakedown & fight, repeatedly use weapon heat action, drink stamina spark to get heat back as needed, dodge his attacks and hit him at openings he telegraphs (you’ll see), repeat till he’s down. Spend the money you get on weapon and stamina spark recovery, profit on upgrades (there will be a good bit of profit until it starts taking multiple Shakedowns to buy one upgrade but by then I was having so much fun farming Abobo I didn’t mind).

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Beast style is the best as it allows you to mash Square near motorbikes and swat 5 fools at once.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Beast style is the best as it allows you to mash Square near motorbikes and swat 5 fools at once.
Yup.

As to Mr. Shakedown, I actually wrote a steam guide to cheesing him, but you'll have to wait until chapter 3 to actually use it. (Or rather, wait until you need to grind a lot of money to improve your skills, way later in the game)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Beast seems bad, but honestly, you've just had longer to get used to Brawler. Beast is nothing to sleep on, especially once you start unlocking moves for it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Beast seems bad, but honestly, you've just had longer to get used to Brawler. Beast is nothing to sleep on, especially once you start unlocking moves for it.

beast is absolutely the best, if you remember the two principles of beast mode

-nearby objects are the best way to do damage to enemies
-nearby enemies count as objects

https://i.imgur.com/pHoZHlc.mp4

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

There are unfortunately some moments when Rush or Beast style will really make sense to use. And on the Mr. Shakedown guys, you gotta beat them at least 32 times to 100% the game plus farming them is later a great way to get money. The way I did it was to buy a weapon (spicy knife or baseball bat works) and 12 stamina sparks. Then I got really good at dodging. Find Shakedown & fight, repeatedly use weapon heat action, drink stamina spark to get heat back as needed, dodge his attacks and hit him at openings he telegraphs (you’ll see), repeat till he’s down. Spend the money you get on weapon and stamina spark recovery, profit on upgrades (there will be a good bit of profit until it starts taking multiple Shakedowns to buy one upgrade but by then I was having so much fun farming Abobo I didn’t mind).
Well, dang. I'll just use Brawler when I can get away with it I guess. And I will point out that in the OP I said I won't 100% the game. That being said I'll probably go after some of those Mr. Shakedown guys once I level up more for the cash. And I didn't even know I could get weapons for my inventory. I just assumed you could only use whatever happens to be lying around.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Onmi posted:

I suppose that first bad experience left a nasty taste in my mouth for Beast. Weird controller poo poo aside it felt a bit awkward and having a bunch of weak enemies nearly hand over my rear end to me while I used it was just a bad first impression. I guess I'll have to level it up and practice anyway considering what achtungnight said especially.

Xander77 posted:

As to Mr. Shakedown, I actually wrote a steam guide to cheesing him, but you'll have to wait until chapter 3 to actually use it. (Or rather, wait until you need to grind a lot of money to improve your skills, way later in the game)
Well I for one love to cheese powerful opponents, that kind of stuff never gets old for me. Do I unlock some other new battle style in Chapter 3?

luxury handset posted:

-nearby enemies count as objects
Okay I didn't realize this and it sounds great. I'm guessing this is something I'll have to either learn from Tatsu or buy as an upgrade?

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Hint and tips:
- Use the dodge to move yourself faster in Beast mode. You can escape the swarm if you just dodge repeatedly.
- Flee on sight against Mr. Shakedown early in the game. They are easily spotted from distance because of their really big body and money counter on the top of their head. Should you ended up fighting him, don't worry about losing. Just have your revenge.

Like everyone said already, you underestimated the power of Beast style. If there's any objects like Bike in the battle arena, I can wreck those goons in less than 5 seconds while taking no damage. There's a furniture in a boss fight? Use those and power through their attacks. In fact, I have to hold myself back and not use Beast for completion sake and for mastering the other style.

TheLoneStar posted:

Well I for one love to cheese powerful opponents, that kind of stuff never gets old for me. Do I unlock some other new battle style in Chapter 3?

Okay I didn't realize this and it sounds great. I'm guessing this is something I'll have to either learn from Tatsu or buy as an upgrade?
Technically, yes. But it's not how you cheese them. You'll see later.

Beast throw is an overhead throw that wrecks enemies behind you. And you saw it's Grab HEAT Action against multiple opponents

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, there’s a weapon shop and a few other places you can get inventory weapons. You’ll need to explore to find them, although some weapon shop tutorials are given eventually. Practice and have fun more than anything.

Btw, since you mentioned it in the last video, here’s a word on the Yakuza hierarchy as far as the game goes. The Tojo Clan is the biggest Yakuza organization in Tokyo and Eastern Japan. At its top is the Chairman, whom you have yet to meet. The Tojo is subdivided into various families, Dojima being the biggest. The head of a family is the patriarch- Dojima in this case- and his number 2 guy is the Captain- Kazuma. Lieutenants are next in rank. The Captain and Lieutenants also lead their own smaller families under the Dojima sponsorship. Kirryu was a low ranking but prominent soldier in the Kazuma family before he quit the Yakuza. Nishiki is still at that rank. Because Kazama is in prison right now, there’s a power vacuum. His Lieutenant- Kashiwagi- is handling his duties but needs Dojima’s ok to do anything big. Dojima, being a shitheel, is also looking to replace Kazuma with whichever of his three lieutenants- Kuze, Awano, Shibisawa- prove themselves worthy of the promotion. As the game goes on it’ll get more complicated but that’s where things are now. I’ll add new explanation if you want as you meet more people involved in the story, just let me know.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

achtungnight posted:

Btw, since you mentioned it in the last video, here’s a word on the Yakuza hierarchy as far as the game goes. The Tojo Clan is the biggest Yakuza organization in Tokyo and Eastern Japan. At its top is the Chairman, whom you have yet to meet. The Tojo is subdivided into various families, Dojima being the biggest. The head of a family is the patriarch- Dojima in this case- and his number 2 guy is the Captain- Kazuma. Lieutenants are next in rank. The Captain and Lieutenants also lead their own smaller families under the Dojima sponsorship. Kirryu was a low ranking but prominent soldier in the Kazuma family before he quit the Yakuza. Nishiki is still at that rank. Because Kazama is in prison right now, there’s a power vacuum. His Lieutenant- Kashiwagi- is handling his duties but needs Dojima’s ok to do anything big. Dojima, being a shitheel, is also looking to replace Kazuma with whichever of his three lieutenants- Kuze, Awano, Shibisawa- prove themselves worthy of the promotion. As the game goes on it’ll get more complicated but that’s where things are now. I’ll add new explanation if you want as you meet more people involved in the story, just let me know.
I'm beginning to see why Kazama was changed into Fuma in the early western releases of these games. :v:

The only Kazuma is Kiryu.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 10, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, there’s a weapon shop and a few other places you can get inventory weapons. You’ll need to explore to find them, although some weapon shop tutorials are given eventually. Practice and have fun more than anything.

Couple corrections. Kiryu was a member of the Dojima family not Kazama. Nishiki even said he felt it was odd that Kazama sent them into the Dojima family instead of the Kazama one. Speculating it was because Dojima is the more important one.

Kashiwagi is the Captain of the Kazama family. The Lieutenants are likely different guys.

But yeah the rest is right. It's kind of funny how big a Yakuza group can get with all the subsidiaries. A Lieutenant in the Dojima family being the patriarch of his own family with it's own hierarchy.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hint and tips:
- Use the dodge to move yourself faster in Beast mode. You can escape the swarm if you just dodge repeatedly.
- Flee on sight against Mr. Shakedown early in the game. They are easily spotted from distance because of their really big body and money counter on the top of their head. Should you ended up fighting him, don't worry about losing. Just have your revenge.
Thanks for the tips, wish I had remembered that first one for today's episode, it slipped my mind and I got piled on.

achtungnight posted:

*Yakuza explanation*

MonsterEnvy posted:

*more Yakuza explanation*
That really clears up the whole hierarchy thing, thanks. Seems like I was at least on the right track with how things work, but some of those details I clearly missed.

Part 5 - Boozin' It Up

Yeah okay, you all were right. I was really underestimating how powerful Beast Mode is. Given my place in the game and being on Easy Mode, I just keep wiping out opponents in a second or two. Can't wait to see what other stuff I can do with it down the line. Seems like this Tachibana guy has thought of everything with his schemes in hiring homeless people to squat near targets to annoy them away. Still have to wonder how he gets such detailed information on people, which I'm sure I'll find out soon. Also interesting to see this friendship thing in the game where I assume I'm going to help people with some kind of personal problem in exchange for some kind of special item or something. Speaking of which, I completely forgot all the goodies I got through that Steam deal from buying Yakuza 0 before its launch. Seems like I got some really overpowered items from that creepy clown man.

I noticed some items said if I used them a certain amount of times, they break or become useless. Should I just assume if they never specify a number of uses they just remain forever? Just wanted to be sure before I wasted anything.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Every item should have a counter next to it when equipped- that’s the number of uses before it breaks and needs repair to be used again (if we’re talking about weapons that’s how it works).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TheLoneStar posted:

I noticed some items said if I used them a certain amount of times, they break or become useless. Should I just assume if they never specify a number of uses they just remain forever? Just wanted to be sure before I wasted anything.
Infinite use items have an infinity symbol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu6uEPlp9m8

You need to remove two zeros to convert from yen to $. So about 60,000$. (Actually, the conversion rate is like 120 to 1 or something like that, but I generally can't be bothered - you get a good enough approximation the easy way)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 11, 2018

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Try the Pocket Circuit Race. You'll get a taste of how exciting Japanese Children Cart Game is and why even an ex-yakuza like Kiryu can enjoy it.

Don't worry too much about weapons breaking. You can fix them easily. Also, those items that you get from the clown is only a mid-tier stuff. So it's not all that game breaking.

Officer Kikuchi is dumb. He only checks a single item in tour inventory and only that are given to him. So it doesn't matter if Kiryu has a handgun, shotgun, rocket launcher, katana, lightsaber, and lots of objects that are used to cause harm, as long as Kiryu gives the officer his energy drink or tissue, he's clear.

Yeah, Beast is dang powerful, and you still haven't use it to it's full potential.

Edit:
Premium Adventure: Basically post-game free roam.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 12, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Give Kikuchi a weapon if you want, though. I’m not spoiling what happens but trust me, it’s fun. And yeah, definitely check out a Pocket Circuit race.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I will definitely check out the racing minigames once I'm able. And honestly I'm not too sure how much I'll use weapons since I always found fighting with fists to be a lot more satisfying. Unless it's a game where fighting with one's fists would make each enemy take an hour to beat...

Part 6 - Enter Goro Majima

And another chapter done. I wasn't too sure if Kiryu was going to join up with Tachibana or not, but I was thinking he might only because I can't imagine him uncovering all the poo poo he needs to by himself. Kiryu might not be stupid, but he sure doesn't seem like he'd be able to sift through these conspiracies. And now I guess we're off to another city with this Majima guy. I had actually kind of forgotten about that eyepatch man on the cover of the game until I saw Majima go onscreen. That, and I do kind of remember seeing another person's name where a player character's name should be in the pause menus. Not sure how I feel about Majima so far, though admittedly him just non-violently "fighting" that drunkard was entertaining, and of course anyone that has an eyepatch is automatically cool. I just wish I knew I had to take care of some of those substories before ending the chapter because of a location change. I'm hoping I can still go back and do some of them once I regain control of Kiryu.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 15, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Nothing in Yakuza 0 is lost forever

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

And now I guess we're off to another city
I can see you're paying more attention than Slowbeef and the Giant Bomb East guys in their respective LPs. Took them long enough to notice that they'd switched cities, even though literally the first thing you see in chapter 3 is the text "Sotenbori, Osaka" over a shot of the river. :v:

For some reason, though, this video's running at what seems like half speed, or rather half the frame rate and gameplay speed, so you might want to sort it out. (Yes, I have my Youtube playback speed set to normal, that is not the issue)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 14, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Omi Alliance is the other big Yakuza group in the series, the one that rules over West Japan where the Tojo Clan controls the East. You'll learn more about them and Majima as the game goes on, I really don't want to spoil it. Suffice to say for now, Majima is probably the most awesome character in the game.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Your fists are strong enough to carry you through the whole game. A single combo is enough to knock out a single enemy at your current, and HEAT Actions does deals really high amount of damage.

Bosses have high resistance against bullets. So you can't just whip out a handgun and shoot the bosses multiple time until they're down. That'll be anticlimactic.

Every 2 chapters the main characters change. So in chapter 5, you're back as Kiryu again. So that's the time to complete any substories you've missed. Don't worry, they're all still available as nothing is missable. Except story specific achievements.

Doc M posted:

For some reason, though, this video's running at what seems like half speed, or rather half the frame rate and gameplay speed,
Yeah. I noticed that as well. Why's the video so slow? It kinda makes the video so boring to watch I quit halfway through the video.

I'm gonna close my comment with some words from the wise.

achtungnight posted:

Suffice to say for now, Majima is probably the most awesome character in the game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Onmi posted:

Nothing in Yakuza 0 is lost forever
Okay, good. Hate it when games make sidequests able to be permanently missed, especially without warning.

achtungnight posted:

The Omi Alliance is the other big Yakuza group in the series, the one that rules over West Japan where the Tojo Clan controls the East. You'll learn more about them and Majima as the game goes on, I really don't want to spoil it. Suffice to say for now, Majima is probably the most awesome character in the game.
Okay, that makes sense. I guess with words like "clan" and "family" being used to describe Yakuza groups so far, the "alliance" thing threw me off. And Majima certainly seems...interesting so far. I mean I really can't hate a guy that uses a towel to attempt to subdue someone...and has a rocking eyepatch.

Doc M posted:

For some reason, though, this video's running at what seems like half speed, or rather half the frame rate and gameplay speed, so you might want to sort it out. (Yes, I have my Youtube playback speed set to normal, that is not the issue)

Yeah. I noticed that as well. Why's the video so slow? It kinda makes the video so boring to watch I quit halfway through the video.
I do apologize for the video's condition. Sadly, it's not something that can be mixed, it was a problem with my Fraps and the game itself, I believe. I wasn't aware of the severity of it as I was going, and I'll make sure it won't happen again.

Your fists are strong enough to carry you through the whole game. A single combo is enough to knock out a single enemy at your current, and HEAT Actions does deals really high amount of damage.

Bosses have high resistance against bullets. So you can't just whip out a handgun and shoot the bosses multiple time until they're down. That'll be anticlimactic.

Every 2 chapters the main characters change. So in chapter 5, you're back as Kiryu again. So that's the time to complete any substories you've missed. Don't worry, they're all still available as nothing is missable. Except story specific achievements.
I think I honestly prefer my fists, it makes Kiryu seem so much more of a badass. That marlin cannon sure was...interesting, though. And good to know when I'll be switching back to Kiryu, really interested in seeing where his story is going.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I don't recommend using Fraps in TYOOL 2018, you've got so many better (free) alternatives like OBS and Shadowplay at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - Odyssey

Well I went around and looked all over, but couldn't actually find any substories. I guess maybe I'm too new to this city to have any available to me. Or maybe I just kept missing what was available. Either way, got to move on with the main story. Really loving the Thug style so far, as it's arguably even more brutal than a lot of the poo poo that Kiryu has been able to pull off so far. I'm also really glad to learn that Soutenbori also has a creepy clown man that gives away free goodies to all the good Yakuza men out there. The Odyssey itself was a rather...interesting experience, let's just leave it at that. Starting to get more curious about Majima and his past, mainly about how he lost that eye of is, and I still think it involves him no longer being a Yakuza member anymore.