Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Beast training is tedious.
Beast training is fine the moment you figure out "block with crate, throw crate". It's kinda like a puzzle, which varies enough to remain interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Wow. That's some bad rail shooting control on keyboard. I guess they're too lazy to adjust the control for mouse + keyboard.

Did you notice that Majima never once said his name in front of Makoto?

Taking down the Billionaire is gonna be slower than the 5 Stars. Each Billionaires have an event when you take 30%, 60%, 90% of their territory with 90% being the battle against them and their goons. Maybe you should show us all the event. The 30% takeover event give us a little bit info regarding the rival.

Rush training is bad, boring, and tedious. Beast training is tedious. Though I think you shouldn't skip the Brawler training since the sub story is pretty good.
Maybe, though I'd put at least half the blame on myself for generally being bad at rail shooting.

poo poo, he never did, did he? I never even took time to notice that. I'm going to guess that's gonna come up sooner or later.

Unfortunately, I had already decided to skip over Electronics King's 30% event by the time this got posted and already recorded the 60% event. It didn't seem worth showing since it was literally just Marina going "Oh, this guy is super smart and even though he's a nerd he's really strong." and it feels a bit disappointing when compared to Majima's stuff. With him he went off to spy, sometimes bringing Youda or a Platinum Hostess along for silly shenanigans. For Kiryu is just a basic dialogue scene, the most entertaining part being Kiryu calling the Electronics King an otaku. But I guess there's no harm in showing the 30% scenes for the rest of the Kings.

Well I'll do all the training, I was more asking if I should show it. Like with Majima's training, nothing really interesting happened during his entire training, with the break dancing guys they didn't even acknowledge I learned all their moves for instance. I just don't know if that's the same for Kiryu or not, and if anything is worth recording.

Part 38 - Electronics King Defeated

Now this was a fun episode. Honestly the Electronics King segment took a backseat to the rest of it, I feel. I really sucked at that arcade game and got completely desimated by the little otaku, but I wanted to record it anyway and was glad I did since it really showed firsthand the kind of guy Electronics King is. And then of course the fight with him was nothing special. As I mentioned in the video, I decided to change tactics and will wait until I can easily make billions of yen off of Kiryu's Mr. Shakedowns before proceeding with the real estate plotline, and I also want some more, better employees to make things run smoother. The real highlight was Miracle loving Johnson though. Was not expecting to encounter a Michael Jackson expy in this game. Though looking back on it, it shouldn't be too surprising since Michael Jackson was a big fan of Sonic, and that Michael Jackson's Moonwalker videogame. It was pretty fun, either way, though I'm just sad no one did the famous Thriller dance.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Serious question - do your just upload uncompressed videos to youtube? Some format it has trouble handling?

I generally don't have that much trouble loading and skipping around long videos, even in HD.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Xander77 posted:

Serious question - do your just upload uncompressed videos to youtube? Some format it has trouble handling?

I generally don't have that much trouble loading and skipping around long videos, even in HD.
I have no idea what you mean, man. I know I've never had troubles with watching or skipping about the videos I upload.

Part 39 - Kiryu's Future

Already stepping away from the real estate stuff already 'cause I gotta make cash first and foremost. I did enjoy the extremes that Egashira goes to in his quest to become the most powerful organic lifeform on the planet. Reminds me of Yujiro Hanma, except Yujiro actually succeeded in his goal. Other Mr. Shakedown was pretty boring but oh well. The Tax Lady substory was pretty fun, if only due to how, uh...eccentric the tax woman was. I also didn't expect to get a peek into future Yakuza games through a fortune teller, something so direct and kind of absolute. I'm wondering, don't tell me the answer, whether the taxi thing and the eight children are just part of some weird substory if they're part of something actually important somehow. The eight children thing especially. Despite what I said in the video, I think I may actually show a little bit of real estate stuff next video, if only just the 30% and 60% events for the Pleasure and Gambling Kings. I bought all their purchasable properties and I guess I kind of forgot just how high the percentages can go from doing that. I'm just thinking I might as well show those off while they're ready, and the video after that I can take both of them down in one fell swoop.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 40 - Need Bizza

Well, turns out the Pleasure King is the most evil of the Billionaires so far. The Billionaires as a whole seem to be less villainous than the Stars, at least so far. If I recall right, Leisure, Electronics, and Gambling so far are just kind of assholes but don't do anything too malicious outside of that. Really got ticked off that I was a mere second away from beating the Pleasure King's challenge, though it's my fault for making so many dumb mistakes. Sure had a lot of fun with the Gambling King's challenge though, and not just because I managed to win. I also got a pretty good kick out of some of the substories I did in this episode, most notably the mushroom dealer and the "bizza" delivery. The latter especially was the most fun I had in a substory since switching back to Kiryu again. Really makes me glad I decided to do all of them. I have things set up with the Pleasure and Gambling Kings for the next video, just gotta make some investments and they'll be at 90% and ready for a beatdown.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Yeah, the Pleasure King is a [bleep], but really do you know of any pimp in any story who isn’t?

Kirryu’s Future- yes, the eight kids thing is real. He manages an orphanage in Yakuza 3. He drives (and races) taxis in Yakuza 5. Kirryu is a pretty versatile hero.

Glad you also like Egashira. I kept hoping he’d show up in a spacesuit in a future a Yakuza game as an optional boss but sadly he hasn’t yet.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 10, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, the Pleasure King is a [bleep], but really do you know of any pimp in any story who isn’t?

Kirryu’s Future- yes, the eight kids thing is real. He manages an orphanage in Yakuza 3. He drives (and races) taxis in Yakuza 5. Kirryu is a pretty versatile hero.

Glad you also like Egashira. I kept hoping he’d show up in a spacesuit in a future a Yakuza game as an optional boss but sadly he hasn’t yet.
poo poo, didn't even stop to think about relating him to a pimp, more like a human trafficker.

Man c'mon, I specifically said not to tell me if it's part of some substory or part of a main plot. Oh well, too late now.

He was certainly entertaining. He'll also have a special place in my heart for being the first Mr. Shakedown I met...and got completely obliterated by.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 41 - Pleasure King and Gambling King Defeated

Well, now all that's left is the Media King. Not really sure why this guy explicitly needed to be last. I guess just so the game makers would only have to create one scene of him and The Trillionaire once the other four Billionaires get defeated. Feel like it should've been the Gambling King since I'm pretty sure it was mentioned he has more cash than the other Billionaires, but whatever. Curious as to what the Trillionaire's deal is, and why we don't get to see his face. I want to say it's just to make him mysterious, but I also feel like I'm just looking too deep into it. And yeah, accidentally got sucked the gently caress into the Pocket Circuit business, mainly due to the hilarity of the substories involved. Hoping to get it all wrapped up in this next video, along with getting Pocket Circuit Fighter's friendship meter all filled up. Looking back I realized I spent about ninety minutes on this side content I had never planned to visit again. To be honest if there weren't substories, I wouldn't have bothered showing any of this stuff onscreen, most likely.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 42 - Pocket Circuit Complete

Did I mention I hate dance battles? 'Cause yeah, I hate dance battles. Hopefully this will be the last one I ever have to do in this game, can't imagine another scenario where I have to do one. Media King making Marina dance with the punishment of death if she doesn't stop was kind of amusing though. The Pocket Circuit racing substories (and the Fighter's friendship story) continued to amuse me greatly. Harumi getting actually jealous of Mika was God drat hilarious. Also I really should have expected to have to race Fighter at some point, though he turned out to be a lot easier than some of the previous opponents. Guess luck was just on my side with him. I got about 90% of Media King's property now, so next video I'll be able to finally take him out and the mysterious Trillionaire guy. Really excited to see what Kiryu's fourth Style is like. I'm sure it will be just as cool and powerful as Majima's. At least I hope so.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 43 - Media King and Finance King Defeated

Finally, the real estate subplot is completely done, as well as all of Kiryu's substories aside from his very final one. Now I can finally focus on the main story for a whopping three chapters in a row. The Finance King reveal was...alright I guess, though it kind of felt unneeded. I liked Tsukiyama and his situation more but whatever, no big deal I guess. As for Kiryu's Legendary Style...it's alright. I think I got a bit spoiled by Majima becoming a human buzzsaw, so Kiryu just kicking a bit more felt pretty weak in comparison. I still really like his Heat Attack of driving his opponent's face into his knee. The mushroom guy's little story had a pretty amusing ending, and I thought he was just gonna finally smarten up and start selling his mushrooms on the crowded, populated streets so no one thought he was a drug dealer. The real ending was of course much better. Also surprised that reporter substory doesn't have a third part, I thought maybe Kiryu was gonna reveal "Bossman" and his identity and break up that human trafficking business, but I guess it's just not meant to be.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congrats on catching up on so much of the game. Sorry it took till my day off to watch and enjoy the videos. Keep up the good work and hope you can finish the game soon.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Congrats on catching up on so much of the game. Sorry it took till my day off to watch and enjoy the videos. Keep up the good work and hope you can finish the game soon.
Don't worry about it, I'm just glad people are still watching after so many videos and so many months. I'm hoping by next week I'll be all done.

Part 44 - Tachibana Captured

And so the main story continues and holy poo poo did things just ramp up quickly. That being said, this final(?) Kuze fight was kind of a letdown compared to the others. Even the first one ended with the guy cutting off a finger. Though I guess they didn't want to derive attention from Tachibana's torture and death, so that makes sense I suppose. This is of course assuming this is Kuze's death, which I think it probably is since I don't think there's ever been more than one big boss battle in one chapter, and Kiryu only has one left. I actually felt kind of sad about Tachibana's death, or at least Makoto's reaction to it; it got kind of hard to watch when she broke down. Things are depressing with Majima too, him letting those three punks just beat the poo poo out of him like that. And there's no way things aren't gonna keep escalating at what will probably be an alarming rate and I'm pretty drat excited to see what happens next. Hoping to get to the Final Chapter in the next video, then there will probably be only two or three after it and I can close the book on this playthrough once and for all.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 18, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 45 - Makoto's Struggle

This game is trying to break my heart. There's just no other explanation. Didn't realize how much I liked Makoto until she started to really get emotionally stomped on and actually get critically injured. Kashiwagi was a pretty easy boss that I didn't expect to have to fight. For the most part I kind of forgot about him since he's done just about nothing the entire game. I have the feeling he's from one of the chronologically future games where he's more important, otherwise why even include him in this game and do so little with him? I knew as soon as Makoto turned herself into the Dojima Family that things would go south, but God drat I didn't expect her to get shot like that. Can't wait to beat the poo poo out of that assassin guy later on. Still really enjoying just how completely broken the Mad Dog of Shimano Style is. The Heat Attack is pretty much a one-hit K.O. on any regular mook (and it takes out three every time) and I only need to get a little bit into the second bar to use it. Then there's that one move I kept using over and over where I just kept having to tap E to use it. Makes Kiryu's Legendary Style look pitiful in comparison.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 20, 2019

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I don't know about Mad Dog of Shimano being more powerful. You're playing on easy, so bosses won't put up much of a fight. I fail to see how it could work in a boss fight on normal or above. The 1st hit on the combo takes so long to strike bosses on HEAT mode would have no problem dodging it and the only available HEAT Action against bosses is the hand stab. Though it's counter move is very powerful (It's even more so in PS4 version as it's bugged yoy don't need to be in at least HEAT level 2 to use it. It's fixed in PC Version however). I find Dragon of Dojima to be more practical as it works well in both one on one and against mob with it's double finishers and chain throw. This is just my observation however. I never use Mad Dog in boss fight as I obtained it post-game.

Lao Gui is like Dojima's personal reverse Deus Ex Machina. His appearance is very limited, but everytime he appears, very bad shits happens to our protagonists.

Just a little heads up. The final battle is really long. It can take at least 2 hours from the point of no return to the end credit

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 46 - Kuze and the Amon Clan

Somewhat of a frustrating episode, and apologies for some annoying reactions on my part during the course of it. That aside for a second, I was kind of surprised I fought Kuze again, though I guess thinking about it...the last one didn't really finish off on a strong enough note for the final battle between these two. Aside from that I didn't get much done this episode in terms of the main story. I did, however, finish up all the subplots for both Kiryu and Majima...and holy gently caress was it annoying. These Amon guys were so terrible to fight that I didn't even really feel satisfied when they were finally taken down, especially So Amon. I heard from the Something Awful LP Discord chat that apparently these Amon guys show up in every game, and this is one of their easier incarnations. Really not looking forward to fighting these guys in later playthroughs, that's for drat sure.

But, good news, I got it done and the next video should be the grand finale. Almost bittersweet, in a way.

I don't know about Mad Dog of Shimano being more powerful. You're playing on easy, so bosses won't put up much of a fight. I fail to see how it could work in a boss fight on normal or above. The 1st hit on the combo takes so long to strike bosses on HEAT mode would have no problem dodging it and the only available HEAT Action against bosses is the hand stab. Though it's counter move is very powerful (It's even more so in PS4 version as it's bugged yoy don't need to be in at least HEAT level 2 to use it. It's fixed in PC Version however). I find Dragon of Dojima to be more practical as it works well in both one on one and against mob with it's double finishers and chain throw. This is just my observation however. I never use Mad Dog in boss fight as I obtained it post-game.

Lao Gui is like Dojima's personal reverse Deus Ex Machina. His appearance is very limited, but everytime he appears, very bad shits happens to our protagonists.

Just a little heads up. The final battle is really long. It can take at least 2 hours from the point of no return to the end credit
It just feels more powerful to me, at least on the mode I'm playing. Again I cite the Heat Attack that lets me absolutely demolish three normal mooks at once. Or maybe Majima becoming a whirlwind of cuts and slashes just feels so much more effective than what Kiryu does, which isn't too radically different than Brawler or Beast Styles. I mean both work out for me and I'll continue using both through the final chapter either way and I enjoy using them to beat the poo poo out of Yakuza and other guys deserving of a beating.

He certainly gets stuff done. Really love his ninja-like moves after he shot Kiryu.

Jeez, that's long. I'm probably gonna do it all in one video, gonna just have to try and clear things out as fast as I can.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 22, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congratulations on getting this far. Don’t worry, the final boss fights aren’t that bad on Easy. They do feel suitably Epic though.

Btw, if you’re curious, you’re not missing anything ignoring the Sega girls’ Friendship meters. All they get you is the challenge to beat a succession of high scores at Outrun & Space Harrier, then a new game in the arcade when the meter’s maxed (Super Hang-On motorcycle racing & Fantasy Zone slash em up respectively). Also a couple softcore videos, same as the other game females, and some really bad blue balls humor. I agree it’s not worth it. You also get the chance to use their property in your Real Estate or cabaret games and that is worth it, but you finished those games already. At least the bowling lady is easy since you just have to play (the only challenge is the turkey, and the rewards there are worth the practice it takes to succeed IMO).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The Amons are superbosses who require you to both be familiar with their gimmicks (So keeps running to grab invulnerability drinks - you can get to them and get invulnerability yourself) and be very good at the game to win.

The Jo Amon video you're (probably) talking about had a bunch of bonuses to damage due to being on critical health.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Congratulations on getting this far. Don’t worry, the final boss fights aren’t that bad on Easy. They do feel suitably Epic though.

Btw, if you’re curious, you’re not missing anything ignoring the Sega girls’ Friendship meters. All they get you is the challenge to beat a succession of high scores at Outrun & Space Harrier, then a new game in the arcade when the meter’s maxed (Super Hang-On motorcycle racing & Fantasy Zone slash em up respectively). Also a couple softcore videos, same as the other game females, and some really bad blue balls humor. I agree it’s not worth it. You also get the chance to use their property in your Real Estate or cabaret games and that is worth it, but you finished those games already. At least the bowling lady is easy since you just have to play (the only challenge is the turkey, and the rewards there are worth the practice it takes to succeed IMO).
Thank you. And I wasn't really worried since I'm on Easy Mode. That, and if I can beat the Amon guys, the final bosses shouldn't be too much trouble.

I mean I didn't really expect to be missing much, most of the friendship sidequests just give a property...and sometimes no prize at all in the case of the Mr. Libido ones. I guess I just mostly felt a bit bad because I was just two friendship quest-things away from completing all the major side content. That Nugget joke was almost worth the trouble honestly. Those three strikes really gave me a lot of trouble, I swear those pins had a mind of their own.

Xander77 posted:

The Amons are superbosses who require you to both be familiar with their gimmicks (So keeps running to grab invulnerability drinks - you can get to them and get invulnerability yourself) and be very good at the game to win.

The Jo Amon video you're (probably) talking about had a bunch of bonuses to damage due to being on critical health.
I heard that the Amons from the other Yakuza games have even more annoying gimmicks and are even harder, is that true?

poo poo, didn't even consider that. Makes sense.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 47 - Black and White

And finally, the playthrough ends. The finale is here. And boy what a bombastic finale it was. Bunch of boss fights, lots of guns going off, explosions and swords and holy poo poo was it fun. I was surprised that Majima got two final bosses while Kiryu only got one, but it isn't enough of a negative for me to really care too much. I will say I was pretty disappointed that I never got to punch Dojima's face in but what can you do? I was expecting him to be the final boss of Kiryu's story, rather than Shibusawa. A tad annoyed that the "Where are they now?" epilogue spoiled me on some things, like some bad poo poo is gonna go down involving Nishi during Yakuza Kiwami, for instance. Really looking forward to seeing what goes on with him since he's currently my third favorite Yakuza character, of course my top two being Kiryu and Majima. Speaking of which, I felt slightly blue-balled that the two never got to properly interact, only during a thirty second stinger at the end. I'm guessing they meet for the first time (or talk about their first meeting) in Yakuza 1 that they didn't want to retcon or something. Also the end to Majima's story just broke my drat heart, Makoto didn't ever get to know his name or face and he has no choice but to just kind of watch her from afar. Poor cyclops deserves so much more. Either way, so glad I decided to do a playthrough of this game; despite the crashes that plagued certain parts, I had a real blast with it. It was funny, surprisingly emotional, brutally violent, and there was just so much to do around Kiryu and Majima's respective cities. Can't wait until February 19th because I know I'm gonna be doing a playthrough of Yakuza Kiwami really soon after it comes out.

Thanks to all that watched my playthrough and participated in the thread, giving me pointers and hints as well as clearing confusions and misconceptions I had. Hope to see you in the Yakuza Kiwami thread in a month.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad you had a good time, congrats on finishing the game, yada yada yada. Happy we could help you enjoy it. Looking forward to the next playthru you put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Well technically, they both fights 2 bosses in their final chapter.

The boss fight against Shibusawa instantly makes him one of the best villain in my eyes. Goddamn! It was so great. His fighting styles and 3 phases mirrors Kiryu's own fighting style. He basically uses Rush, Beast, and Dragon of Dojima in his bossfight. Also, the ingame tips for his boss fight doesn't tell you how to defeat him. Instead, we got this awesome gem:

"Dragon battles against dragon, each fighting with all the strength they can muster. Answer speed with more speed, and power with more power.

Remember everything you've learned up until now to come out on top."

Congratulations on finishing up the LP and completing (almost) everything the game has to offer. It's just 20 more days until Kiwami is released on Steam.

If you like Majima in this game, then you're going to love in very numerous appearance in Kiwami 1 and the mechanic revolves around him.

A little Trivia: At the Post-game, only Awano's character profile gets updated detailing his death in Lao Gui's hand. No mention for Shibusawa, Kuze, Lao Gui, Dojima final fate though.